• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I'm Thinking of Trying out Veganism

Status
Not open for further replies.

woolley

So meat is probably my favorite food and eat chicken almost daily. So I'm thinking of taking a break from it more so for to see if I see any improvements in health and nothing to do with animals. I'm not obese or anything but I feel like this could be the best way for me to get to where I want to be and maybe I'll see improvements in areas that I didn't think I would.

So does anyone have any experience with cutting meats and dairy out of your life and what are some of people's favorite kind of vegan dishes? Any good advice or information on the subject is more then welcome.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
There is no compelling evidence for health benefits unless you're just eating junk from fast food joints, but at that point, just about any kind of dietary intervention will be an improvement. In fact, you'd be more likely to find the contrary (detrimental health effects) if you are on a good diet with plenty of animal products and go Vegan.

There's no reason to fear animal products and every reason to want to consume them when it comes to health and longevity. Only do Veganism if it's the ethical/environmental issues that bother you.

Krowley

There is no compelling evidence for health benefits unless you're just eating junk from fast food joints, but at that point, just about any kind of dietary intervention will be an improvement. In fact, you'd be more likely to find the contrary (detrimental health effects) if you are on a good diet with plenty of animal products and go Vegan.

There's no reason to fear animal products and every reason to want to consume them when it comes to health and longevity. Only do Veganism if it's the ethical/environmental issues that bother you.

This.

Almost all the recent evidence supports the idea that animal products are actually quite healthy. Human beings are evolutionarily omnivorous.

Dairy products may be iffy for you, but I don't see why meat would be causing you any health problems. Try out keto and you'll be cutting a lot of the crap out of your diet (particularly junky fast food). Plus, once you become fully fat adapted, you'll likely feel amazing.

Or, instead of going full on veganism you could just incorporate a day or two in the week where you, you know, don't eat chicken but eat vegan. Get some diversity in there. And I'm saying this as a vegetarian. I don't know why people think you have to go all the way.

That is, if you just want to get some more diversity in your diet and/or eat more healthy. If you have ethical or environmental concerns, go ahead. (Even then, I see people try vegetarianism but they don't know anything about vegetarian cooking but somehow want to quit cold-turkey (hah!) and are back to eating meat every day after a month.)

As an old time vegan for philosophical reason I got to tell you that just being vegan does not improved your health, first you need to know what your body needs and from that make a list of food that can benefit you.

If you want to try to eat vegan and be healthy you also need to learn how to cook, because eating in vegan places is hard because there are not many vegan friendly places, some are really expensive, and some can be pretty unhealthy.

If you can go vegan from the start then good, but if you are having problems doing it I recommend starting with breakfast for some weeks then moving to lunch and finally to dinner.

Food that will really benefit you are mushrooms, broccoli, most type of beans and lentils, peppers, cauliflower.

You can also use complementary food for your dishes like chia, amaranth, pecans, almonds, flaxseed.

Try to avoid overly processed vegan food, specially the so called "substitute food".

If you have any question feel free to ask.

woolley

Or, instead of going full on veganism you could just incorporate a day or two in the week where you, you know, don't eat chicken but eat vegan. Get some diversity in there. And I'm saying this as a vegetarian. I don't know why people think you have to go all the way.

That is, if you just want to get some more diversity in your diet and/or eat more healthy. If you have ethical or environmental concerns, go ahead.

I do think of that as a good option but I'm also a man of extremes so I thought I would just fully commit.

Arc07

Youve made a good start by telling everyone first
40s4Cat.gif

10/10

GabDX

Banned
I've heard our intestine has a similar length as those of herbivores, while carnivores have a much shorter intestine. That would be a compelling argument for veganism but I've read from other sources that our intestine is in fact not that long. Who should I believe?

I'm on a wheat-free vegan diet, but I've never intentionally eaten meat so I don't really have much in ways of advice as to how to switch over.

Start by typing vegan into google maps to find some restaurants and get some inspiration as to what to eat that way.

Try it. I went vegan for a month, and while I don't think there are any real health benefits, it's fun from a cooking perspective, as it forces you to try all sorts of new foods you probably haven't ever thought about trying before.

DJ_Lae

Chana masala is probably my favourite vegan dish to make.

I don't eat more than one or two vegan meals a week, and maybe one or two more vegetarian ones. I also continue to consume meat, but I like a bit of variety once in a while and sometimes restricting yourself can make for an interesting recipe experiment (sometimes it can also be awful as it's a lot harder to get flavour without animal fat).

Also it's made me realize if I ever went vegan it's not meat I would miss - it's cheese and eggs.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I've heard our intestine has a similar length as those of herbivores, while carnivores have a much shorter intestine. That would be a compelling argument for veganism but I've read from other sources that our intestine is in fact not that long. Who should I believe?

Why would that one particular thing matter? We are humans, not some random herbivore creature.

I can find any number of similarities that we may share with insects, for example, but that does not make us insects.

I've been a vegetarian/vegan for 9 years. I don't recommend giving up meat cold turkey (ugh). I found it easier to phase out meat products one at a time over a month or two. Likewise, I stopped eating meat the first few months, and then began to cut dairy.

When I first became vegan, I did lean on fake meats and cheeses a lot to ease myself through the transition, but these may not be what you're looking for if you want to get super healthy. Either way, these guys make the best chicken substitutes I've ever had:

Their beef products are hit or miss. Daiya makes pretty good cheese, but only after it's heated and added to something:

Anyway, if you eat a lot of meat now, you've probably missed out on a lot of great vegetables or vegetable recipes. You're going to want to try out new vegetable dishes like you're visiting a foreign country. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

When going out to eat, chinese, japanese, and indian restaurants are your friend.

xbgamer

Banned
Being a full on vegan isn't a good thing.

All things in moderation.

Eating meat every day is really bad for you, but getting rid of meat is bad too. I read a study saying vegans had a vitamin d deficiency, bone density deficiency, and an iron and zinc deficiency. This can lead to serious issues, like osteoporosis.

I talked to a doctor about this about a year and a half ago when I was having digestion problems; he told me that I should stop eating meat every day, instead eat chicken or fish 2-3 times a week and red 1-2 times a month at most. The doctor also suggested adding juicing to my regiment, since you absorb more nutrients from veggies when you drink them.

Hheeehehhehhe

People who eat meat sparingly are healthier than people who don't eat it at all

He says without any information to back it up.

Eating meat every day is really bad for you, but getting rid of meat is bad too. I read a study saying vegans had a vitamin d deficiency, bone density deficiency, and an iron and zinc deficiency. This can lead to serious issues, like osteoporosis.

I talked to a doctor about this about a year and a half ago when I was having digestion problems; he told me that I should stop eating meat every day, instead eat chicken or fish 2-3 times a week and red 1-2 times a month at most. The doctor also suggested adding juicing to my regiment, since you absorb more nutrients from veggies when you drink them.

Got a link or know where this study is?

I think its silly. Eggs are one of the best sources of protein you can get. If you opt for humanely raised (grass fed/natural diet) beef and chicken you're getting good protein, and high quality fats. Cutting out meat is not the silver bullet to "eating healthy." All you're really doing is just arbitrarily depriving yourself of tasty and nutritious food options.

Just ease into. Just like any other diet it takes time to adjust. Likewise it isn't really unanimously healthy, but then no diet really is, it's just as healthy as you're willing to make to it.

Also, I wouldn't have made this thread, it'll be full of bacon love within the hour as apparently people can't tolerate even hearing the word "vegan".

GabDX

Banned
Why would that one particular thing matter? We are humans, not some random herbivore creature.

I can find any number of similarities that we may share with insects, for example, but that does not make us insects.

Anything related to digestion that we have in common with herbivore but not with carnivore is a sign that we are mostly herbivore.

The length of the digestive system is far from the only thing.

No real evidence to support health benefits, really.

Well it didn't take very long for the FUD to start:

"In general, vegetarians typically enjoy a lower risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD), obesity, type 2 diabetes, and some cancers (3). A vegan diet appears to be useful for increasing the intake of protective nutrients and phytochemicals and for minimizing the intake of dietary factors implicated in several chronic diseases"

http://m.ajcn.nutrition.org/content/89/5/1627S.full

As for B12, Vitamin D, and Zinc: a fortified cereal, soy/almond milk, and nutritional yeast will cover any deficiencies that could arise.

To argue that there no health benefits is a flat out lie. I could not possibly care less what people eat. I'm a meat eater myself, but the weird responses in this thread are annoying.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Better start practising saying "sorry I can't eat that".

If you just want to be healthier, eat better meats and less often. There are a lot of really good nutrients in meats. Switch to things like Chicken Breast and lean pork and fish (unbreaded).

Also, it's hard to just straight up switch to veganism. I'd try out vegetarian first.

On a side note - would any of the vegans enlighten me on something I've wondered for a long time? Is veganism generally more or less expensive than a standard healthy diet? I've never really heard one way or another... all the food looks so expensive, but meat can be expensive too so idk.

wikipedian_protester.png

Hheeehehhehhe

People who eat meat sparingly are healthier than people who don't eat it at all

Back up your information first.

Anyway op, Harvard Medical School has a health publication and they often talk about the pros and cons of veganism/vegetarianism, here are some good publications if you want to know more:

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/Harvard_Womens_Health_Watch/2009/October/becoming-a-vegetarian

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/Harvard_Womens_Health_Watch/2014/May/is-a-vegetarian-or-vegan-diet-for-you?utm_source=womens&utm_medium=pressrelease&utm_campaign=womens0514

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/move-over-mediterranean-a-vegetarian-diet-is-equally-good-for-health-201306056352

If you just want to be healthier, eat better meats and less often. There are a lot of really good nutrients in meats. Switch to things like Chicken Breast and lean pork and fish (unbreaded).

Also, it's hard to just straight up switch to veganism. I'd try out vegetarian first.

On a side note - would any of the vegans enlighten me on something I've wondered for a long time? Is veganism generally more or less expensive than a standard healthy diet? I've never really heard one way or another... all the food looks so expensive, but meat can be expensive too so idk.

Both, is cheap if you mainly cook your dishes and do not buy "substitutes" stuff, because those are expensive.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Ehhhh, if you're only doing it for health reasons and not at all about the treatment of animal life, just change your current diet to include more lean proteins like boneless, skinless chicken breasts or fish. Eat a multivatiman with something sugary in the morning, eat vegetables regularly, and exercise.

Veganism is harder to get everything you need and much more expensive. This is coming from a vegan.

Here's an actual study of bone density in vegan buddhist nuns

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00198-009-0916-z

Conclusion
These results suggest that, although vegans have much lower intakes of dietary calcium and protein than omnivores, veganism does not have adverse effect on bone mineral density and does not alter body composition.

another study
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/90/4/943

Conclusion: The results suggest that vegetarian diets, particularly vegan diets, are associated with lower BMD, but the magnitude of the association is clinically insignificant.

Better start practising saying "sorry I can't eat that".

I heard on the radio once that for things like going Vegan and dieting, you shouldn't say I can't eat that, you should say "I WON'T eat that", which is a lot more empowering.

Personally, I love meat too much to cut it out of my diet completely and I imagine it makes it easier to consume proteins (vegan lifestyle seems expensive to do while still maintaining a balance in nutrients) but I don't need it for every meal. I like the idea of trying new types of recipes and cooking styles by eating less meals with meat every week.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Right back at you. When you are talking about the benefits of something, it's on the burden of the person or group claiming those benefits to display evidence. Currently you will fine none other than anecdotal "I feel so much better," placebo stuff.

Also for more information on health check Harvard Health Studies:

Harvard researchers launch Healthy Eating Plate

The sections of the Healthy Eating Plate include:

Vegetables: Eat an abundant variety, the more the better. Limited consumption of potatoes is recommended, however, as they are full of rapidly digested starch, which has the same roller-coaster effect on blood sugar as refined grains and sweets. In the short-term, these surges in blood sugar and insulin lead to hunger and overeating, and in the long term, to weight gain, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and other chronic disorders.
Fruits: Choose a rainbow of fruits every day.
Whole Grains: Choose whole grains, such as oatmeal, whole wheat bread, and brown rice. Refined grains, such as white bread and white rice, act like sugar in the body. Eating too many refined grains can raise the risk of heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
Healthy Proteins: Choose fish, poultry, beans, or nuts, which contain healthful nutrients. Limit red meat and avoid processed meats, since eating even small quantities of these on a regular basis raises the risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, colon cancer, and weight gain.
Healthy Oils: Use olive, canola, and other plant oils in cooking, on salads, and at the table, since these healthy fats reduce harmful cholesterol and are good for the heart. Limit butter and avoid trans fat.
Water: Drink water, tea, or coffee (with little or no sugar). Limit milk and dairy (1-2 servings per day) and juice (1 small glass a day) and avoid sugary drinks.

harvard_my_healthy_plate.png

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Anything related to digestion that we have in common with herbivore but not with carnivore is a sign that we are mostly herbivore.

The length of the digestive system is far from the only thing.

It really is not "a sign" as in it's not conclusive evidence as you seem to want it to be.

We do have longer intestines than many strictly carnivorous animals, but they are also not as long as strict herbivores. We also do not chew cud, nor do we possess multiple stomachs like many herbivore animals. Our stomachs also produce hydrochloric acid, which is there to help with the consumption of meat. That's not to mention to the wide range of digestive enzymes our pancreas produces to help us digest a variety of foods. We are historically mixed eaters, and are physiology indicates that.

Get'sMad

you should probably just start out by gradually cutting down your meat consumption and incorporating more vegetarian type stuff first and then go from there.

I'm not a vegetarian or vegan but like 95% of my diet basically is...I only eat meat and dairy about once a week.

Right back at you. When you are talking about the benefits of something, it's on the burden of the person or group claiming those benefits to display evidence. Currently you will fine none other than anecdotal "I feel so much better," placebo stuff.

Multiple people gave posted results of peer reviewed studies that show decreases in cancer, diabetes, and heart disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom