• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So...is the PS3 at the end of its life finally?

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
End of interest? Maybe.
End of Life? unlikely, there were still PS2 games coming out in 2013.

Phreak47

I'm going Xbox One this gen. :p

Besides, I strongly dislike what I've seen of the PS4 UI. The XMB is slick.

FW 2.0 will hopefully fix a lot of the complaints about the PS4's UI. That said, it isn't bad. It just needs folders/organization options.

For me, yes. Persona 5 was the last PS3 game I wanted, and now I can get it on PS4.

The only purpose my PS3 has now is playing "old games".

Afrocious

End of interest? Maybe.
End of Life? unlikely, there were still PS2 games coming out in 2013.

I honestly don't think we'll be seeing the PS3 releases coming out in such a stretch of time like they did with a PS2. In fact, I don't think we'll ever see anything like that in the next ten or so years.

Odrion

Banned
Technically I bet it'll have a few more years ahead of it thanks to indies and things like Game Maker offering easier porting.

Guy Legend

As long as big third party titles are coming out, it's got plenty of life left.

It still really isn't that cheap yet in price, though I wonder how cheap it will go before it's finally done.

Afrocious

For me, yes. Persona 5 was the last PS3 game I wanted, and now I can get it on PS4.

The only purpose my PS3 has now is playing "old games".

Yeah, that's how I see my PS3 as well. There's enough games on it for me not to get rid of it, I have a respectable library physically and digitally, and, as was mentioned, they're not exactly cheap.

Honestly, I guess there's no concept of 'holding out' for me. The only major work to be done would be to unplug my PS4 and swap it with my PS3 to play KH2.5 HD Remix.

Busaiku

Well, I don't plan on getting PS4 any time soon, if at all, since all the games I want are already on PS3.
So it'll still last me until 2016.
I honestly don't think we'll be seeing the PS3 releases coming out in such a stretch of time like they did with a PS2. In fact, I don't think we'll ever see anything like that in the next ten or so years.
Almost all of PS4's Japanese support are PS3 games.
In Japan, these games will sell the most on PS3.
We'll see PS3 games into 2016 for sure.

Wasp

The funny thing is Kingdom Hearts 2 was the very last game I bought for PS2 and it's looking likely that Kingdom Hearts 2.5 will be the last game I buy for the PS3.

Phreak47

What will keep it alive for me (in a way) is the PS+ freebies. I've still barely touched Borderlands 2. I'm so LTTP on that.

flyover

It's still the best Netflix player out there.

Yeah. Netflix, my PS3 backlog, and PS1/PS2 compatibility ensure that the PS3 will be my main machine for quite a while yet.

But, for most people, I understand why they wouldn't need it anymore and are ready to phase it out.

BouncyFrag

The Last Guardian is still a PS3 title, guys.
159.gif

Spwn

PS3 is only just hitting it's stride. Now that it's quite inexpensive, families with small children buy it as the home entertainment system that the whole family can enjoy. I see people buying PS3s daily at the department store I work at.

Novocaine

In order for my PS3 to be obsolete my PS4 needs;

Street Fighter 3
Capcom vs. SNK 2
KoF 13 (or a new one)
Spelunky (this is OTW for sure)
Dark Souls 1/2
Demon's Souls
God of War of some kind.

I know Spelunky is coming soon but the rest I have no idea. I doubt I'll have access to PS Now any time soon (because Australia) and TBH I would rather own the games any way.

Honestly the minimalist in me would love to drop it down from 2 consoles to 1 but I just don't see it happening.

Yawnier

Banned
I think we'll see small budget to medium budget japanese games on the PS3 on a half decent scale until sometime in 2016, even if they are cross gen games that are also on Vita/PS4. Speaking for myself here, I have a Vita and 3DS too and the PS3 is still my most played platform.

The PS3 still has a good year or two at least of getting some solid content (especially from cross-gen titles). Certainly wouldn't call it dead yet; however, I do think we're done seeing any major exclusives coming to the console.

Well,most 'next gen' games that are coming out are also coming for PS3 (and x360). Its actually one of the main reasons I have not bought a PS4 or X1.
So no I don't think its near the end yet.

Man GS is offering 150 if I put it towards a ps4.. I mean I would like to play KH2.5 decisions decisions.. Only thing that's stopping me it's all my mgs games

What if Namco makes Tales of Zestiria cross gen too??

Edit: I don't know what I was thinking when I hit submit earlier. Or why I didn't recheck my post after I posted it.

RK128

Considering how I still have no huge interest in the PS4 yet (while Persona 5 is coming to PS4, it still is on PS3), I think the PS3 still has some life in it :).

Persona 4 Arena Ultramax, KH2.5 Collection (FINALLY! I will play Birth By Sleep :D!), and Persona 5 are still games I want on my PS3 :). In addition I have just....way to many games I still have to play on the thing XD! My backlog on my PS3 is too huge, so I will keep mine alive for quite a long time.

In regards to support, considering cross-gen is still a thing next year (with RotTR being cross-gen and that coming so late next year), PS3 and 360 will still get support from the 3rd parties with some Sony/Microsoft games being cross-platform too (LBP3 is also on PS3 in addition to PS4 and Foza Horizon 2 is also on 360 in addition to X1).

TEH-CJ

Banned
I am thinking of buying a PS3 for GT6 and Dark Souls 2. Do you guys think these will appear on the PS4?

edit: PS4 has Bloodborn...so there goes that.

Nah I don't see support for the console ending until late 2015-2016 so about a ten year run of support. For me personally I keep all of my old systems so I'll still be replaying my PS3 games as well as discovering games I missed from last gen. Last I had checked on my amazon wishlist, I got like 5 or so new PS3 releases lined up throughout the rest of the year.

I think the big focus on always having a PS4/XO version of new releases has accelerated the PS3's aging for me. I mean, why fire up the ol' PS3 (and clean up that massive backlog) while i can just play a shinier version of the new shit on PS4?

I will of course keep returning to it (and will buy a new ps3 when this ps3 slim dies), and its not at the end of its life, necessarily, but its telling that there are no PS3 titles i am anticipating past Q3 2014 (p4 ultimax, ar no surge). Vita is eating up the weaboo content, while ps4 is taking its big budget thunder... My Ps3 is is a tough spot. :p

Would be nice to get a tweaked revision on the Super Slim design before the old boy goes away. Go out in style and all that.

Regardless, I'll be still playing my PS3 regularly until Gran Turismo turns up on PS4, which even a Prologue edition is probably a year off.

For you maybe. I bought the system last year and I'm still slowly working my way through the games I want. There is a lot of life in that system, especially when you factor in the classics I missed like Symphony of the Night and Odin Sphere.

Would be nice to get a tweaked revision on the Super Slim design before the old boy goes away. Go out in style and all that.

Regardless, I'll be still playing my PS3 regularly until Gran Turismo turns up on PS4, which even a Prologue edition is probably a year off.

Plus one to this! Ive been looking for an excuse to buy a new one, and a super super slim revision would do quite nicely. I got that "my game collection" android app to organize my backlog, and apparently i have 96 (!) ps3 games which i have yet to finish. Frickin A.

Probably at the end of next year. I think Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD and a few other unique titles will come out and that should be the end of it. I hope so, because I want last-gen to end as quickly as possible so everyone can get on board with PS4/Xbone/PC.

For you maybe. I bought the system last year and I'm still slowly working my way through the games I want. There is a lot of life in that system, especially when you factor in the classics I missed like Symphony of the Night and Odin Sphere.

Dont get me wrong though, its definitely not "dead" to me as a system... I have a lot of dual shock 3 gaming left to do, and ill continue to support it by buying new stuff if theres ps3 only stuff that i want. its just that its transitioned to a "backlog"/"old school" machine for me waaay faster than i ever anticipated.

Let's not forget that PS3 already had an unusually-long lifespan before the PS4 hit the market. I'm sure it will continue to get multiplats, the occassional JRPG, and PSN titles for a few years more, but some would argue that it passed its life expectancy a while ago.

Jeels

While KH2.5 is the last ps3 exclusive I want, itll live on with cross gen multiplats into 2016 it looks like with Persona 5, Yakuza, Dragon Quest and so on.

Sony must keep it alive until 2016 for that 10 year life span. Rise of the Tomb Raider on 360 pushes that console across the line.

Yeah, i forgot about that 10 year lifespan thing with Sony. PS3 is likely to have a much more fruitful tail end of the whole "10 year" thing due to the length of the last console cycle and the huge install base...

Remember, for the last couple years of the PS1 it got mostly kids games (technically still new games, but..). PS2 went through a similar phase, but closed much more gracefully with the release of the first version of Persona 4.

Astral Dog

Just because there are releasing current gen versions for some games does not mean the PS3 is finished, as long as publishers dont abandon the PS3 userbase, it will be getting new games,and of course the PS3 its at the end of its life,it has been almost one year since the successor was released

Jhoan

My bro got a 12GB PS3 two weeks ago with Ultra Street Fighter IV after being on 360/Wii for ages. Once we outfit it with a good sized HD, I'm going to town downloading PS One games. Plus we have a bunch of games to get for it including JRPGs. We're not going next gen for at least 2 years.

Superflat

I need Persona 4 Arena Ultimax and Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax to be announced for PS4 for me to consider leaving the PS3 for good (as far as new games go).

Top Bottom