• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Game Collecting (Tips, discussion, and info for like minded collectors)

PAL carts working on a Super Famicom? Has everything I've known been a lie?

*four PAL carts in an SFC later*

None of them worked. I will never doubt myself again.

Edit: Dug up my Super Key converter I used when I was young to play JPN and USA carts on my original PAL SNES and tried to use that on my Super Famicom with the PAL cartridges for shits and giggles.

No dice.
Some should work. PAL Parodius will work on NTSC systems for example.

Ban Puncher

sEYaxUY.png

Fularu

Banned

AFAIK there are no known PAL games that will work on an NTSC system without an adapter.

Also bought a copy of Jum Power and the Lost Dimension today.

Loved the game on amiga, no idea if the SNES version is any good but for 7$ (shipped) who cares?!

Linkhero1

I replaced my first SNES Battery a few weeks ago. It was my first SNES game, Donkey Kong Country. It stopped working almost 10 years ago but I finally decided to dust off my soldering iron and do the job. It was fairly easy. Anyone have any tips on soldering the batteries? It was a bit hard for me to close the casing with the battery holder inside.

I replaced my first SNES Battery a few weeks ago. It was my first SNES game, Donkey Kong Country. It stopped working almost 10 years ago but I finally decided to dust off my soldering iron and do the job. It was fairly easy. Anyone have any tips on soldering the batteries? It was a bit hard for me to close the casing with the battery holder inside.

I just use these. Have tabs on them so they fit right in just like the old ones. Quick and easy.

Speaking of NWA, anyone pick this up?

CuGUu0G.jpg

Sure, it's not Zuntata, but damn if that game doesn't have killer tunes. Includes OST for both Pocky games as well.

Timu

It'll probably take me over half a year to maybe a year even to get all the SNES games I want...tired of seeing 100-300 bucks games, lol.

noquarter

So started trading some of my MTG cards for SNES games thanks to this thread and have some good ones on the way.

The big problem for me is I only want complete copies. I'll still get a cart only copy if it is cheap until I get a complete copy, but I want it all. Also pretty pissed at my younger self. When I was a kid I also wanted to have everything, but a friend showed me a 'good idea,' how to turn your SNES boxes into Genesis style cases. So after buying some of the hard cases, got my boxes, a pair of scissors and some scotch tape together and made these cases. The all look like shit now :(

It'll probably take me over half a year to maybe a year even to get all the SNES games I want...tired of seeing 100-300 bucks games, lol.

I don't know, for me that is part of the fun of collecting. Always on the hunt looking for the deal of a lifetime, but also saving up to get the game you want at the going price.

So started trading some of my MTG cards for SNES games thanks to this thread and have some good ones on the way.

The big problem for me is I only want complete copies. I'll still get a cart only copy if it is cheap until I get a complete copy, but I want it all. Also pretty pissed at my younger self. When I was a kid I also wanted to have everything, but a friend showed me a 'good idea,' how to turn your SNES boxes into Genesis style cases. So after buying some of the hard cases, got my boxes, a pair of scissors and some scotch tape together and made these cases. The all look like shit now :(
lol, your friend sounds like an ass. No need to mutilate the originals. Buy a printer if you want to make custom cases.

-KRS-

Was at an annual fair today where they sell a bunch of crap for the most part, but there are some sellers there who only sell retro games. Of course, these people are resellers and have insane prices so I didn't expect to find anything worthwhile, but for curiosity's sake I looked through what they had . For example, I saw a PAL SCN cart of Yoshi's Island for 695 SEK (~$102) and a CIB PAL SCN Link to the Past in great condition for 1995 SEK (~$293). A cart of Super Mario Bros. on the NES was 295 SEK (~$43). Metroid NES cart was 795 SEK (~$117).

These reseller people on those fairs have always had crazy prices but it seems this year they've really gone all out lol. Looked through what they had and then left. Wanted to see if they had anything rare to see what they would've wanted for it. Didn't find anything rare though. Cheapest SNES games they had were 195 SEK (~$29) and those were the shitty games you don't want.

alf717

Has anyone tried the retro bright process? I have an SNES and Dreamcast in need of some de-yellowing. I found a video on the process but I want to try and preserve the labels on the console.

Has anyone tried the retro bright process? I have an SNES and Dreamcast in need of some de-yellowing. I found a video on the process but I want to try and preserve the labels on the console.
If you make the gel version, you just apply it to the needed areas. I've never used retr0brite myself.

alf717

If you make the gel version, you just apply it to the needed areas. I've never used retr0brite myself.

The SNES I have is really really yellow. The worst I've ever seen. Might have to do the process a few times. I PMed Hero and of course shortly after remembered the figure it out guy made a video on the process that he used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-usG12Yp2w

GameTechUS has a process as well but it is to dump hydrogen peroxide on it and leave it go for days. Which I believe will ruin the labels. By labels I mean the stickers.

Patience and determination. I've been working building up my SNES collection for several years now, and will probably continue to build for many more. Part of what's slowing me down is that $100+ price tag on a few of the games I want, though.

Timu

Well I picked up Super Mario World for 10 bucks and did a screen in 240p and surprisingly 480p using Dazzle, this means my better capture card could most likely detect it since 480i is the minimum for my Avermedia.
ib1U6zdEanvwxz.PNG
ittxgvBjsW18d.PNG

Also I'm aware that composite sucks and that's why I ordered a SNES RGB Scart cable from ebay.

Hrm.. I thought I was impatient. Sir, no need to rush.
Grab great deals as you see 'em. Never pay more than you feel good about.

Prices may gradually go up over time, but they still fluctuate in the meantime.

I've been building my collections for over 4 years now.. though most of it was Famicom while in Japan. I've been back in the states for over a year now, and have started focusing on NES favorites, dirt cheap deals I can't resist, and trying to start my Genesis collection. SNES is so expensive right now I can't imagine really getting into that for the next year. Maybe a game on my list here or there.. or ideally, by spotting great deals.

I also want to start focusing on trades as opposed to just buying everything. Hurts the wallet.

noquarter

Got some games in, will post a picture when I get home. Got in trade for a couple Magic cards:

Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen (CIB, box is kind of rough)
Final Fantasy III (CIB, box is kind of rough)
Final Fantasy II (CIB, yup, same)

The Final Fantasy II is a double, think I still have a beat up book and box for the one I bought when I bought my SNES originally in like '93/4.

Next think I'll have to try to score a CIB Secret of Mana and ActRaiser. Still got so many good games to buy/re-buy.

^Is Chaos in the Windy City the reason Jordan was never in NBA Jam?

I looked around and apparently Jordan opted out of the normal NBA licensing option so he had more control over what games he was in, leading to this game and a few others. Turns out there are some machines out there with Jordan in it tho. :)

Finally got my boxed games out of the plastic bins and onto a shelf.

So here's my boxed Super Famicom collection. Didn't alphabetize yet, as I was hoping I could make some more space to turn some games sideways, but I'll definitely be needing another shelf if I want to do that.

Not a single one of these exceeded 5 bucks, and almost all of them were probably 1 dollar, occasionally 3 or so dollars. That Japan game hunting!

Sorry for the awful cellphone shot.

Mercutio

Finally got my boxed games out of the plastic bins and onto a shelf.

So here's my boxed Super Famicom collection. Didn't alphabetize yet, as I was hoping I could make some more space to turn some games sideways, but I'll definitely be needing another shelf if I want to do that.

Not a single one of these exceeded 5 bucks, and almost all of them were probably 1 dollar, occasionally 3 or so dollars. That Japan game hunting!

Sorry for the awful cellphone shot.

Hmm, no picture pops up for me!

Seems like this happens every once in awhile from this host.

What do you recommend for uploading images? Postimage just aint cuttin' it, and I'm kind of irritated that all the others now require sign up.

Couldn't resist picking these up today for $5.99 each.

8nXssBgl.jpg
Chaos in the Windy City is pretty legit fun, I find. It's such a stupid concept (a platformer starring Michael Jordan throwing practically infinite basketballs at enemies and slam-dunking them through hoops in lieu of flipping switches), but the developers clearly knew this and ran with it for as far as they could.

Cranzor

How common are fake items? I'm not super familiar with SNES and Super Famicom stuff, but I'm very cautious when it comes to GBA games because of how often they are fake. I came across this deal and it seems way too good for that price. I'm very tempted though!

I've bought quite a few games and never run across one. Big tip is staying away from Brazil, for starters. And any big money game I open up as soon as I get it to check the boards.

Top Bottom