• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malfunky

veejeecats.jpg

Eh.

Teasel

BGBW said:
Or another Game and Watch character unless they have an actually have a physical Game and Watch as a fighter much like how I originally thought Mr Game and Watch looked like when I first read how to unlock him.
they could just do an oldie stage that groups mr game & watch,ice climbers and pit together

Grecco

Coins to unlock new characters? Instead of having to finish story mode over and over?

Love the fact that classic mode is back though.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
AlternativeUlster said:
HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!! I don't work Sunday nights but HOLY FUCKING SHIT!! Stages based off old NES game stage sprites here I come.

Wonder if it gives you enough space to do a reasonably accurate recreation of SMB world 1-1. That's what I'd do.

Some people seemed to like my previous stage idea, so I thought about refining it, advice taken into consideration. Less glass-like, but hey.

4p3pgtx.jpg

I thought the old version was too big, and would make the battles to separate, low and high instead of constantly flowing back and forth. It was too similar to something like the temple in melee,where everyone's doing their own thing. On top of that, the walls were too high, 4 levels is a lot to knock someone out of. I also streamlined the lower half, I thought it might have been too complicated to have a smooth match. I didn't want people to worry about not being able to jump, etc. between the lower levels.

The old one's still good, but this version ups the pace a bit.

First off I just want to state that Sakurai is The Man!!!!

I'm going for a little bit off-beat guess on what the coins are, but I bet they have to do with an arcade. I was thinking that it would be cool to include all the original games in the series like Kid Icarus in the game. So if you play as Pit and have never heard of him before, you can go check out his game right in Brawl. I'm not sure if Nintendo is nice enough to do this, but they did include free games in Animal Crossing on the Gamecube. I'm really doubtful about this just because of the Virtual Console, but it would be amazing if it could happen.

Another theory is that some sort of optional RPG game is being implemented or is part of the Subspace Emissary.

Redd

Stopsign said:
First off I just want to state that Sakurai is The Man!!!!

I'm going for a little bit off-beat guess on what the coins are, but I bet they have to do with an arcade. I was thinking that it would be cool to include all the original games in the series like Kid Icarus in the game. So if you play as Pit and have never heard of him before, you can go check out his game right in Brawl. I'm not sure if Nintendo is nice enough to do this, but they did include free games in Animal Crossing on the Gamecube. I'm really doubtful about this just because of the Virtual Console, but it would be amazing if it could happen.

Another theory is that some sort of optional RPG game is being implemented or is part of the Subspace Emissary.

While that would be cool....could they fit all that on one dvd?

Insaniac

i wonder if his little quip about "no you don't use them to shop" is supposed to be a joke that you don't buy things in real life, or if he actually meant, no, it's not used to purchase in game bonuses.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Malfunky said:
Messed around for a while and noticed the platform in the middle looked like a mustache, so I went from there.

wariobrawl.jpg

I was thinking about making the teeth chomp or something, but the editor made it look stupid(er).
:lol Thats great

Stopsign said:

Maybe the coins are used for the Zero Suit Samus/Peach/Zelda/Krystal dancing minigame? :lol

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I believe that we can expect an online co-op update for classic mode sometime in the future.

Since it seems that every other aspect of this game is online....

methodman

Banned
Staccat0 said:
I think that we are, unfortuantely, doomed to an even more boring update tonight...
Boring? Classic mode is pretty awesome IMO (even though I knew it was in there). Also wondering what the coins would be used for.

The last update was so awesome, this one had to be a let down.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
It'll be interesting to see what the coins do. I reckon that they'll still be used to buy trophies, but maybe they'll have another use.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
:lol :lol :lol

I like how people now EXPECT and DEMAND a mind-blowing update every single day- and anything that falls short of that is a total dissapointment. Get some perspective. We're not gonna get a megaton every day. The announcement of a new mode is certainly nothing to balk at.

Teasel

Slurpy said:

I like how people now EXPECT and DEMAND a mind-blowing update every single day- and anything that falls short of that is a total dissapointment. Get some perspective. We're not gonna get a megaton every day. The announcement of a new mode is certainly nothing to balk at.

and i get so annoyed about how when someone say "disappointing update" someone has to say "just be happy we are getting update STFU!"
any questions?

Slurpy said:

QFT! I don't understand how some people expect a megaton every single update? :lol

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Slurpy said:

I personally don't expect or demand shit really. I just found Classic mode to be boring update, because I knew it was there. I'm just saying that we had two big ones real close so we'll proabably have small ones for a while now. My prediction stands. Sorry if you don't like it, but I'm allowed to be bored by something if I want. I also don't give a shit about music updates. Is that okay with everyon or should I try harder?:D

I predict the coins let you buy into tournaments where, if you win, you can unlock new characters. If you lose, you don't get your money back and have to save up again through modes like Classic, Space Emissionary, and what-not.

Ezduo

Banned
Where are the little bonuses you get for stuff like only using smash attacks or killing someone with an item? Aren't they supposed to show up on the "CLEAR!" screen?

Akai

Teasel said:
and i get so annoyed about how when someone say "disappointing update" someone has to say "just be happy we are getting update STFU!"
any questions?
Well if the first one disappears then so does the second...

Looking forward to the team battle against Giant Mega Knight!

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Ezduo said:
Where are the little bonuses you get for stuff like only using smash attacks or killing someone with an item? Aren't they supposed to show up on the "CLEAR!" screen?
Yeah, I'm really curious about that. I bet there is a seperate page with those plus access to the replay and such...
Akai said:
Well if the first one disappears then so does the second...
Or maybe we could just speak freely about how we feel and not have people trying to "fix" our perception.

Ezduo

Banned
Scribble said:
Who here REALLY wants online co-op? I don't really care one way or another, although it'd be cool to play with people from here.

Well it certainly wouldn't hurt but since I wasn't even really expecting co-op in the first place I wouldn't have it against Sakurai and his team if they didn't put it in.

Redd

Scribble said:
Who here REALLY wants online co-op? I don't really care one way or another, although it'd be cool to play with people from here.

Yes I would love some online Co-op especially that DK stage.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Scribble said:
I don't REALLY want it. I'll play story mode with my girlfriend but classic mode co-op doesn't appeal to me. I'd take it with a smile of course... or else be flamed:lol

Personally, as long as we get something new everyday, i dont really mind if the update falls shirt of a megaton. If its something like 'You Must Recover' update, thats when i say the update really sucks :p

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Scribble said:
It'd be cool, but I don't think I'd play too much of it. Subspace Emissary's style of gameplay is the kind that's really only best when playing through it with a friend or relative for the first time. I can't see SSB Adventure Mode levels being the kind of thing that you'd really want to replay with someone over the Internet.

Obviously it'd be a cool option for those who want it. But unless you could do it with custom levels or ones with randomized layouts (not just the normal single-player ones), and it had some kind of neat incentive (ex.: unlocking special trophies, stickers, stage creation/character customization options, etc.), it wouldn't really be a draw for me.

New stage, this one was much harder to decide on the final design. It was originally much more complicated, it was taller, had more levels, more breakable platforms and more moving platforms, but was ultimately too crowded.

6fowhf6.jpg

The main idea is to have two separate smaller stages connected by a moving platform. I wanted a more horizontal stage for the smashers to chase each other back and forth on. This stage emphasises the longer range characters while giving the short range guys space to move around on. The aeriel characters have a huge advantage in being able to move from the left and right sides relatively easily compared to their grounded opponents.

There's one breakable wall on each side, so the grounded characters have to be careful not do destroy it and limit thier movement range, while the opposite is true for more agile characters, where they could force their opponents to stay on the bottom or use the floating platforms until the floors respawn..

NeonZ

Hm... this is just a theory, but...

Does anyone remember that when Subspace Emissary received its first update, some people noticed that it was called ModeA in the site's html? Some thought that it could mean that there was a second Adventure, besides Subspace Emissary, but others thought that ModeB would just be Classic or All-Star mode...

However, the site has been updated with Classic mode, and it isn't ModeB. Maybe, we are going to get a secondary Adventure mode.

From this point, this post is total speculation, but here are some types of Adventure modes that I could see getting in, considering Sakurai's previous games (actually, mainly Kirby Super Star >_>):

-Boss Rush: Fighting through every boss, like in the Kirby games. It's surely the most likely one.

-A Great Cave Offensive type game: A level which isn't linear and has several collectibles.

-A remake of an old game, like Super Mario Bros or Kirby, in the SSB engine? The most unlikely one I guess, but it could be a nice unlockable.

Teasel

NeonZ said:
Hm... this is just a theory, but...

Does anyone remember that when Subspace Emissary received its first update, some people noticed that it was called ModeA in the site's html? Some thought that it could mean that there was a second Adventure, besides Subspace Emissary, but others thought that ModeB would just be Classic or All-Star mode...

However, the site has been updated with Classic mode, and it isn't ModeB. Maybe, we are going to get a secondary Adventure mode.

From this point, this post is total speculation, but here are some types of Adventure modes that I could see getting in, considering Sakurai's previous games (actually, mainly Kirby Super Star >_>):

-Boss Rush: Fighting through every boss, like in the Kirby games. It's surely the most likely one.

-A Great Cave Offensive type game: A level which isn't linear and has several collectibles.

-A remake of an old game, like Super Mario Bros or Kirby, in the SSB engine? The most unlikely one I guess, but it could be a nice unlockable.

uh didn't you guys thought that it could be A-Mode as "Adventure Mode" and not "the one Before the B-Mode"?

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Well, here is my attempt at a level that I think would offer some interesting gameplay:

cheezland_smashbrosstage.jpg

If you were knocked off the top-right part of the stage, you might be able to save yourself by landing on the moving platform at the bottom-right. Then you'd have to try make it all the way across all the other moving platforms to get yourself back up on the stage.. (You wouldn't have any room to jump between them due to the spikes... you'd have to time it perfectly and walk across!) And it'll get much more interesting if someone is on the other side, perhaps shooting projectiles at you. :)

NeonZ

Teasel said:
uh didn't you guys thought that it could be A-Mode as "Adventure Mode" and not "the one Before the B-Mode"?

It's written "modea", in both American and Japanese sites, not "A-Mode", unless I'm missing something. AND "Adventure Mode" is called by that name even in the Japanese website, so modea probably doesn't stand for "Mode Adventure".

Just a quick follow-up on Krystal's voice actress...

I just received a reply from Alesia Glidewell, the voice actress who had SSBB listed on her game CV webpage. It's pretty disappointing in that it doesn't confirm anything about her involvement, but taken in conjunction with the disappearance of SSBB from her CV - http://www.alesiaglidewell.com/vo_games.htm - it is interesting:

Alesia Glidewell said:
I’m sorry but I can’t provide any information with regards to this game.

Thanks,

Alesia Glidewell

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Cosmonaut X said:

I just received a reply from Alesia Glidewell, the voice actress who had SSBB listed on her game CV webpage. It's pretty disappointing in that it doesn't confirm anything about her involvement, but taken in conjunction with the disappearance of SSBB from her CV - http://www.alesiaglidewell.com/vo_games.htm - it is interesting:

The nintendo ninjas watch this thread.

Zeed

Banned
Cosmonaut X said:

Krystal confirmed.

*Shrug*

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
MrCheez said:
Well, here is my attempt at a level that I think would offer some interesting gameplay:

cheezland_smashbrosstage.jpg

If you were knocked off the top-right part of the stage, you might be able to save yourself by landing on the moving platform at the bottom-right. Then you'd have to try make it all the way across all the other moving platforms to get yourself back up on the stage.. (You wouldn't have any room to jump between them due to the spikes... you'd have to time it perfectly and walk across!) And it'll get much more interesting if someone is on the other side, perhaps shooting projectiles at you. :)

edit.gif

What about this?

I dunno, it seems like no one would use the upper left part at all. The fighting would go straight to the cave and sometimes at the top right area to wall-bounce opponents.

Cosmonaut X said:

DUN DUN DUNNNNNN! That’s the shocking truth.

Cosmonaut X said:

To be fair, she could've told you. But then Nintendo would've had to kill you.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
I just have to say, this game.....damn. I clocked in around 900 hours with SSBM and with the new characters, stages, modes, online, and a fucking level creator, this game looks like it is going to own my life. I'm seriously considering quitting WoW when this comes out, this game just looks perfect. As long as the play mechanics are sound and the online lag-free, this some Favorite Game Ever material.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
superbank said:
What about this?

I dunno, it seems like no one would use the upper left part at all. The fighting would go straight to the cave and sometimes at the top right area to wall-bounce opponents.

Yeah, that looks a little improved. I don't know how much I'd worry about areas getting 'used' though... I primarily play with items on, and whatever spot they randomly spawn in determines where people head a lot of the time. That or if people are getting chased/fleeing they don't always choose a strategic destination. Smash is chaotic like that!

BUt I'm definitely excited to get my hands on the real editor and get a good feel for what works and what doesn't when it comes to gameplay. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom