• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
fusoya59 said:
Now I'm intrigued. The update says

"Tilt the Control Stick down and press the B Button to charge up..."

So a non-smash down brings up FLUDD, perhaps?

And I wonder what the charge is like? DK Punch charge, or a regular smash charge? Hrmm...

Or maybe we get smash versions of B moves now.

To take it one step further, maybe some character will have the smash and tilt B moves to call out moves (Like Wario's cycle or FLUDD). Yeah, that'd be awesome...

Big Icarus said:
NOOOOOOOO!

Fucking FLUDD?!? Man, Mario was one of my mains, and I never wanted to see that stupid water pistol backpack in Smash Bros. Crap!

He was MY MAIN-MAIN

QQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ugh, I really don't like this FLUDD business.

Jiggy

fusoya59 said:
I've forgotten, but was FLUDD usable in midair (besides the jet pack)? If not then maybe the tornado's a midair down special.
I think it was usable in midair. Even if it was, though, I like where you're going here. Technically, the mechanic was already in place from SSBM for down specials to work differently on the ground, since Peach couldn't pull up turnips in the air. Maybe this is an expansion of that.

dfyb

Banned
i really recommend watching the videos from e3 and nintendo world again. with a lot of the updates, we all act like they're new, but many of them were shown in the videos. breakable platforms in the sky stage, gliding for metaknight, and more.

dfyb said:
i really recommend watching the videos from e3 and nintendo world again. with a lot of the updates, we all act like they're new, but many of them were shown in the videos. breakable platforms in the sky stage, gliding for metaknight, and more.

We all saw that, but it seemed to be rather for cinematic purposes. ^^

usea

dfyb said:
So far we've been able to draw far more conclusions from the updates than of the same material being presented in the trailer. This is mostly due to the text and context, I think.

Dreavus

I never used that tornado move that much, so at least now he has the (hopefully) more useful FLUDD. This looks like it could be a pretty awesome edge guard if he can aim it downwards.

dfyb

Banned
usea said:
So far we've been able to draw far more conclusions from the updates than of the same material being presented in the trailer. This is mostly due to the text and context, I think.
i'm just saying that it was interesting to go back and watch the videos to see many of these updates working in motion.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
stage11_070906c-l.jpg

So we've got Dugtrio and Cubone in the background here.

stage11_070906d-l.jpg

And Skarmory to the left.

So shall we just the gun and say there's no way they can called from a Pokéball. ;)

WildArms

Best game ever, shame about the sequels
What is wrong with you people!! I just woke up now (UK), and this is two AWESOME updates.

Mario and Luigi will be even more different now (Luigi will have the vacuum, obviously), and they still keep the tornado move!

Also, Pokemon Stadium 2 looks ****ing AWESOME.

Great update.

Dr.Hadji

usea said:
I'm disappointed with the pokemon stadium update. Flying and Ice look terrible for how I enjoy the game. Fortunately the stage selection so far has seemed excellent, I can't really complain about the occasional stage that looks not so hot.

I'm really getting tired of people saying this kind of thing toward every little thing. So it'll be tourney legal just to entice a better attitude out of people like you.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
So they snuck fludd in after all. Luckily it sounds more useful than what I thought it would be. And Props to Sakurai for changing Marios moves a bit. :)

Pokemon Stadium 2 looks cool I guess. Ground looks like the standard fair. Ice will be great. Flying might piss me off, we'll see.

KiNeSiS

Banned
Raging Spaniard said:
Sure, and thats fair but also think of the whole way this is presented to US, the consumer. Sakurai is arguably presented as the "be all end all" of this franchise, why? Because for one the team assigned to the project is being kept in secret and #2, its easier for the consumer to relate one game to one person. Mario to Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi with Metroid, Iwata with Kirby ... Sakurai has become synanimous with Smash, whether e likes it or not, really. I could very well see Sakurai naming somebody as HIS successor after this whole ordeal is done, for us its hard to tell because the only man we know that works on the game is THIS ONE GUY, Sakurai .. so really well have to wait and see.

Also, so what if he leaves? Sure the game may be worse, but itll still sell a shitload, I mean just look at Mario Party 8, subpar game but damn its outselling all the previous ones. Were hardcore and would be saddened if people we respect werent invoved in the game, but the general audience has no fucking clue and they will buy Smash just based on the fact that they liked the previous one.

You Fools!
Sakurai Is Just Playing The Game....
He'll Have Nintendo Begging For Him To Do Another Smash Bros (SKU)....
He Will Negotiate A Sweeter Deal For Himself On The Next One....
Sakurai San Will Own Your Soul As Well As The Big N's Wallet!!!!
Learn That Shit The Tactics Of The Screwd....

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Maybe since Mario and Luigi were almost clone of each other in the last game they are splitting their moveset among the two and then filling in the gaps with FLUDD/vacuum

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Big Icarus said:
I allready did! It's not helping. I think this is it for me. I probably wont even buy this game now, I just can't not be angry abut this.

Lamest excuse ever for not buying a game: "One out of about 10-20 moves for one out of 30-40 characters in this game, includes an object prominently featured on a great game, which I happened to not like because of said object!"

usea

Dr.Hadji said:
I'm really getting tired of people saying this kind of thing toward every little thing. So it'll be tourney legal just to entice a better attitude out of people like you.
My attitude and how I enjoy the game are separate things. I have a positive, wait-and-see attitude about the game. I also have an inclusive attitude towards tournament rules, especially in the first year.

I specifically qualified my statement with "how I enjoy the game" because it's beyond reasonable refute. I'm entitled to enjoy the game however I please, just like you are and everybody else is. That you are tired of people enjoying the game in ways other than you just puts your narrow mind on display.

Fuck off, cockgobbler.

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
mario_070906c-l.jpg

Is this a new stage? Looks fun.

Anyway I hope that the N64 stages make a return.

EktorPR

curls said:
mario_070906c-l.jpg

Is this a new stage? Looks fun.

Anyway I hope that the N64 stages make a return.

The stage is Rumble Falls. Awesome variety. :D

And :lol @ the ridiculous people saying "this is it for them" with Smash Bros. because of the FLUDD thingy...you know what?! Don't buy the game...seriously. You don't deserve this much greatness.

WildArms

Best game ever, shame about the sequels
EktorPR said:
The stage is Rumble Falls. Awesome variety. :D

And :lol @ the ridiculous people saying "this is it for them" with Smash Bros. because of the FLUDD thingy...you know what?! Don't buy the game...seriously. You don't deserve this much greatness.

I agree. Please, for the love of god, just stay away from this game. Yes it sucks, yes FLUDD sucks, everything about it is so crap. Don't buy it. Will make it easier for people who actually want this game to find copies.

Lobster

Banned
The pokemon stadium 2 is in need of a decent 3d crowd. It won't matter if it doesn't have one but it would be nice-r.

I have no problem with FLUDD, makes Mario that much more a better choice for me since its obvious we can now easily push people back over the edge when they use their jumps.

I dont care about FLudd but man adding all that gimmickry to Pokemon stadium sorta sucks. I enjoyed it before when the stage design but now with low gravity and ice.... :(

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Lobster said:
The pokemon stadium 2 is in need of a decent 3d crowd. It won't matter if it doesn't have one but it would be nice-r.

I have no problem with FLUDD, makes Mario that much more a better choice for me since its obvious we can now easily push people back over the edge when they use their jumps.

Yeah, exactly. Why would people really complain about this? I wonder if Luigi will have a vaccum in Brawl now which will be used to grab items or suck in characters and spit them out.

Haunted

*puts fingertips together* good, good.

I don't really care for Fludd per se, but any item from a great game is welcomed in my book. To be honest, doing no damage but hurling enemies a great distance... I like the idea! :D Pokemon stage should be interesting with the new changes as well.

Sakurai said:
Terrain that changes suddenly makes fights excitingly unpredictable.
Exactly, Masahiro, exactly. That's what SSBB is all about.

PkunkFury

AlternativeUlster said:
Yeah, exactly. Why would people really complain about this? I wonder if Luigi will have a vaccum in Brawl now which will be used to grab items or suck in characters and spit them out.

Luigi's vacuum will likely be just like Mario's FLUDD but in reverse (pulling characters towards him instead of pushing them away

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
My greatest fear has been realized... Mario has the fucking FLUDD. But whatever, I am still buying the game, as long as they don't screw up with MY Luigi... oh and if it doesn't have online play no purchase for me.

Kevin

Ha ha it is actually cool that they stuck FLUDD in there. I actually liked using that in Super Mario Sunshine. Kind of fun and certainly could be kind of neat in a Smash Bros. game. :D

NeonZ

Fludd seems like an interesting addition with a new mechanic, I don't see why people are complaining.

As for the Pokemon Stadium... it's blatantly called '2', and Sakurai avoided using the same background symbols, raising the chances of the classic one remaining in the game.

Relix said:
But whatever, I am still buying the game, as long as they don't screw up with MY Luigi...

Mario's former B move was an attack that had nothing to do with any of his games, even though he always had more than enough source material to avoid needing to create new attacks...

Luigi has 2 B attacks that aren't based on any of his games... Will both be dropped?

Scribble

I'm glad that they gave him the FLUDD.

For the most part, Mario felt generic compared to characters like Link or Pikachu, who felt like they were ripped straight from their games. This gives Mario more character.

And that Luigi vacuum reverse idea is a good one. They'll probably go through with it.

NeonZ

SuperAngelo64 said:
Mario spinning to attack:

Mario 3
Mario World
Mario Galaxy

Mario Tornado from SSB/M wasn't just 'spinning to attack'. He spun with open arms, hitting the enemy, and then throwing the enemy away at the end of the attack as he stopped and raised his arms. His legs weren't even an important part of the attack, unlike the spin jump in Mario World.

You might have a point with Galaxy's spin, which is pretty similar to the first part of Mario's old attack, but, even so, his spin there seems more similar to Luigi's, hitting and throwing the enemy away, rather than dragging the enemy towards him, it lacks the finishing part too, and Galaxy's spin seems more mobile.

Burli

Pringo
I allready did! It's not helping. I think this is it for me. I probably wont even buy this game now, I just can't not be angry abut this.

.. are you real?

This is it for me. I no longer want to be known as one who partakes in the enjoyment of gaming, because people like you, say things like that.

Sharp said:
Do people here actually hate Fludd or does it just remind them of Sunshine?

I don't hate Fludd. I hate the idea of Mario using Fludd to fight.

Sunshine was a cool game but it was sort've a 'one-time-only' spinoff deal; "Mario goes on Vacation".

It would be like if they replaced Fox's Up+B with the staff from "Starfox: Dinosaur Planet". You know "That one obscure item that the hero used that one time to get himself out've that one obscure situation".

That's what Fludd/Starfox Staff/Luigi Vacuum/etc is to me.

CassSept

Dr.Hadji said:
Hmm...
Anybody has link to these pro smash boards?
I want to see people again saying "Nintendo broke my game, i will never buy it!":lol

Also, Mojo updated again (finally). This time Sonic. For the fourth time.

Varjet

SuperAngelo64 said:
Sunshine was a cool game but it was sort've a 'one-time-only' spinoff deal; "Mario goes on Vacation".
So I guess SMW was also only a spin-off? :p

It would be like if they replaced Fox's Up+B with the staff from "Starfox: Dinosaur Planet". You know "That one obscure item that the hero used that one time to get himself out've that one obscure situation".
Yeah, get away with that shitty cape from my Mario :(

Twig

Banned
I never played normal Mario 'cause he sucks. Dr. Mario was sweet, though. He was my main! So if Doc isn't in, I won't play as Mario at all, so this FLUDD doesn't affect me at all.

Kinda neat, though. I'll certainly give it at least ONE try, to see if Mario is up to snuff at last!
NeonZ said:
Mario Tornado from SSB/M wasn't just 'spinning to attack'. He spun with open arms, hitting the enemy, and then throwing the enemy away at the end of the attack as he stopped and raised his arms. His legs weren't even an important part of the attack, unlike the spin jump in Mario World.

You might have a point with Galaxy's spin, which is pretty similar to the first part of Mario's old attack, but, even so, his spin there seems more similar to Luigi's, hitting and throwing the enemy away, rather than dragging the enemy towards him, it lacks the finishing part too, and Galaxy's spin seems more mobile.
When you play as Mario and jump on people's head in SSB64/M it doesn't hurt them.

Oh noes! Hopefully they'll fix that for Brawl.

Odinson

I like the changes made to Pokemon stadium. Flying will be interesting. It's cool to see FLUDD made it in brawl. To the people complaining you don't have to use it. He still has his tornado, you just have a different button command for it.

Threi

notag
What the fuck is wrong with some of you people? The character's moves reflect the games they have been in. FLUDD is just ONE of his moves and you people don't want to buy the game anymore because of that? WAHHHH I DIDN'T LIKE SMS WHY DID THEY PUT IN A MOVE FROM THAT GAME WAHHHHH

some of you people REALLY need to grow up.

Stuneseht

So i'm guessing those who are mad didn't get the hint when the Sunshine stage was revealed:lol .

I love the idea of using the FLUDD, and hope you can change the noozle while battling- rocket nozzle to get back on the the stage, and dual nozzle to float of fly like peach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom