• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, how quiet is *your* ps5/xsx?

How loud are your next-gen console's fans, really?

• My breath is louder

Votes: 144 59.0%
  • I can barely, BARELY hear the fans

Votes: 82 33.6%
  • It is noticeable, but not annoying

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • It's almost as loud as the ps4 pro

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • *insert man blown by jet engines gif*

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters

Spidey Fan

Banned
As quiet as quiet place.
John Krasinski GIF by A Quiet Place Part II

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
My PS5 is silent.

I could always head the disc drive running every 10 minutes, but that stopped after an update 3 months ago.

My PS5 is insanely loud when installing games from disc, but when playing it's extremely quiet, so it doesn't bother me. A slight whirring at av very constant speed. The frequency can be a little annoying if the room is quiet but the sound gets drowned as soon as you start playing, even at a low volume so.. Yeah, very happy.

I'm amazed the fans don't even go up one bit in the most demanding of games.

420bits

Yeah, i was actually a little annoyed they didn’t make it possible to turn that off in system settings. But then again, It’s supposedly an indicator of hardware functionality and it is a pretty nice nostalgic and consistent touch with the systems.

25% of the current beep-volumewould be amazing!

HAd to send in my first PS5 because the disc drive sounded like a buzz saw. They just replaced the whole unit with a new one and now it's fine. Only hear it when a disc first spins up or is installing from a disc, but it's much quieter now.

I can definitely hear my xsx, because it's louder than my idle pc which doesn't make a sound.
As soon as I turn my audio up a bit I can't hear it anymore though.

Valt7786

Series X is dead silent, PS5 you can hear the fan when there's no game sound during a load screen or something but it's NOWHERE near the levels of the PS4 pro. It's a dull hum at best.

Duchess

I have the Disc PS5 and besides the hourly short disk drive spin (which SONY already toned down with one of the last patches)I don´t hear it. There is no noise. Nothing.
Same. I'm hoping they'll tone it down a bit more in future. When there's no disc in the system and I'm playing a digital game, I can't hear sod all..!

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Totally silent. Can't hear it. I stress-tested it with the TLOU 2 detailed models, and couldn't hear a peep. I also don't have coil-whine, so it is completely silent.

P.S. I have a standard edition, but don't play with physical disks at all. So the disk tray is always empty and was empty during my tests.

On Xbox Series X. If I’m installing a game by disc that makes noise a bit, pretty much the same as the Xbone. I can also hear my external HDD that houses most of my X1 games churning a bit sometimes too. The console itself is absolutely silent otherwise.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
PS5 has a little bit of noise. It can only really be heard when a game gets to a scene that doesn't have any music or sound playing. XSX is completely silent. I haven't heard anything out of it. I have to put my head next to it to hear the fans. Overall I am happy with both.

Last edited:

WoodyStare

Does the disc always make noise in the PS5? I remember Sony talking about addressing this issue when they were taking the console apart and it seemed like a decent solution.

XsX owner. Dead silent at all times. Sometimes I actually forget I have an Xbox because it’s hidden away and can’t be heard. The only time I do notice it is when I walk past then vented area and the heat nearly rips the flesh from my bones but other than that, a masterpiece of hardware design.

Kudos to MS, slowly becoming the hardware king.

Neff

I've only recently started to hear the fan in my PS5 due to the summer heatwave coming into effect, but up until then it was more or less silent, and it's still incredibly quiet despite me sweating my bollocks off. There's veeeerrry faint coil whine, which I've only noticed when playing Demon's Souls, and only then in the Nexus. PS5 is holding up very well noise-wise.

Ps5 is louder than my XSS but that’s due the the disc drive and maybe some of that coil whine that peeps talk about but I’m not sure. My external drives are the most noise I hear actually.

The quiet speediness of both systems has been fantastic!!

Last edited:
XsX owner. Dead silent at all times. Sometimes I actually forget I have an Xbox because it’s hidden away and can’t be heard. The only time I do notice it is when I walk past then vented area and the heat nearly rips the flesh from my bones but other than that, a masterpiece of hardware design.

Kudos to MS, slowly becoming the hardware king.
I was surprised the other day when I felt the exhaust fumes from as I walked past, it was "toasty"

I suppose that heat is better out than in as they say. since moving hot air out the way is what fans are supposed to do

It's still quiet though, which is nice.

Rippa

Poll missing the:

“I don’t know how loud it is because I play with headphones” option.

Since the birth of my son, who sleeps in the room next door, I strictly only play my PS5 at night after work and only with headphones. I really don’t know how loud it is.

B D Joe

My ps5 is louder than my pro in most cases although never gets hair dryer loud like the ps4. Basically sounds like car is idling outside or a fridge freezer motor. Not quiet in the slightest and if amazon had stock I would have replaced it to see if I could get a quiet one.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
PS5: Noticeable coil whine, but nothing that bothers me when playing. Barely audible fan. Neither can be heard over the game except in very quiet scenes. HUGE improvement over the PS4 and Pro, but not completely inaudible.

As always, everyone saying theirs are completely silent need to get their hearing checked. I'm not saying other units aren't more quiet than mine, but nothing with a spinning fan can ever be COMPLETELY SILENT. You might not hear it, but it is making some noise.

Last edited:

saintjules

PS5 is mainly quiet, especially after the update to make the discs spin quieter.

XSX has virtually been quiet. Can only hear noise from both if I'm putting my ear to them.

Edokataki

Banned
When there is no disk inside, it's completely silent but when I put a disk for one minute it's making heavy-duty machine sounds. It's ok until everyone is sleeping and you want to play and the disk spins and you bite your teeth and hope no one comes from the bedroom to kill you.

Nezzeroth

PS5 owner. Never notice any noise other than the disk spinning (which was quite annoying at first but Sony patched it).

Very happy with the console so far. Probably my favorite PS since PS2.

Never really hear a peep from the PS5.

Actually has started to do something strange since the last update tho, Every now and again it'll make a beep noise and the optical drive will click :pie_thinking:

420bits

When there is no disk inside, it's completely silent but when I put a disk for one minute it's making heavy-duty machine sounds. It's ok until everyone is sleeping and you want to play and the disk spins and you bite your teeth and hope no one comes from the bedroom to kill you.
I trade the luxury of owning my games for the digital world because of this reason. Fuck noisy drives!
Can't even remember the last game i bought on disc.. Late ps3-era for sure.

user1337

PS5 digital owner (day 1). It is very quite, quiter than my surrounding ambient noise so I can never hear anything. Even though we are now in summer I have yet to hear the fan.

I did open up the side to try out the cleaning ports built into the hardware, plus also to see if any dust had accumulated, but I guess its still very early in in life as I found no real dust accumulation. Just the thinnest of layers on the vents that direct air into the fan, which was super easy to wipe off.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Does the disc always make noise in the PS5? I remember Sony talking about addressing this issue when they were taking the console apart and it seemed like a decent solution.

Yeah, whatever vibration dampening they were showing there doesn't work at all. The disc drive is about as loud as on a PS4.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
XSX and PS5.

Both as silent as each other, other than can hear the drive spin up occasionally but this is quietened down significantly since launch.

Top Bottom