• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Dark Souls II [PC] is launching in less then a month and there's no footage of it.

I'm hoping L
ost
B
astille
(one of the early environments) is shown during said Quick Look of the PC version. I want to see whether or not FROM fixed this:

qirbwp.gif

This is not the only instance where they seemingly forgot about them having DBZ'd the moon for whatever reason. The difference in an end game area called D
rangleic
C
astle
is even more discernible, and I don't understand why this oversight slipped through from one retail build to the next after the recent patch. Couldn't have been a drastic measure to improve the framerate, because both locations were already perfectly stable on Xbox 360 (no clue about the PS3 version) prior to how it looks like today. It's not just my copy either; I've asked about this over at the Dark Souls II official thread and it has happened to others as well.

D
rangleic
C
astle
: before vs after. Do NOT click this if you're avoiding spoilers. Here's a screenshot of the missing lighting / skybox instead for those who are curious, a picture with hardly any distinguishable characteristics of the level itself.

Guess you'll be perfectly fine with the above then!

So the game is getting further downgraded even after it's release. That must be a new low in the industry.

HRose

Banned
So not only there was the downgrade. But now they are adding FURTHER downgrades via patches.

Whoever is the technical director at FROM should be sacked. It's just a chain of failures from DS PC release onward. It's just not believable that a game with that volume of sales can't get a decent engine.

I'm hoping L
ost
B
astille
(one of the early environments) is shown during said Quick Look of the PC version. I want to see whether or not FROM fixed this:

qirbwp.gif

This is not the only instance where they seemingly forgot about them having DBZ'd the moon for whatever reason. The difference in an end game area called D
rangleic
C
astle
is even more discernible, and I don't understand why this oversight slipped through from one retail build to the next after the recent patch. Couldn't have been a drastic measure to improve the framerate, because both locations were already perfectly stable on Xbox 360 (no clue about the PS3 version) prior to how it looks like today. It's not just my copy either; I've asked about this over at the Dark Souls II official thread and it has happened to others as well.

D
rangleic
C
astle
: before vs after. Do NOT click this if you're avoiding spoilers. Here's a screenshot of the missing lighting / skybox instead for those who are curious, a picture with hardly any distinguishable characteristics of the level itself.

Guess you'll be perfectly fine with the above then!

What is this madness. Looks like someone just used that little paintbucket tool in MS paint to fill the sky

soontroll

Banned
Wouldn't it be Bamco making the trailers?

I don't think that's relevant. My desire is to not have the PC audience continuously shafted. Whether it's FromSoft or Bamco that does this doesn't matter, though I should perhaps be more careful about who I'm blaming.

Gbraga

There is two blank videos on Steam that were added when they removed the older screenshots. Pretty sure those will be PC trailers.

I just noticed that. Maybe they'll be up tomorrow?

They did remove the bullshots, so they do care about showing only what can be expected now.

Gbraga

Actually this is a repeatable known glitch in Dark Souls 1. You can make the moon disappear in that game too. Kay observed it in her video and repeated it four or five times.

What, this is so awesome. They should let you destroy the moon with a lightning spear or something.

I don't think that's relevant. My desire is to not have the PC audience continuously shafted. Whether it's FromSoft or Bamco that does this doesn't matter, though I should perhaps be more careful about who I'm blaming.

A long quicklook of unedited footage isn't enough to satisfy you? They need to waste money putting out a PC specific trailer so you don't feel shafted?

I really don't get it. We will probably have an onslaught of previews tomorrow who cares about another trailer? If we get it then cool but I sure as hell won't be insulted if we don't.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Honestly, I'd say long form video from unbiased games journalists is much better than a glitzed out homespun game trailer.

Namco has incentive to show the game in only the best light. Journalists have incentive to show the product exactly for what it really is.

soontroll

Banned
A long quicklook of unedited footage isn't enough to satisfy you? They need to waste money putting out a PC specific trailer so you don't feel shafted?

I really don't get it. We will probably have an onslaught of previews tomorrow who cares about another trailer? If we get it then cool but I sure as hell won't be insulted if we don't.

No I don't feel shattered or insulted. It's just a video game. I just don't think it's fair treatment to what the console gamers got.

No I don't feel shattered or insulted. It's just a video game. I just don't think it's fair treatment to what the console gamers got.

We are seeing actual gameplay footage of the version we will buy weeks in advance. That's far more than the console gamers ever got.

soontroll

Banned
We are seeing actual gameplay footage of the version we will buy weeks in advance. That's far more than the console gamers ever got.

I'm pretty sure there were official trailers with retail graphics weeks before console release and early access builds as well.

Honestly, I'd say long form video from unbiased games journalists is much better than a glitzed out homespun game trailer.

Namco has incentive to show the game in only the best light. Journalists have incentive to show the product exactly for what it really is.

I suppose you're right. Maybe I just want any information at all and I'm just venting my frustration.

EvaristeG

Banned
I haven't played the game for a few days... did they actually downgraded the game even more through patching ? Or is it just footage from before the downgrade again ?

I haven't played the game for a few days... did they actually downgraded the game even more through patching ? Or is it just footage from before the downgrade again ?
I'm expecting it to be a 'simple' mistake by FROM when they pushed out the patch. I can't imagine them willingly removing the moon like that, with it not being a Dark Souls 1-esque bug.

nbthedude

Don't worry guys, the PS4 version will bring the moon back.

No, From and Scamco showed the Moon in the earlier version of the game and even kept it in for the launch then went and bait and switched everyone and yanked it out after the game was released. There was video footage of the moon in the game days ago.

One completely different set of publisher and developer release one definitive edition and all of a sudden every game that doesn't look as good as it did during development warrants a conspiracy theory.

nbthedude

One completely different set of publisher and developer release one definitive edition and all of a sudden every game that doesn't look as good as it did during development warrants a conspiracy theory.

Naught Dog, more like Shoddy Dog. Fuckers released Last of Us shit framerate version just to sells us PS4 version.

Grief.exe

Naught Dog, more like Shoddy Dog. Fuckers released Last of Us shit framerate version just to sells us PS4 version.

...PS4 was far from released when Last of Us came out.

Hats off to Sony for giving PS3 the legs it deserves rather than holding projects solely to sell PS4 consoles.

...PS4 was far from released when Last of Us came out.

Hats off to Sony for giving PS3 the legs it deserves rather than holding projects solely to sell PS4 consoles.

QFT, how many GOTY contending critically acclaimed games came out that late during the cycle of any other system. I can only really think of Twilight Princess, which was mainly on Gamecube because that's where it started development.

legacyzero

Banned
Related video:

How we were lied to about Dark Souls 2

It's a 12 minute video that pretty much sums up most of the observations we've been doing for weeks already. Around minute 4:40 the comparisons between the beta and retail are (literally) like night and day.
I was a guest on Fungo's video podcast a week ago where we spoke about this. Its all about expectations, and setting them properly. I just don't see where From did that at all. He gave the game a great review, but mainly because the game supposedly plays great.

But graphically, its just a mess.

You really think...that was the business plan there?

I'm not even a big fan of that game (ok not a fan at all honestly) and that still comes across as ludicrous.

Trey

QFT, how many GOTY contending critically acclaimed games came out that late during the cycle of any other system. I can only really think of Twilight Princess, which was mainly on Gamecube because that's where it started development.

God of War and Shadow of the Colossus have been referred to as swan song games.

Eusis

LOL. I fully accept the fact that I'm probably wrong, but that GIF is too good.
Better SSAO is probably the best you can hope for really. But that might well be enough to make it a lot closer to what it originally was for some people anyway. I tend to find the effect too subtle to care about for the potential performance hit though.

Top Bottom