• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

EktorPR

MrCheez said:
I see what you guys are saying and I don't disagree with the point, but I'm not convinced that they would refuse to pull two characters from the same game - especially when it's still recent and popular.

Either way, I just really want a female FE character (as I'm sure you all do!) :)

I'm with MrCheez on this one. Titania would be super awesome, but I think Lyn deserves it better.

Haunted

I'd like a female FE character, but I think chances are that either Eliwood is going to replace Roy, or they'll pull another male lord character from an earlier part of the series (yes, even though they'd be Japan only) before a female FE chara is included.

Just a hunch.

But man, I can't wait to see the Mario Kart stage tomorrow!

Jiggy

Not that I don't like Titania (though not as much as Lyn, and since she's not a lord I definitely wouldn't give her much consideration) but, uh... she fights on horseback. :p I mean, I guess they could give her a horse like Wario has his motorcycle, but I'd say Lyn's easily more conducive to Smash. None of Titania's moves would be recognizable compared to her FE animations, whereas a couple of Lyn's could have that potential.

Linkhero1

Haunted One said:
I'd like a female FE character, but I think chances are that either Eliwood is going to replace Roy, or they'll pull another male lord character from an earlier part of the series (yes, even though they'd be Japan only) before a female FE chara is included.

Just a hunch.

Do you think it will be like the Mute City stage in SSBM?

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Jiggy37 said:
Not that I don't like Titania (though not as much as Lyn, and since she's not a lord I definitely wouldn't give her much consideration) but, uh... she fights on horseback. :p I mean, I guess they could give her a horse like Wario has his motorcycle, but I'd say Lyn's easily more conducive to Smash. None of Titania's moves would be recognizable compared to her FE animations, whereas a couple of Lyn's could have that potential.

Yeah, you definitely have good points. I didn't think about the horse or non-Lord thing (which was mentioned before, but I had forgotten about it.)

I'd be really happy with Lyn... what Zeed mentioned though (that she wasn't on Sakurai's polls) is what has been making her seem unlikely in my mind, however.
(But really that applies to every female FE character. :p )

Haunted One said:

:lol

On the topic of stages, I am really hoping we'll see a big-ass, multiple-areas stage soon. Like, the equivalent of Melee's Hyrule Temple. That stage gets has gotten more playtime than any other among my friends and I over the years.

Zeed

Banned
MrCheez said:
On the topic of stages, I am really hoping we'll see a big-ass, multiple-areas stage soon. Like, the equivalent of Melee's Hyrule Temple.
Hyrule Temple would have been awesome were it not for the cave of cheapness where it's almost impossible to die. I too hope for a grand stage, but I'm sure Sakurai will have a little more attention to balance this time around.

Linkhero1

Zeed said:
Hyrule Temple would have been awesome were it not for the cave of cheapness where it's almost impossible to die. I too hope for a grand stage, but I'm sure Sakurai will have a little more attention to balance this time around.
Link + Hyrule Temple + B-UP = cheap as salad

Haunted

Linkhero1 said:
Do you think it will be like the Mute City stage in SSBM?
The short (~1 second) we've seen from the stage so far seems to imply that, yes. Would be hilarious if you could attack (blow up! :lol ) some of the racers again.

I didn't like Hyrule Temple. It simply was too big, so players with higher damage always ran away and then headed towards the cave where it was hard to K.O. others. :(

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Not sure why, but the cave never bothered me. It wasn't super hard to stop someone from camping there or anything... and I never considered it cheap because it was a strategy that was available to everyone. *shrug*

Situations where someone was able to survive up to 300% in the cave were more frantic and fun than annoying to me (since you just had to get ONE good hit in the right spot to send em flyin') :)

Edit: I could easily see how some could not like it though. :p Here's hoping we have good variety in the stages though.. I'll be disappointed if there aren't any HUGE stages to go along with all the tiny and medium-sized ones.

Jiggy

The cave didn't bother me that much either. At the very least, it forced people to learn teching unless they liked getting pinballed. There was also no better place to practice the timing of teching than right there.

MrCheez said:
I'd be really happy with Lyn... what Zeed mentioned though (that she wasn't on Sakurai's polls) is what has been making her seem unlikely in my mind, however.
I kind of agree she's unlikely. :( Very sad to me, though.

Out of my favorite Nintendo girls who aren't already in Smash--Lyn, Sami, Rachel, and Marin (or even Marin as an alternate costume of Malon)--I think Lyn's the only one who has a shot and I still don't see her being in.

Haunted

MrCheez said:
Edit: I could easily see how some could not like it though. :p Here's hoping we have good variety in the stages though.. I'll be disappointed if there aren't any HUGE stages to go along with all the tiny and medium-sized ones.
Totally agreed. I have nothing against bigger stages per se, I just thought that Hyrule Temple wasn't particularly great. More variety is always good.

GamerSoul

Jiggy37 said:
I kind of agree she's unlikely. :( Very sad to me, though.

Out of my favorite Nintendo girls who aren't already in Smash--Lyn, Sami, Rachel, and Marin (or even Marin as an alternate costume of Malon)--I think Lyn's the only one who has a shot and I still don't see her being in.

Wasn't Mia(FE9) included in Sakurai's poll? I'd laugh, if she made it in instead. Bottom line is Sakurai probably wants more female characters in and FE is a good place to look.

As for the stages, I think a good number of them are being modeled after some of the character's movesets so they could be easier used, like Wario's bike.

Zeed

Banned
GamerSoul said:
Wasn't Mia(FE9) included in Sakurai's poll? I'd laugh, if she made it in instead.
Yes she was, and I would throw something if she gets in over Lyn. Such a trivial character.

*shakes head*

Zeed

Banned
Linkhero1 said:
You better start praying he chooses Lyn over her.
Mia is not getting it. It's not happening. Period. She doesn't have any significance in the plot at all. Micaiah would be a much more logical choice if they insisted on selecting from the Tellius saga.

Linkhero1

Zeed said:
Mia is not getting it. It's not happening. Period. She doesn't have any significance in the plot at all. Micaiah would be a much more logical choice if they insisted on selecting from the Tellius saga.
Considering that she was in the poll anything can happen. I just hope he has made the right decision.

Haunted

I don't think that a non-Lord character is even being considered for Brawl. Mia, Titania, Nephenee et.al - not going to happen.

Jiggy

I love Mia and even think she's cuter than Lyn, but in terms of FE plot she's kind of irrelevant, and in terms of Smash gameplay she's automatically much worse than Lyn because she doesn't use a bow. But I'd take Mia in desperation if they really had to put in yet another sword fighter for some insane reason, and were limiting themselves to another FE9/10 character for a second insane reason. At least she'd be another female.

Anyway, I still don't expect Lyn, sad though it may be. :( But hey, probably nobody expected Dr. Mario, Ice Climbers, or Mr. Game & Watch to be in Melee and they're a ton more niche than her. Probably nobody expected Pichu either (though Pichu's not niche). So maybe the fact that a number of us assume she's not in means nothing.

Duderz

Banned
Maxrpg said:
I have no faith in Lyn being in Smash Bros.

She's just not a recognized character, as much as someone loves her here at least. :p

:(

Although I'd be happy just to have a third Fire Emblem character (Titania would be cool), I'd prefer Lyn over anyone. Fire Emblem on the GBA was the first FE game I played, so it's awesome like that.

Jiggy

Mother stage or Kirby stage, former slightly more likely. The Kirby series has really been hurting for updates since the beginning, though, but if it's the "birthday" of EarthBound/Mother 2 I have to go with that one.

Haunted

Considering the Earthbound birthday... maybe it's the Fourside remake I keep dreaming of? One of my favourite stages in Melee.

ant1532

Banned
I don't know if anyone said anything about this, but according to Shane, the Smash team brought in some of the best tourney players to keep elements in the game that the hardcore liked. If true this would make sense with the footstool jump, tethers, and maybe wavedashing???

Haunted

ant1532 said:
I don't know if anyone said anything about this, but according to Shane, the Smash team brought in some of the best tourney players to keep elements in the game that the hardcore liked. If true this would make sense with the footstool jump, tethers, and maybe wavedashing???
:(

Haunted

Zeed said:
What's wrong with wavedashing?
Sakurai should concentrate on the things that make Smash more fun to play for everyone, imo.

As long as that isn't compromised, he can include whatever mechanics the hardcore players deem important. :)

GamerSoul

ant1532 said:

Interesting if true.

How to play: Wave Dash :D

Firestorm

ant1532 said:

What what what what what what
full quote please before I get too happy in my pants
Or source? New EGM or 1up Yours or EGM Live or what?

Sakurai is so awesome. Catering to all fans and pulling it off bitches, this is how you do it

Zeed

Banned
Firestorm said:
What what what what what what
full quote please before I get too happy in my pants
Or source? New EGM or 1up Yours or EGM Live or what?

Sakurai is so awesome. Catering to all fans and pulling it off bitches, this is how you do it
I actually do remember that news about him gathering pro Smash players. It was from a long time ago. But I remember that distinctly.

ant1532

Banned
Haunted One said:
Sakurai should concentrate on the things that make Smash more fun to play for everyone, imo.

As long as that isn't compromised, he can include whatever mechanics the hardcore players deem important. :)
The purpose was since they want to appeal to the casual but make sure to appeal to the hardcore as well.

Haunted

ant1532 said:
The purpose was since they want to appeal to the casual but make sure to appeal to the hardcore as well.
That would be ideal - I trust Sakurai 100% to make the right decisions for Brawl.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I made this wall paper using the portraits that have been added so far. Not as good as the posted previously in this thread, but I thought it was a fun approach

I will probably be updating and tweaking it as more characters are added to the profiles.
edit: pic is link to 1024x768

cvxfreak

I hope the next update concerns Earthbound/Mother myself.

BTW, are there going to be equivalents to the trophies from Melee? Sorry if this has been answered before...

duffey

When stickers were announced, he didn't really rule the trophies out entirely. In fact, he said they were easier to collect than trophies, so I'd say they're in the game still. In addition, it probably makes sense to have them, given that the characters are still trophies that have come to life.

Firestorm

cvxfreak said:
I hope the next update concerns Earthbound/Mother myself.

BTW, are there going to be equivalents to the trophies from Melee? Sorry if this has been answered before...

Stickers. Maybe Trophies and Stickers!

PedroRVD

100 days !!! 100 days remaining !!!

The 100 largest days of my life !!

we deserve a good update today, hope Sakurai have noticed this.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
PedroRVD said:
100 days !!! 100 days remaining !!!

The 100 largest days of my life !!

we deserve a good update today, hope Sakurai have noticed this.
days or updates? How many updates are left?

PedroRVD

I lost track of the remaining updates last week....but now we are 100 days until Dec 3.

the picture you posted is my wallpaper now....i will be updating it as you update your picture.

Zeed

Banned
SuperAndroid17 said:
hmm , maybe snakes' profile? its long due...
Common belief holds that Snake will not be officially unveiled on the site until after the game's release, as he is confirmed to be a secret character and on the Melee site secret characters were withheld until after the release date. This makes sense, and is the reason why I probably won't know the fate of Lyn until after the game is out. We might get Snake's stage though. I'm looking forward to that - Hideo Kojima himself is designing it.

Zeed said:
Common belief holds that Snake will not be officially unveiled on the site until after the game's release, as he is confirmed to be a secret character and on the Melee site secret characters were withheld until after the release date. This makes sense, and is the reason why I probably won't know the fate of Lyn until after the game is out. We might get Snake's stage though. I'm looking forward to that - Hideo Kojima himself is designing it.

oh ic, well thats that then. I didnt know HK was designing the stage. Good news indeed then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom