• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
New port city looks incredible. Its so good that we get another big stage like hyrule temple. The game needs more stages like that.

From the looks of it, you wont be able to jump on all those building. You can see that there are platforms in front of the buildings, so it looks like you'll be fighting on the platforms and the buildings are just part of the background. It would have been amazing if you could fight on the building, but instead they've used platforms. I'm not too bothered about that really, I'm just glad we got quite a big stage and on top of that it looks really nice.

psycho_snake

Dark Ninja said:
Pikimin would be awesome but I wanna see how much F-zero GX stuff Sakurai can get in this game I hope Miyamoto doesn't get involved
I'm not expecting too much F zero stuff. We'll probably get two F-zero stages but captain falcon will probably be the only playable F-zero character. Goroh was the most likely f-zero character to be made playable in brawl, but he was made into an assist trophy.

Lobster

Banned
underfooter said:
What about the Mario Kart stage and Mario Sunshine stage (when it lands). Not to mention the Wario Ware stage....

.....what the hell are you talking about?

Oh right..I forgot about those.. Shadow of Moses is also one.

Im talking about levels that are just floating platforms with background and which ones are not.

So far.

stage05_thmbnail.jpg
stage02_thmbnail.jpg
stage04_thmbnail.jpg
stage12_thmbnail.jpg

stage13_thmbnail.jpg
stage10_thmbnail.jpg

and the Mario Kart level.

7/15 levels shown are not floating platforms.

Seems pretty good.

Not many people agreed with Fire Emblem stage so I took it off.

psycho_snake

AMUSIX said:
I honestly can't figure out the reason for this. In the case of New Pork City, how would it have been any different if they had made the surfaces you're fighting on the rooftops instead of floating platforms? (think Onette taken to a larger degree)
They really should have made it like that. They could have even just selected a few of the buildings to be fighting platforms instead of making it so that you could stand on any of the building.

psycho_snake said:
I'm not expecting too much F zero stuff. We'll probably get two F-zero stages but captain falcon will probably be the only playable F-zero character. Goroh was the most likely f-zero character to be made playable in brawl, but he was made into an assist trophy.
Yeah characters are pretty much out of the question for F-zero now but what I want is assist trophies and at least 3 stages for F-zero to balance out the fact that there is only one playable character

also its not like their lacking stages in F-zero either theres a ton of tracks in F-zero that could be stages

Dark Ninja said:
Yeah characters are pretty much out of the question for F-zero now but what I want is assist trophies and at least 3 stages for F-zero to balance out the fact that there is only one playable character
That makes about as much sense as Sheik not being playable.

Jiggy

I actually wouldn't be too surprised if Black Shadow or even Deathborn still made it into Brawl, despite Goroh being an assist, but I do think it's unlikely. A bit unfortunate...

Edit: On that note, I'm out of here. Going to sleep early for once so I can wake up to Gate of Thunder on VC.

Jiggy37 said:
I actually wouldn't be too surprised if Black Shadow or even Deathborn still made it into Brawl, despite Goroh being an assist, but I do think it's unlikely. A bit unfortunate...
I blame Miyamoto his hate for F-zero GX has infected Sakurai

psycho_snake

Dark Ninja said:
It could happen. Mario had 4 stages last time whilst DK had 3, so they might do the same for F-zero. I would much rather see another F-zero character instead of a third track though.

Xeke

Banned
psycho_snake said:
Same here. We use this stage more than any other.

Ick. That stage needs to vanish. Fights there take way too long and it's easy for people to survive far longer than they should by hiding down below.

Dr.Hadji

Lobster said:
The city is just a background. Once again, we're on floating platforms. Only The Zelda stage, Halberd and Fire Emblem stage aren't floating platforms so far...

The reason for this I guess was tournaments and online?

That and Smash really breaks down, gameplay wise, on stages without platforms. Most of the time anyway.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Thank goodness there will be at least ONE large stage in Brawl. Hopefully there's a couple more, as well. (A Hyrule Temple rehash would be nice, too.)

psycho_snake said:
It could happen. Mario had 4 stages last time whilst DK had 3, so they might do the same for F-zero. I would much rather see another F-zero character instead of a third track though.
Yeah this is what im hoping for. There are still 40+ other pilots they could possibly make characters out of so they're might be another F-zero character left

WildArms

Best game ever, shame about the sequels
Who is the most famous female F-Zero character? Is it Jody Summer?

We need more female characters, and F-Zero seems to be a good oppurtunity.

JODY_psd_jpgcopy.jpg

She also had a trophy in Melee, and is an "ex-fighter pilot"

I think I'm onto something here.

WildArms said:
Who is the most famous female F-Zero character? Is it Jody Summer?

We need more female character, and F-Zero seems to be a good oppurtunity.
Yep or this girl but I don't know if Nintendo owns the rights because Sega designed the
F-zero AX characters

f-zero_wp_m36_princia_800.jpg

PkunkFury

Dark Ninja said:
There's also the guy from the f-zero anime
who becomes captain Falcon after he dies at the end of the series

no thank you

I hope this has nothing to do with C. Falcon not showing up on Dojo yet

PkunkFury said:
no thank you

I hope this has nothing to do with C. Falcon not showing up on Dojo yet
Yeah he's not that great
doubt it has anything to do with Falcon not showing up yet because it looks like they are going to use the GX designs

GX
200px-Samurai_Goroh.jpeg

Brawl
assist02_070702a.jpg

GX
drstew.jpg

Brawl
various05_070924b-l.jpg

Cool looking stage, looks to be more balanced that Hyrule Temple. I like how the most of the buildings in the background are 2d cutout style, just like in the game.

NeonZ

I honestly can't figure out the reason for this. In the case of New Pork City, how would it have been any different if they had made the surfaces you're fighting on the rooftops instead of floating platforms? (think Onette taken to a larger degree).

I think, in this specific stage, they used platforms to allow a better view of this city. They could have used buildings with multiple places for standing to replace the platforms, like the central one in the Onnet level, but that would get in the way of the background.

Edit: Besides, if Ness is still in the game, or if Lucas' recovery is similar to Ness's, buildings would make the stage really annoying for the third jump.

The Fire Emblem stage while not on floating platforms still has no interaction with what's going on in the background (except perhaps the third area).

So... you'll just act like changing the entire arena isn't an interaction at all? Getting hit by the background isn't the only interaction possible.

PkunkFury

AMUSIX said:
I honestly can't figure out the reason for this. In the case of New Pork City, how would it have been any different if they had made the surfaces you're fighting on the rooftops instead of floating platforms? (think Onette taken to a larger degree).

it's because that model of New Pork City is exactly what the city looks like in the GBA game if you were to stitch the town screens together and extrude the buildings into 3-space. They didn't design the city for Brawl, so they couldn't have changed it to make sense within Brawl's platforming mechanics. It's more of a fangasm for Mother 3 players than anything else. the attention to detail is quite amazing.

A big "ugh!" at all the suggestions for female characters. I know it would be nice to have more female characters in the line-up, but when you're suggesting naff characters like Krystal (or whatever other obscure furry monstrosity you can drag out of the Star Fox series) or non-entities like Princia Ramode then you’re just trawling around in desperation.

At this point, the only new female character I can see appearing is Ashley from WarioWare. She has her own theme tune included already and she could have a potentially interesting moveset – could be quite a floaty character with magic-based moves, perhaps incorporating Red, her devil helper.

stage14_071015a-l.jpg

What a great update. Finally a huge stage is shown and it belongs to Mother 3!

stage14_071015c-l.jpg

I can't wait to fight on the swing.

Lobster said:
The city is just a background. Once again, we're on floating platforms. Only The Zelda stage, Halberd and Fire Emblem stage aren't floating platforms so far...

The reason for this I guess was tournaments and online?
I think a bigger reason has to do with Final Smash attacks. It seems like all the Brawl stages shown so far are being made so that Final Smash attacks can be used effectively on them. A stage like Hyrule Temple pretty much makes most of the Final Smash attacks useless.

Dark Ninja said:
Yeah he's not that great
doubt it has anything to do with Falcon not showing up yet because it looks like they are going to use the GX designs

GX
200px-Samurai_Goroh.jpeg

Brawl
assist02_070702a.jpg

GX
drstew.jpg

Brawl
various05_070924b-l.jpg

I was wondering if I was the only one worried about that. I'm glad all F-Zero content that has been revealed so far has been the GX models. I'm pretending all the F-Zero anime series inspired story & character designs don't exsist. And I certainly hope they are not recognized as canon for the next installment of the series. But the inclusion of the GX designs in Brawl (so far) has got me hopeful.

Haunted

Dark Ninja said:
There's also the guy from the f-zero anime
who becomes captain Falcon after he dies at the end of the series
mt1114812009.jpg

For even mentioning this garbage in here.

If someone has a better slap.jpg/.gif let me know. I'm getting tired of this one, but it's always so appropriate. :/

what, two minutes between my posts and no one wrote something in the meantime, making me double-post? I'm disappointed, GAF.

Jiggy37 said:
*checks statistics*
SSBB franchises without music updates yet: F-Zero, Fire Emblem, Ice Climbers, Kirby, Mario, Mother, Sonic

Actually, I really want to hear music from all of these except Ice Climbers and Mario. :( More music updates, Sakurai!
From your list, I'm anticipating the music from the Mother series the most!

Golden Darkness said:
BTW, this video has a song that should be one of the themes for this stage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pcd9VnnXSQ

It's basically the rock version of the theme of
Pokey and his Pig Army
that is performed on stage in the game. It's also the first music piece for Mother 3 back when it was in development for the N64.
Wow that version of the song would fit perfectly for the New Pork City Brawl stage!

Gamer @ Heart said:
I say the best chance you will ever get is mayber a wii ware release or maybe VC if Nintendo adds the gameboy.
I think Nintendo will look at the sales of Earthbound when it hits the VC. Hopefully if it's successful we get an Earthbound DS compilation of the three games with stylus control! :D
earthboundds.jpg

CreatureX3 said:
Hopefully if it's successful we get an Earthbound DS compilation of the three games with stylus control! :D
I don't know about that, seeing as NoA hates its English-speaking Mother fans, of course. We can always dream, though. I would flip for this.

Haunted

Music updates aren't enough to fill one day, they should be added to another small update, like a new item or something. I need my daily Brawl screenshot fix.

Where's Ami, btw?

turk128 said:
well, that's more of a declaration than a punishment. Still hilarious, though. :p

Kreed

Gamer @ Heart said:
Lets all be honest, if mother 3 were released it would bomb harder than boogie. You guys are the vocal minority. I say the best chance you will ever get is mayber a wii ware release or maybe VC if Nintendo adds the gameboy.

The REAL best chance we'll ever get (to play Mother 3 in America) is if NCL re-releases Mother 3 for the DS/Wii Ware in Japan. Because if you REALLY want to be honest, the reason NOA won't release Mother 3 in the US is because it's currently on a dying/dead platform, and NOA is too lazy/cheap to put any effort into a DS/Virtual Console release themselves. The moment NCL does all the work for them, NOA will release it here and act like they are listening to the fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom