• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. Is F.L.U.D.D. like AIDS to some of you or something? Surely, there must be a character out of the cast of 40+ that you'll like. If not, why are you here?

Pokemon stadium looks much better and I like that designs are much more consistent with Pokemon. The first stadium was cool, but... I mean, I didn't get them at all.

Im actually glad that Mario has FLUDD, it would make him more different than the previous SSB Marios before, people who may not have used Mario that much may be glad to use Mario due to a more diverse moveset.

Anyway, from the sounds of it, it sounds like a killer move that will boost Mario up a few notches, especially when preventing characters from coming back up.

NeonZ

When you play as Mario and jump on people's head in SSB64/M it doesn't hurt them.

Oh noes! Hopefully they'll fix that for Brawl.
:lol

Already fixed, actually :D (though every character can do it, and it requires pressing jump again).

If you're trying to say I'm nitpicking or something, the only attack that looks remotely the same as Mario Tornado is the one in Galaxy, a game which hasn't even been released yet, and the attack doesn't seem to work anything like the Tornado.

It clearly was an original creation from Smash Bros that now is getting downgraded from its former status and replaced by something from a real Mario game.

Cruceh

Banned
What's with people afraid of change? Do they want it to be exactly the same as SSBM? Cry moar or ban Mario from tournaments.

XSX

Don't let these people who say 'omg this game sucks' or something like that becuase of updates or something. If it's becuase they think there elite, usually there just tournamnet wanna-bes.

And at Bawww guy, Do you 4chan?

On Smashboards, everyone just laughs at the kids who sit in brawl discussion and nit-pick every update.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
:lol the only way this could have been more entertaining is if they had replaced marios up B with FLUDD :lol

I don't really care what they do the characters, and I am happy to see that they are not afraid to change up mainstay characters.

although I would have preferred if they had replaced the cape with fludd since I am a notorious tornado punch spammer. I wonder if the tornado will behave the same now that they are making it an A attack?

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Awesome double update!!

I think Pokemon Stadium will be a blast! The version in Melee was fun, and this one looks to offer some great variety. As someone else mentioned, I hope the fact that he named it "2" is a hint that the original stage will also be in the game. :p (Along with the original Hyrule Castle from 64 please!!) Also, I am happy to see larger levels. :p

FLUDD looks fun, but the most interesting thing about this update that no one has really speculated on much... SAKURAI IS GIVING OLD CHARACTERS NEW MOVES! This is the first evidence of this, right? (If you don't count the "enhancements" to Link's old moves). I think this gives great hope for surprises with the other characters! (And a great chance for Luigi to use his vaccuum, as has been mentioned).

Is this more evidence that Zelda will have a new down B, rather than her Sheik transformation? More evidence that Ganon will get a new moveset too (which we were all assuming anyway, though).

Good stuff!!

Linkhero1

EktorPR said:
The stage is Rumble Falls. Awesome variety. :D

And :lol @ the ridiculous people saying "this is it for them" with Smash Bros. because of the FLUDD thingy...you know what?! Don't buy the game...seriously. You don't deserve this much greatness.
It's not like they always pick Mario XD

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
MrCheez said:
FLUDD looks fun, but the most interesting thing about this update that no one has really speculated on much... SAKURAI IS GIVING OLD CHARACTERS NEW MOVES! This is the first evidence of this, right?

Sakurai specifically mentioned in the text of one of the updates that no character was "safe" and that they were going to be changing moves on a lo of classic characters.

edit:From Bowser Update
smash dojo said:
To be honest, there are a LOT of characters that offer a slightly different flavor this time around.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
scola said:
Sakurai specifially mentioned in the text of one of the updates that no character was "safe" and that they were going to be changing moves on a lo of classic characters.

Hm yeah, I remember him talking about Bowser having a slightly different "flavor", but I just assumed he was talking about the heavy characters no longer being able to flinch on some of their moves.

For some reason I never thought he'd be giving us new B moves with the old characters. Oh well... I'm excited to see what is in store. :)

Baryn

Banned
Mario's new spin is definitely from Galaxy, how is there any question?

I'm surprised at how proudly they are acknowledging the bastard child of the Mario series (Sunshine). I will shudder whenever I see FLUDD.

Lobster

Banned
Threi said:
What the fuck is wrong with some of you people? The character's moves reflect the games they have been in. FLUDD is just ONE of his moves and you people don't want to buy the game anymore because of that? WAHHHH I DIDN'T LIKE SMS WHY DID THEY PUT IN A MOVE FROM THAT GAME WAHHHHH

some of you people REALLY need to grow up.

Most of those complainers probably don't even use Mario.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I love this update, if you dont like changes and are judging without even trying, just stick to Melee, its what you know, right?

Plus, Marios down B sucked, this adds a new level of strategy to his game ... and hes my main! Looking forward to trying it out.

Nabs

Threi said:
What the fuck is wrong with some of you people? The character's moves reflect the games they have been in. FLUDD is just ONE of his moves and you people don't want to buy the game anymore because of that? WAHHHH I DIDN'T LIKE SMS WHY DID THEY PUT IN A MOVE FROM THAT GAME WAHHHHH

some of you people REALLY need to grow up.

seriously.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but what about the possibility of FLUDD acting as a limited hover-pack while Mario is in the air? Some special moves from Melee changed depending on whether you were in the air or on ground-- Kirby's hammer comes to mind. In any case, Mario could DEFINITELY use some help with his recovery.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Not really complaining, as I am not a Nintendo zealot who hated Sunshine (it was just "meh") but I think FLUDD would've been better suited as a generic item instead of a special move for Mario. Then again, I would play Mario quite frequently in Melee, and I would hardly ever use his down+b special. Pokemon Stadium 3 looks kinda cool but that was fairly expected. These past 2 weeks have been pretty meh with regards to updates.

So, We've had a new character, new stage, new moves, and new footage from a Game Mode this week so far. That leaves an item/assist trophy for tomorrow? Maybe music?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
SuperAngelo64 said:
I don't hate Fludd. I hate the idea of Mario using Fludd to fight.

Sunshine was a cool game but it was sort've a 'one-time-only' spinoff deal; "Mario goes on Vacation".

It would be like if they replaced Fox's Up+B with the staff from "Starfox: Dinosaur Planet". You know "That one obscure item that the hero used that one time to get himself out've that one obscure situation".

That's what Fludd/Starfox Staff/Luigi Vacuum/etc is to me.
Meh, this game is all about reveling in history. It has the Super Scope as an item, Mr. Game & Watch as a playable character, a Famicom Detective Club trophy, etc. The more references the merrier, imo.

It was a very major item in one of his games, I think that's warrant enough. It's more iconic than the cape; especially considering the cape's function in Smash doesn't even resemble its function in the game it's referencing. At least FLUDD does that much right.

Acerac

Banned
TheOneGuy said:
When you play as Mario and jump on people's head in SSB64/M it doesn't hurt them.

Oh noes! Hopefully they'll fix that for Brawl.
They did. It's called footstool jumping. :)

SantaC

Gold Member
I like the daily updates, I do - but I think I rather had a more conservative style of updates. Likea big update every 3rd or 4th month with video footage instead of small details. I am afraid the day the game comes out that we will know everything about it.

Twig

Banned
NeonZ said:
:lol

Already fixed, actually :D (though every character can do it, and it requires pressing jump again).
Oh shit you're right! Completely forgot.
If you're trying to say I'm nitpicking or something, the only attack that looks remotely the same as Mario Tornado is the one in Galaxy, a game which hasn't even been released yet, and the attack doesn't seem to work anything like the Tornado.

It clearly was an original creation from Smash Bros that now is getting downgraded from its former status and replaced by something from a real Mario game.
Yeah I'm just being a bastard. Still, lots of characters have moves that don't exist in their games at all, whereas at least Mario's is loosely based on previous moves. I mean, you never see Captain Falcon do a crazy flaming kick in the games. Or hump people until they explode. Donkey Kong never head butts people into the ground.

Smash is a crazy world.

WildArms

Best game ever, shame about the sequels
With Mario getting FLUDD and Luigi (probably) getting Poltergust, does this still leave some space for Dr.Mario?

Maybe he can be the one without "gimmicks".

Alright you got me, Dr.Mario was my main in Melee. Also , yes he was VERY different to Mario. *Cries*.

Please Sakurai, even if you make him an alternate costume, keep his differences.

TheOneGuy said:
Donkey Kong never head butts people into the ground.
That was his finisher in some Jungle Beat boss fights, wasn't it?

Granted, that was probably a case of Smash -> Gamecube game rather than Previous Game -> Smash.

Twig

Banned
WildArms said:
With Mario getting FLUDD and Luigi (probably) getting Poltergust, does this still leave some space for Dr.Mario?

Maybe he can be the one without "gimmicks".

Alright you got me, Dr.Mario was my main in Melee. Also , yes he was VERY different to Mario. *Cries*.

Please Sakurai, even if you make him an alternate costume, keep his differences.
It's okay he's my main, too. I'm going to miss him. ):

Actually I'd be happier if he was still present, but really different. Like he used a giant needle and threw virii at people and did... doctor things. The pills were a start, but there's gotta be more, right?
ShockingAlberto said:
That was his finisher in some Jungle Beat boss fights, wasn't it?

Granted, that was probably a case of Smash -> Gamecube game rather than Previous Game -> Smash.
Yeah, I think you're right.

My main problem with Mario in Melee is that he wasn't much like Mario. He had fireballs and he had a jump attack, I guess, but besides that he really could have been any other character in Nintendo's history.

Hell, if you gave Mario's exact moveset to, say, Mega Man and only made model/animation differences, it would be completely appropriate.

Firestorm

The Pokemon Stadium 2 name makes me think that Stadium is still in the game =) Maybe they kept all the old stages... I don't see why not as it wouldn't really require any work o.o;

CTLance

sorryaboutdresden said:
Man, this game needs to come out YESTERDAY.
There, fixed for truth. :D

FLUDD looks like a fun move to me, provided "great distance" isn't just a euphemism. Mario could be deadly around ledges now, that's kinda interesting.

Love the "flying" Pokestage. That, together with the devil and a "scroll down" should be 100% pure evil.

Speaking of evil, Sakurai is such a tease: four types of pokemon stage transformations are announced - and only three of them are shown. shakefistinhelplessrage.gif :lol

I really really hope Luigi and the Poltergust is in Brawl. This could be fun, with the elemental modifications and all that jazz.

Edit: +l. It's "ledges", isn't it?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
CTLance said:
There, fixed for truth. :D

FLUDD looks like a fun move to me, provided "great distance" isn't just a euphemism. Mario could be deadly around edges now, that's kinda interesting.

Love the "flying" Pokestage. That, together with the devil and a "scroll down" should be 100% pure evil.

Speaking of evil, Sakurai is such a tease: four types of pokemon stage transformations are announced - and only three of them are shown. shakefistinhelplessrage.gif :lol

It's the same thing as his "Lets show off only 3 of the special moves"

CTLance

grandjedi6 said:
It's the same thing as his "Lets show off only 3 of the special moves"
Yeah, you're right, of course. :lol
Doesn't make Sakurai any less of a tease. :D

I can't imagine what the electric stage transformation might do... the platform(s?) could be crawling with a few bolts of power, severely restricting movements? Touch one of them and be electrified/sent flying/take severe damage? Or will it be nonflinching damage whenever you touch the ground... or bad weather where you have to stay low or risk being blasted from above, as sort of contrast to the flying stage transformation where you'll probably be in the air nearly constantly. So many possibilities.

Firestorm said:
The Pokemon Stadium 2 name makes me think that Stadium is still in the game =) Maybe they kept all the old stages... I don't see why not as it wouldn't really require any work o.o;

yep, like they did in Melee, they gonna add in the classic stages as well.

Personally, all the stages so far shown have been interesting in some form or another.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
AlternativeUlster said:
Yeah, exactly. Why would people really complain about this? I wonder if Luigi will have a vaccum in Brawl now which will be used to grab items or suck in characters and spit them out.
What if the vacuum was so strong that it stretched and bent the stage slightly, allowing him to grapple edges. Or, say, he's falling to his death, there's no way he can reach the edge, unlike a character above him. As he falls by the edge, he activates his vacuum, and causes an angled incline to form on the ledge. the opponent, rather than grabbing an edge, hits the incline and falls to his or her death, along with luigi. :D

It would be something that would fit the wacky image nintendo seems to be trying to paint with Luigi's moveset.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
flipping_heck said:
yep, like they did in Melee, they gonna add in the classic stages as well.

Personally, all the stages so far shown have been interesting in some form or another.

You know, the Ice Climbers stage "sounded good" too, but holy crap you couldnt pay me to play that stage.

NeonZ

Yeah I'm just being a bastard. Still, lots of characters have moves that don't exist in their games at all, whereas at least Mario's is loosely based on previous moves. I mean, you never see Captain Falcon do a crazy flaming kick in the games. Or hump people until they explode. Donkey Kong never head butts people into the ground.

Falcon or Fox didn't really have any real movesets when SSBM was released, so they had to make up something... However, now that you mention it... DK seems to be the one character who could have a moveset based on his games, but has something entirely unrelated to them... weird.

u guys forgetting that pokemon stadium 1 sucked too? Instead of having the crappy fire and rock areas, now we have crappy air and ice. The other 2 forms and neutral are still cool, just like in melee

Suburban Cowboy said:
u guys forgetting that pokemon stadium 1 sucked too? Instead of having the crappy fire and rock areas, now we have crappy air and ice. The other 2 forms and neutral are still cool, just like in melee
What? Pokemon Stadium was awesome. I hate you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom