• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Dark Souls II [PC] is launching in less then a month and there's no footage of it.

scitek

Related (some mild spoilers ahead):

How we were lied to about Dark Souls 2

It's a 12 minute video that pretty much sums up most of the observations we've been doing for weeks already. Around minute 4:40 the comparisons between the beta and retail are (literally) like night and day.

I admittedly haven't paid much attention to this whole thing because I had no intention of getting the game until later on, but holy shit those differences are massive.

Eusis

Related (some mild spoilers ahead):

How we were lied to about Dark Souls 2

It's a 12 minute video that pretty much sums up most of the observations we've been doing for weeks already. Around minute 4:40 the comparisons between the beta and retail are (literally) like night and day.
I'll need to go over that with my headphones in later, but I really do question how much of that is lying and how much is just... changing things in development. I'm thinking less the straight graphical downgrades and more geometry being changed and stuff, that happens with basically every game that gets shown to the public more than like two or three months in advance, and it's not worth being indignant over that. I never got the Zelda 64 they showed, but given how the recreated Zelda Town turned out in terms of size and travel time that may've been for the best anyway. If anything it's probably less extreme more often now, older previews for games decades ago would show stages we never saw in the final game and stuff like that.

UnrealEck

Listening to Giantbomb's podcast, seems the game is essentially the console version with some better textures, specular highlights and ambient occlusion. That image of the game's graphics settings might actually be real.
Oh and apparently it performs really well and the load times are very very short. Like 2 seconds short.

big_z

Listening to Giantbomb's podcast, seems the game is essentially the console version with some better textures, specular highlights and ambient occlusion. That image of the game's graphics settings might actually be real.
Oh and apparently it performs really well and the load times are very very short. Like 2 seconds short.

I think the textures might be the same but look better thanks to higher AF.

its disappointing but not surprising. it sucks if you waited for pc expecting a better version but at least you get shorter loads and locked frame rate.

GiantBombcast Info:
This is a preview build retail build will follow.
Totaly Competent PC version
Maxed out with no drops on an older PC
Better shaders, textures etc.
The leaked option screens seem legit
Loading times on PC 2-4 secs on a standard HDD. SSD probably faster.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I think the textures might be the same but look better thanks to higher AF.

its disappointing but not surprising. it sucks if you waited for pc expecting a better version but at least you get shorter loads and locked frame rate.

Hence it is a better version.

-MD-

Doesn't look like it's gonna have the full reveal lighting/visuals but they (Giant Bomb) mentioned they grabbed 2 different torches and 1 was casting shadows everywhere while the other one was flat.

I assume that the lighting on the torch they mentioned was improved over the console version seeing as they spent 2 minutes talking about it.

Dunno, either way they said anyone waiting for the PC version made the right decision multiple times.

Persona7

Banned
GiantBombcast Info:

Nice, I can't wait to fire it up.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
GiantBombcast Info:

7aY7VH2.gif

big_z

Doesn't look like it's gonna have the full reveal lighting/visuals but they (Giant Bomb) mentioned they grabbed 2 different torches and 1 was casting light everywhere while the other one was flat.

I assume that the lighting on the torch they mentioned was improved over the console version seeing as they spent 2 minutes talking about it.

Dunno, either way they said anyone waiting for the PC version made the right decision multiple times.

no they didn't. brad quickly mentioned if you haven't played it, get it on pc. makes sense considering you get performance improvements. both seemed slightly bummed that it doesn't have any of the extra effects from the early builds but were pleased that its a competent port.

Timu

GiantBombcast Info:
I'm so glad I waited for this version.

Seanspeed

Banned
It would have been worth it just for 1080p/60fps, but yea, its nice to have a few bonus improvements as well.

Any word on being able to run it above 1080p? I imagine I could probably get this to 1440p/60fps pretty easily.

It would have been worth it just for 1080p/60fps, but yea, its nice to have a few bonus improvements as well.

Any word on being able to run it above 1080p? I imagine I could probably get this to 1440p/60fps pretty easily.
He said he didn't play on a monitor that goes higher than 1080p so he doesn't know.

UnrealEck

no they didn't. brad quickly mentioned if you haven't played it, get it on pc. makes sense considering you get performance improvements. both seemed slightly bummed that it doesn't have any of the extra effects from the early builds but were pleased that its a competent port.

"if you promised yourself to wait for the PC version, you made the right decision."

Exact quote.

"It is the version to play..."

Another quote.

I was just going to play this on PC anyway, but kudos to FROM for making making a good PC version. Shame we're probably not gonna get the original lighting and visuals, but I wasn't exactly getting my hopes up for it.

Well I was going to double dip eventually, still have not beaten the game on PS3. Playing in 1080p and 60 fps will be worth it to me. Btw does anyone have a GMG discount code or something?

Durante

But the version is much better. Better resolution, much better framerate, better textures (now confirmed), most likely better AO and better shadow resolution. (Also likely better temporal resolution on distant character/enemy animations, better loading times as you mention, and a few unspecified effect improvements)

Out of the box, that would be a much larger improvement over the console version than DS1 PC was with full DSfix (at least if the resolution isn't limited to 1080p for some reason, but I don't think it will be). DSfix "only" improved the resolution, framerate, AO and DoF quality, and later some texture resolution with texture mods. Here we get all that out of the box - presumably without any issues with high framerates - and texture and shadow improvements on top of it.

But the version is much better. Better resolution, much better framerate, better textures (now confirmed), most likely better AO and better shadow resolution. (Also likely better temporal resolution on distant character/enemy animations, better loading times as you mention, and a few unspecified effect improvements)

Out of the box, that would be a much larger improvement over the console version than DS1 PC was with full DSfix (at least if the resolution isn't limited to 1080p for some reason, but I don't think it will be). DSfix "only" improved the resolution, framerate, AO and DoF quality, and later some texture resolution with texture mods. Here we get all that out of the box - presumably without any issues with high framerates - and texture and shadow improvements on top of it.

1080p/60FPS Dark Souls 2 is already the best improvement possible. Now better textures/AO/DoF and shaders is even better.

If 120fps is supported, and doesn't mess up the physics, running, and falling speed, DS2 wins.

It will probably be worse for screenshots though. 4k is just not enough.

Eusis

Hence it is a better version.
Yeah, so long as you had your expectations in check relative to most multiplatform releases you should be getting exactly what you wanted: higher resolution and framerate, and thus superior. You don't typically get some sort of special upgraded edition, at best it's crossgen so you'll have a PS4/XB1 type experience rather than PS3/360 that would be more significantly compromised than usual, just look at those Thief pictures.

Did they mention whether the framerate is completely unlocked? (i.e. with a Vsync on/off option that allows dips to be in singular increments, instead of the previous 30 to 15 FPS drops in Blighttown.)

Or is the keyframe animation still hardcoded to certain framerates again? (from 60 to 30 this time around, perhaps lol.)

lokeloski

Thanks for the link, assuming it will work with American cards and steam accounts.

Nuuvem is legit and accepts payment via Paypal. They actually just sell the Steam code for most of the games there (Dark Souls included).
Just make sure that Dark Souls II will work where you live, because it's region locked and all.

Edit: just saw the warning "REGION LOCKED: Esse jogo não poderá ser jogado no Japão".
This means the game doesn't work in Japan. Even so, I don't know if it will work outside Latin America, since Steam itself is more specific.

I assume the GMG code works for Australian users, right? I'm not paying $70 bucks for a pre-order, the GMG deal plus the discount code is so much cheaper.

If it's just locked in Japan, that's good, at least... Though that does kinda suck for Japanese players.

I assume the GMG code works for Australian users, right? I'm not paying $70 bucks for a pre-order, the GMG deal plus the discount code is so much cheaper.

If it's just locked in Japan, that's good, at least... Though that does kinda suck for Japanese players.

I used a code ages ago and it worked fine. Then I saw a forum thread on GMG where someone was asking the same thing and one of the GMG staff said it will work perfectly fine for Australian users.

AmyS

And Gamersyde's capture for true 60fps since that isn't possible with Youtube:

http://www.gamersyde.com/download_dark_souls_ii_tgs_trailer-30829_en.html

I haven't even scratched the surface of Demon's Souls or the first Dark Souls which I just recently picked up for PS3.

Will wait to see video of the final PC DSII but it's already pretty certain not to be much more than a 60fps/1080p port with some improved shaders. Still, that would tide me over until Deep Down, which in turn will tide me over until whatever From does for next gen.

Durante

Did they mention whether the framerate is completely unlocked? (i.e. with a Vsync on/off option that allows dips to be in singular increments, instead of the previous 30 to 15 FPS drops in Blighttown.)
I don't think they mentioned it, but the framerate on 360 is already completely variable, so I have no concerns regarding that.

Eusis

I don't think they mentioned it, but the framerate on 360 is already completely variable, so I have no concerns regarding that.
Yeah, the worst is a 60 FPS max, which will be disappointing for people who have 120 hz monitors and those who'd like to have one some day, but is no where near as bad as a 30 FPS lock.

greenfish

Banned

Must be so hard for giantbomb to answer this question: "Was this version also severly downgraded from what we've seen on the E3".

YES

or

NO

Why didn't they answer that!?

I do not care about 1080p or 60fps, I expect that. And so should everyone else, 1080p/60fps is and should always be a standard on pc.

soontroll

Banned
Must be so hard for giantbomb to answer this question: "Was this version also severly downgraded from what we've seen on the E3".

YES

or

NO

I do not care about 1080p or 60fps, I expect that. And so should everyone else, 1080p/60fps is and should always be a standard on pc.

I think it's pretty obvious that it has been downgraded. Also, you need to realise that a lot of people don't care about that. They just want a 1080p port with some tweakable graphics options.

greenfish

Banned
I think it's pretty obvious that it has been downgraded. Also, you need to realise that a lot of people don't care about that. They just want a 1080p port with some tweakable graphics options.

Errr what? Look at neogaf/twitter+various other sources, it was an outcry what they showed us in retail vs E3. I'm fine with that.

But steam is STILL using pictures from the E3 build. As a customer I expect a moral standard, not a lie. The pictures up on steam shows a different game. Why isn't giantbombing confirming if steam store webpage is a fraud or not?

Yes, you read right, a fraud. I hope someday they will stop with this madness of promoting fake pictures. I already paid for the game, if giantbomb would confirm it's looks NOTHING like the pictures on steam, I can cancell my order.

Otherwise I have to do a creditchargeback on release date.

Seanspeed

Banned

YES

or

NO

We know the answer to this already, though.

AlienKebab

Neo Member
I will still blindly believe and keep lying to myself till release, that there might be a .ini file with an option for enabling the lighting system from the e3 builds, or that someone finds a way to enable it.

Errr what? Look at neogaf/twitter+various other sources, it was an outcry what they showed us in retail vs E3. I'm fine with that.

But steam is STILL using pictures from the E3 build. As a customer I expect a moral standard, not a lie. The pictures up on steam shows a different game. Why isn't giantbombing confirming if steam store webpage is a fraud or not?

Yes, you read right, a fraud. I hope someday they will stop with this madness of promoting fake pictures. I already paid for the game, if giantbomb would confirm it's looks NOTHING like the pictures on steam, I can cancell my order.

The screenshots on Steam look like they're from the current build. Only the first trailer looks like it's using the other lightning, and I bet you can find a ton of games which use bullshots on their store pages. The other two trailers are pre-rendered. Do you expect the game to look like that?

If you do a chargeback on Steam, your account will be banned. I'd advise against doing that.

soontroll

Banned

They recently removed the screenshots from the reveal footage/vertical slice. They should never have been there in the first place but sadly I don't think there's anything you can do about it now.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Disappointing. It's a bit sad we'll never see the original version of some areas now, like Aldia's keep. That looked leagues better in the early footage.

The improvement in performance and shorter loads were expected. What we were hoping for, wasn't meant to be apparently.

I've got my new gaming rig (basically upgraded for this game alone), so I still can't wait to double-dip and experience a smoother version, but I expected more.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is this reliable?

CJS isn't an authorised seller if that's what you're asking. The problem with buying from key resellers such as CJS is that proof of purchase resides on their end and so there's nothing preventing them from raising duplicate key tickets with Valve and screwing you over.

erawsd

YES

or

NO

Its just hard for you to listen. They very directly say that it doesn't look like those screen shots but it looks/runs a lot better than the console game.

p3n

But it is not the "lighting system" that is missing from the retail build on consoles. The technical side of the game is massively improved compared to it's predecessor (AO, light rays, shadow precision and draw distance, specular reflection of light sources on your armor...).

The changes and "downgrades" most people whine about are changes in level design. Some levels/parts of the world don't use everything the engine seems to support. No new "lighting engine" or high res textures will ever salvage
the forest areas like the Shaded Woods
as they are just poorly designed compared to other areas in the game.

Compare
Shaded Woods
to the stairways that lead to the next area from the
Doors of Pharros
. Especially the latter with the
flaming weapon
spell (that creates a somewhat brighter lit area around your character) looks at least on par if not better than the gameplay reveal footage.

Don't get me wrong - I would love to see the amount of props and clutter increased to the level of the reveal footage but I wouldn't count on any changes to the actual level design for the PC version - including the placement and usage of (dynamic) lights.

Top Bottom