• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
They allow for manuals? Seems like I will be getting these. I have a number of games with manuals, and these would be perfect.

Yep. He actually had to have their manufacturer create a completely different size mold for their SNES/SFC cases just because the manuals wouldn't fit into their NES-sized cases. Unless there are games with very awkwardly sized manuals, there shouldn't be any issues.

Hi everyone!

I've lurked in this thread for a long time but never posted in it before, despite having collected (and sold, and then re-collected) SNES games for years, and probably have about 70 or so at the moment...

X5Iclqq.jpg

I also dabble in buying up some PS2 and Dreamcast games, but SNES is always where my heart as a gamer will remain, as it has since I was a little kid.

Anyway, I wanted to post because I bought a "new" (used) SNES over the weekend that needed a little cleaning...

YhcW2VN.jpg

OK, so it needed a LOT of cleaning...

aRhYVFG.jpg

And while I was in there, I decided to break off the tabs so it could play import games! I bought my first Super Famicom game at my local retro game store last night, and it works!

zJuvSqu.jpg

I've looked at a few videos and articles regarding the "best" Japanese-exclusive Super Famicom games, but I wanted to see what suggestions you guys might have for must-own SFC games. Keeping in mind that I can't read a lick of Japanese, so no Star Ocean or Seiken Densetsu 3 for me. I would be more interested in relatively easy to understand action or puzzle games, which I can get at a reasonable price.

I've looked at a few videos and articles regarding the "best" Japanese-exclusive Super Famicom games, but I wanted to see what suggestions you guys might have for must-own SFC games. Keeping in mind that I can't read a lick of Japanese, so no Star Ocean or Seiken Densetsu 3 for me. I would be more interested in relatively easy to understand action or puzzle games, which I can get at a reasonable price.

See post #9298 on the previous page

In addition to those, I'd suggest Mario & Wario if you have a SNES mouse, and Mario no Super Picross.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm in a hotel for the next couple weeks, since I just moved and I'm waiting for my apartment to open up... and I brought my SNES. I plug the SNES into the TV, throw in Akumajou Dracula IV, and....

nothing.

:(

Not sure why I'm getting no signal at all. But I want to cry bloody tears.

See post #9298 on the previous page

in addition to those, I'd sugges Mario & Wario if you have a SNES mouse, and Mario no Super Picross.

Hah, thanks dude! Would've been nice if I went back ONE page before posting that, huh. :)

I did pick up Mario & Wario last night, and it was actually in-box with the mouse. I tried it out just to see if the system would work, but have yet to actually play it.

I'm in a hotel for the next couple weeks, since I just moved and I'm waiting for my apartment to open up... and I brought my SNES. I plug the SNES into the TV, throw in Akumajou Dracula IV, and....

nothing.

:(

Not sure why I'm getting no signal at all. But I want to cry bloody tears.
Don't hotels typically block external signals from their TVs? They want you to buy their pay per view stuff.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Don't hotels typically block external signals from their TVs? They want you to buy their pay per view stuff.

That's my guess, but I've never actually had that problem before. Then again, it's been a looooooong time since I've tried hooking a game system up to a hotel TV.

Future sucks, man.

Hi everyone!

I've lurked in this thread for a long time but never posted in it before, despite having collected (and sold, and then re-collected) SNES games for years, and probably have about 70 or so at the moment...

X5Iclqq.jpg

I also dabble in buying up some PS2 and Dreamcast games, but SNES is always where my heart as a gamer will remain, as it has since I was a little kid.

Anyway, I wanted to post because I bought a "new" (used) SNES over the weekend that needed a little cleaning...

YhcW2VN.jpg

aRhYVFG.jpg

And while I was in there, I decided to break off the tabs so it could play import games! I bought my first Super Famicom game at my local retro game store last night, and it works!

zJuvSqu.jpg

Whatcha got in that box there? I always get anxious when I see cartridges amassed like that: you never know what treasures lay within.

Whatcha got in that box there? I always get anxious when I see cartridges amassed like that: you never know what treasures lay within.

Sure, I keep a list of all my games on Google Drive so if I'm out and about, I can review it and make sure I don't get doubles. Here's everything I have so far, a few of them are boxed and in my closet at the moment, not in the picture:

Actraiser, Actraiser 2, Aero the Acrobat, Arkanoid: Doh It Again, Axelay, Battletoads in Battlemaniacs, Breath of Fire, Bugs Bunny: Rabbit Rampage, Claymates, Contra III: Alien Wars, Disney's Aladdin, Disney's Bonkers, Disney's Goof Troop (I have a thing for Disney games, especially Capcom ones), Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!, F-Zero, Final Fight 2, Great Circus Mystery w/ Mickey and Minnie, Illusion of Gaia, Killer Instinct, Kirby's Dream Course, Kirby Super Star, Legend of the Mystical Ninja, Magical Quest w/ Mickey Mouse, Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow, Mega Man 7, Mega Man Soccer, Mega Man X, Mega Man X2, Michael Jordan: Chaos in the Windy City, Mickey Mania, Mickey's Ultimate Challenge, Pilotwings, Pinocchio, Pocky and Rocky, Saturday Night Slam Masters, Secret of Evermore, Secret of Mana, Snow White: Happily Ever After (NOT a Disney game!), Star Fox, Street Fighter Alpha 2, Stunt Race FX, Super Bomberman 2, Super Castlevania IV, Super Game Boy, Super Ghouls n' Ghosts, Super Mario All-Stars, Super Mario Kart, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, Super Mario World, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Super Metroid, Super Play Action Football, Super Punch-Out!!, Super Smash TV, Super Tennis, Tetris Attack, The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past, Timon & Pumbaa - Jungle Games, Tiny Toons: Buster Busts Loose, TMNT: Turtles in Time, UN Squadron, Uniracers, Vegas Stakes, Wario's Woods, WWF Raw, WWF Super Wrestlemania & X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse

Lettuce

Heres what im after for SFC..

King Of Demons
22285-500m.jpg

Rockman & Forte
rockforte_front.jpg

Shounen Ninja Sasuke
Shounen%20Ninja%20Sasuke-full.jpg

Ghost Chaser Densei
GhostDensei.jpg

Iron Commando
iron-commando-01.jpg

-KRS-

If you like puzzle games I recommend Super Puyo Puyo 2 Remix, Super Tetris 3 and Tetris Battle Gaiden. They're all pretty cheap CIB.

If you like puzzle games I recommend Super Puyo Puyo 2 Remix, Super Tetris 3 and Tetris Battle Gaiden. They're all pretty cheap CIB.
TBG has actually been on the rise the past year or two though. Harder and harder to fid it for a tenner loose; much less complete.

Hi everyone!

X5Iclqq.jpg

YhcW2VN.jpg

aRhYVFG.jpg

zJuvSqu.jpg

hey Mikey,

Nice work there!

I did that mod recently to the two SNESes around the house.
Ended up putting the Super Famicom back in the closet to save space :p

Nice collection! I'm sweatin'!

-KRS-

TBG has actually been on the rise the past year or two though. Harder and harder to fid it for a tenner loose; much less complete.

It's still pretty cheap though, since it's a puzzle game. There are several CIB on ebay that have ended at less than $10. Not the best condition of course but still. Seems like one in good condition is around $20 or so which is still not that much. Then again, I love Tetris games so of course I think it would be worth $20.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Guys, I am considering buying Hagane, but I think it might be a repro. Any way to find out easily? Does somebody have a picture of the boad laying around? I have tried googling it, and it seems there are genuine problems with Hagane repros floating around, but I still havent been able to find a picture of how the board is supposed to look. Would be awesome to have for comparison.

Olly88

I only have three Super Famicom games at the moment but I'd recommend them all.

Mickey no Tokyo Disneyland Daibouken
Xandra no Daiboken: Valkyrie to no Deai (I count it as a SFC exclusive since the PAL version is so expensive)
Magical Taruruuto-kun - Magic Adventure

They're all platformers so can be played without knowing Japanese. In Magical Taruruuto-kun there are a few minigames between certain levels that are all in Japanese, but they can either be figured out easily (like a high-lo card game is one), or the others you can just guess as I do to get through them easily enough.

Guys, I am considering buying Hagane, but I think it might be a repro. Any way to find out easily? Does somebody have a picture of the boad laying around? I have tried googling it, and it seems there are genuine problems with Hagane repros floating around, but I still havent been able to find a picture of how the board is supposed to look. Would be awesome to have for comparison.

I can try to get a pic up tonight

Its just the same except for one of the numbers on the board. It says SHVC-1JON-10 instead of 20 which is wierd but enough to make me vary I think. Any experts around here?

So, have you seen the board for the one you're thinking of buying? If so, any chance you can post a pic of it here? Fake boards are immediately obvious, they'll have wires or the wrong chips put on converters to make them function/fit correctly. Here are a couple of fakes from the internet:

And here's a hilariously fake Dracula X some piece of shit on eBay sold me, with my real Dracula X on the right:

Morfeo

So, have you seen the board for the one you're thinking of buying? If so, any chance you can post a pic of it here? Fake boards are immediately obvious, they'll have wires or the wrong chips put on converters to make them function/fit correctly. Here are a couple of fakes from the internet:

And here's a hilariously fake Dracula X some piece of shit on eBay sold me, with my real Dracula X on the right:

Yeah, I have a picture of it, here it is:
l8or20p.jpg

Looks ok as far as I can tell?

Mercutio

Did Dracula X on SNES even have a save feature?

Did Dracula X on SNES even have a save feature?

Nope. The person sold it on eBay as not working for $45. I figured It was worth the gamble to see if I could clean it up and get it working. As soon as it arrived I could tell it was a fake from the terrible label that had a ridiculous amount of shit wrong with it.

I tried to open it and it had actually been glued shut. After prying it open I found that monstrosity on the inside. The game worked absolutely fine, so I'm sure the seller was hoping whoever got it would just be so happy it worked they wouldn't really examine it.

I filed a complaint with eBay immediately, dude got pissed and tried to claim I was running a scam by replacing the legit copy he sent me with some fake. He alleged I was disappointed I couldn't get the game working and was trying to get my money back (I never responded in any way indicating that it actually worked 'cause you never know how fucked up eBay can be as far as who they'll side with in a dispute). I responded with a huge detailed photo showing how his original listing pictures prove it was a fake due to the fake label. He never responded with a message, just refunded my money immediately.

Here's the photo I made:

Someone on here pointed out after that the ID code is also wrong (it's actually for Super Mario World).

Nope. The person sold it on eBay as not working for $45. I figured It was worth the gamble to see if I could clean it up and get it working. As soon as it arrived I could tell it was a fake from the terrible label that had a ridiculous amount of shit wrong with it.

I tried to open it and it had actually been glued shut. After prying it open I found that monstrosity on the inside. The game worked absolutely fine, so I'm sure the seller was hoping whoever got it would just be so happy it worked they wouldn't really examine it.

I filed a complaint with eBay immediately, dude got pissed and tried to claim I was running a scam by replacing the legit copy he sent me with some fake. He alleged I was disappointed I couldn't get the game working and was trying to get my money back (I never responded in any way indicating that it actually worked 'cause you never know how fucked up eBay can be as far as who they'll side with in a dispute). I responded with a huge detailed photo showing how his original listing pictures prove it was a fake due to the fake label. He never responded with a message, just refunded my money immediately.
What a scumbag. Glad it worked out for you.

Rydeen

Figured some of you guys would get a kick out of this. Recently scored three issues of Super Play for a reasonable price.
img_20140224_233826hxb7i.png

Been trying to snag a few issues for a few years, but s+h from the UK made it a killer to try and get issues. Found a US seller who bought these back in the nineties and got them for a great price, with shipping and handling included it only cost me $8.

Dig that Wil Overton art!

Peagles

I remember this! That piece of shit. Glad you got your bones back.

dgco86

Morfeo

Figured some of you guys would get a kick out of this. Recently scored three issues of Super Play for a reasonable price.
img_20140224_233826hxb7i.png

Been trying to snag a few issues for a few years, but s+h from the UK made it a killer to try and get issues. Found a US seller who bought these back in the nineties and got them for a great price, with shipping and handling included it only cost me $8.

Dig that Wil Overton art!

Very nice, I love old magazines from this era, and Super Power were among the best imo.

So I stopped by the Half Price Books in Niles, IL with my wife and daughter today, as my wife planned on selling some old teaching books. I happened to see a stack of SNES games behind the counter that had yet to be priced. I asked to see them, and low and behold got Illusion of Gaia and Secret and Evermore for $25 together. Keep in mind I already have around 85 SNES carts, and these were two of the very few games I wanted that I don't already own. Pretty decent deal, no?

BTW, if you want a copy of Ogre Battle 64, they have one they're willing to part with for $25. I wasn't interested as I'm done buying 64 games.

Morfeo

So I stopped by the Half Price Books in Niles, IL with my wife and daughter today, as my wife planned on selling some old teaching books. I happened to see a stack of SNES games behind the counter that had yet to be priced. I asked to see them, and low and behold got Illusion of Gaia and Secret and Evermore for $25 together. Keep in mind I already have around 85 SNES carts, and these were two of the very few games I wanted that I don't already own. Pretty decent deal, no?

BTW, if you want a copy of Ogre Battle 64, they have one they're willing to part with for $25. I wasn't interested as I'm done buying 64 games.

Could you buy it for me? I am paying you for the game and shipping of course. One of the few n64 games i still need to buy.

Teknoman

Yeah usually if you can catch them before they price things, the prices are more reasonable. Of course thats only happened to me once with Super Double Dragon. Too bad most of the HPB in Texas seem to know their stuff.

Yeah usually if you can catch them before they price things, the prices are more reasonable. Of course thats only happened to me once with Super Double Dragon. Too bad most of the HPB in Texas seem to know their stuff.

It does appear to be luck of the draw. The HPB near my office has 3 - Yes 3 - boxed and complete copies of Super Mario 2 on NES. $50/each. The likelihood of having one, let alone three, boggles my mind. Gotta keep hunting.

Fularu

Banned
So I never posted my SNES collection before but hey, why not now?

I know it's rather average, I know many games aren't in the best shape and I know few of them are any rare but a guy has to start somewhere right?

Japanese and PAL games. Tengai Makyo 0 is missing, as well as Illusion of Time (NIB sealed), Secret of Evermore (NIB sealed) and Terranigma (NIB sealed)

US games :

Needless to say, all my games are complete in box, which isn't really hard with the games I have :p

I'll toss in the Genesis collection, because you should never be a fanboy and enjoy games on every system, right? ;) (I'm a Sega fanboy)

Japanese games :

US/Pal games

Not shown is my Sega CD collection (rather modest, the few notables beeing SF CD and Dark Wizard, the rest is super common).

I've been trying to hunt down more games but boy is it super expensive now :(

I'll toss in the Genesis collection, because you should never be a fanboy and enjoy games on every system, right? ;) (I'm a Sega fanboy)

Not shown is my Sega CD collection (rather modest, the few notables beeing SF CD and Dark Wizard, the rest is super common).
Should shoot that this way as well, we'd probably be interested in discussing it in more detail there.

Top Bottom