• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Thread | No preorder or shipping discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrk8885

Banned
Anyone else here using the 8bitdo snes controllers? I am and think they’re working perfectly. But I’m talking to a guy in a Facebook group who says the input lag makes it unplayable for him. He says his firmware is all up to date.

I’ve had issues with input lag in the past but am not really experiencing anything like that here. I think it’s working great. Currently playing some SMW without any issues.

What do you guys think?

I tried swapping back for my wired controller and honestly can’t tell a difference.

So when the time comes that we can mod this, rather than what games you are putting on, are you taking any off?

Putting on True Lies for sure. Loved that game when I was a kid. As an adult I should finally be able to finish it. Also adding Indiana Jones' Greatest Adventures and Aladdin.

Robin64

What about the translation? It's the poster child for terrible presumptions made about the SNES based on zsnes (the translation's text won't appear at all in modern Snes9x, Higan, etc releases)

All good!
KLkMxJg.jpg

LordRaptor

Must-Haves:

Death and Return of Superman, The
Great Circus Mystery Starring Mickey & Minnie, The
Indiana Jones' Greatest Adventures
Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow
Plok
X-Men - Mutant Apocalypse

Nice to Have:

Axelay
Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse, The
Ogre Battle - The March of the Black Queen
Seiken Densetsu 3
Star Ocean
Tales of Phantasia

Well, no accounting for taste.
I'd personally take anything listed there in the 'nice' list over anything in the 'must' list any day of the week.

Caja 117

As for Final Fantasy 3 (or 6) when you fight that big snail thing at the beginning, it tells you not to attack the shell, but how do you know when not to input an attack command if it can just disappear into its shell at any time?

Do you just eyeball it or is there some method to cancel an attack I'm missing?.

Once it dissapear jut dont attack, after you input an attack command you cant cancel it, so getting one or two hits in the shell is mot a big problem, my memory is fuzzy, but I remember knowing when to stop using attack commands on the snail to aboid hitting the shell, i could be mistaken, its been a while for me.

Yukinari

honestly, 21 games for the price of $80 is a bargain. it seems greedy to even think of wanting more.

If theyre being this stingy with the game selection on SNES which has a massive library of classics missing then i cant imagine how vapid the N64 will be especially if they dont reach out to 3rd parties. (Rare, Konami, Capcom)

No Demons Crest, Sunset Riders, Magical Quest, Dream Land 3 or Gradius 3 is sad.

Havok1313

What is there to explain? You wait for the enemy to attack, you dodge, then you attack them.

Once you get good enough, you learn their patterns and will be able to either attack them before they attack you, or you can attack them at the same time they attack you. That sometimes results in them getting dizzy, which you can then use to knock them out in one hit.

You can sometimes beat a fighter in seconds if you figure how and when to make them dizzy.

Mostly button inputs...it only tells you how to punch and powerup. There is no mention of how to block high or low. It took me a while to even figure out that you could even throw higher punches and not just the default

If you leave the game on the title screen, it goes through a in-depth tutorial / demo of mechanics and controls.

This helped a little.. I can see this is just going to be a lot of practice at learning which directions to dodge in versus which attacks. Especially coming in brand new.

jviggy43

Once it dissapear jut dont attack, after you input an attack command you cant cancel it, so getting one or two hits in the shell is mot a big problem, my memory is fuzzy, but I remember knowing when to stop using attack commands on the snail to aboid hitting the shell, i could be mistaken, its been a while for me.
Two hits wiped my team actually. Totally didn't realize that it could go into it's shell after I had already hit attack haha. Pretty hilarious actually

SOLDIER

Waiting to hack the SNES mini and play Treasure of the Rudras for the first time like:

tumblr_lvt3hixZS01qfmkdm.gif

Same here.

The idea of a “lost” RPG in the style and quality of FFVI and CT leaves me really excited.

Imagine if this raises awareness to the point that Square becomes baffled by it, while hopefully considering a Remake or more games in that style.

Two hits wiped my team actually. Totally didn't realize that it could go into it's shell after I had already hit attack haha. Pretty hilarious actually

I think one wave of attacks from your three characters is all the time you get initially.

He runs into his shell pretty early in the fight.

Had anyone else completely forgotten about how you can change the color of each 'layer' of the menus in FF III? Totally re created the crazy purple lightning menus from my childhood today!

Whales

Banned
is there no ''shortcut'' on the controller to go back to the home menu?

I know L+R + Select + Start to soft reset the game, but i,d have excepted another combo to go back to the home menu instead of having to get up every time...

I know L+R + Select + Start to soft reset the game, but i,d have excepted another combo to go back to the home menu instead of having to get up every time...

Short of getting one of the third-party controllers that offers that ability, getting up to reset is the only way unfortunately.

Hasney

Get a fit bit and help it get a high score in steps!

Phatcorns

I received my UK unit and it's amazing, but there is no audio output from my monitor. I bought an HDMI to VGA adapter with audio, but the system doesn't recognize it!!! :(

I have to get sound on this thing...

I’m pretty certain vga doesn’t have audio?

Putting on True Lies for sure. Loved that game when I was a kid. As an adult I should finally be able to finish it. Also adding Indiana Jones' Greatest Adventures and Aladdin.

Awesome to see someone else mention that game. Rented it once back in the day and loved it.

One of the few good movie license games.

Thanks, will try again.

ParityBit

I just hooked this up to my monitor (UW Predator) and it looks pretty nice. I want to try it on my 4K TV later. I played some Punchout, Metroid and Mario Kart. Good stuff so far! I love the controllers (Compared to my NES Classic ones)

Currently I am charging my SNES30 and waiting for my receiver (Tomorrow I Hope!)

I am still unsure as to what game to really jump into first!

What video settings are you guys using?

lsslave

Jew Gamer
So what's everyone thinking of StarFox 2? Outside of a bit short I've already cleared it once and can definitely see it being infinitely replayable!

inner-G

Banned

Do you have a broom handle or younger sibling?

If not you’ll have to get up until the hack is released

No to mention that if it works like the NES Classic you can install retroarch cores, that plays pretty much everything I’ve tried on it

So what's everyone thinking of StarFox 2? Outside of a bit short I've already cleared it once and can definitely see it being infinitely replayable!

I like it, but I think I’ll like it more when the hack gets realeased and we can “overclock” the FX chip to give us a better frame rate.

How many games should this fit? I mean I only really need CT, but still.

Oh and Gradius III, but thats it.

Maybe ZAMN, DKC2/3, Act Raiser, FF4, Terranigma, Demon’s Crest, and maybe Sim City.

True Lies! Rented and loved that game. Also rented and loved Inspector Gadget. Definitely two possible "add" candidates.

TheMoon

Thanks guys.

Is there any ''recommended'' 3rd party controller? Or any wireless one would be good too

A Wii Classic Controller ...where you simply need to press the HOME button.

There's an OT for the game here. Please discuss Star Fox 2 over there.

Shifty1897

Same here.

The idea of a “lost” RPG in the style and quality of FFVI and CT leaves me really excited.

Imagine if this raises awareness to the point that Square becomes baffled by it, while hopefully considering a Remake or more games in that style.

If you haven't played it yet, the Octopath Traveler Demo feels like the natural evolution of the good ol' Square SNES days. It's really great.

TheMoon

Same here.

They haven't cared about any of the widely beloved Quintet RPGs enough to do anything with them. And with those, Terranigma has a huge cult following in Europe where it actually came out and has been ripe for a North American VC release since day one but Square gonna fucking Square.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I just saw that its 10 additional that fit within the GUI. The overflow would bug me so i’ll pick my 10 and be happy lol

Yeah I'm not planning to go nuts either. Only need a handful of additions to make it just about perfect for me.

Smellycat

Finally got mine from ThinkGeek! I can't wait to start playing. I am not sure which game to start with. I think Super Metroid. I just finished Samus Returns and I am in the mood for more.

Robin64

I just saw that its 10 additional that fit within the GUI. The overflow would bug me so i’ll pick my 10 and be happy lol

I'm almost sure you can fit more if you make the thumbnails slightly smaller.

Currently they are 40 x 28, so I'm going to resize them all to 30 x 21 and see if it squeezes them closer together for more room or not.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
No, it doesn't.

If theyre being this stingy with the game selection on SNES which has a massive library of classics missing then i cant imagine how vapid the N64 will be especially if they dont reach out to 3rd parties. (Rare, Konami, Capcom)

No Demons Crest, Sunset Riders, Magical Quest, Dream Land 3 or Gradius 3 is sad.

stingy? Considering that they price SNES games at roughly $8 a piece on digital platforms, buying all of these games separately would run you up $168 before tax. Not to mention the new hardware (2 controllers holy shit). The selection they gave us, while not the definitive collection to end all SNES collecitons, seems pretty generous in terms of variety and quality.

let's all be honest here, Nintendo could have charged $100 for this thing and people wouldn't have batted an eye. The fact that they went with $80 is such a sweet price point. Nintendo deserves a big pat on the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom