• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

justchris

Keru_Shiri said:
Wait, are people seriously wanting the L-Block to get added to Brawl? What next, someone advocating the DQ Slime?

We already had that advocate. And Slime is pretty iconic. They can use magic, you know.

---

Kid Icarus was a pretty good game, but I don't know that I'd call it triple A. Then again, I'm not sure what NES games I'd call triple A, it's been years since I've played most of them, and I was just a kid then. I can easily name some triple A SNES games though.

---

Sakura
would actually be a good character, now that Little Mac's an AT. This game needs another good brawler besides the Knee.

justchris said:
We already had that advocate. And Slime is pretty iconic. They can use magic, you know.

---

Kid Icarus was a pretty good game, but I don't know that I'd call it triple A. Then again, I'm not sure what NES games I'd call triple A, it's been years since I've played most of them, and I was just a kid then. I can easily name some triple A SNES games though.

---

Sakura
would actually be a good character, now that Little Mac's an AT. This game needs another good brawler besides the Knee.
I was kidding about the Slime, I know full well the debates this thread has seen in that department. :lol

---

I agree, plus
Sakura
, while not as iconic as Ryu, would be a better fit, IMO, for Brawl's style should SF get representation.

Amir0x

Banned
LinkAMN said:
You know, I think Crushed is trying a bit too hard at playing AniHawk tonight...

It's jarosh he's playing at, and it's not just tonight

but whatever not even jarosh could keep it up forever, he has to burn out sometime

Link Man

Banned
Amir0x said:
It's jarosh he's playing at, and it's not just tonight

but whatever not even jarosh could keep it up forever, he has to burn out sometime
Ah, well, jarosh was before my time, as far as I know. It just sounded like AniHawk to me.

Amir0x

Banned
LinkAMN said:
Ah, well, jarosh was before my time, as far as I know. It just sounded like AniHawk to me.

jarosh was a good guy, he's still around just no longer photoshops hilarious things into threads

Jiggy

A Tetris character with shifting forms would own so hard. Starts off in the T Block form. Up B to transform into the straight line or square, Down B to transform into the L Block or S Block, side B to rotate. So, no special attacks, but its different forms have different weights and so forth. :D e.g. Square is the heaviest and does the most damage but is the slowest and can't rotate, L Block jumps the highest and has good range but its attacks don't have much knockback...

It'll never happen, though.

Keru_Shiri said:
I agree, plus
Sakura
, while not as iconic as Ryu, would be a better fit, IMO, for Brawl's style should SF get representation.
Yeah, see, I had to pick someone fairly Nintendo-ish to make it sound even like a remote possibility, and that character fits the bill for exactly that reason.

justchris

Linkzg said:
If you want a AAA game on the NES that needs more love, one game fits the bill and its StarTropics.

SantaC said:
problem is that startropics was never released in Japan

Yes, and I feel sorry for them. But that's what Virtual Console is for, they can experience StarTropics, and we get Mike in Brawl. Makes perfect sense to me.

Keru_Shiri said:
I agree, plus
Sakura

I think they could make either character fit the style. It's not like Ryu has to have every single muscle clearly defined. I mean, I'm pretty sure it's not a requirement, but I've never seen the exact spec sheet. :D

justchris said:
And Slime is pretty iconic.

hulk.jpg

Amir0x said:
jarosh was a good guy, he's still around just no longer photoshops hilarious things into threads

jarosh was like, insane epic at making photoshops and gifs, like not only the humor but quality to boot. Isnt he being kept in someones basement nowadays?

SantaC said:
problem is that startropics was never released in Japan

neither will Metroid Prime 3, but it doesnt keep it from having influence on Smash (I think).

Jiggy37 said:
A Tetris character with shifting forms would own so hard. Starts off in the T Block form. Up B to transform into the straight line or square, Down B to transform into the L Block or S Block, side B to rotate. So, no special attacks, but its different forms have different weights and so forth. :D e.g. Square is the heaviest and does the most damage but is the slowest and can't rotate, L Block jumps the highest and has good range but its attacks don't have much knockback...

It'll never happen, though.

The L-Block is owning the GameFAQS character poll, FYI.

Firestorm

Jiggy37 said:
If the delay news had come a bit later, I would have hoped that Sakurai and company delayed for the sake of adding L-Block due to seeing the GameFAQs character poll. That thing's tearing up the charts even as we speak, and rightfully so.

T-Block is better, though. >_>

I can't decide between voting L-Block or Link tomorrow. L-Block for awesome, Link because he's gonna have a hard time against Cloud with votes being split to L-Block.

Wow, I wonder if
Sakura
was in Sakurai's polls, how well would she have done? I figured someone by now would be up in arms against such a character. Or perhaps this is a side effect of the spoiler tags?

Linkzg said:
jarosh was like, insane epic at making photoshops and gifs, like not only the humor but quality to boot. Isnt he being kept in someones basement nowadays?

neither will Metroid Prime 3, but it doesnt keep it from having influence on Smash (I think).

Actually from what we've seen the Prime series has shown no influence whatsoever on Smash Bros.

Why are people spoiler tagging
the names of Street Fighter characters who don't have a snowballs chance in hell of appearing in Smash Bros?

Keru_Shiri said:
Wow, I wonder if
Sakura
was in Sakurai's polls, how well would she have done? I figured someone by now would be up in arms against such a character. Or perhaps this is a side effect of the spoiler tags?

Please keep Sakura and her shitty psuedo-Anatsuken out've Smash.

Was that hateful enough?

JoshuaJSlone said:
I don't agree that Ice Climbers was that bad, but I assume the other is Urban Champion?

Fester's Quest

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Ice Climber is a pretty bad game, but it's not even close to second worst. There are far more terrible games out there: Action 52, Cheetahmen 2, Bible Adventures, Bubsy 3D, Bebe's Kids, Faceball 2000, Super Noah's Ark 3D...

justchris

SuperAngelo64 said:

There was a Hulk GC game, wasn't there? And Marvel is a 3rd party.....

Somnid said:
New Item: Skillet

I predict there will be a new item type: Household Goods. That's how Sakurai is going to work the Kitchen Sink in.

Iam Canadian said:
Ice Climber is a pretty bad game, but it's not even close to second worst. There are far more terrible games out there: Action 52, Cheetahmen 2, Bible Adventures, Bubsy 3D, Bebe's Kids, Faceball 2000, Super Noah's Ark 3D...

Please stop hurting me. Bad touch. Bad touch!

Jiggy

L-Block better well win that poll. Or at least get a larger percentage of votes than Cloud. I don't care so much if it loses to Link, but someone please strike a blow for justice, and against Cloud and his FF-ruining ways. :mad: Even FFIX's general excellence was but a temporary reprieve before it reverted again.

And Tetris represents more pure gaming than Final Fantasy and Legend of Zelda (post-Zelda I, anyway), so I'd love to see it win.

Keru_Shiri said:
Wow, I wonder if
Sakura
So did I. :eek: I mean, between not coming in until Alpha and carrying that anime stigma that so many people hate, I mean, you'd think someone in this thread would hate her without having to be asked first.

Edit: Alright, it's been real but I'm out for the night.

I had a dream last night that Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia was in Brawl.
Guess who else I've dreamed was in Brawl? Sonic.
LLOYD CONFIRMED

I also dreamt one that 8-bit Megaman was in it, and Doritos were an item.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Jiggy37 said:
L-Block better well win that poll. Or at least get a larger percentage of votes than Cloud. I don't care so much if it loses to Link, but someone please strike a blow for justice, and against Cloud and his FF-ruining ways. :mad: Even FFIX's general excellence was but a temporary reprieve before it reverted again.

Truth. Cloud and Final Fantasy VII as a whole represented the victory of the worst aspects of the Final Fantasy franchise. Instead of creative fantasy worlds, we had ugly science fiction environments. Instead of heroic, charming characters, we got depressing, morally ambiguous antiheroes. Instead of truly sinister and evil villains, we got angsty pretty-boys.

It's amazing how Final Fantasy IX had none of these flaws (and was the second-best Final Fantasy) but the series then plunged back into the abyss.

Iam Canadian said:
Truth. Cloud and Final Fantasy VII as a whole represented the victory of the worst aspects of the Final Fantasy franchise. Instead of creative fantasy worlds, we had ugly science fiction environments. Instead of heroic, charming characters, we got depressing, morally ambiguous antiheroes. Instead of truly sinister and evil villains, we got angsty pretty-boys.

It's amazing how Final Fantasy IX had none of these flaws (and was the second-best Final Fantasy) but the series then plunged back into the abyss.

We got Cid and Red XIII. That counts for something.

The music was great too.

justchris

SuperAngelo64 said:
False

Great soundtrack? Yes.

Better than VII? Hell no.

The Extreme is one of the single best musical pieces in gaming history. Don't get me wrong, VIII has some bad songs (well one, the Fisherman's Wharf song, or whatever the town name is, is pretty annoying), and VII has some really fantastic and memorable ones, but on balance, I'd put the soundtrack as a whole above VII.

justchris said:
The Extreme is one of the single best musical pieces in gaming history. Don't get me wrong, VIII has some bad songs (well one, the Fisherman's Wharf song, or whatever the town name is, is pretty annoying), and VII has some really fantastic and memorable ones, but on balance, I'd put the soundtrack as a whole above VII.

Funny, Fisherman's Horizon is probably my favorite song in that OST. The Extreme is really good. I'm not selling the OST short, I'm just saying overall I don't feel it's as good as VII's.

justchris

SuperAngelo64 said:
Funny, Fisherman's Horizon is probably my favorite song in that OST. The Extreme is really good. I'm not selling the OST short, I'm just saying overall I don't feel it's as good as VII's.

Yeah, that's the one. We obviously have very different tastes in music. Fisherman's Horizon is the only song on the VIII OST I don't like.

Of course, right now I've got the Ocean Palace music from Chrono Trigger stuck in my head, and that's okay.

mclem

Firestorm said:
Special Weekend Update:
L-Block!

l-piece2.gif

A while back I did come up with a plausible way that a column - as in, from Columns - could work, both visually and in terms of attacks, as a silly novelty character in a Sega Smash Brothers title.

MisterHero

Ryu is the icon of fighting games! He deserves an invite!

Dan would also be nice.

But Sakura? Noooooooo.... she's only in 3rd place and she would only stand a chance if she were Sunburned Sakura.

Insaniac

holy crap if any street fighter character makes it in I will be thoroughly annoyed. They've already got their own fighting game. If i wanna play as Ryu, or whoever, I'll play SF.

MisterHero

Insaniac said:
holy crap if any street fighter character makes it in I will be thoroughly annoyed. They've already got their own fighting game. If i wanna play as Ryu, or whoever, I'll play SF.
Wii doesn't have any Arcade-direct SFs. :(

Jiggy37 said:
Dan over Sakura?
...Well, I suppose he's also a "Nintendo-ish" sort of character personality-wise, so maybe.
Dan was also one of Sakurai's teachers.

Seniority rules!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom