• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Dark Souls II [PC] is launching in less then a month and there's no footage of it.

Lmao

What an extreme reaction.

The game is fantastic
58FSmlM.png

Got ya!

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm gonna be really annoyed if they later on release next-gen versions with all the visual goodies of the original version intact.

What if the game always looked like shit?
What if they fooled us with
pre-rendered
lightning.

I think we all need to accept that the April Reveal footage was never a full game

And I remain dubious of the TGS demo as well.

Either way something very strange happened during the development of this game. Almost like several separate teams worked in seclusion and then mashed the final product together.

Who the hell knows. Wish we had more inside sources to comment on it but whatever.

Still delivered the goods despite its flaws. I just hope they have more time and better management for the next title.

big_z

http://i.imgur.com/pV7Zgqu.jpg[IMG]

Wait no more nice effects like we saw in screenshots? So exactly the same effects of console? Like the mirror knight still looking like shit?[/QUOTE]

its the console version with better AF, higher resolution and better frame rate. so if you thought the game looks shit on console then it'll look like crisper, smoother shit on pc.

[quote="DrROBschiz, post: 107385302"]I think we all need to accept that the April Reveal footage was never a full game

And I remain dubious of the TGS demo as well.

Either way something very strange happened during the development of this game. Almost like several separate teams worked in seclusion and then mashed the final product together.

Who the hell knows. Wish we had more inside sources to comment on it but whatever.

Still delivered the goods despite its flaws. I just hope they have more time and better management for the next title.[/QUOTE]

my guess is that the downgrade was from both performance issues and them having trouble figuring out how to balance the torch mechanic with the gameplay. the april prototype was very dark and having to hold a torch(which is on a timer) when trying to fight really fucks things up. sure you could add more sconces but then you have larger performance issues.

UnrealEck

I'm gonna be really annoyed if they later on release next-gen versions with all the visual goodies of the original version intact.

What if they release a patch on PC that introduces the same improvements?

I think we all need to accept that the April Reveal footage was never a full game.

Obviously it wasn't the full game since it was still in development and wasn't finished.

Nethaniah

Mixed feelings to be honest, great that it's atleast is a step up from the previous game with 60fps / 1080p and some decent settings, shame about the lighting and what about 60+ fps? Resolutions above 1080p? I'm either gaming on 120Hz or at a resolution higher than 1080p so i hope it can atleast support that.

Some Surround / Eyefinity support would be great too but who am i kidding.

Obviously it wasn't the full game since it was still in development and wasn't finished.

I mean its been brought up before

There is a little debate about whether the entire game was developed to hit that target and was downgraded after. On the other end some of us feel the Demo footage was separate and never achieved for the entire game

It is a damn huge game and even the first game has examples of "rushed areas" developed that never fully hit the mark displayed early in the game.

It seems like they have a habit of setting themselves up for failure by over creating. I think its awesome that they have so many ideas but they might benefit from more focus.

This might be a common trait for artist driven games

UnrealEck

Why would they make PC gamers wait however long it takes to make a PS4/XBone port? Obviously it would be better than no upgrade at all but it's not something I see happening.

Why would they release the graphically superior version on PS4/XBone in the first place?

There is a little debate about whether the entire game was developed to hit that target and was downgraded after. On the other end some of us feel the Demo footage was separate and never achieved for the entire game
We already know it was never achieved for the entire game. The entire game looks different from the initial demos. Those demos you're referring to were of an unfinished build of the game.

Seanspeed

Banned
You really think that would happen? C'mon now.

I don't think it would just be a patch job, either. If anything, they would re-release the game like Dark Souls II: Enhanced Edition or some shit.

Durante

I'm with JaseC on this, I think it's extremely unlikely that they have the entire game sitting somewhere at significantly higher asset fidelity.

They made a vertical slice and when it came to making a whole game figured out they couldn't hit that level of quality throughout, with all systems integrated, on consoles. It happens.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm with JaseC on this, I think it's extremely unlikely that they have the entire game sitting somewhere at significantly higher asset fidelity.

They made a vertical slice and when it came to making a whole game figured out they couldn't hit that level of quality throughout, with all systems integrated, on consoles. It happens.
Maybe not the entire game, but they could continue to work on it and leave behind the limitations of the past-gen consoles and rework the game for next-gen consoles with all the intended visual goodies. Its guaranteed sales.

UnrealEck

You really think that would happen? C'mon now.

I don't think it would just be a patch job, either. If anything, they would re-release the game like Dark Souls II: Enhanced Edition or some shit.

I think that if they released the game with graphical improvements on PS4 and Xbone there would be an uproar about it if they didn't release a patch for the PC.
It would easily be patchable. Why wouldn't it be? The only reason I can think of that would make it less likely to be a patch is that it's a game made by the technically incompetent FROM Software.

I don't think they will but I went along with the assumption that it was going to happen for the sake of my reply.

Same with my reply. What I mean by this is that hypothetically, they would be shitting on us with the release of those versions in the first place.

Maybe not the entire game, but they could continue to work on it and leave behind the limitations of the past-gen consoles and rework the game for next-gen consoles with all the intended visual goodies. Its guaranteed sales.

I would love to see a version of Dark Souls 2 of that level exist.

I really hope they do it. In fact I would love to have an upgrade of both games released as a collection for PS4.

A man can dream

Agauos

Neo Member
I personally don't mind if the graphics/lighting got downgraded, I'm just happy to be playing the game on PC. I can't wait.

Anybody think my MacBook Pro 15" w/ Retina (base 2013 model) would be able to run this better than a PS3?

I'd really love to give this a shot on PS3.

Garcia

I don't think that's even possible. They are now going to focus on periodically patching 3 versions of the same game, server maintenance and other things. Do you honestly think they will be working on a whole new game which will be essentially the same but only with improved assets?

I think everyone should already drop that thought now that we all know how they handled this situation and the outcome of the PC version.

Seanspeed

Banned
I think that if they released the game with graphical improvements on PS4 and Xbone there would be an uproar about it if they didn't release a patch for the PC.
It would easily be patchable. Why wouldn't it be? The only reason I can think of that would make it less likely to be a patch is that it's a game made by the technically incompetent FROM Software.
Because it looks like a different game. Completely different lighting system, which will have gameplay implications. How often do you see massive, game-changing 'patches'? Much less from a developer without heavy PC development history/experience...

I don't think that's even possible. They are now going to focus on periodically patching 3 versions of the same game, server maintenance and other things. Do you honestly think they will be working on a whole new game which will be essentially the same but only with improved assets?

I think everyone should already drop that thought now that we all know how they handled this situation and the outcome of the PC version.
I don't see what's so outlandish about it. They don't need the entire studio working on server maintenance. Next-gen versions would potentially(almost assuredly) mean more $$$.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Great news on performance. Was worried my older gpu would struggle to hit 60fps. Gonna feel like a whole new game now.

takoyaki

Anybody think my MacBook Pro 15" w/ Retina (base 2013 model) would be able to run this better than a PS3?

I'd really love to give this a shot on PS3.

Probably, if the game isn't optimized horribly. But judging from some comments about the latest Bombcast, the game seems to run pretty well on older machines.

I could play the Witcher 2 on my 2012 MBPr in 1080p with everything set to high and it ran really well. Your MBPr 2013 has a great graphics card (750M) that can handle a modern game. Having said that, I couldn't wait for the PC version and the PS3 version was perfectly fine.

Probably, if the game isn't optimized horribly. But judging from some comments about the latest Bombcast, the game seems to run pretty well on older machines.

I could play the Witcher 2 on my 2012 MBPr in 1080p with everything set to high and it ran really well. Your MBPr 2013 has a great graphics card (750M) that can handle a modern game. Having said that, I couldn't wait for the PC version and the PS3 version was perfectly fine.

Sadly, I didn't go with the machine that has the dedicated graphics card.. I've been scouring the internet looking for benchmarks with the integrated graphics, and haven't found anything. Thanks for the reply though!

takoyaki

Sadly, I didn't go with the machine that has the dedicated graphics card.. I've been scouring the internet looking for benchmarks with the integrated graphics, and haven't found anything. Thanks for the reply though!

Sorry, my bad. I thought all 15" model had the 2nd GPU. But I think the Iris Pro 5200 is not a bad option when it comes to Intel GPUs. I just did a quick google search and found a German site that mentions the Iris Pro 5200 being 20-30% slower for games than the 650M from the MBPr 2012. If this is true, then you still should be able to run DS2 pretty well.

Feeling relieved after listening to Bombcast. As long as they don't screw it up by making ' better' next-gen versions, I'll be pretty satisfied.

Garcia

I admittedly haven't paid much attention to this whole thing because I had no intention of getting the game until later on, but holy shit those differences are massive.

Indeed they are. The worst offender being the missing lighting and, as a consequence, the washed out look of many areas in the game.

Ah, balls. I didn't realize I didn't have "Send me emails with priority news on all the great deals, vouchers and new releases!" checked in my GMG account settings, I was wondering why I never got deals like this one.

Indeed they are. The worst offender being the missing lighting and, as a consequence, the washed out look of many areas in the game.

That is the biggest shame

The April footage was so damn pretty.... you just want so badly for games to have that level of quality throughout.

I hope we see the standards go up but damn man. With all the complaints from AAA devs about the costs required it almost seems unattainable

-MD-

Ah, balls. I didn't realize I didn't have "Send me emails with priority news on all the great deals, vouchers and new releases!" checked in my GMG account settings, I was wondering why I never got deals like this one.

I actually just checked and I didn't have that checkmarked either, I still got a code though.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I personally don't mind if the graphics/lighting got downgraded, I'm just happy to be playing the game on PC. I can't wait.

Downgrade happens with tons of games all the time but the problem with this game and From was the false advertising and clear misleading as From and Namco kept marketing the game as it was going to be like the original demo (I mean ffs they just removed the bullshots from steam) or the early version with better lighting. with other games you'll see the downgrades months before the release but not in this case and this is the difference between this game situation and other games and why people are upset about the downgrade.

Top Bottom