• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Batman: TAS Vol. 2 is not nearly as good as Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willco

Hollywood Square
I just finished the volume after getting it last month.

Maybe I didn't remember from my childhood, but the series hits a drought of some mediocre episodes. It seems to pick up when Ra's Al Ghul is introduced, but - I swear! - Batman spends half the episodes fighting animal creatures (omg! werewolf! manbat! tiger mutant!).

Willco

Hollywood Square
Also, Batman is kind of a dick in the episode where Clayface is close to curing himself and becoming human again, and Batman turns off the machine in the middle of the treatment. What a dick!

Shinobi

Hey, that's Batman...he IS a dick. He's a bit of a dick to er, Dick in Robin's Reckoning as well.

I've only seen the first disc so far, and I think is as strong or stronger then anything in volume 1. Comparisons should make for an interesting discussion though.

Liono

I'm glad you think so-- I just made the decision to buy volume 1 over 2, which i'll end up getting anyway a little later. But from the reviews i've seen everyone seems to think that volume 2 is a selection of the best episodes from the series.

Willco

Hollywood Square
The first disc is not that great, Shinobi. I mean, you get Night of the Ninja, which in conjunction with Day of the Samurai, are two of the coolest episodes in the series and The Laughing Fish and The Cape and Cowl Conspiracy. All solid to great episodes. But Eternal Youth is a snooze fest and the two-part Robin episode is drawn out and boring at parts.

But I'd consider it a strong disc.

However, Disc 2 is just mediocre all the way through. I doubt I'd watch any of the episodes again. Disc 3 is not nearlyas bad, as it has the classic "Almost Got 'Im" episode and Day of the Samurai. Still, a fairly disappointing disc..

It's like the series hit a real slide midway through production of Season Two or something. I dunno if it's a lack of Dini or Timm or what, but Vol. 1 is much stronger because of the two lacklustre discs in Vol. 2 and I found that quite surprising.

Disc 4 has Ra's Al Ghul and SID THE SQUID (the man who killed Batman!), in addition to some other solid episodes. It's like they found their groove.

It's kind of weird to see the animation evolve over the two volumes and I almost prefer the more raw, dirty animation from Vol. 1 at times.

Mifune

Mehmber
Volume Two has "Perchance to Dream," which just might be my favorite episode ever.

Haven't bought the set yet, though.

Shinobi

Eh, each to his own. Perchance to Dream, Cape and Cowl Conspiracy, both parts of Robin's Reckoning and Night of the Ninja are all outstanding, which leaves two episodes that are merely decent. I honestly think it's the strongest disc I've seen so far, though the fourth disc in volume 1 is pretty damn good. As for the rest, I'll wait and see...I remember most of the episodes just from reading the titles, but I wanna see 'em again before making comparisons with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom