• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Dark Souls II [PC] is launching in less then a month and there's no footage of it.

Facism

I have no problem with it as long as they patch the PC version.

I could see them do a next gen version with an expansion like Artorias of the Abyss, plus a "Prepare to Gamma" edition re-release with dem bells and whistles for the pc.

Vitor711

£32 :/ Cheaper to get in retail stores. Why, GMG, why.

Still. If DS2 has as much content as DS1, it'll still be worth near full price.

I got it for 20gbp not too long ago. Will check to see from where and message you if the offer is still available. It may have been cdkeys or somewhere that's morally grey on gaf but genuinely can't remember.

It's a little bit offtopic, but this whole saga (for me at least) has driven the final nail in the coffin of pre-release media, gameplay footage, screenshots and preview coverage. I mean, it's not like the industry ever handled that aspect of it with a lot of sincerity, but it's never been quite this horrifically bad.

Is it a stream? If so, do they archive it? I won't be around so won't be able to watch until later.

They archive it, no worries.

Grief.exe

Where are you guys finding this information?

EDIT: I see it.

EDIT2: shows 12 PM for me too, but the whole site looks to be in Eastern time, so that would still be 9 AM Pacific.

Garcia

Some other literal quotes from the podcast (21:00 onwards):

I haven't tried it on a screen that goes above 1080. Even on my slightly older machine at home I maxed everything out and it hasn't dropped a single frame from 60.

It looks all right, the textures look better, resolution is better, framerate is better. It's still a game that is also made for PS3 and 360. You can see that reflected in the level design. This looks like a really competent port of a game for old consoles. The models and stuff like that still just look not great.

They've added a few thing like SSAO, shader stuff. There's an option for improving rendering characters. You'll see more highlights like metal looks shiny and shader stuff like that.

Man, this could look fantastic if it had some better lighting in there. It just doesn't look like you're suddenly playing DX11 Dark Souls.

There is a big debate over the dynamic lighting. Was it taken out? While we were playing it we lit like 2 light sources: One of them had dynamic shadows casting off it and the other totally did not, which was really strange: You have a torch in the wall, the shadows casting and we went "this looks awesome" but then we lit another torch and it's just flat... Just nothing happenning. It's really strange.

LogicStep

I wonder if the lighting stuff is still in there, just not enabled. Wonder if there will be a way to unlock it and use it or maybe mod it in if it isn't there. Can we expect that from the community?

Bedlam

It's exactly the same as in the console version then with some light-sources casting dynamic shadows and others not. Too bad.

And well, it's Brad. He apparently didn't notice that stuff in the console version and instead instantly ridiculed the people who complained about these things. I don't think I will take his word as final confirmation on anything.

I'd be happy if you could at least ini tweak the amount of dynamic light sources
That's a level-design thing. So most likely not.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I wonder if the lighting stuff is still in there, just not enabled. Wonder if there will be a way to unlock it and use it or maybe mod it in if it isn't there. Can we expect that from the community?

I'd be happy if you could at least ini tweak the amount of dynamic light sources

Nuveem keys would be region free, besides Japan right? GMG isn't taking vouchers for DSII anymore.

This game doesn't have weird region locking bullshit, does it? If anyone from North America buys the game from Nuveem, please let me/us know if it goes into your Steam account effortlessly please.

Its almost like

At some point during development Bamco smacked em and said focus on the Console release.

Because Money, Time Tables, Install Base etc...

PC may have been lead platform and they had time to make 2 excellent demos. Its like the original vision was partially scrapped to make a quick and dirty sequel (visually)

I dunno... Very bizarre as the rest of the game elements seem mostly intact or at least competent.

Dark Souls 2 development seems to suffer from its split focus. Do we make a Next gen or Current Gen game?

It does seem like they got their money from the Console Versions since there is plenty of quality gameplay to be had there. Its just a shame they weren't committed to the original forward looking vision

This Cross-Gen curse has affected quite a few titles in some form. Assassins Creed, Watch Dogs, GTAV, etc...

Gawd i hope the near 10 million install of Current Gen consoles finally snaps these devs out of the Trance of last generation. Its has GONE ON way too long

Gbraga

I don't even care anymore about the downgrades, I just want it to look as good as the first one. If it looks worse, it'll be pretty weird.

I don't even care anymore about the downgrades, I just want it to look as good as the first one. If it looks worse, it'll be pretty weird.

Well you should be happy then

I find DS2 totally comparable to its predecessors if not better. Just not everywhere all the time much like the original.

Gbraga

Well you should be happy then

I find DS2 totally comparable to its predecessors if not better. Just not everywhere all the time much like the original.

I hope so :)

Dark Souls with DSfix looks incredible, I'm impressed every single time I play it.

Femto.

...Gawd i hope the near 10 million install of Current Gen consoles finally snaps these devs out of the Trance of last generation. Its has GONE ON way too long

Unfortunately I don't think that will happen until fall of 2015 or later. Publishers will always try to maximize profits, and if it means cross gen tittles then you can bet your bottom dollar that they will push for that.

Those GB impressions, pretty safe to say this is just the Xbox 360 version with standard engine enhancements, SSAO, AA, Textures.

At least it will be better than Dark Souls 1 PC port.

Its just a shame that no one will ever be able to play that first reveal, even if it was just that one section, I wish someone would just leak it.

Nillansan

GMG isn't taking vouchers for DSII anymore.

Did GMG announce that they won't be doing any discount vouchers during the pre-purchase period? The PC Collectors Edition was gifted to me, but I don't want to open it, I was hoping that GMG would supply a 25% discount voucher.

mattp

Its almost like

At some point during development Bamco smacked em and said focus on the Console release.

Because Money, Time Tables, Install Base etc...

PC may have been lead platform and they had time to make 2 excellent demos. Its like the original vision was partially scrapped to make a quick and dirty sequel (visually)

I dunno... Very bizarre as the rest of the game elements seem mostly intact or at least competent.

Dark Souls 2 development seems to suffer from its split focus. Do we make a Next gen or Current Gen game?

It does seem like they got their money from the Console Versions since there is plenty of quality gameplay to be had there. Its just a shame they weren't committed to the original forward looking vision

This Cross-Gen curse has affected quite a few titles in some form. Assassins Creed, Watch Dogs, GTAV, etc...

Gawd i hope the near 10 million install of Current Gen consoles finally snaps these devs out of the Trance of last generation. Its has GONE ON way too long

so its pretty much what any rational person expected.
dark souls 2 in 1080p with a steady framerate(if your gpu can handle it) and some extra nice stuff like ssao and improved shaders here and there

...can't wait for the shit storm this afternoon when everyone realizes they're not getting the lighting model from the old trailers lol

Nuveem keys would be region free, besides Japan right? GMG isn't taking vouchers for DSII anymore.

This game doesn't have weird region locking bullshit, does it? If anyone from North America buys the game from Nuveem, please let me/us know if it goes into your Steam account effortlessly please.

I tried the voucher they sent me like an hour ago and it applied fine. I didn't actually order the game yet though. Says code works till April 11th

As expected, it's the PC version of a console game, with obvious graphical benefits.

We were never going to get that initial version of the game just for the PC.

soontroll

Banned
That mansion with the dragon skeleton and hallway with the torture devices was so beautiful and atmospheric. So disappointing that the final version is so barebones ;_;

I can't wait for last gen to just die off.

Garcia

Those GB impressions, pretty safe to say this is just the Xbox 360 version with standard engine enhancements, SSAO, AA, Textures.

The game will look like the console versions with some shiny stuff added here and there.

However, the performance of the PC version makes it the definitive edition. Short loading times (2 to 4 secs) and stable framerate on slightly older machines are 2 big reasons why this is (and I agree with them) the version to play.

At least it will be better than Dark Souls 1 PC port.

I honestly have a feeling that there's a lot more to the port that they aren't really noticing. As much as I love GB they generally aren't the sharpest group of eyes when it comes to technical PC stuff.

That mansion with the dragon skeleton and hallway with the torture devices was so beautiful and atmospheric. So disappointing that the final version is so barebones ;_;

I can't wait for last gen to just die off.

Seriously

I blame the last gen curse the most

These Devs are having a really hard time letting go of that easy money.

Garcia

Surely everyone has figured that out by now...

Some people still remain on a complete media blackout so it wouldn't be surprising if we keep getting some outrage from time to time, especially when there's at least 2 comparison videos out there that show the overwhelming differences between the beta and retail builds.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
While I never expected the PC version to look like the original demo (fake vertical slice, etc), I would be really surprised if the last layer of environmental shadows from the PS3 beta that did exist in the real game, are not somewhere in the PC build.

Those were clearly clicked off for performance; some of the shadows even turn back on during cut scenes, then off again from the gameplay camera perspective. It's that kind of thing I wonder about being enabled by screwing with the game ini files. (If it's there but turned off on PC. To create an illusion of parity.)

Shinjica

Seriously

I blame the last gen curse the most

These Devs are having a really hard time letting go of that easy money.

No, is FROM to blame, not last gen.

It was not me who say "PC will be our lead platform" and then discover that is only some improvement

Top Bottom