• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Mini Classic Thread | No preorder or shipping discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKINNER!

Banned
I just realised, technically PAL/Europe got 3 unreleased games on the SNES Classic if you consider that Super Mario RPG and Earthbound wasn't formally released here.

yeah I'm usually slow to the party

Well the NTSC patch for Terranigma makes it work fine, just without audio. At that point, I think we need to figure out how to do the "external PCM" thing Nintendo did for the games on here. There's a part in the footer where you specify where the external PCM begins, so we just need to get it there.

(Only Starfox and Yoshi's Island don't use the external PCM thing)

So digging around a bit, I'm seeing old fixes for copiers, specifically using uCon64.

http://ucon64.sourceforge.net/ucon64/SWC-compatibility.txt

Might be worth giving that a try. Nothing is listed for Terranigma which isn't surprising, but Illusion of Gaia has a fix listed for copiers (option -f) that might be worth a try if you're feeling up for it.

http://ucon64.sourceforge.net

hutna

Playing through the Quintet trilogy with my wife was one of the things I was looking forward to most when the thing is hacked. Hopefully folks figure out how to make them work.

callmesteam

Neo Member
I find Dream Course and Star Fox 2 to be the worst of the bunch. Just absolute garbage in my opinion, and I hate that they're taking up two spots. While I hate SF2, I get it being there since it was never released and that's kind of cool, but Dream Course has no place on this thing. It was shit when it came out, and it's shit now 😡

Dream Course is an all-time top ten game for me. One of the few SNES carts I've kept. Wish they would rework it for modern tastes.

I hope Illusion of Gaia will eventually work on this thing such an amazing and underrated game.

Also anyone tried getting Seiken Densetsu 3 working on it yet? With the english patch I mean.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Done for the night with tinkering, need to settle down.

Got Working
Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy IV, Harvest Moon, Pilotwings, Soul Blazer, Doom, Treasure of the Rudras, SimCity, Mega Man X2, Mega Man X3.

Couldn't Get Working
Uniracers, Terranigma, Illusion of Gaia.

Damnit. Next I'll be told Seiken Densetsu 3 cannot be played...:(

Just checking, Earthbound for NA and EU consoles are the same right? It's just using the NA ROM?

Yes. The EU SNESCE is just a different shell on the system, controller, and different UI HUD image. The roms and patches are the same as US.

Robin64

Honestly, we're still struggling. And the solution is external to hakchi, too, so even when that's out and released, if Terranigma and IoG aren't solved, hakchi won't be doing anything with them.

Oh, I know hakchi won't solve it, but right now, you have a small subset of people experimenting with loading roms. Once that part of it becomes easier, you'll get a large influx of new users, and the odds of someone solving the copy protection becomes far greater.

MrDaravon

My Wal-Mart pre-order actually arrived, I still am shook I managed to even get one of these ;___;

I'm probably going to wait and give it to myself as a Christmas present since I'm busy with other stuff now but probably won't be then, and it also works for me nostalgia-wise since that's when I got my original one. Hope everyone winds up being able to get one.

Robin64

So the Yoshi's Island glitch is indeed just an emulator issue, and not anti-seizure. Anti-seizure can be turned on with -f 0, and it does nothing to Yoshi's Island.

Additionally, uploading a brand new ROM of the game, with completely different IDs and the like (so if there's a patch going by ID, it won't use it), the effect still happens.

Oh, I know hakchi won't solve it, but right now, you have a small subset of people experimenting with loading roms. Once that part of it becomes easier, you'll get a large influx of new users, and the odds of someone solving the copy protection becomes far greater.

Good point!

Sir Doom

Street Fighter New Challenger voice suuuuuuxxx

I missed Blanka’s death sound and Guile; especially the old announcer 😕

maxcriden

So the Yoshi's Island glitch is indeed just an emulator issue, and not anti-seizure. Anti-seizure can be turned on with -f 0, and it does nothing to Yoshi's Island.

Additionally, uploading a brand new ROM of the game, with completely different IDs and the like (so if there's a patch going by ID, it won't use it), the effect still happens.

Wait so what is the YI glitch?

Good point!

Even being the staunch purist that I am, I actually can live with this emulation glitch. It's not so distracting as to bother me, and I think the only reason it bothers others is because it just wasn't there originally. It's so minor, that it could very well have been in the original version without anyone claiming it as a glitch. The rest of the game seems to run perfectly, and it definitely beats playing the GBA version on Wii U Virtual Console.

Fox Mulder

So we have no idea when they’ll be back in stores? I want one but it’s annoying to think they’ll probably show up in stores and be sold out by the time I even hear they were restocked.

I'm not hunting for shit these days. If I cant just walk in a store or open the Amazon app and buy, I'll live without it.

hertog

Finished castlevania 4 last weekend, great great game. Loved everything until the last stage, the bosses were quite broken.

Now onto FF3, I'm a big FF fan but never really played this one outside a few hours on an emulator.

modsbox

I'm not hunting for shit these days. If I cant just walk in a store or open the Amazon app and buy, I'll live without it.

On the one hand I completely agree with you. It's frustrating. Sadly though I think this is honestly the new reality we're going to have from this point on with any product in high-demand. You won't see SNES minis, Switches, new Playstations, heck even toys for the holidays on shelves if they are truly a hot item.

So long as scalpers can-- with no risk at all mind you because they can largely return these items without restocking fees if need be--purchase hot items and resell for profit on eBay, they are going to do so. And companies, while they are trying to react to expected demand, have a lot to lose by overproducing (see Wii U). The proliferation of tools like nowinstock don't exactly help either.

If Nintendo and other companies know that so long as the underproduce minimally they can sell through everything without any risk of holding inventory, they will continue to do that. And there's zero chance eBay will change their rules regarding the sale of super-popular items on their site, it's got to be a massive portion of the profit they make.

While I would blame Nintendo thoroughly for the NES mini debacle (way too few produced, way too low a price), with Switch and SNES mini they seem to be trying to produce as many as they reasonably can without assuming too much inventory risk. The problem is that there's too much easy money to be made by flipping them.

If you want to have one of these, I'd get in the game. Start using the tools everyone else is using and try to get one. You'll have your best chance to get one of these over the next month or so. After that it will become completely impossible as people go crazy trying to get them for Christmas presents.

Robin64

Illusion of Gaia has a fix listed for copiers (option -f) that might be worth a try if you're feeling up for it.

This ran on the file (nice big green "OK"), but I'm afraid the game does the same thing. Crashes after pressing Start on the title screen, and no audio.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Finished castlevania 4 last weekend, great great game. Loved everything until the last stage, the bosses were quite broken.

Slogra is like pulling teeth. His first form just requires agonizing slow precision movements and whips, but his second form actually has unblockable attacks and he has huge huge iframes. Ugh.

Death seems really hard and hits like a tank but there are some good patterns. You can block all the mini-sicles by holding your whip up and letting it go limp, facing the direction the sicles are coming from. You can't attack him during the mega sicle toss, so turtle in the bottom left corner while ducking. At the end of the second throw jump on the platform, toss a few boomerangs, then go to the middle of the screen and repeat.

So in Final Fantasy III, when Sabin joins you during the boss fight.

I get that people have trouble inputting the moves, but how do you KNOW that the blitz move is left, right, left? Does the game tell you at any point before the battle or during it?

I have this same damn problem every time I play this game.

inner-G

Banned

I get that people have trouble inputting the moves, but how do you KNOW that the blitz move is left, right, left? Does the game tell you at any point before the battle or during it?

unknown-2z1jun.jpg

You can check his move list for the inputs.

Edit: maybe I'm wrong, it might just be the manual.

Robin64

If you just keep fighting the guy, Sabin will tell you.

Fiendcode

Surprising to hear Mega Man X2 & X3 are working since they used a custom Capcom chip (Cx4) and previously NERD didn’t include any additional mapper support in the NES mini. I wonder if SDD-1 support (SFA2, Star Ocean) is in there too?

Surprising to hear Mega Man X2 & X3 are working since they used a custom Capcom chip (Cx4) and previously NERD didn’t include any additional mapper support in the NES mini. I wonder if SDD-1 support (SFA2, Star Ocean) is in there too?

Someone on the subreddit tried both of those and said they don't work.

Kyonashi

With the NES tool that allowed extra titles to be added, were most roms compatible or did it required specific coding for each?

I'd really like to add Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon: Another Story onto my SNES Mini when the tools are available but I know it's not one of the most desired titles.

Robin64

I actually just tried the 96Mbit version of Star Ocean, which is a patch where the graphics are decompressed and repointered. It was designed to work on SNES flash carts without the chip.

Sadly.. it doesn't work either. :(

Seik

Banned
Man, if Chrono Trigger was included, it would've been the absolute best collection games.

This and the lack of (at least) DKC2 are the biggest offenders, honestly.

But yeah, Chrono Trigger is first in line. The line-up is pretty close to perfect.

Dartastic

Man, if Chrono Trigger was included, it would've been the absolute best collection games.
It'd still be missing some super heavy hitters from the era like Turtles in Time, Actraiser, DKC2, Ultimate MK3, etc. There's a reason people want to hack this thing and put more games on it. It's a great selection, but it's far from the "best" collection of games.

Good point!

I figured it had to be emulator related

I'm sure it goes through for you. If not, there will be more shipments for the Japanese version no doubt.

Just a heads up if you don't know, Amazon.co.jp has an English mode. I can read Japanese but in those panicked moments where you're racing against a thousand geeks... I'd rather be in my native tongue.

You're really getting all 3 regions? And I thought I was going overboard getting NA+JP ;)

Heh, thanks for the heads up. I actually just learned that shortly before you mentioned it but well after I placed the order. At the time I was trying to use mobile Chrome to translate the page and Chrome isn't the default browser on my phone so I had to deal with copying and pasting links. My Japanese is good enough to navigate if I'm takinig my time, but it's a PITA when you're rushing.

Yep, going for all three. I'm nuts =) I only went for US and JP with the NES/Famicom but this time all three regions are different so I caved. Fingers crossed it ships; it still hasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom