• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snack World (new multimedia project by L5) announced (3DS/Mobile)

JMTHEFOX

Main protagonist looks like the main character from, Kuang Kuang Diary (at least in terms of eyes):
20100122145050_8821.jpg

This looks interesting, I hope Cartoon Network picks up the anime in the US at least.

Garou

The animation in the promo-video was super-smooth and high quality, plus the series itself seems to be extremely tongue-in-cheek in regards to classic RPG-tropes. Got lots of Wreck-it Ralph-vibes.

I am quite intrigued by this. They said they plan to have the anime in the same way as the promo, let's hope the quality holds up on a weekly basis.

Mask

With a furtive glance at my Japanese New 3DS, I can tell this is going to cost me a lot of money.

Those keychains though, damn.

I like everything about this so far. Hopefully the game turns out to be good and the keychains are well implemented/cheap.

RK128

Didn't understand a word said in the animation (don't know Japanese sadly :() but I love the how expressive the character animate and the main character reminds me a lot of Finn from Adventure Time (always pushing forward and just rolling with the craziness around him).

Also love the RPG touches the animation has (the background of the main character, the princess character, and even the battle introduction with HP/Magic bars and his party fleeing), really reminding me of Wreck it Ralph and once again, Adventure Time (that series always felt like a surreal version of the Zelda series to me).

The game using the key-chain's is a smart idea, as that being tied to the classes is a great way in doing the Skylanders-thing with the 3DS/iOS game :D (gives a the main character a lot of flexibility in terms of growth).

Really hope this comes to America and Europe faster then Level-5's other properties; this has the potential to really take off and be a hit :D.

casiopao

Highly interesting new IP and idea.^_^ But...... i also said that for Wonderflick and we know what happen there. Going to be cautiously interested here.T_T

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Is there no button control for this?
Touch screen only would be terrible.

Phantom Hourglass wasn't terrible at all, imho, in terms of control scheme. I could see this being touch, if they are developing exaclty the same game for mobile too, even if probably adding an additional input (the analogo) would not be so heavy in terms of programming. We'll see.

yes, I was looking for this image to be added in the OP, thank you for the update!

20150407_044129_thumb.png

Highly interesting new IP and idea.^_^ But...... i also said that for Wonderflick and we know what happen there. Going to be cautiously interested here.T_T

Wonderflick was their first real attempt to the mobile market. It had various issues int erms of bugs or something like that, that's one of the reasons why it failed and they (apparently) cancelled its console versions.
I can't see that fail to somehow tone down this multimedia franchise, that is way more in line with their classic outputs and that will probably be out on 3DS at the same time of the mobile version. Localization timeframe will be as long as a pain in the ass, of course, as usual...

The best thing from the stream for sure.

I quite liked the show too (and I couldn't even understand what they were saying =X)

Hopefully L5 will do a faster job in localization for this.

casiopao

Phantom Hourglass wasn't terrible at all, imho, in terms of control scheme. I could see this being touch, if they are developing exaclty the same game for mobile too, even if probably adding an additional input (the analogo) would not be so heavy in terms of programming. We'll see.

yes, I was looking for this image to be added in the OP, thank you for the update!

20150407_044129_thumb.png

Wonderflick was their first real attempt to the mobile market. It had various issues int erms of bugs or something like that, that's one of the reasons why it failed and they (apparently) cancelled its console versions.
I can't see that fail to somehow tone down this multimedia franchise, that is way more in line with their classic outputs and that will probably be out on 3DS at the same time of the mobile version. Localization timeframe will be as long as a pain in the ass, of course, as usual...

A huge collab there. From Corocoro to TV tokyo to Takara Tomy and of course Toei. A huge collab.^_^

duckroll

A huge collab there. From Corocoro to TV tokyo to Takara Tomy and of course Toei. A huge collab.^_^

Toho is not Toei. Toei has nothing to do with this, they're an animation company. Toho is a film distributor, and they'll be handling the distribution for the Snack World films. The animation is by OLM, Level5's long time partner for this sort of stuff (Inazuma, LBX, Yokai Watch).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Toho is not Toei. Toei has nothing to do with this, they're an animation company. Toho is a film distributor, and they'll be handling the distribution for the Snack World films. The animation is by OLM, Level5's long time partner for this sort of stuff (Inazuma, LBX, Yokai Watch).

If you want to correct OP's info, please let me know. I probably did some mistake there :)

Keyouta

They're collaborating with Toho (東宝) for movies. So 5 companies working on this multimedia project. Looks cool, I'm interested. Keychain NFC toys are a genius idea for Japan.

Impotaku

From toys of this nature i'd guess that they will be random, they do blind box stuff a lot in japan for stuff like that.

Pikma

Banned
As good as it looks, I can't get excited anymore about something that will probably take 2-3 years to arrive here, if it ever does. So, bleh, who cares.

This looks fun, and I like the NFC stuff being used away from Amiibos.

I'm definitely curious.

Also, reminds me alot of Fantasy Life, which is a good thing :)

Slime

Banned
The game probably won't be very good, but that video was really awesome.

Level-5 is going to make bank on the keychain gimmick, got damn.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
No, I mean why Nintendo isn't doing cross media projects for their new or old IPs too?
Pokemon.

Also I think they are expanding in that direction. Amiibo and possibly media expansions in the future.

adixon

The art style is pretty darn well done. Cool to see level 5 experimenting in an area they're already one of the best.

The dub is really bad! I'm getting slight Adventure Time vibes from this now, too.

I guess the dub is kinda proof that it might come here? Yep, I'm fucking doomed. I'm going to end up buying so many Trejara Boxes. Tre Jara Boxes? I don't know which.

Kinda wish they get Jacob Hopkins (voice of Gumball) or Zach Callison (voice of Steven) to do the main character's voice. The voice actress was good at times but it's so obviously a woman's voice. Hell, get Tara Strong to do since she is really good at voicing little boys.

RK128

The VA was....'meh' but considering this is a very early version of this dub (not even sure if all the episodes of the show are finished yet or the game for that matter), this is a great sign that this series will come west-ward soon :).

Guess that after the huge success of Yak-Watch, they want to bring their future IP's to the west faster, so having that in mind when making this is a really smart idea. Love the character designs and the keychain-class idea is very interesting, most notibaly the way both the show and game uses it (works almost 1-to-1 across both mediums; the show the main character makes them morph into larger weapons while the game has you scanning them amiibo style on the touch screen to summon them). Should prevent issues happening with mixing up or ignoring gameplay mechanics (see Pokemon and Ash being 'the very best' trainer out their :l).

Really looking forward to the show as it reminds me a lot of Adventure Time, and that is a great show too :D.

Tizoc

Woah woah woah I JUST NOW saw the images from the anime promo, gonna give it a watch, let's see if they can deliver with the cgi....

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
The VA was....'meh' but considering this is a very early version of this dub (not even sure if all the episodes of the show are finished yet or the game for that matter), this is a great sign that this series will come west-ward soon :).

Guess that after the huge success of Yak-Watch, they want to bring their future IP's to the west faster, so having that in mind when making this is a really smart idea. Love the character designs and the keychain-class idea is very interesting, most notibaly the way both the show and game uses it (works almost 1-to-1 across both mediums; the show the main character makes them morph into larger weapons while the game has you scanning them amiibo style on the touch screen to summon them). Should prevent issues happening with mixing up or ignoring gameplay mechanics (see Pokemon and Ash being 'the very best' trainer out their :l).

Really looking forward to the show as it reminds me a lot of Adventure Time, and that is a great show too :D.

for the possible wrstern faster localization, I suppose that Hasbro licensing deal for YW could have a role also in the long term for Snack world. it's not a case, I suppose, that they shifted from Bandai to Takara Tomi right after that YW Hasbro "betrayalon"

The game looks to be extremely promising, especially with the key function.

I think the character designs are some of the best Level-5 has created. Here's hoping it's fun to play!

Top Bottom