• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Jiggy37 said:
Yeah, I said much earlier in the thread last night that I think Sonic will be top-tier competitively, or at least very close to it. It's really hard to go wrong with characters this fast: see Sheik, Captain Falcon, and Fox in Melee.

Speed always seems to be the deciding factor when it comes to tiers. And speed is one thing Sonic has in spades.

Dr.Hadji

Iam Canadian said:
Ness: He will be in it. If Sakurai brought the Ice Climbers back (don't get me wrong, I LIKE the Ice Climbers), Ness will also return.

Unless Sakurai includes some type of alternate costume/character mode, Ness is out of the game, same with Marth. Lucas looks to play so close to Ness anyway (from what we've seen so far) what would a different skin really do for you?

CoolS

Dr.Hadji said:
Unless Sakurai includes some type of alternate costume/character mode, Ness is out of the game, same with Marth. Lucas looks to play so close to Ness anyway (from what we've seen so far) what would a different skin really do for you?
It never stops ^^

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Brawl gets Sonic, so Sega can have Mario & Sonic at the Olympics

Nintendo wants Monster Hunter 3?
They gotta accept Mega Man in Brawl.

Barter goes a long way in this industry.

Iam Canadian

Dr.Hadji said:

So far Lucas seems to have a different moveset than Ness. We've seen two things from him that may be attacks: that weird psychic wave in the new trailer and that pointing thing he did to Kirby in the initial update. (A Jedi mind trick?) Ness couldn't do any of those.

Besides, giving Lucas Ness' moveset would be a waste. Believe it or not, in the actual games, Lucas and Ness are NOT carbon copies of each other.

Dr.Hadji said:

Luigi not in Large Scuffle X confirmed. :(

Chumly

WastingPenguins said:
Speaking of the delay, wouldn't you guy imagine that Nintendo would be pulling out the stops to get this game out the door for the holiday shopping season? From a sales perspective, such a delay seems like a HUGE missed opportunity.
Im sure Nintendo is BEGGING Sakurai to release the game before the holiday season but in the end he gets to decide when its done.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Dr.Hadji said:

The Fire Emblem remake that is coming out makes Marth even more likely to stay

felipeko said:
It will have 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 holliday.. i don't think they're worried.

I agree with you. :D

I agree that it will keep selling, but I highly doubt that EBgame/gamestop or any of the other chains will be pushing games that are a year old, unless it's their used copies. And by that time the volume of the game in each store will probably be less.

But then, I'm bitter that my one break from work, that I planned on filling with Brawl has been slighted. :D

grandjedi6 said:
The Fire Emblem remake that is coming out makes Marth even more likely to stay

Agreed.

NekoFever

I've just seen the news about Sonic and my interest in this game went from almost nil to somewhere in the stratosphere. It's like they've made my most wanted game from about 1993.

Jiggy

Dr. Hadji said:
Calling Marth for being out of the game is one of the last things I'd do right after they announced a DS remake of Fire Emblem 1. Just saying. >_> [Edit: Beaten many times over.]

And Lucas doesn't look like a clone to me. Even the one similar attack we've seen (forward air with electricity effect) has a different animation, which is what most people judge "clones" by anyway. (Since it's harder to identify moves by the angles they send opponents flying at, etc.) His back air has a different animation and it looks like Fox's SSBM reflection effect, whereas Ness' back air did more of a Zelda magic burst. And then there's that PK move he shot straight upward, slower than PK Thunder but faster than PK Flash.

jts

...hate me...
Maybe Nintendo thinks that SMG can deal with Christmas all by itself. And then this bomb comes out, everyone that had a Wii already bought SMG because they were lacking choices for xmas, and can't resist to buy it. After all we are talking about the GOTF :D

But yes i'm really curious to find out how epic will this baby's sales be and i'll always speculate how greater would they be if it had one more christmas.

felipeko

crowphoenix said:
I agree that it will keep selling, but I highly doubt that EBgame/gamestop or any of the other chains will be pushing games that are a year old, unless it's their used copies. And by that time the volume of the game in each store will probably be less.

But then, I'm bitter that my one break from work, that I planned on filling with Brawl has been slighted. :D
Smash will be full price, so no reason for retailers to "not push" (Nintendo is good at marketing old games). And there will be no used copies for sale of this game. Ever.

But ok, i agree with you that they may lose 3-4 sales because of this delay.

RagnarokX

Jiggy37 said:
Calling Marth for being out of the game is one of the last things I'd do right after they announced a DS remake of Fire Emblem 1. Just saying. >_> [Edit: Beaten many times over.]

And Lucas doesn't look like a clone to me. Even the one similar attack we've seen (forward air with electricity effect) has a different animation, which is what most people judge "clones" by anyway. (Since it's harder to identify moves by the angles they send opponents flying at, etc.) His back air has a different animation and it looks like Fox's SSBM reflection effect, whereas Ness' back air did more of a Zelda magic burst. And then there's that PK move he shot straight upward, slower than PK Thunder but faster than PK Flash.
It was his signature move, PK Love. To me it looks like they just made it a replacement for PK Flash and made it go faster, but it's essentially the same move.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I really hope it's not delayed past the holidays. Between work and school, I don't have a whole lot of time for games anymore. Having this over winter break would be nice so I could really get some major playtime in.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm not even contemplating a Castlevania character like Simon Belmont to make it to the list, because that's 'through the stratosphere' levels of awesomeness and highly unlikely

make it happen plx

Jiggy

RagnarokX said:
It was his signature move, PK Love. To me it looks like they just made it a replacement for PK Flash and made it go faster, but it's essentially the same move.
Cool, a name. :D
But I don't know, it seemed to travel farther vertically than PK Flash would have... Maybe it was just the angle.

Link

The Autumn Wind
DeaconKnowledge said:
Doesn't Japan have a bigger holiday around January? I don't remember Christmas being a huge thing for them.
It's more like the last week of December and the first couple of weeks of January. The old Japanese release date was the perfect spot for it. The new date puts it just beyond the prime selling season there, which makes me kinda worry about our chances of seeing it this year.

NekoFever said:
I've just seen the news about Sonic and my interest in this game went from almost nil to somewhere in the stratosphere. It's like they've made my most wanted game from about 1993.
Welcome to Smash Bros! Nintendo bringing in all the Sonic fans. :D

SantaC

so now when Sonic is annonced, will they change the Box cover?

I mean, not having sonic on the cover is a bad idea now.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
SantaC said:
so now when Sonic is annonced, will they change the Box cover?

I mean, not having sonic on the cover is a bad idea now.

They didn't have Snake on the box when he was already announced. I think they are leaving 3rd parties off of it

SantaC

FoxSpirit said:
Please a form a playable Tails, even a mere Sonic palette swap!! You hear me, Sakurai?? PLEASE!!!

now when Nintendo obviously is going all out with this game I would be more chocked to not see characters like megaman, and maybe even tails.

WildArms

Best game ever, shame about the sequels
Please a form a playable Tails, even a mere Sonic palette swap!!

I'd rather not have him at all, if it's just going to be a "palette swap"

Then it's not really Tails is it? You may as well just pick Sonic and pretend to yourself it's Tails or something.

FoxSpirit said:
Please a form a playable Tails, even a mere Sonic palette swap!! You hear me, Sakurai?? PLEASE!!!
If a second character from Sonic were to appear in Brawl, I would want Dr. Robotnik/Eggman or Knuckles, over Tails.

These have all been in other threads, and 2 of them in this one, but here's the 4 new full size screens:
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I wants this game. Yesterday. Who did the wallpaper with all the characters? Could you please add just this one character? :0P I would love you forever

Venomgxt said:
Who gives a damn if its delayed. Nintendo gots to do what Nintendo to make this game the best

Actually, I do, very much.

Beside Super Mario Galaxy, the Wii is heading into another lackluster holiday season, and I don't care for sales. I want games.

They'll probably rely on Super Smash Bros Brawl to take care of the first half of 2008, and the rest will be an empty void, as always.

And because you guys are so used to this, it's normal, it's fine, and now that they sell a lot of consoles, you can spin this the way you want : But, as a gamer, I give a damn about the delay.

Am I wrong?

JonathanEx said:
These have all been in other threads, and 2 of them in this one, but here's the 4 new full size screens:
Is it just me or are the portions of the characters pretty messed up? Like Charizard is Mario-sized, while Link is shorter than Mario, Kirby is as tall as Mario and twice as fat and so on... or are those AWSUM SCREENS messing with my mind? Well, It would make sense anyway if you look it from the game mechanical viewpoint but still :lol

Littleberu said:

Beside Super Mario Galaxy, the Wii is heading into another lackluster holiday season, and I don't care for sales. I want games.

They'll probably rely on Super Smash Bros Brawl to take care of the first half of 2008, and the rest will be an empty void, as always.

And because you guys are so used to this, it's normal, it's fine, and now that they sell a lot of consoles, you can spin this the way you want : But, as a gamer, I give a damn about the delay.

Am I wrong?

Right with you

Iam Canadian

PetriP-TNT said:
Is it just me or are the portions of the characters pretty messed up? Like Charizard is Mario-sized, while Link is shorter than Mario, Kirby is as tall as Mario and twice as fat and so on... or are those AWSUM SCREENS messing with my mind? Well, It would make sense anyway if you look it from the game mechanical viewpoint but still :lol

If the characters were sized according to the official measurements that we have, Mario would be able to step on Kirby and squish him like a bug and Charizard would be much bigger than just about anyone else.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
Ah yes, in the early 90's you either were on the sega side or the nintendo side. Genesis vs. SNES, Mario vs sonic. It would be a fantasy if the two would duke it out in a game, but alas you knew this would never happen. And so time goes on, the playstation joins the race, the n64, and then later sega fans get the dreamcast. As the dreamcast is at its gamming peak, the ps2 enters and destroys it.

And so the rumors of a third party sega go around, many sega fans deny it. But then It happens and sega goes third party. One of the Megathons of its year. So it's official, that the blue blur would make his debut on a nintendo console, with sonic adventure dx. After the smash brothers melee, rumors go around that sonic could enter the next game, where even EGM did a april fools joke about it.

Again time goes on and the next melee is now a brawl. Rumors once again revolved around sonic being in the game, especially when solid snake was announced to make an a apperance. After than anything could happen.

Then mario and sonic at the olympics is announced. Sonic has to be in brawl, yet we are still skeptical. Then it happens. As I refresh the Dojo page every 3 secs as alot of us did, i see the "warning challenger approaching" with a few scroll clicks down, my childhood gaming dream has finally come true. Thank you nintendo and sega from the bottom of my heart..

AniHawk

Littleberu said:

Am I wrong?

I'm going to be very busy this holiday. Zack and Wiki, GH III, Mario, Trauma Center, and Fire Emblem are the Wii games I'm getting, and it doesn't account for the 360 titles I'm picking up or the DS games. Like what happened with GTA IV, I'm glad that it was delayed. Gives my wallet some time to breathe, and me some quality time with each game (hopefully).

Duderz

Banned
I AM JOHN! said:
Samus becomes Zero Suit Samus when she loses her armor, dude. They revealed this forever ago.

Yes, I know this was revealed, but there's speculation that maybe Zero Suit Samus can be playable without having to use Samus' final smash.

In the second video released today, we see Fox getting a final smash, and yet ZSS is already there.

Sharp

Actually, at the time I couldn't afford either console, so I didn't really have a preference. But I understand that it means a lot to some people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom