• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeed

Banned
Haunted One said:
Source for that? And don't say starman.net. :p
I know that IGN has next-to-no credibility here but it's the best I got at the moment:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/810/810757p1.html

The hero and main character of Mother 3 (of what Americans know as the EarthBound series), Lucas was originally intended to replace Ness in the Smash Bros. roster during the development of the last installment, Melee. His debut game, though, got unceremoniously dumped – the original version of Mother 3 was to appear on the Nintendo 64, but the project was scrapped.

Jiggy

Haunted One said:
Source for that? And don't say starman.net. :p
Wikipedia points to this:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/flash/0717/index.html
I have no idea what it says, but I do see the "MOTHER3" in there.

Edit: Okay, okay, Google translation.
To tell the truth at the beginning, it was the schedule which is modified in the protagonist of MOTHER3, but there being a variety, while detouring, it was settled in the original sheath.
Seems right on to me.

Haunted

Zeed said:
I know that IGN has next-to-no credibility here but it's the best I got at the moment:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/810/810757p1.html
Good enough for me, thanks. :)
also thanks, Jiggy. seems legit.

Hm, I predicted earlier that all of the original characters would return, so maybe Earthbound/Mother will get a second character with Lucas this time around? On the other hand, the JP-only Lucas would go against the notion that they're trying to make Brawl as international as possible... ah well, wait and see, I guess.

Oh man, just imagine them announcing Lucas as a Brawl character and the US release of Mother 3 in conjunction - Ami's gonna flip.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
I think its fair for both characters to be in the game. Ness is already part fo the franchise and recognized by non-Earthbound fans while Lucas can be used to see how much interest there is in more Mother games.

Or maybe Lucas will be replaced with Ness in NA.

Zeed said:
I don't believe for a minute that Starman.net got super exclusive secret information from NOA, who have no hand in developing the game anyway, but I do think it likely that Lucas is going to be in. Allegedly Sakurai's been considering replacing Ness with Lucas since before Melee.

Why wouldn't they get info from NoA? Some of the forum members did get to visit the HQ and the visit was referred to in Nintendo Power. Getting such info shouldn't be a stretch. Besides, some of these same folks are working on the Mother 3 fan translation, and are taking this info serious enough to getting the translation finished before Brawl's release, since another tidbit involves
Mother 3's primary villian Pokey and the final area of the game
being featured in some form as well.

And while NOA may have no hand in developing the game, wouldn't they have to localize it for release, hence they must have access to the material to know who's in the game already.

Jiggy

I'm expecting both Ness and Lucas, personally. I could see how they could have justified swapping Ness out for SSBM since he'd only had one appearance before, but by now he's got twice the precedent for being an "expected" Smash character.

Then again, I haven't played Mother 3, so I have no idea how similar or different Lucas is. >_>

Zeed

Banned
Golden Darkness said:
Why wouldn't they get info from NoA? Some of the forum members did get to visit the HQ and the visit was referred to in Nintendo Power. Getting isuch nfo shouldn't be a stretch.
Starman, or at least Jonk, also claimed he knew that the Franklin Badge was coming and on what day (after the fact, mind you). Why anyone outside of Sakurai's web staff would know the updates a week in advance is beyond me, but in any case I simply don't believe that Jonk had anything concrete at all. Even if he did, though, the way he tried to present his information and how he reacted to skepticism is what ticked me off. Everything Starman said is fairly obvious, except perhaps the bit about Pokey.

Haunted

Jiggy37 said:
Then again, I haven't played Mother 3, so I have no idea how similar or different Lucas is. >_>
Same here. I never played Mother 3, so I only know Lucas (and Flint, who seems to be 'the badass' character) from pictures and summaries of the game. Makes it hard for me to get excited for either of them.

Jiggy37 said:
I'm expecting both Ness and Lucas, personally. I could see how they could have justified swapping Ness out for SSBM since he'd only had one appearance before, but by now he's got twice the precedent for being an "expected" Smash character.
Exactly. This also ties back nicely to my Marth theory, by the way. :D

Zeed

Banned
I'm still going with my stage prediction, it's been a while since we've gotten one of those.

Anyway, this is now my 750th post in this thread. That's enough for now, I'm off until Japan Time. See ya.

Firestorm

SuperAndroid17 said:
its almost 2 months before release.

Shouldnt we be getting hands on impressions yet?

and oh , I predict another retarded pokemon! worse than piplup

ani242.gif

Jiggy

SuperAndroid17 said:
its almost 2 months before release.

Shouldnt we be getting hands on impressions yet?
Unnecessary, because Reggie's September surprise is a playable Brawl de--

:lol Nah, I can't even joke about that with a straight face.

Edit:
Golden Darkness said:
Well, Jonk was one of the few Starmen.net members that did get to visit NoA, according to this: http://starmen.net/forum/?t=msg&th=37241

And he wasn't the only one hinting this: http://mother3.fobby.net/2007/08/10/38/

Now are you saying the top passionate fans of Earthbound/Mother are big fat liars, intent on exploting their community?
Again, it wasn't even what he said so much as how he said it. His general attitude, and a sort of surprise that people wouldn't trip over themselves for the sake of believing him.

Jiggy37 said:
Again, it wasn't even what he said so much as how he said it. His general attitude, and a sort of surprise that people wouldn't trip over themselves for the sake of believing him.

Who said anything about Jonk? I was referring to the other Starmen.net figures.

Jiggy

Golden Darkness said:
Who said anything about Jonk? I was referring to the other Starmen.net figures.
Ah, sorry. Somehow I passed over Zeed's posts questioning Starmen, so I missed that they were even in doubt in the first place...

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I hope you can change the backgrounds on the whole menu and interface as well. I like the one that they have for this recent update.

Datrio

SuperAndroid17 said:
perfect

Its Big Pink Shit!

Eggs = Items = Really?

I can see that exact text on the update page for this Pokemon.

Well, there are 493 Pokemon in total, I'm sure some more will get included in the game...

Zeed

Banned
Golden Darkness said:
Well, Jonk was one of the few Starmen.net members that did get to visit NoA, according to this: http://starmen.net/forum/?t=msg&th=37241

And he wasn't the only one hinting this: http://mother3.fobby.net/2007/08/10/38/

Now are you saying the top passionate fans of Earthbound/Mother are big fat liars, intent on exploting their community?
I think that something was probably said at that meeting which they blew out of proportion until it became "Lucas CONFIRMED!!!"

You'll note that no reputable news source is willing to take these "top passionate fans" at their word.

I don't think I've ever implied that they're liars intent on exploiting their community - for all I know they've convinced themselves that what they're saying is the gospel truth. True, my opinion may be tainted by the fact that Jonk was their sole representative here, but the fact that they chose to retroactively claim knowledge of the Franklin Badge makes me highly skeptical of anything else they've said.

Precedent gives me absolutely no reason to trust them, and so I won't.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Last second prediction: Assist trophy for some obscure old game, or something :eek:

MrNibbles

Banned
Sep. 25 Tue. 2007

Diddy Kong: Final Smash

<Rocketbarrel Barrage>

The weapons Diddy Kong wields are his Peanut Popgun and his Rocketbarrel Boost.

His Final Smash makes superb use of both of these weapons!

diddykong_070925a-l.jpg

He has popguns in both hands! And his rocketbarrels are firing!

diddykong_070925b-l.jpg

He flies majestically through the sky!

Wow! The controls make it feel like you’re flying with a rocket pack! It’s really fun. Tilt his body left and right to move.

diddykong_070925c-l.jpg

It’s a popgun barrage! Explosions everywhere!

The Peanut Popgun fires straight down, so you change the peanut firing angles by tilting Diddy left to right. I highly suggest mastering this.

diddykong_070925d-l.jpg

When time runs out, the rocketbarrels explode!

diddykong_070925e-l.jpg

Plus, you can gobble up the peanuts that fall to the ground.

Will you be enjoying some? No? Well, your opponents can eat the peanuts, too. So when your shots don’t hit, your opponents end up recovering damage instead of taking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom