• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I finally got an Xbox 1 and I need some recommendations for games and stuff

Hi GAF.
As you can probably tell by the thread title I need some recommendations for my "new" (used and mod chip'd and media center'd) Xbox 1.
Since it's equipped with a mod chip I'd like to know what I can do with it outside of playing games and watching movies.

I already have these games:
Halo
Need for Speed Underground 2
Tony Hawk's Underground 2
Buffy The Vampire Slayer
Midnight Club 2
FIFA '08
Fable
Another one I don't remember right now and I don't think is even good but who cares.

What I DON'T need is Ninja Gaiden Black and Psychonauts. I already own theseas Xbox Originals on my 360.
What I DO want is Conker Live & Reloaded and Grabbed by the Ghoulies, because I'm a Rare whore.

So GAF, what do I need and what can I do with my "new" original Xbox?
Thanks a lot in advance :)

Otogi 1&2 are two really cool Xbox exclusives from From Software (Souls series). Great action adventure games with fully destructible environments. You are literally ripping buildings apart sometimes in your fight against various Japanese themed monsters.

Bukana

Kung+Fu+Chaos.png

Burai

shitonmychest57
OutRun 2006 Coast 2 Coast
SSX Tricky
Burnout
Burnout 2
Rallisport Challenge 2
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Jet Set Radio Future

Understand, understand... Understand, understand... Understand, understand... The power of loveeeeee!!!!

and the other great games SEGA brought on Xbox

Slygmous

Rallisport Challenge 2 is the best racing game of the past two generations IMO.

Sudeki
Baldurs Gate DA series
KOTOR...?

Escape from Butcher Bay
Steam.
Understand, understand... Understand, understand... Understand, understand... The power of loveeeeee!!!!

and the other great games SEGA brought on Xbox
Which game would that be?

Splinter Cell series
Metal Gear Solid 2
Chronicles of Riddick
Already got these for PC, Steam and/or PS2 and PS3.

Sudeki
Baldurs Gate DA series
KOTOR...?
KOTOR I already got on Steam, but yeah, the Dark Alliance games are pretty good from what I remember. Added to my To Buy list!

Shenmue II
Okay, yeah, that makes sense, as well as Jet Set/Grind Radio Future and the Crazy Taxi series.

Thanks for all the recommendations so far.
I'm sorry that I can't list all the games I already got on Steam or on other consoles as that would be way too much work on my part.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Xbox 1 really shines when you treat it like a Dreamcast part 2.

-Jet Set Radio Future (got into this in the last month!)
-Panzer Dragoon Orta
-Gunvalkyrie

(Shenmue II and Crazy Taxi 3 if you're really into that that legacy)

And so much love to the Team Ninja games:

-Dead or Alive 3
-Dead or Alive Ultimate
-Dead or Alive: Extreme Beach Volleyball
-Ninja Gaiden Black

^ Some of them look amazing in HD in 2013.

Oh, and Soul Calibur II is 720p!

BocoDragon

Was there ever a way to transfer digital music files to the Xbox to allow custom soundtracks without literally ripping CDs? I'm gonna mod my Xbox soon, so mod methods are fine.

BAW

Banned
I have very fond memories of the XBOX 1. I have said it before in similar threads in the past but try out BloodWake, it didn't get good reviews but I enjoyed it immensely.

Also get Splinter Cell Double Agent, it is a totally different campaign and much better than the 360 version.

Also, Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast. It is a crime not to have it. Has lots of longevity as well.

Also good choice you made on Grabbed by the Ghoulies, fantastic game, 100%'ed it and I'm not even a Rare fan.

BocoDragon

Also, Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast. It is a crime not to have it. Has lots of longevity as well.

Why did I not just put this in my post?.... I just "got" Outrun in a huge way over the last month. I think if you realize that it's a "driving game" and not a "racing game" you can see why it still very much has something to offer to a gamer in the modern day.

dwu8991

Banned
Get Street Fighter 25th Anniversary - includes

SF2 Hyper

Street Fighter III

Street Fighter Alpha "The Movie"

Also good choice you made on Grabbed by the Ghoulies, fantastic game, 100%'ed it and I'm not even a Rare fan.

I downloaded parts of the soundtrack on Rare's website back when they were awesome.
It's basically the soundtrack that makes me want to play that game, no matter how bad it was received by the media and the loudest of people.

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath.

Although, if you have a PS3, just get the HD version.

Got the whole Oddbox on Steam even.

Get Street Fighter 25th Anniversary - includes

SF2 Hyper

Street Fighter III

Street Fighter Alpha "The Movie"

Wasn't the anniversary box for Xbox 360/PS3?

EDIT: Also how good are the Def Jam fighting games?

starmud

I'm surprised at the Gunvalkyrie love. I enjoyed it, but assumed most hated it.

I loved all the "bad" party games. Whacked namely. If only the Ooga Booga port happened...

Also, No Blinx recommendations? ;)

BocoDragon

This seems like as good of a thread as any to mention that many Sega games have issues on later Xbox 1s.

Early Sega games will not output in 480p on later Xbox 1s (circa 2003 and 2004). This means Jet Set Radio Future, Gunvalkyrie and Panzer Dragoon Orta.

I guess Microsoft changed the video encoder at some point, and early Sega games were hard-coded for the original.

Just last month, I had a great clear Crystal Xbox I had to trade in for a near-launch model at a retro shop, because 480p is kinda important in making these older games pop on an HDTV....

rjcc

Sudeki
Baldurs Gate DA series
KOTOR...?

No doubt about it re: Rallisport 2. It's unfortunate there's no XBL because you're missing an incredibly robust online system for its day, but it's still fun to play.

Voodoo Vince

Panzer Dragoon Orta

Otogi 1 and 2

Chronicles of Riddick

Phantom Dust

Rallisport Challenge 1 and 2

Apex

Blinx 1 and 2

Breakdown

Hunter The Reckoning and Redemption

Moto GP Series

Transworld Snowboarding

Wreckless Yakuza Missions

This seems like as good of a thread as any to mention that many Sega games have issues on later Xbox 1s.

Early Sega games will not output in 480p on later Xbox 1s (circa 2003 and 2004). This means Jet Set Radio Future, Gunvalkyrie and Panzer Dragoon Orta.

I guess Microsoft changed the video encoder at some point, and early Sega games were hard-coded for the original.

Just last month, I had a great clear Crystal Xbox I had to trade in for a near-launch model at a retro shop, because 480p is kinda important in making these older games pop on an HDTV....

I guess I can pretty much forget 480p output as I live in PAL land. Don't know though if Microsoft removed 480p output entirely or if I can tickle it out by using some technical magic mumbo jumbo.
But it's not that important to me anyway. I grew up with horrible video signals. I can live with them. Even on my HDTV or projector.

BocoDragon

I guess I can pretty much forget 480p output as I live in PAL land. Don't know though if Microsoft removed 480p output entirely or if I can tickle it out by using some technical magic mumbo jumbo.

Always sorry for PAL land and its many complications :(

To think that it was a superior TV tech, but just caused all these problems because of American/Japanese game machines...

Slygmous

I forgot about Microsoft's PAL dumbfuckery, I had to mod my AUS Xbox to display 720p. I think there are some old softmod methods to get around it too, if I remember right.

Top Bottom