• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Club: Super Punch-Out!!: Complete goals to earn stamps! (Oct 16th-31st)

What is the difference between a body blow and uppercut to the opponent? Are some opponents weaker to one than the other?

Also, is the achievement supposed to be Sandman or Super Macho Man? Because it says 3/4 of the way through the game but Sandman is half way and Macho Man is 3/4.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What is the difference between a body blow and uppercut to the opponent? Are some opponents weaker to one than the other?

Also, is the achievement supposed to be Sandman or Super Macho Man? Because it says 3/4 of the way through the game but Sandman is half way and Macho Man is 3/4.

I believe I had meant Super Macho Man, my apologies, I'll fix that. (But anyone who submitted for Mr. Sandman can keep the stamp)

Thud

Yes, some take more damage to the body. Also some leave their body more open than their head.

I'm currently stuck on Aran Ryan again. Timing throws me off lol.

neoemonk

So this may sound crazy, and I know the comparison is done to death in general, but I really feel like playing all the Punch Out games when I was younger helped me play through Bloodborne and all the Souls games. I just always got the feeling when I was playing through bosses in Souls that it was very similar, especially not taking the bait on hesitations.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Darnit why did someone have to make Stump add on to the requirement. *shakes fist*

Sorry, what's that, you want the blindfold stamp to be beating the whole game blindfolded? *ducks rain of shoes thrown at his head*

(I wouldn't actually do this... or would I?)

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Sorry, what's that, you want the blindfold stamp to be beating the whole game blindfolded? *ducks rain of shoes thrown at his head*

(I wouldn't actually do this... or would I?)

Is this gonna be your hardest one for a star goal? Or is F Zero gonna make me cry :/

Actually beating SMK on 150 in first will probably break me.

Also Contra 3.

Oh God you sadist you started with Mario to lull us into a false sense of security

QUOTE=Gipsy Danger;252082130]What is the difference between a body blow and uppercut to the opponent? Are some opponents weaker to one than the other?

Also, is the achievement supposed to be Sandman or Super Macho Man? Because it says 3/4 of the way through the game but Sandman is half way and Macho Man is 3/4.[/QUOTE]

You better not have gotten the stamp for sandman before posting this :p

KayMote

Man, this game might be not for me... I'm having a save state before 'Bald Bull' and I just can't beat him for life! This is getting frustrating and I'm slowly losing my motivation.

Up until this point I won't deny that there is this sense of progression and rhythm to the game (it's a great feeling to beat the first opponent within 25 seconds and without getting hit once) and I can get to Bald Bull now no problem even with 5 lifes, but after that... no way.

I am just not able to read the choppy animations correctly and it is so frustrating to only take a pixel of his health, while he has me down with 3-4 punches... Also, it feels like this game is too combo heavy. If you can't land a final Super Punch and get hit, you have to get another combo going, since your P-bar is already empty at that point again. Sorry, I'm mad as hell right now -.-

Blizzard

Banned
Man, this game might be not for me... I'm having a save state before 'Bald Bull' and I just can't beat him for life! This is getting frustrating and I'm slowly losing my motivation.

Up until this point I won't deny that there is this sense of progression and rhythm to the game (it's a great feeling to beat the first opponent within 25 seconds and without getting hit once) and I can get to Bald Bull now no problem even with 5 lifes, but after that... no way.

I am just not able to read the choppy animations correctly and it is so frustrating to only take a pixel of his health, while he has me down with 3-4 punches... Also, it feels like this game is too combo heavy. If you can't land a final Super Punch and get hit, you have to get another combo going, since your P-bar is already empty at that point again. Sorry, I'm mad as hell right now -.-
I think that's just how the game works. With low latency, good reflexes, and tons of practice, you can win, but otherwise for a new player it's a slog. I failed about an hour straight at the luchador before giving up and I can only imagine there are like 15 boxers after that before the very first goal. :p

I think that's just how the game works. With low latency, good reflexes, and tons of practice, you can win, but otherwise for a new player it's a slog. I failed about an hour straight at the luchador before giving up and I can only imagine there are like 15 boxers after that before the very first goal. :p

The next fight is Mr. Sandman. There’s only 16 boxers in the whole game.

I looked at the Passport Stamps for Super Punch-Out and thought, “Man, these are easy...” but I guess I didn’t take in to account that I’ve been playing this game almost yearly for over 20 years.

Blizzard

Banned
The next fight is Mr. Sandman. There’s only 16 boxers in the whole game.

I looked at the Passport Stamps for Super Punch-Out and thought, “Man, these are easy...” but I guess I didn’t take in to account that I’ve been playing this game almost yearly for over 20 years.
Hmm, I guess that's 5 more boxers to go. I might get that by the end of the month, thanks.

Alright, I'm skipping this game. Round 3 Sandman is too frustrating. I'll get a head start on one of the RPGs instead.

Gave it one more shot, and actually won. Guess I'm going farther down the rabbit hole.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
That thumbnail is awfully suspicious. Hmmmmm.

Is this gonna be your hardest one for a star goal? Or is F Zero gonna make me cry :/

Actually I need someone here who is extremely good at F-Zero to help balance the star goal -- I'm not good enough to do so. I'm looking for the star goal to be getting a time on Mute City that's close to the world record, but I don't know how close is too hard and I can't get anywhere near it.

Blizzard

Banned
That thumbnail is awfully suspicious. Hmmmmm.

Actually I need someone here who is extremely good at F-Zero to help balance the star goal -- I'm not good enough to do so. I'm looking for the star goal to be getting a time on Mute City that's close to the world record, but I don't know how close is too hard and I can't get anywhere near it.
If you call them out but it turns out the picture is legitimate, can we force you to do the blindfolded challenge? :D

Robin64

Back when we had a NeoGAF Virtual Console Leaderboards thread going on, we had these times submitted. And they were damn good times.

The F-Zero goals should be along the lines of:

1. Press Start on the Title Screen

2. Select the Blue Falcon

Star Goal: Win any race on Easy

You guys think Super Punch-Out is hard? Just wait until you try and play F-Zero.

neoemonk

F-Zero shouldn’t be too bad (star goal notwithstanding) unless you’re forced to do all vehicles or all difficulties or something like that.

cyba89

I'm already struggling with Piston Hurricane. :eek:

I ner played SNES Punch Out but I don't remember having so many problems on the NES or Wii game.

Edit:
And a few tries later I manage to Quick KO him. Maybe I still have a chance for the first challenge at least.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
This blindfold thing is a little nuts. I’m not even really sure how to practice.

Play with headphones and your eyes open, pay attention to audio cues, use save states to practice one opponent again and again. I'd also focus on memorizing quick kill strategies; you're way more likely to be able to make progress if you focus on memorizing some very basic patterns to nuke them quickly than if you actually try to play the game blind.

andymcc

Banned
Cool, I’ve already been practicing this. I can comfortably beat the game. Just need to work on some of these quick knockdowns for the problematic guys (fuck you Hoy).

neoemonk

Gabby Jay has been beaten with my eyes closed.

Gotta be honest, this is making me question my life decisions right now.

KayMote

YES! Finally beat Bald Bull and had some sort of reliable strategy for him, so for my honor I restarted the entire circuit (I had a save state just in front of the last fight) to beat everybody in the row and managed to beat him on my first try!

Is it two more Circuits - so 8 more opponents - for the first stamp?

So Rick Bruiser is actually a bit of a push-over once you memorize his moveset, although I suppose that could be said for everyone in the game. Finally beat him three times in a row with relative ease. Gotta connect with the body blows after he finishes a sequence to set up the jabs, and dodge timing on his one-hit KO move is crucial. I feel like once you get your dodge timing down he becomes a piece of cake.

CassSept

Just to make sure, Stump, getting best time results on leaderboards is not enough for the third goal, you have to perform a quick KO on every enemy where it's possible?

Blizzard

Banned
I imagine some enemies are easier if I looked up strategy for them, but it feels like such cheating that I'm forcing myself to learn every enemy the hard way, playing the game for the first time.

Unfortunately this means I don't know stuff like, is there any difference between dodging and counterpunching? Is it always safer to dodge? WHO KNOWS! And if someone tells me isn't that basically cheating and ruining the challenge for me?! :p

*edit* And some moves for example feel unblockable but I'm guessing I could counterpunch? But I basically have no idea whether I should be training myself to counterpunch or training myself to dodge them other than trying the same thing 50 times. And I don't know if I'm wasting 30 minutes trying to time my punches to match enemy punches, or whether that's totally the wrong approach.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I've been playing this for a few days now and eventually got to the point where I can go 4-0 on the World Circuit and even take down Narcis Prince and Hoy Quarlow with relative ease.

Then I reach Rick Bruiser and everything falls apart.

Don't see myself getting past him any time soon unless I can perfect the quick TKO.
Rick is harder than Nick. He may be telling the truth that he let his brother win

Blizzard

Banned
I let that gray-haired guy win a game by sitting and doing nothing because I felt bad for him. It took a while though. "Yay!"

Now that I've beaten Sandman, which is probably the last boss that's POSSIBLE for normal humans to beat, until Stump gave in purely on the argument of fractions rather than difficulty, someone please spoil the fight for me. Is there any way to block the head wobble right right left (or is it random?) punch pattern?
The only thing I ever found to do was just eat the first punches and duck the final strong one. Attempting to counterpunch or block never did anything at all, and dodging early means you eat the final punch.

Wow so the first circuit and Bob Charlie were no problem but Dragon Chan was like hitting a brick wall. I still can’t figure him out

Blizzard

Banned
Wow so the first circuit and Bob Charlie were no problem but Dragon Chan was like hitting a brick wall. I still can’t figure him out
He was so much easier for me than the other fighters around him. If you want spoiled:

Almost all of his moves are very slow and hugely telegraphed. If he does a flying kick, you have plenty of time to duck under it. If he does the nearby kicks, you have to react quickly but you can dodge to the opposite side. For anything else, you just need to get him to start sliding, and then you're guaranteed a 3-hit punch combo minimum once you dodge after he starts dodging. Any time you see him doing the slow slide is almost guaranteed hits for you once you dodge.

Blizzard

Banned
Aran Ryan is another example. His moves are basically easy to counter with one exception which is an infinite duration guaranteed kill.

Obviously there is some way to avoid this, which I haven't figured out from the main menu tutorial, but instead of feeling like I'm improving, I feel like my choices are to cheat by asking online / in the thread, or just do the same thing for 45 minutes until I randomly find the basic game mechanic I'm not understanding.

Instead of feeling like the challenge comes from timing, I feel like the challenge comes from not understanding the game mechanics. :/

*edit* Another example: On the "grab him" example, one time I
spammed two buttons
and had one outcome. Other times I've
spammed the same two buttons
and had a different outcome. I have no idea if it's because of my start / end timing, if it's RNG, if I'm not spamming fast enough, if I need to combo with another button, or what.

*edit2* Yup, turns out it was two missing game mechanics.
Even though it appears that his punches are mostly on a level plane, one of them is considered low, so you actually have to block low/high/low/high rather than dodging or counterpunching or dodging and then attacking. If you do the blocks, it also conveniently cancels the infinite damage mechanic.

And about him trying to grab, it turns out if you just punch him in a 3-hit combo before he actually tries to grab you, this completely cancels his special move. Why? Who knows! I thought I was supposed to dodge special moves instead of trying to cancel them.

jholmes

8fk83PA.jpg

#tko #wvba

The reason for the absolutely absurd number of victories was I suspected one of the goals would be to get all 1s on the records screen. (The only one I'm missing is the time for Nick Bruiser.) Sorta regret that in hindsight!

#tko #wvba

The reason for the absolutely absurd number of victories was I suspected one of the goals would be to get all 1s on the records screen. (The only one I'm missing is the time for Nick Bruiser.) Sorta regret that in hindsight!

That’s awesome. I’m still stuck on Major Circuit. Do those leaderboards not count towards the Quick Kills requirement?

KayMote

So, for the first goal - are save states allowed in between the fights? I'll obviously try beating the 3 circuits without, but I'm not sure if I will ever pull it off.

Blizzard

Banned
So, for the first goal - are save states allowed in between the fights? I'll obviously try beating the 3 circuits without, but I'm not sure if I will ever pull it off.
I asked the same question earlier and if I understand correctly the implied answer was yes.

neoemonk

I’ve been able to beat Bear Hugger three times with my eyes closed now. Still have to do Honda and Bull, and of course once I can do that string them all together.

I think my job is going to interfere with my training though. Damn it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
RE rules:

1. For the first goal, you can use save states (use your conscience to avoid cheesing your way out of every punch)
2. For the second goal, it explicitly says not to use save states.
3. For the third goal, you can use save states (but if you do the blindfolded run, you'll have to use the savestates blindfolded)

For the Quick Kills, I didn't have an exact amount of time in mind -- just the idea that you go and learn world record type strategies, get KOs for anyone where it's possible, get fast TKOs for everyone else, get the top of the leaderboards, really demonstrate complete mastery of the game. If you feel comfortable that you you're, like, a Super Punch-Out!! expert and you've really put the game through the ringer and you've got the top leaderboard times and you're confident you can't improve except marginally, then by all means turn it in.

Beefwheat

Breezed through the first circuit & had some close calls in 2nd, but made it through. It's amazing to me that although I haven't played this for years, some of the timing and tricks are still in the old brain-box somewhere.

The name of my first wall is Heike Kaguro, who TKO'd me without my even managing a single down on him. But the little tippy-tap dance he does while you're down actually makes me laugh, so I can't stay mad. The work begins!

(Side-note about the Classic Club; I finished my SMW goals fairly early and had time to wait until SPO. Even though we knew this game was next for a while, I didn't let myself tackle it until this post went up. The anticipation actually felt good and fun, like I was waiting for the game to release all over again. I encourage y'all to savour these games if you can!)

Top Bottom