• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akai

Jiggy37 said:
But even if there's really only one, I'm sure Ashley's Theme won't be the default for Wario Ware, which is all I was talking about. >_>
Oh, whoops...I completely misread your post...

I thought you were using the songs revealed to try and guess how many stages in each franchise there will be...

Joe Molotov

crowphoenix said:
I predict the Ice Climber's stage. Vertical scrolling jumps of death. Again.

They should do an Ice Climber level that's like the top of the stage in Ice Climbers, with platforms scattered below and pterodactyls flying back and forth that you can jump on.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
On a related note, let's follow Enk's suggestion and recommend commercial characters for Brawl.

My wishes:

Jolly Green Giant
Morton's Fisherman
Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben
That annoying guy from those Kikkoman teriyaki commercials years ago

I know I'll get flamed for this.

But honestly, Cloud 'deserves' the "Final Fantasy" spot more than any other FF character.

Is he my favorite character? Hell no, I fucking hate Cloud. If it were a matter of personal opinion I'd stick Cecil in there.

However, I think Sora symbolizes the unity of Squaresoft more than any other character, and is also a representative of 'crossover' games.

I think if any Square character gets in Brawl it's going to be Sora (unless Geno counts as 3rd party).

roonow

Disagree with Cloud. Seeing as he has never been on a Nintendo platform, chances of him being in IF there is a Square character is slim in my opinion. If there is going to be ANY Square character, it should be Crono.

As for the next update, as long as it's not another lame update about King Dedede I am game (i.e. a character that I personally do not know and don't give a shit about, and probably majority of people don't even know him, and looks really lame...honestly, a big duck with a hammer?). Yea, just had to rant there...couldn't hold it in any longer my resentment towards such a scrub character that could make it in this game when there are so many other potential cooler characters. FLAME SHIELD ON.

Tim-E

roonow said:
Disagree with Cloud. Seeing as he has never been on a Nintendo platform, chances of him being in IF there is a Square character is slim in my opinion. If there is going to be ANY Square character, it should be Crono.

As for the next update, as long as it's not another lame update about King Dedede I am game (i.e. a character that I personally do not know and don't give a shit about, and probably majority of people don't even know him, and looks really lame...honestly, a big duck with a hammer?). Yea, just had to rant there...couldn't hold it in any longer my resentment towards such a scrub character that could make it in this game when there are so many other potential cooler characters. FLAME SHIELD ON.

He was on Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories.

roonow said:

ME0000689733_1.jpg

facepalm.jpg

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
roonow said:

Kirby is one of Nintendo's highest selling series, behind only Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon, I believe. Jiggy has the exact numbers, but I believe that's the case.

So your assertion that nobody knows King Dedede is flawed.

roonow

Yea I GUESS he was in Kingdom Hearts but come on, that's cheating....then you can basically just take any character from any FF and claim there were on a nintendo platform. Ok maybe I should rephrase: a square character that had a MAJOR/STARRING role on a nintendo platform...

Iam Canadian said:
Kirby is one of Nintendo's highest selling series, behind only Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon, I believe. Jiggy has the exact numbers, but I believe that's the case.

Actually, on a worldwide scale Kirby is only behind Mario and Pokemon.

Linkhero1

Iam Canadian said:

Heck they even had that horrible Kirby cartoon on 4kids tv, that I actually watched. I think it was one of the most watched cartoons on 4kids tv at the time. How can they not know who King Dedede is?

AndoCalrissian said:
Regardless, that's hardly a big presence. The most fitting Square character would probably be a Chocobo.

No backgroundless random species plz.

Most fitting Square character is Sora. Not to mention Sakurai has actually mentioned Sora a few times in his japanese blog.

Sora is also the name of his independant company :p (irrelevant).

Rotanibor

I'm thinking, for a Square character, one from Final Fantasy IV really isn't all THAT outragous. Considering the remake is coming and all. Though I'd prefer a Final Fantasy VI character myself. Cloud is something I'd not like to have but has a medium chance of possibly getting in. But thinking about it, with the upcoming Final Fantasy fighting game, it kind of cuts chances of a Final Fantasy character getting into smash.

I do agree Sora has a huge possibility, if not one of the biggest chances of getting in if we have to choose a Squarenix character.

Thinking more towards the future, I'd wonder about the heroes from Dragon Quest Swords or the new Wii Crystal Chronicles being shoved in for advertising reasons. Sora gets another mention here again because of the upcoming DS release, and probably very real chance of Kingdom Hearts III ending up on the Wii. If we're talking SquarEnix, knowing them, the most likely character that would get in would be one that doubles as advertising. They choose someone very current.

Somnid

Why would any 3rd party character need a previous appearance on a Nintendo console? Do you honestly believe if Square offered up Cloud that Sakurai would dig around for his list of appearances before giving him the okay?

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Somnid said:
Why would any 3rd party character need a previous appearance on a Nintendo console? Do you honestly believe if Square offered up Cloud that Sakurai would dig around for his list of appearances before giving him the okay?
Sakurai might actually do that, yes. :lol

Jiggy

If we had to cut out King Dedede because "a majority of people don't even know him," I guess we should say goodbye to Pit, Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, Captain Falcon, Falco, Fox, Ike, Marth, Roy, Lucas, Ness, Wario, Samus, and Zero Suit Samus also. Nobody knows who these "scrub characters" are either, you see, since their games sell/sold less than Kirby.

Somnid said:
Why would any 3rd party character need a previous appearance on a Nintendo console?
That was a criterion laid down by Sakurai before the Dojo updates began.

roonow

Hmm, I don't know. To me, and perhaps in the eyes of Nintendo, Cloud is more than just another 3rd party character. He sort of a symbol, representation or reminder of the bitter bitter tears that Nintendo and its fans had to endure back in the day... the betrayalton of Square, the rise and dominance of PS1...OHHH GODDDD :D

That being said, I really wouldn't mind Cloud as a character in Brawl (in fact I'd be ecstatic to see him in), but I just feel that the chances of him being in are very, very slim at best.

Somnid

Jiggy37 said:
That was a criterion laid down by Sakurai before the Dojo updates began.

Source? There's a lot of things people say Sakurai said, a lot of them were just things that were made up and remembered as facts.

Edit: Actually eitherway it doesn't matter. Old quotes generally amount to shit as stuff is constantly changing.

RedBoot

For some reason the mere suggestion that Sora be in this game angers me. I don't even dislike him, and I like Kingdom Hearts, but for some reason he just embodies my own perception of a bad idea for a third party character.

On the other hand, a Chocobo would be hilarious, and probably a more appropriate choice than any other FF character.

roonow

If we had to cut out King Dedede because "a majority of people don't even know him," I guess we should say goodbye to Pit, Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, Captain Falcon, Falco, Fox, Ike, Marth, Roy, Lucas, Ness, Wario, Samus, and Zero Suit Samus also. Nobody knows who these "scrub characters" are either, you see, since their games sell/sold less than Kirby.

True true, I am aware of that, but I am biased. I just personally can't stand King Dedede....seriously he looks so damn stupid and even his name "Dedede" sounds like some gibberish that a retard bashing his head against a wall would mutter.

Jiggy

Somnid said:
Source? There's a lot of things people say Sakurai said, a lot of them were just things that were made up and remembered as facts.

Edit: Actually eitherway it doesn't matter. Old quotes generally amount to shit as stuff is constantly changing.
Because the idea was laid down before the current Dojo site was put up, the actual Japanese text is lost now. Nonetheless...
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3151198

But you've got a point that things can possibly change--to be honest, I personally think the game will end up surpassing three third-party characters. However, I'm just saying that this early news explains the reasoning of many people.

GamerSoul

Somnid said:

It's Sakurai's words, so if i want to try to believe anyone's info about this game, it's him. His quotes maybe old but they do give us an idea of what Sakurai wants to do.

It does make sense for the guest character to have a link to Nintendo in some way.

SuperAngelo64 said:
No backgroundless random species plz.

Most fitting Square character is Sora. Not to mention Sakurai has actually mentioned Sora a few times in his japanese blog.

Sora is also the name of his independant company :p (irrelevant).
I fail to see how Sora is more fitting -- is it for the one GBA game he was in? Chocobos have been in several Final Fantasy games on Nintendo platforms over the years, and are an iconic representation of the entire series.

Somnid

Okay so that makes enough sense for people to see it that way. Perhaps he's not fishing for them but still, I think that if a big character that hadn't graced a Nintendo system was brought into question I don't think they would be turned down. Especially when considering something like Cloud if the opportunity presents itself it's a huge deal that could potentially drive sales (even more). No one would be let down by such an inclusion (might not be your cup of tea but it's already well above and beyond anything to be expected) they would only gain from such a thing so it'd be stupid to say no for such a reason.

Jiggy

Some old intentions that made it into what we know of the game now:

#71-80: Every character's ability is being refined from the very beginning in order to allow "more freedom" in aerial combat.
Yep. Jumps after air dodges, moves after air dodges, the Footstool Jump mechanic, the gliding mechanic.

#141-150: If they add online functionality to the game (they are still working out technical difficulties), they do not plan to add a ranking system to online battles.
Yes, no ranking for random battles.

#161-170: "This time, we'd like to stress easiness over the small details of combat, so overall it might become somewhat easier."
Automatic L-canceling, easier edge grabs, automatic sweetspotting, being able to catch items even while using an attack.

Christopher

Before Smash I had NO idea who Captain Falcon, Ness, Ice Climbers, and the Fire Emblem dudes were.

Although I think King DeDeDe is very well known for being Kirby's "Bowser", the point is after this game he WILL be well known.

Somnid

Jiggy37 said:
Some old intentions that made it into what we know of the game now:

Yep. Jumps after air dodges, moves after air dodges, the Footstool Jump mechanic, the gliding mechanic.

Yes, no ranking for random battles.

Automatic L-canceling, easier edge grabs, automatic sweetspotting, being able to catch items even while using an attack.

Kinda vague though, like Nostradamus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom