• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I'm Thinking of Trying out Veganism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caelus

I used to fast everyday, when I break it sometimes I eat a lot of meat, other days I don't want any and eat more nuts and veggies instead. I once went a whole week just eating a shitton of nuts and vegetables when I break my fast, and damn, my shits were amazing, but pretty much the same as when I eat meat. Kind of off-topic, I guess, but if you really want some health benefits without restricting the type of food you want to eat, I recommend intermittent fasting. It basically allows your body time to rest and repair when you're not digesting, and I've noticed numerous improvements in my health, even when I don't fast.

About the health studies, I honestly think health research is fickle. For example, low-carb diets are great in the short-term, but on the long-term they even out with normally calorie-restrictive diets, mainly because the body doesn't lose fat exponentially. :p Long-term studies are difficult to conduct in themselves, but long-term nutritional studies are even worse in that regard, hence a lack of consensus. For the benefits of vegan diets, I think it's a result of being more health conscious and intaking more nutritious veggies rather than removing animal products. I could be completely wrong. The only solution, if you want to achieve anything, is to have some common sense (limit junk, don't drink calories) and then experiment with yourself (reasonably) and see what your body can tolerate. Have fun with it.

I must say, that picture looks delicious. Can you share a full recipe?

1 Box of silken tofu (usually 12oz)
1/2 cup of garbonzo bean flour
1/2 tsp of turmeric
1tbsp of oilve oil
2 tbsp of nutritional flakes
2tsp of corn starch
salt and pepper to taste
i usually also add red pepper flakes

add chorizo and hash while scrambling said mixture. It works better when the hash has already been made.

I used to fast everyday, when I break it sometimes I eat a lot of meat, other days I don't want any and eat more nuts and veggies instead. I once went a whole week just eating a shitton of nuts and vegetables when I break my fast, and damn, my shits were amazing, but pretty much the same as when I eat meat. Kind of off-topic, I guess, but if you really want some health benefits without restricting the type of food you want to eat, I recommend intermittent fasting. It basically allows your body time to rest and repair when you're not digesting, and I've noticed numerous improvements in my health, even when I don't fast.

About the health studies, I honestly think health research is fickle. For example, low-carb diets are great in the short-term, but on the long-term they even out with normally calorie-restrictive diets, mainly because the body doesn't lose fat exponentially. :p Long-term studies are difficult to conduct in themselves, but long-term nutritional studies are even worse in that regard, hence a lack of consensus. For the benefits of vegan diets, I think it's a result of being more health conscious and intaking more nutritious veggies rather than removing animal products. I could be completely wrong. The only solution, if you want to achieve anything, is to have some common sense (limit junk, don't drink calories) and then experiment with yourself (reasonably) and see what your body can tolerate. Have fun with it.

How many hours do you fast?

RayMaker

Banned
The only way I would do it is a juice/smoothie diet. I would follow a plan from that juice master guy Jason vale. I think you would feel better in that diet because you would be eating all whole foods with no preservatives and you would be getting probly a lot more micro nutrients, good fats and fibre, though after a while on that diet u would probably get hungry and loose muscle.

So meat is probably my favorite food and eat chicken almost daily. So I'm thinking of taking a break from it more so for to see if I see any improvements in health and nothing to do with animals. I'm not obese or anything but I feel like this could be the best way for me to get to where I want to be and maybe I'll see improvements in areas that I didn't think I would.

So does anyone have any experience with cutting meats and dairy out of your life and what are some of people's favorite kind of vegan dishes? Any good advice or information on the subject is more then welcome.

From the time that we are young we're taught to label foods as good and bad.

Good foods are the source of health, wellness, and beauty.

While Bad foods are the cause of sickness, disease, general unpleseantness, and ugliness.

But none of this is true. There is no such thing as good food and bad food. Accepting this reality is the first step to living a healthy lifestyle.

Furthermore Veganism isn't a diet; it's more like a religion. You can't just try it out; you either believe in it or you don't.

satori

I always thought being a vegan was more of a ethical, spiritual reason. Not a health reason. Hell nothing beats a down right clean balanced diet for health reasons imo.

I did adopted a vegetarian diet for a few months in support of my mother. But honestly I rather control how much I eat vs what I can or can't eat. My good friend is a vegan. And she will not touch any that as been just touching meat.

As long as you don't feel the need to tell the world that you are vegan and look down at me in disgust as I'm having my steak, do as you wish lol.

EmiPrime

I always thought being a vegan was more of a ethical, spiritual reason.

It is yes. It's an animal rights position first and foremost, which seamlessly crosses over into environmental/ecological concerns also.

I think being vegan definitely has health benefits but it's not a good reason to be one because you can be healthy on a balanced omnivorous diet too. When celebs go on about trying a vegan diet or going on a vegan "cleanse" one word springs to mind: fad.

I suppose you'd rather they not exist at all? Because that's what would happen if everyone decided to stop eating them.
I'm not a vegan, but I'd definitely rather have cows not exist. Because of those foul creatures, animals such as wolves and the sage grouse have been displaced and/or killed off as their habitats have been destroyed to support these fat disgusting motherfuckers. At the very least, I try to vote for fewer regulations for farms so that cows can suffer as much as possible before dying.

From the time that we are young we're taught to label foods as good and bad.

Good foods are the source of health, wellness, and beauty.

While Bad foods are the cause of sickness, disease, general unpleseantness, and ugliness.

But none of this is true. There is no such thing as good food and bad food. Accepting this reality is the first step to living a healthy lifestyle.

Furthermore Veganism isn't a diet; it's more like a religion. You can't just try it out; you either believe in it or you don't.

No, pretty sure candy is bad food. There's nothing redeeming about it except for maybe the slight energy boost you receive from the sugar. That's about it

EmiPrime

Nah.

Eschewing modern medicine just because it isn't vegan and going for "natural remedies" instead is going off the deep end in crazy town. You can't choose vegan alternatives in this case; all medicine AFAIK has to be tested on animals by law and if you need a specific medicine you more often than not can't pick a pill that doesn't have lactose or a capsule that doesn't use gelatine.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not a vegan, but I'd definitely rather have cows not exist. Because of those foul creatures, animals such as wolves and the sage grouse have been displaced and/or killed off as their habitats have been destroyed to support these fat disgusting motherfuckers. At the very least, I try to vote for fewer regulations for farms so that cows can suffer as much as possible before dying.

That's awful.

You want these animals to suffer as much as possible while alive simply because their being bred for slaughter has displaced some of your preferred animals? It's not like they chose that life.

Aiustis

I was a vegetarian for about 3 years. I only ate stuff with eggs on occasion but I never liked dairy.

I think trying a vegetarian diet might be better than going all out vegan. I don't like meat/dairy substitutes.

My diet is still about 80% vegan/90% vegetarian.

Kimosabae

Banned
Whoever said there's no good or bad foods is correct. There's only good and bad nutrition. This varies from person to person but there are general principles you can follow to help you find your way.

Part of the problem is that the average person gets no formal education regarding nutrition in the states, so they latch onto fad diets like veganism because it provides them so form of structure in the modern miasma of nutritional science.

Kinda like fad fitness routines. People find something that works for them, because the basic principles of fitness eluded them before, so now it's crossfit or nothing if you want to be in great shape.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hate how so many people tend to misuse the word fad.

I don't even support veganism or think it's a particularly healthy way to live, but it's anything but a fad. It's a philosophy and has been around for quite a long time. It makes a lot of sense if you feel that strongly about animals and their treatment, and also have the means to support a vegan lifestyle.

Just because you don't agree with something does not make it a fad. Such a horribly arrogant way to dismiss something.

Whoever said there's no good or bad foods is correct. There's only good and bad nutrition. This varies from person to person but there are general principles you can follow to help you find your way.

Part of the problem is that the average person gets no formal education regarding nutrition in the states, so they latch onto fad diets like veganism because it provides them so form of structure in the modern miasma of nutritional science.

Kinda like fad fitness routines. People find something that works for them, because the basic principles of fitness eluded them before, so now it's crossfit or nothing if you want to be in great shape.

I feel like things like this are equally as damaging. There most definitely are foods that are overwhelmingly seen as "bad" for you, that have little to no nutritionally value, and should only be indulged in sparingly, as in not even "in moderation" as that's too much.

Like I said above, the average candy bar is can't honestly be recommended to anyone. The amount of unhealthy macro nutrients in it far outweigh any negligible amount of healthy nutrients you can find in it. It's not about moderation. A healthy diet should not include it at all. Not saying you'll die or instantly develop diabetes if you eat one, but it is what I would call a "bad food" where it should be avoided if possible.

Also, I'm not talking about something like a dark chocolate bar, I'm talking about Twix, Snickers (wow, they're peanuts, congrats!), and that stuff

Kimosabae

Banned
Would "trend" make you feel better? You're being insecure. Just like Crossfit, veganism is likely near some peak in popularity that will hit some trough in the future. That's not a knock against its principles and it won't disappear, that's just the nature of societal waves.

ckxlYGy.png

sorry, it was just there looking at me

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Would "trend" make you feel better? You're being insecure. Just like Crossfit, veganism is likely near some peak in popularity that will hit some trough in the future. That's not a knock against its principles and it won't disappear, that's just the nature of societal waves.

I think the burden of showing that it is a "trend that is near its peak" is on you.

What evidence do you have to indicate that a. Veganism is on the rise and b. it's nearing it's peak and will fade in popularity but not disappear soon?

Setting that aside, even, I don't see what your goal of pointing this out is. Does a lack of or decline in popularity mean that something should not be considered valid or given attention?

Kimosabae

Banned
I feel like things like this are equally as damaging. There most definitely are foods that are overwhelmingly seen as "bad" for you, that have little to no nutritionally value, and should only be indulged in sparingly, as in not even "in moderation" as that's too much.

Like I said above, the average candy bar is can't honestly be recommended to anyone. The amount of unhealthy macro nutrients in it far outweigh any negligible amount of healthy nutrients you can find in it. It's not about moderation. A healthy diet should not include it at all. Not saying you'll die or instantly develop diabetes if you eat one, but it is what I would call a "bad food" where it should be avoided if possible.

Also, I'm not talking about something like a dark chocolate bar, I'm talking about Twix, Snickers (wow, they're peanuts, congrats!), and that stuff

The simple sugars in a candy bar can be utilized as fuel for a rigorous fitness routine. It's basic energy balance. Body builders may intake white bread as opposed to whole grains 30 minutes before the gym to help spike glucose levels. What "moderation" means varies from person to person based on biological and sociological factors. Sorry. You're not going to find any hard rules here.

Tell this guy junk food has no nutritional value:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_m34_w4P0Q

You can argue that he may be "unhealthy" but you wouldn't be privy to the facts.

The simple sugars in a candy bar can be utilized as fuel for a rigorous fitness routine. It's basic energy balance. Body builders may intake white bread as opposed to whole grains 30 minutes before the gym to help spike glucose levels. What "moderation" means varies from person to person based biological and sociological factors. Sorry. You're not going to find any hard rules here.

You can argue that he may be "unhealthy" but you wouldn't be privy to the facts.

Yeah, I know, I said that earlier. Literally said that in my last post. That still doesn't mean there aren't better alternatives. When I say a diet shouldn't include it at all, I mean, there are equivalent sources of nutrients without nearly as many downsides to them. If you're recommending someone a candy bar, there's almost surely another piece of food you can recommend them to provide the equivalent nutritional value/effect. It's why energy bars are a thing. To provide equivalent amounts of energy without everything else that's unneeded in the candy bar.

No, pretty sure candy is bad food. There's nothing redeeming about it except for maybe the slight energy boost you receive from the sugar. That's about it

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The simple sugars in a candy bar can be utilized as fuel for a rigorous fitness routine. It's basic energy balance. Body builders may intake white bread as opposed to whole grains 30 minutes before the gym to help spike glucose levels. What "moderation" means varies from person to person based biological and sociological factors. Sorry. You're not going to find any hard rules here.

It's very individualistic. Not only can rigorous physical activity mitigate a ton of potential damage from diet, but there are just some people have a physiology that allows them to pretty much eat whatever and not be affected negatively.

Kimosabae

Banned
I think the burden of showing that it is a "trend that is near its peak" is on you.

What evidence do you have to indicate that a. Veganism is on the rise and b. it's nearing it's peak and will fade in popularity but not disappear soon?

Setting that aside, even, I don't see what your goal of pointing this out is. Does a lack of or decline in popularity mean that something should not be considered valid or given attention?[

My evidence is the information age spiking the popularity of all cultural phenomenon. I don't think I need a graph to state that people are more conscious of veganism today than they were 20 years ago.

As for the bolded: not at all. Stop being defensive. I blatantly stated popularity thas no bearing on vegan principles.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
My evidence is the information age spiking the popularity of all cultural phenomenon. I don't think I need a graph to state that people are more conscious of veganism today than they were 20 years ago.

That seems like a reasonable hypothesis, but again, that's all it is.

As for the bolded: not at all. Stop being defensive. I blatantly stated popularity thas no bearing on vegan principles.

Just for the record, I'm not being defensive in regards to Veganism. I think Veganism is a poor choice from a health perspective. I just don't like how "fad" gets thrown around so much seemingly in an attempt to discredit something.

Kimosabae

Banned
Yeah, I know, I said that earlier. Literally said that in my last post.

I know you did, which is what made that entire post silly. You understand the importance of moderation and understand that a candy bar can have nutritional value but you're determined to dismiss it as entirely valueless because there's "better alternatives". You state this ambiguously, even. That's moral aggrandizing.

*edit*

Okay, you weren't ambiguous. You mentioned "energy bars". These are often nothing more than glorified candy bars with whey concentrate or fiber. The thing you're not getting is that based on someone's fitness goals - they may not want fiber or protein from a particular fuel source! They may just want the simple sugars!

EmiPrime

You're talking nonsense.

The word vegan has been around for 70 years and has existed much longer than that as a concept.

Peak in popularity? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veganism#Demographics_.281996.E2.80.93present.29

There are a lot more vegan options in Britain than there were in the 90s but it's still a very niche philosophy. Most people IME don't even know exactly what veganism is.

Kimosabae

Banned
You're talking nonsense.

The word vegan has been around for 70 years and has existed much longer than that as a concept.

Peak in popularity? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veganism#Demographics_.281996.E2.80.93present.29

There are a lot more vegan options in Britain than there were in the 90s but it's still a very niche philosophy. Most people IME don't even know exactly what veganism is.

Yes, because something is niche, more people can't be more conscious of what it is today, than 70 years ago.

Okay.

EmiPrime

Yes, because something is niche, more people can't be more conscious of what it is today, than 70 years ago.

Okay.

Well I should hope so, it has been 70 years after all!

I think those who are into fad dieting might latch onto veganism for a few weeks but that doesn't make them vegan nor does it mean veganism is a fad.

Kimosabae

Banned
Well I should hope so, it has been 70 years after all!

I think those who are into fad dieting might latch onto veganism for a few weeks but that doesn't make them vegan nor does it mean veganism is a fad.

I agree with the former and have already conceded the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom