• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I finally got an Xbox 1 and I need some recommendations for games and stuff

hitoshi

1205230602-00.jpg

Oddworld_-_Stranger's_Wrath_Coverart.png

saunderez

I guess I can pretty much forget 480p output as I live in PAL land. Don't know though if Microsoft removed 480p output entirely or if I can tickle it out by using some technical magic mumbo jumbo.
But it's not that important to me anyway. I grew up with horrible video signals. I can live with them. Even on my HDTV or projector.
You can always do what I did and convert your console to NTSC. If you do that you can enable 720p/1080i when using component. This involves modding your console (I used a soft mod back in the day so didn't even have to open the console). As a bonus you get region free which will help with games hard to find in PAL. I'm sure everything is still out there on the net if you want to go that way.

http://pics.mobygames.com/images/covers/large/1205230602-00.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f2/Oddworld_-_Stranger's_Wrath_Coverart.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
As I said before I already own these games on Steam, so I have no need to double dip.

[quote="saunderez, post: 45974340"]You can always do what I did and convert your console to NTSC. If you do that you can enable 720p/1080i when using component. This involves modding your console (I used a soft mod back in the day so didn't even have to open the console). As a bonus you get region free which will help with games hard to find in PAL. I'm sure everything is still out there on the net if you want to go that way.[/QUOTE]

If I'm lucky all that may even be already possible. As I wrote in the OP my console has a mod chip already on board, so at least region free gaming won't be much of a problem.
Since I haven't had time yet to test the console, HD gameplay may be even possible for me already. Would be pretty awesome :)

saunderez

If I'm lucky all that may even be already possible. As I wrote in the OP my console has a mod chip already on board, so at least region free gaming won't be much of a problem.
Since I haven't had time yet to test the console, HD gameplay may be even possible for me already. Would be pretty awesome :)
If it's already modded and hasn't been converted what I believe you need is the Enigma Videomode Switcher. It's been a while but I think you just run that, flip to NTSC, the load up the dash and the advanced display options should be available.

DocSeuss

I'd like to acquire an OG Xbox. The last one I bought smelled like cigarette smoke, and due to various health reasons, that's a big no-can-do.

Grabbed by the Ghoulies is fun.

Anyone know if Stubbs the Zombie is any good?

Also, The Concept of Love (not POWER, but CONCEPT) is the theme song for Jet Set Radio Futuree.

SSX 3 is really good.

Nickiepoo

Just dropping in to mirror the Panzer Dragoon Orta posts, this is pretty much the only reason I'd ever buy an Xbox1 since it doesn't work on the PAL 360 BC past the third level.

Milchjon

RALLISPORT CHALLENGE 2

I've never missed a game so much. My old Xbox broke down some years ago, and it's one of the few non-BC games. :-(

Also, Kung Fu Chaos is a lot of fun, especially in Multiplayer.

And if you haven't played Shenmue II, you just have to.

And if you haven't played Shenmue II, you just have to.

I really don't know about the Shenmue series...
I'm curious to play the games but...well, from what I've seen (which is largely the fourty or so minutes Egoraptor and JonTron played on Game Grumps) it doesn't seem that interesting to me.
Granted, Jon and Arin play like poopy heads on a stick but I can look beyond that.
The dialogue seemed pretty boring and the story didn't seem that interesting to me.
I MIGHT try it out though.
The first game was on Dreamcast only right?

Zeal

Banned
This thread reminded me of two things. How bad we need a new Otogi, and how amazing the original Buffy game for Xbox was. The Collective rocked.

Milchjon

I really don't know about the Shenmue series...
I'm curious to play the games but...well, from what I've seen (which is largely the fourty or so minutes Egoraptor and JonTron played on Game Grumps) it doesn't seem that interesting to me.
Granted, Jon and Arin play like poopy heads on a stick but I can look beyond that.
The dialogue seemed pretty boring and the story didn't seem that interesting to me.
I MIGHT try it out though.
The first game was on Dreamcast only right?

Well, it's a hate it or love it game, it seems. I love it for the exploration of fully fleshed out cities and villages. No game I've ever played comes close to the attention to detail of this game. The weather, the NPCs, the shops, the arcade games, everything. And it's been what, 10-12 years? At this point I'm not sure we'll ever see anything like that again.

But be warned, it's a bit slow most of the time (although to a lesser degree than Shenmue I).

Shenmue I is DC only, but Shenmue II on Xbox comes with a "Movie" DVD that recaps Shenmue.

Links 2004 - best ever golf game
RalliSport Challenge 2 - best ever rally game

Also, I recommend soft-modding your console and switching it to NTSC mode so you can use a component cable to get 720p output.

Kevin

Dreamfall but only if you don't have a half decent pc. Otherwise get the pc version along with The Longest Journey.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
K8YsUl.jpg

one of the best games on the xbox, other than ninja gaiden black, that you can't get anywhere else.

i'd also recommend otogi, gunvalkyrie and steel battalion if you can find/afford it.

definitive list of must have titles, in no particular order.

panzer dragoon orta
james bond: everything or nothing
chronicles of riddick
XIII
phantum dust
burnout 3: takedown
punisher
psi ops
shenmue 2 (if you can find it)
silent hill 2; inner fears
timesplitters: future perfect
splinter cell: chaos theory
star wars jedi night 2: jedi outcast
star wars: jedi academy
star wars republic commando (brilliant game)
rallisport challenge 2
soul caliber 2
breakdown
the suffering 1 and 2
the thing
legacy of kain: defiance
raze's hell
ninja gaiden black
scrapland (so very underrated and unloved. great game)
outrun coast to coast
otogi 1 and 2 (must plays, if you're in the uk, I can loan you my copies if you have trouble finding them)
crimson skies
dead or alive ultimate
buffy the vampire slayer : chaos bleeds
gunvalkyrie
black
dreamfall
call of cthulhu: dark corners of the earth
cold fear (a very good re4 clone with some really unique mechanics. it's got jank, but it can be overlooked)
darkwatch (very underrated shooter)
morrowind game of the year edition (don't get vanilla, it's broken)
far cry instincts
project zero
mercenaries
full spectrum warrior
midtown madness 3
jade empire
knights of the old republic 1 and 2
jet set radio future
fahrenheit
metal arms: gits
metal gear solid 2: substance (had some serious frame rate issues if memory serves)
project snowblind
metal slug 3 / 4

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few, but these are all must have.

1) Hunter The Reckoning
2) Hunter The Reckoning: Redeemer
3) Panzer Dragoon Orta
4) KOTOR
5) Manhunt

I cant stress how awesome the hunter games are. Pick them up.

MarkusRJR

I recently found a brand new Xbox (still sealed shut) and I've bought Halo 1/2, Forza, Half Life 2. I'm loving it apart from a high pitches noise that comes from when the machine is on. Imagine those iOS apps that play those super crazy pitches to piss off kids/teens. It buzzes even when it's turned off. So annoying. Is this a common thing?

I recently found a brand new Xbox (still sealed shut) and I've bought Halo 1/2, Forza, Half Life 2. I'm loving it apart from a high pitches noise that comes from when the machine is on. Imagine those iOS apps that play those super crazy pitches to piss off kids/teens. It buzzes even when it's turned off. So annoying. Is this a common thing?

I don't remember my xboz buzzing. it could be a issue with the fan. in fact, I'm pretty sure the xbox was deathly silent for the most part, even after hours of use.

it's been years since I last played mine though, so maybe I've forgotten about how loud it is / any buzzing sounds it makes.

I also got a Xbox 1 some years ago but I only got Halo 1. I have played all the multiplatform games worth playing on PS2 and GC but exclusives interest me too

How I regret not getting all the games when they were like 5 bucks a pop (literally all of the ones worth playing) at my local used books store

I also got a Xbox 1 some years ago but I only got Halo 1. I have played all the multiplatform games worth playing on PS2 and GC but exclusives interest me too

the following are some of the best exclusives available on the console.

panzer dragoon orta
chronicles of riddick
phantum dust
rallisport challenge 2
breakdown
ninja gaiden black
outrun coast to coast
otogi 1 and 2 (must plays, if you're in the uk, I can loan you my copies if you have trouble finding them)
crimson skies
gunvalkyrie
far cry instincts
midtown madness 3
jade empire
jet set radio future
mech assault 1 and lone wolf
stubbs the zombie

buy those.

-PXG-

Everything has already been mentioned...but..allow me stress this...

JET

SET

RADIO

FUTURE

Buy it. Motherfucker, I said buy it!

TwiztidElf

Project Gotham Racing 1 and 2.
This thread got this far without them?

Good to see Panzer Dragoon Orta represent though.

MarkusRJR

I don't remember my xboz buzzing. it could be a issue with the fan. in fact, I'm pretty sure the xbox was deathly silent for the most part, even after hours of use.

it's been years since I last played mine though, so maybe I've forgotten about how loud it is / any buzzing sounds it makes.
I just plugged it in again due to this thread and got a headache in the time since my last post. It's the loudest high pitch noise I've heard in forever. I kinda want to get it repaired but I doubt MS would fix OG Xboxes.

I just plugged it in again due to this thread and got a headache in the time since my last post. It's the loudest high pitch noise I've heard in forever. I kinda want to get it repaired but I doubt MS would fix OG Xboxes.

I'll check mine over the weekend to see if it is an issue, but I don't remember a loud buzzing.

have you checked the fan? is it working? should be at the back if I recall correctly.

and yeah, I doubt microsoft would be willing to repair it if it is faulty. you could always ask their cs though.

CPS2

I have some PAL xbox1 games i'd love to get rid of, haven't had an xbox plugged in for years...

project zero
genma onimusha
dead or alive ultimate
burnout revenge
metal slug 4
lord of the rings return of the king
capcom classics collection vol 1
gta vice city
dead or alive extreme beach volleyball
guilty gear x2 reload
burnout 3 takedown
metal gear solid 2
panzer dragoon orta
ninja gaiden
mortal kombat shaolin monks
dead or alive 3

the following are some of the best exclusives available on the console.

panzer dragoon orta
chronicles of riddick
phantum dust
rallisport challenge 2
breakdown
ninja gaiden black
outrun coast to coast
crimson skies
gunvalkyrie
far cry instincts
midtown madness 3
jade empire
jet set radio future
mech assault 1 and lone wolf
stubbs the zombie

buy those.

Thanks for that very nice list. I'll add Shenmue 2 to that too as I don't own a Dreamcast either. Scrapland is the only one that doesn't ring any bells, American McGee seems to have produced it, interesting

Thanks for that very nice list. I'll add Shenmue 2 to that too as I don't own a Dreamcast either. Scrapland is the only one that doesn't ring any bells, American McGee seems to have produced it, interesting

no worries. if you're in the uk, let me know if you need help finding a copy of scrapland or any titles and I'll be happy to loan them to you.

This may be a stupid question, but are there any good Xbox 1 emulators out? I know it can render quite good resolutions itself, but running some of the titles in 1080p with AA would be nice.

Top Bottom