• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So...is the PS3 at the end of its life finally?

AmyS

Wouldn't PS3 have at least one major price cut left in it? I'd expect 3rd party support through 2016.

Also didn't Sony end manufacturing of PSOne around the time PS3 came out, and more recently, didn't they end PS2 manufacturing when PS4 came out ?

So....

Afrocious

Wouldn't PS3 have at least one major price cut left in it? I'd expect 3rd party support through 2016.

Also didn't Sony end manufacturing of PSOne around the time PS3 came out, and more recently, didn't they end PS2 manufacturing when PS4 came out ?

So....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the PSOne still have games coming out for it?

I know the PS2 had some major ones. Persona 4 came out in 08.

Nesther

So....

There's no doubt that the PS3 will still get multiplat support for years to come, but the exclusivity train will likely come to a halt this year.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
In terms of new releases it probably is, but I still have a lot to play, given that I bought mine less than 3 months ago. It helps that I never owned a PS2, because of all those HD ports that are available on PS3 which I'll get to experience for the first time (I'm currently playing Ico, and it's pretty good.)

Eusis

The PS3 is pretty much done with exclusive game after Zestria the last Atelier and KH 2.5.
Hell, I wonder about Zestria. Tales has been higher profile than other non-SE/Nintendo JRPGs, and quicker to launch on newer generations than some series (Tales of Destiny 2 was 2002 in Japan, an earlier PS2 title, and Vesperia was 2008 on 360 and well ahead of most other titles.) Combine that with how it's not out until 2015 anyway and it may not be a bad idea to just make it cross-gen. Especially since what I vaguely recall about the gameplay details earlier on make me think it won't be 60 fps in battle on PS3, but that could be doable on PS4.

I WAS going to call all of those into question, but the last Atelier hit in July and I would sooner expect a KH1-2.5 compilation for PS4(/XB1?) than just KH2.5 alone.

Hell, I wonder about Zestria. Tales has been higher profile than other non-SE/Nintendo JRPGs, and quicker to launch on newer generations than some series (Tales of Destiny 2 was 2002 in Japan, an earlier PS2 title, and Vesperia was 2008 on 360 and well ahead of most other titles.) Combine that with how it's not out until 2015 anyway and it may not be a bad idea to just make it cross-gen. Especially since what I vaguely recall about the gameplay details earlier on make me think it won't be 60 fps in battle on PS3, but that could be doable on PS4.

I WAS going to call all of those into question, but the last Atelier hit in July and I would sooner expect a KH1-2.5 compilation for PS4(/XB1?) than just KH2.5 alone.
Hasn't Baba said they're already preparing to transition to PS4 development? Cross-gen makes sense if they wouldn't have something ready before 2017+ otherwise.

Green Yoshi

Metal Gear Solid V in 2015 and Rise of the Tomb Raider (not announced yet, but there's a 360-version) in 2016 will be the last big games.

Eusis

Metal Gear Solid V in 2015 and Rise of the Tomb Raider (not announced yet, but there's a 360-version) in 2016 will be the last big games.
You're talking cross-gen, not exclusives. Cross-gen could go on for quite awhile potentially, though 2016 probably is the last outside of sports games and those that can be more easily adapted to weaker consoles IE music games.
Every time I think this Plus makes me re-think. Who knows honestly - certainly I'm still using mine a lot.
I certainly wouldn't shelve the system in the near future, but then I'm not one to consciously do that. It just... happens, and may come crawling back out if there's something I want to play badly enough.

It's the only place to play Destiny without a subscription. If I had to start from scratch, I'd buy the cheapest working used PS3 I could find and a used copy of Destiny for it.

galvenize

My PS3 is almost 5 years old and it struggled to keep a stable framerate during hectic battles in Xillia 2. I intented to keep it for Persona 5 but I might just take that step and buy myself a PS4.

Durante

There's still Ar nosurge coming this month, and Atelier Shallie probably some time in the summer of 2015. That will probably be the last game I buy for it.

hiex_

Banned
Now that Persona 5 has been announced for the PS4 I don't think there are any more new PS3 games I'm interested in. Not that I'll drop the system or anything.

Percy

Banned
I'm thinking Tales of Zestiria is probably going to be the last major PS3 release of note now Persona 5 is on PS4 as well. Cross gen releases are gonna be around for a while yet though.

Time to move on for me though I think... once I clear my backlog.

There's still Ar nosurge coming this month, and Atelier Shallie probably some time in the summer of 2015. That will probably be the last game I buy for it.

Ar Nosurge is this month?

For some reason I had the idea in my head it was next year. Probably got it mixed up with something else I guess :/

A video game called Destiny is coming out on the PlayStation 3 video game console in eight days.

A video game called Persona 5 is coming out on the PlayStation 3 video game console in some number of days.

Those are two upcoming video games that are coming out on a video game platform that has sold somewhere between 80 and 83.38 million units to date.

There were quite a few good video games released on the PlayStation 3 platform over the years.

Video games.

Durante

Ar Nosurge is this month?

For some reason I had the idea in my head it was next year. Probably got it mixed up with something else I guess :/
I just realized it myself when I looked it up for this thread. I probably won't have time to play it for a long while, but I'm still getting it.

I just got a PS3 Slim last week after missing out on it all generation. A big reason for me was Persona 5, but I'm not too distraught. Still have a ton of games that I've missed out on (oh hello, Demon's Souls).

Blu(e)

With Persona 5 being announced for cross gen and Destiny being cross gen, I can't think of a PS3 exclusive I want. In fact, I don't even know of any that are coming out aside from the new Kingdom Hearts remasters.

Huh, missed this completely. I wonder how the crowd against cross gen feels about this.

Reading that Persona 5 thread, people are really stoked about ditching their PS3 lol.

It seems to be a much steeper decline that the PS2 had. Probably due to the length of the last gen. I'd say they should try release a very cheap very small new version and it will keep going in smaller markets.

I gotta shitload of good games in my backlog for it (last of us,valkyria chronicles, mgs4, diagaea4, sotc collection, ratchet and clank:cit, other stuff I am forgetting etc) but yeah I think I am done buying any more games for it at all

Neff

No, because a) PS3 is an amazing, cheap, and still definitive multimedia centre, b) it hosts a massive library of games, and will continue to host big name games, and c) a lot of people don't really give two hoots about Atlus/SMT games.

RPGCrazied

Still rocking mine. Still don't have a PS4. I've waited this long, might as well wait on a price drop or a revision of the hardware.

Ainsz

Many years of FIFA sequels to come.

But cross gen seems to be the way for any PS360 gen releases from now. The huge userbase on both isn't going go ignored for a while yet.

Not at all. Almost every game coming out for the PS4 that I care about is also getting a PS3 release. If it wasn't for Bloodborne I'd just stick with the PS3.

EGOMON

It certainly look like Japanese devs are moving away form PS3 toward Vita and PS4 which is a good thing but we are still far away from complete transition.
Games announcement in Japan went form PS3/Vita/PS4 to Vita/PS4 and hopefully to PS4-only in a year or two.

Dambrosi

Banned
Yeah, PS3 still has about a year or so left in it, but that's about it.

I'll still be buying games for it till the bitter end, though - all the games mentioned already in this thread, as well as older games I missed. Lots of gaming still left to do on the old warhorse.

With that said, next year will be my time to upgrade. Sony really wants to see last gen over, and it seems a whole lot of GAffers do too, so I'll be joining the rest of you in the current gen before too long.

It certainly look like Japanese devs are moving away form PS3 toward Vita and PS4 which is a good thing but we are still far away from complete transition.
Games announcement in Japan went form PS3/Vita/PS4 to Vita/PS4 and hopefully to PS4-only in a year or two.
It's been such a slow transition, though, especially compared to previous generations. Or, at least, it feels slower. Has it been slower in reality, or is my memory failing me?

EGOMON

It's been such a slow transition, though, especially compared to previous generations. Or, at least, it feels slower. Has it been slower in reality, or is my memory failing me?
Yeah it is definitely slower especially in Japan

kadotsu

Banned
So far it looks like Shallie will be the last game I buy (if Zesteria makes it in time). Nine years of great support are nothing to scoff at. Maybe the stars will align and the Godzilla game won't be shit and maybe even get localized.

boxfresh

Neo Member
My PS3 is going to have to make room for it's younger sibling the PS4 but it's far from dead.
I preordered mine for Destiny and some other titles next year such as Bloodborne, MGSV, FFXV and No Man's Sky.
But I've been picking up a lot of old gems on the cheap for the PS3 lately like Vanquish, DmC and MG Rising.
I'll probably continue for a year or two until the PS4 library is large enough where I won't bother looking elsewhere.
Oh and when Street Fighter 5 is out!

Steroyd

Tales of Zestria.

Then it will be relegated to a Backlog, movie player PS+ box.

Edit: Oh shit forgot about Atelier Shallie.

Mohasus

Maybe if you have a PS4.

There are tons of cross-gen titles coming yet, so I'm fine with it (I'll wait for a PS4 revision).

kunonabi

PS3 is seeing more playing time from me now than it has since I got it.

Arcana Heart 3: Love Max!!!!!
Alien: Isolation
The Evil Within
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Persona 5

plus a bunch of stuff I still need to pick up:

Dragon's Crown
Deception IV: Blood Ties
Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: All-Star Battle
Harem Tengoku da to Omottara Yandere Jigoku Datta

At this point I see no reason for me to buy a PS4 in the next two years since the PS3 is handling my non-Nintendo needs just fine.

synce

I can't think of many future PS3 games I want either, but I can say the same for PS4. This is the first generation where I don't feel a rush to upgrade. Maybe in another year or two. Until then, yay for Steam.

TDLink

No.

As long as they keep announcing games that are "Cross-gen", ie, coming out on PS3 in addition to PS4 the system stays alive. There is frankly just no compelling reason to upgrade if you can get most of the games without doing so, even if they are inferior on a technical level for being on last gen hardware. It's not a big enough difference for most people, including me.

are people done with all the games on ps3? there are tons and tons of good games that i have to play yet. I am good for another 2 years on it.

JordanN

Banned
Sort of. It's gonna survive in Japan because a lot of Japanese devs are still making cross-gen games and Japan doesn't seem to really care about anything that the west cares about, namely power in consoles.

Yakuza 0 is probably going to run at 1080p on the PS4? Well, 720p is just fine for most of Japanese people, I'd imagine. So no real point in upgrading if devs refuse to stop making games for it and if the upgrades don't really matter to the audience.

Where does this belief come from? I don't think Japanese people are different from everybody else on earth. So the idea they're fine with older graphics doesn't make sense to me.

Why do you still need exclusives for a 7 year old console?

There are still games coming out to play and it still has a fantastic library that cannot be taken away.

Personally I just dont understand anyone who is feeling disappointed in the PS3s future. Mine has several years of life left in it and when it dies ill probably buy yet another one.

Top Bottom