• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Gryphter said:
Is there a general consensus on what the absolute worst update yet has been?
DSC_0011.JPG

Syth_Blade22 said:
pipluplego.gif

You close your dirty whore mouth! Piplup was the most mega of megatons!

Bonsly looks like the new Goldeen. Throw the Pokeball and then you still have to pick the jerk up and throw him again to make any use out of him. As heavy and slow as it seems to be, I doubt most players would let you manage to aim and hit them with it, at least in 1v1s.

Is there a general consensus on what the absolute worst update yet has been?

What the hell is wrong with you people?? This is likely to be the only time Nintendo do anything like this and what do you do but complain, you all know the reason why the "quality" of updates has slowed but yet everyday I have to trudge through numerous whiney little babies to get to some actual discussion of the update.

Fireblend

Banned
crowphoenix said:
I refuse to get my hopes up, so you guys know what I think. Really, I hope we get the worst update humanly possible, something so bad we all just have to sit back and ask, "what the hell was that?"

That would be an awesome update.

So, standard answer, hoping for suck, for me.

Hey, you called it! But seriously, wtf... this game's got to have more left dammit, why hate us like that? >_<

MisterHero

Cerebral Assassin said:
What the hell is wrong with you people?? This is likely to be the only time Nintendo do anything like this and what do you do but complain, you all know the reason why the "quality" of updates has slowed but yet everyday I have to trudge through numerous whiney little babies to get to some actual discussion of the update.
PROS: This game has lots of awesome updates

CONS: This game has lots of nuanced updates

But seriously, the game was supposed to be out already. All the major things that are left are likely things that are going to be unlocked. He hinted that on Friday.

"So, this time I’m moving in the direction of not being too hung up on hidden characters."

That could either mean he will start posting stuff like that, or completely ignore them until much later.

The one gameplay mechanic I can think of left is Crawling. Do we even know how to use it yet?

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
MisterHero said:
The one gameplay mechanic I can think of left is Crawling. Do we even know how to use it yet?

There's probably some E For All impressions of the mechanic. Actually, I'm surprised we haven't seen a Crawling update yet. Although it's looking more and more likely every day. :/

Iam Canadian said:
There's probably some E For All impressions of the mechanic. Actually, I'm surprised we haven't seen a Crawling update yet. Although it's looking more and more likely every day. :/
That would be a great update. It would give us a bunch of screenshots of different characters crawling around. It would be funny to read Sakurai's comments for that update!

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I doubt that we're going to get anymore character updates. That must be the reason why we've not had one in so long. If there were more characters that sakurai wanted to unveil, then he would have already done so.

Although I enjoy the updates, I'm happy if no more are revealed. I dont want to know everything about the game before its released.

Iam Canadian

Shins said:
Joe Consumer. :(

Just put Darth Vader and Darth Maul on the box and it'll sell like crazy.

Jiggy37 said:
Meta Knight's special moves when we got them the second time.

To be fair, though, that update was paired with the awesometacular "Meta Knight's Revenge" track, which made the whole day worthwhile.

Taking into account E For All, then the "Donkey Kong Makes His Stand" video and Norfair were both pretty lame. Otherwise...I'd put the worst three as being Piplup, Meowth, and...the bumper, I guess.

Jiggy

Iam Canadian said:
To be fair, though, that update was paired with the awesometacular "Meta Knight's Revenge" track, which made the whole day worthwhile.

Taking into account E For All, then the "Donkey Kong Makes His Stand" video and Norfair were both pretty lame. Otherwise...I'd put the worst three as being Piplup, Meowth, and...the bumper, I guess.
Well, it wasn't the worst update day, just the worst individual.
Personally, I don't care for the Banana Peel update, but a lot of people seemed to love the pictures and the coy writing, so hey.

Iam Canadian

Jiggy37 said:
Personally, I don't care for the Banana Peel update, but a lot of people seemed to love the pictures and the coy writing, so hey.

I completely forgot about the banana peel. Not even the screenshots and the humorous text couldn redeem that update.

Sciz

mclem said:
Ages and ages ago, I came to the conclusion that possibly the best company to put out a similar Brawl-alike with their own characters could be Lucasarts. Who wouldn't want to beat up Darth Vader with Bernard Bernoulli, or LeChuck with Bobbin Threadbare?

I'd buy it in a heartbeat, if only they weren't so busy pretending they've never made anything but Star Wars games.

Danthrax said:
To say nothing of Sam & Max, or several of the characters from Full Throttle.

Not that LucasArts has had the rights to Sam & Max for a number of years now.

Iam Canadian said:

Yeah, there are those impressions floating around out there. Apparently only some characters can do it (Pika, Snake, Bowser, others) and it is achieved simply by holding diagonally down while walking. No one who attended the show seems to think it'll be very useful, but I guess we'll see.

Iam Canadian said:
I completely forgot about the banana peel. Not even the screenshots and the humorous text couldn redeem that update.

That was before the string of really awesome updates that raised our expectations, so at the time it didn't seem as bad.

I think once we get all of the E for All stuff out of the way, the updates will be alot more substantial.

Personally, I think Sakurai is saving most of the megatons for us to discover on our own.

Haha. Bonsly walks around. Pokemon fans must be creaming their pants. Otherwise I can't see any reason why we should give a shit about a walking tree-thing.

Jiggy

OliveJuice said:
Yes Sakurai, get the crappy updates out of the way! Soon we will get megatons after megatons.
Believe!

Coming soon: the Music Creator from Mario Paint, Pixel Art Melee where all the characters are represented in 8-bit or 16-bit graphics, Kirby Super Star as an unlockable, the Frame Skip option, Bomberman, a Disappearing Stage Melee that carries the mechanics of the Matter Splatter stage into every stage, 1000 Wii Points that come in the SSBB box, the DQIX hero in both genders, an operatic rendition of Ballad of the Wind Fish so awesome that you'll turn your speakers so high you'll go deaf and back in ten seconds flat, a complex character-driven dating sim where Luigi tries to win Peach from his brother even while she tries to teach Mario to overcome his inability to communicate any feelings except his happy ones, a secret code to password-lock your item switch settings, and a Subspace Emissary Second Quest complete with more New Game+ options than Tales of Symphonia.

...You know, it's hard coming up with this stuff without repeating the things I've said before and the other things I've said before and some other things I've said before and some other things I've also said before.

evilromero said:
Haha. Bonsly walks around. Pokemon fans must be creaming their pants. Otherwise I can't see any reason why we should give a shit about a walking tree-thing.
I am to Pokemon as Amir0x is to Earthbound, but Bonsly can stay away from my Dojo. :mad:

>_>

Is this Sakurai's idea of gamer hell? Updating with a barrage of Pokemon characters? Yeah, thanks. I almost forgot I was buying a Pokemon fighting game.

Jiggy

I'd actually buy a dedicated Pokemon fighting game, but if it came down to it I'd rather have Pokemon Tactics and the dedicated fighting game could be for the Fire Emblem series. I want to play as Lyn, Hector, Tana, and Nephenee. :(

Jiggy

Firestorm said:
I refreshed yesterday, saw Bonsly, and didn't even wait for the English update.
And this is Firestorm, who runs NeoGAF's Pokemon tournaments. Don't blame the fans, blame the Bonsly and its horrible, horrible existence. :mad:

Teasel

everything is better than a how to play or something that we already know so this is already better than the latest stuff we got
beside this is an interessing pokemon,ok nobody likes bonsly (i don't like almost every pokemon that isn't blastoise but that's another story) but from what i understand he acts like a really slow but really powerfull weapon,that's a first for pokemon,a nice idea and certainly works better than "i just throwed a mr.saturn at you and nothing happened"

beside i would like to add that there were quite a few time where after we got a pokemon update the next update was an AT
(meowth on 17 november http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/items/mball/mball06.html
little mac on 18 november http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/items/assist/assist10.html
munchlax on 10 september http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/items/mball/mball04.html
lyn on 11 september http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/items/assist/assist07.html) so ehy maybe tomorrow we get an AT... maybe the metroid one

boiled goose

good with gravy
cmon guys this update wasnt so bad.... something new got revealed at least!

People were excited when the new items were being revealed during the first weeks of the site? what happened.... sakurai spoiled us i guess.........

Iam Canadian

Jiggy37 said:
I am to Pokemon as Amir0x is to Earthbound, but Bonsly can stay away from my Dojo. :mad:

>_>

Jiggy37 said:
And this is Firestorm, who runs NeoGAF's Pokemon tournaments. Don't blame the fans, blame the Bonsly and its horrible, horrible existence. :mad:

This is true. Lame updates transcend all series affiliation.

For instance, I think I've established my intense adoration of Earthbound quite thoroughly by now, but even I would be disappointed by, say, a confirmation of a Peanut Cheese Bar as an item that heals 20% damage or something.
Though, it would confirm the presence of Mother 2 aspects...

Jiggy37 said:
*Awesome megaton stuff*

I like the way you think.

Jiggy

amtentori said:
People were excited when the new items were being revealed during the first weeks of the site? what happened.... sakurai spoiled us i guess.........
Well, up until July we hadn't seen any of these things:

July - Assist trophies, Bower's final smash (confirmation that not all final smashes would be some kind of super attack), the E3 movie, footstool jumping
August - Ike, Subspace Emissary, Pokemon Trainer, Subspace Army, Diddy Kong, gliding, WarioWare (first really unusual stage)
September - My Music, Wi-Fi Play
October - Lucas, Snake's movie, Shadow Moses Island and its three movies, co-op Subspace Emissary, Sonic, Sonic's movie, a conference movie, PictoChat, replays, King Dedede, Stage Builder

And then came November.

November - Spectator

And that's about it for stuff that was as earth-shaking as any of the other updates I listed. Of course, part of this might be that by now we're just used to some of this stuff... The Gray Fox and Saki assist trophies might have been mind-blowing in July and now they're not so much, Wario's final smash would have been super awesome if it beat Giga Bowser to the punch, etc.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Looks like EGM is having a Smash blowout in their next issue...it'll probably just be repackaged site updates though.

Iam Canadian

HK-47 said:
Looks like EGM is having a Smash blowout in their next issue...it'll probably just be repackaged site updates though.

It can't be as disappointing as Nintendo's "hands-on" with Smash.
Yes it can.

CoroCoro is on the 15th, right?

Jiggy

CoroCoro's on the 15th... But that's the 14th for many of us, I think? Whatever the case, this is going to be one amazing week of news for me. NPD figures and possible Smash info. :eek: Plus we've already had VC gifting and it's only Monday. Awesome.

A Link to the Snitch said:
I want Mr. Saturn variations. Dr. Saturn FTW?
If I had a choice of what they'd devote resources to for Mother items, I'd want to see Skip Sandwiches first. Restore 6 HP, grant a temporary half-Bunny Hood effect, doubling running speed but not jumping. :D
But yeah, Dr. Saturn would be a real, real nice touch.

Milabrega

Jiggy37 said:
CoroCoro's on the 15th... But that's the 14th for many of us, I think? Whatever the case, this is going to be one amazing week of news for me. NPD figures and possible Smash info. :eek: Plus we've already had VC gifting and it's only Monday. Awesome.

The CoroCoro news is the exclusive starting roster news correct? Does that mean any as of yet to be announced starters will come to CoroCoro first and then the smash site, or can the smash site still reveal starters as of yet to be annnounced this week before the CoroCoro news, and the corocoro News just verify if they are starters or not? I guess it would help to know if all known characters are starters or not.

Jiggy

Well, you all have gone and done it. Now I'm in an Earthbound mood and that means for tonight I predict not one, but two versions of the New Age Retro Hippie theme: one with vocals and one without. Would blow my mind.

Milabrega said:
The CoroCoro news is the exclusive starting roster news correct? Does that mean any as of yet to be announced starters will come to CoroCoro first and then the smash site, or can the smash site still reveal starters as of yet to be annnounced this week before the CoroCoro news, and the corocoro News just verify if they are starters or not? I guess it would help to know if all known characters are starters or not.
There was some debate about this, but apparently they said they'd be showing "all" characters... Whether that means just the starters or the whole roster, I don't know.
This game would have been out in at least one region if not for the delay, so I could imagine that maybe all the characters would be shown off, but if that's the case it would be very strange that the Dojo hasn't had any for so long....

Iam Canadian

Jiggy37 said:
Well, you all have gone and done it. Now I'm in an Earthbound mood and that means for tonight I predict not one, but two versions of the New Age Retro Hippie theme: one with vocals and one without. Would blow my mind.

The New Age Retro Hippie song is the greatest battle theme in any RPG ever released. I'd be ecstatic if Sakurai put it in.

He gave the Donkey Kong fans Stickerbrush Symphony, so let's hope he gives my fellow Mother fans and I our Hippie theme.

Incidentally, assuming Mother gets a boss in the Subspace Emissary, hopefully the music for that battle is the theme for the fight with Heavily Armed Pokey and Giygas from Earthbound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom