• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any impressions on how Kirby is in SSBB? I'm thinking that Sakurai de-gimped him from his Melee iteration (hopefully). Assuming Ness is in as well I hope he's closer to his SSB64 usefulness. Useful Ness. Ah ha ha.

TreIII

Scalpel Knight said:
Are there any impressions on how Kirby is in SSBB? I'm thinking that Sakurai de-gimped him from his Melee iteration (hopefully). Assuming Ness is in as well I hope he's closer to his SSB64 usefulness. Useful Ness. Ah ha ha.

Go back and read some of the various World Hobby impressions a couple pages in the past for the full details.

But, to put it bluntly...Brawl Kirby does more to remind people of his glory days from SSB, instead of the lackluster pufball we got for Melee.

Some noticable things:

* New Dash Attack; gone is the fireball dash, and in is the Yoyo Twirl from Super Star, which is much more useful
* Aerial Hammer is now a double hitter, instead of the "spiral" from last time
* His throws are un-escapable now, specifically, the backthrow is much better now
* His Down+A Aerial now basically auto-combos like it did in SSB

So, in essence, Kirby fans have a lot to be pleased about.

Jiggy37 said:
DS is right on the verge of beating out SNES for me. It hasn't gotten there yet, but there's so, so much on the near horizon that I think it's going to take over as my favorite ever within--oh, say, eight months maximum.

♥♥♥ DS.

It's definitely approaching that territory, but still, I would need a few more things for the DS to truly take its proper place as the king.

1) A 2D Metroid game; Super Metroid was one of the games that made the SNES so grand, and I would need for the DS to have its own answer to be able to compete.

2) A truly outstanding Mario game. NSMB was great fun, but definitely not in the same club as say, Super Mario World or Yoshi's Island. Grant me that (where the hell is my NSMB2, Nintendo!?), and that's another good point.

3) Fighting games. Where the hell are my fighting games?! Jump Stars, Bleach DS and Draglade are nice starts, but still, are no-where near the kind of stuff that the SNES got during its prime. I would have thought that Capcom, SNK and ASW would have been on this seemingly eons ago...but they're still seemingly out on that. (And SNK is busy making the likes of loli-fondling sims...WTF?!).

Get me those three things, and then I'll talk about DS's royalty standings in full.

TreIII

Only thing I've heard is that it's not quite the same timing as it was in SSB. It's a bit a tighter now, so you can't just basically expect it to be brain-dead easy as it once was.

Still...having it back does a lot to make Kirby VERY good.

Jiggy

TreIII said:
* His Down+A Aerial now basically auto-combos like it did in SSB

So, in essence, Kirby fans have a lot to be pleased about.
So awesome. :eek: I hope this is true for Jigglypuff as well. (Although her down air might do less damage since it doesn't have that pause like Kirby's. Unless they got rid of that pause too!)

Apparently, this is what the WW Link trophy translates to:

""Casual Wear Link" Trophy
It's Link in casual wear. He's wearing a cut-and-sewn V-neck shirt with a lobster design on both front and back. His orange capri pants coordinate his outfit. He's known as the fashion leader among the residents of Outset Island. Compared to his well-known green outfit, this one is more leisurely.
[Gamecube] The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker"

So I'd definitely say that WW Link is playable.

A Link to the Snitch said:
Apparently, this is what the WW Link trophy translates to:

""Casual Wear Link" Trophy
It's Link in casual wear. He's wearing a cut-and-sewn V-neck shirt with a lobster design on both front and back. His orange capri pants coordinate his outfit. He's known as the fashion leader among the residents of Outset Island. Compared to his well-known green outfit, this one is more leisurely.
[Gamecube] The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker"

So I'd definitely say that WW Link is playable.

I don't buy the whole cell-shaded link idea. Unless they're planning on building an entire cell-shading engine just for one character, which I don't see happening. To get that effect without building a whole engine around him they would have to make him 2D, which wouldn't really look the same.

Gekkonidae said:
I don't buy the whole cell-shaded link idea. Unless they're planning on building an entire cell-shading engine just for one character, which I don't see happening. To get that effect without building a whole engine around him they would have to make him 2D, which wouldn't really look the same.

...How would that even be hard? It's not like cel-shading is some advanced technological device.

RedShift

I'm predicting the SSE powerup update.

Fridays seem to be the go-to day for adventure mode, and it's been a while since we've had one

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Gekkonidae said:

They built a cel-shading engine in the last Smash Bros. for just one level.

...How would that even be hard? It's not like cel-shading is some advanced technological device.

It's not groundbreaking work, it just implies building a whole nother graphical engine into the game and figuring out how to make it work in sync with the normal 3-D engine. It wouldn't be prohibitively difficult, just hard enough to not make it worth the manpower it would take to make it work.

Gekkonidae said:
It's not groundbreaking work, it just implies building a whole nother graphical engine into the game and figuring out how to make it work in sync with the normal 3-D engine. It wouldn't be prohibitively difficult, just hard enough to not make it worth the manpower it would take to make it work.

...But it isn't hard.

Fireblend

Banned
I'd say it's not that hard. Plus the yoshi stage looks cel-shaded already to me, doesn't it? If I had to say whether that Pajama-link trophy increases his chances as a playable character or not, I'd say it does thanks to it being an alternative outfit, but I wouldn't bet on that either. He would be a great replacement for Young Link tho; I would probably even have to give up Lucas to play him.

Here:

stage03_070612a-l.jpg

...But it isn't hard.

You may disagree, but in my experience in working with 3-D engines, that would be a whole lot of work. I know they could do it. But I don't think it's worth the effort.

I think it's far more likely they would fake the cell-shading with some kind of 2-D. I don't think they would end up doing that either.

ganon%20wind%20waker.JPG

Cell Shaded Ganondorf is a really good looking character model. If they include WW Link they better include WW Ganondorf as well.

We'll probably just end up with the TP models, I'm not complaining though.

Personally, I just object to the idea of different versions of the same character taking up character slots. It bugged me in Melee and I think and hope that's something they'll stay away from in Brawl.

Teasel

you know there was something i was thinking... in melee every playable character had 3 trophies,a trophy that talked about character and 2 trophies that talked about their special moves and there was a trophy for every game mode, now that the characters have a final smash too,every character should have 4 trophies which should translate to another game mode (probably boss rush)
and having wind waker link in casual clothes doesn't prove anything

Gekkonidae said:
You may disagree, but in my experience in working with 3-D engines, that would be a whole lot of work. I know they could do it. But I don't think it's worth the effort.

I think it's far more likely they would fake the cell-shading with some kind of 2-D. I don't think they would end up doing that either.

Twilight Link isn't popular in Japan, but Wind Waker Link is, and ranked high on the poll.

The difference in popularity warrants usage of cel-shading.

Developers mix 3D and cel-shading constantly - Dark Cloud 2 anyone?

Teasel said:
you know there was something i was thinking... in melee every playable character had 3 trophies,a trophy that talked about character and 2 trophies that talked about their special moves and there was a trophy for every game mode, now that the characters have a final smash too,every character should have 4 trophies which should translate to another game mode (probably boss rush)
and having wind waker link in casual clothes doesn't prove anything

Answer this - would an NPC get a costume about nothing but his clothing?

Gekkonidae said:
Personally, I just object to the idea of different versions of the same character taking up character slots. It bugged me in Melee and I think and hope that's something they'll stay away from in Brawl.

And see, I gotta say that your opinion is slanted, because you simply don't like the idea of another Link.

However, all that matters is that he's a different character. Different moveset, personality, relationships, voice, homeland, quest, role, origin, etc.

Gekkonidae said:

Young Link was a throw away character you're definitely right about that. Previously I was hoping the cell shaded models would be alternate costumes, but with what we saw the last time Brawl was shown that is looking doubtful. I don't want separate character slots either, I mostly just wanted to get the chance to beat the crap out of WW Link using TP Link.

LegendofJoe said:
Young Link was a throw away character you're definitely right about that. Previously I was hoping the cell shaded models would be alternate costumes, but with what we saw the last time Brawl was shown that is looking doubtful. I don't want separate character slots either, I mostly just wanted to get the chance to beat the crap out of WW Link using TP Link.

It's not TWW Link's fault that TP was inferior.

All I know is Wind Waker Link and an Animal Crossing Villager are the only two characters I want in the game that haven't been confirmed.

C'moooon Sakurai...

It's not TWW Link's fault that TP was inferior.

I don't argue individual opinions, but I preferred TP over WW. All the fanboy whining that took place after the unveiling of WW and the huge style overhaul with TP that came as a result is the reason why I want both models of Link in Brawl.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
You know what would be nice?

Alternate unlockable outfits/styles for each character...

Imagine if every fighter had their default version, an alternate costume version, and a cel shaded or "paper" version.

Teasel

Answer this - would an NPC get a costume about nothing but his clothing?
i don't really understand the question,melee had trophies about everything (there even was a cubivore trophy and melee got released a generation ago!) and this one seems to be similiar (for example there is a mario striker trophy)

if you are referring to the fact that the description is kinda silly and pointless and doesn't tell anything about WW link that could only mean there is a WW link trophy in his normal green tunic but certainly doesn't confirm that he's playable

jts

...hate me...
So guys, do you think this game will hit the 10M mark? I was thinking about it today, imo it is absolutely bound to do it.

Teasel said:
i don't really understand the question,melee had trophies about everything (there even was a cubivore trophy and melee got released a generation ago!) and this one seems to be similiar (for example there is a mario striker trophy)

if you are referring to the fact that the description is kinda silly and pointless and doesn't tell anything about WW link that could only mean there is a WW link trophy in his normal green tunic but certainly doesn't confirm that he's playable

1. We got a trophy about a character (which appeared on the N64 first, just thought you should know). That's nothing unusual at all.

2. And your Mario Strikers example shows a playable character with an alternate costume trophy.

3. Why, in the world, would an NPC get a trophy about something so minor?

MisterHero

Gekkonidae said:
G&W Kirby was cel-shaded in Melee. ;)

Can't wait to see WW Link in action. :lol

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
DavidDayton said:
Wait... Kirby's Spin kick of Death is BACK?

I might be able to play that sucker again.

I see what you did there. :D

Regarding the DS, while I don't think that anything can dethrone the phenomenal SNES, in my mind, the DS is well on its way to securing a solid second place. If you count the GBA library, then it's already in second.

And so I don't look like a total "Nintard", my third-favourite is the PS2.

Iam Canadian said:
I see what you did there. :D

Regarding the DS, while I don't think that anything can dethrone the phenomenal SNES, in my mind, the DS is well on its way to securing a solid second place. If you count the GBA library, then it's already in second.

And so I don't look like a total "Nintard", my third-favourite is the PS2.

Freaky, that's my top three.

mio said:
So guys, do you think this game will hit the 10M mark? I was thinking about it today, imo it is absolutely bound to do it.

Well Melee sold 6m so I think it's definitely possible for Brawl to come close to doubling that by the end of Wii's lifetime and with some sort of "Platinum" price slash.

If it has melee-like legs, then 10M is possible. However, part of Melee's long lasting appeal was the relative scarcity of games on the GC. I don't think that will be true of the Wii and hence I doubt that Brawl will continue to be a top selling title two or three years from now.

Gekkonidae said:
If it has melee-like legs, then 10M is possible. However, part of Melee's long lasting appeal was the relative scarcity of games on the GC. I don't think that will be true of the Wii and hence I doubt that Brawl will continue to be a top selling title two or three years from now.

Everyone who bought Melee will buy Brawl, and then some.

Guled

Gekkonidae said:
Well, if you take into consideration the fact the Wii is going to sell a lot more then GC, then it will easily break 10 million. Also, except for Mario Kart (and Wii Fit:lol), there isn't much on Wii's horizon. SSBB will probably be the biggest selling game this gen (yes, even sell more then Halo).

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Tonight being a Subspace update would fit the trend of Friday being Subspace day, so it's totally plausible.

And hey, a new video would be nice to see.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Penguin said:
What would they update on?

Don't we know most of the details?
Unlockable motifs like Metal Gear Solid theme or Mario theme.
Unlockable backgrounds.
Decorate your stage with trophies and stickers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom