• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So looks like retail Bayonetta 2 is starting to go out of print...

Nakazato

Wow thank you for the heads up. No Best Buy or Gamestop within 250 miles of me had a copy (new or used). I wanted new obviously to get the Bayo1 digital copy

I have been sitting on my hands waiting for this one to drop in price but that obviously doesn't look likely.

I was able to find 1 Target in my area that had 1 copy, I would recommend using the Target inventory checker to see if any stores have it, as the game has been removed from their website. The DCPI (I.e. Inventory number) is 207-30-0051. Just go to http://brickseek.com/target-inventory-checker type in the DCPI number and your zip code and see what "saleable" copies they have in stock near you.

I also was able to successfully price match it to Gamestop for $38.97 too ;)
http://www.gamestop.com/wii-u/games/bayonetta-2/104829

They wouldn't price match mine but thank you so much got mine :D

cress2000

Checked several stores today and couldn't find it in any of them. Even the Target that supposedly has 2 available according to the inventory checker.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Is that so?

OT I'm glad I snagged a copy back when it was MSRP. Now if only I could find time to play it...

It is so. That was when I decided I'd better grab a copy before they vanished, and the only place that had it in stock in retail was Amazon, through third parties, for inflated prices. I ended up getting one off eBay for $40, because several people were still selling it for rational prices. There's nothing unusual about this price rise. Just about any Nintendo-exclusive title does the same after it goes out of print, unless the guy from Lego City Undercover was in Smash Bros. and I missed it.

Soul_Pie

I will never understand why Nintendo does this, you're potentially losing a bunch of customers if you have a choice is between the expensive second hand copies and the digital copy.

Same thing happened with Xenoblade, firstly people had to absolutely beg for it to be released in the first place, then they limit the amount of copies so you ended up paying twice as much for it and Nintendo got nothing for it anyway. It's not like they're cartridges that are expensive to make either.

The bargain bin gamer is an important part of the broader scene. They might become a lifelong fan of a company or a franchise after picking up something spur of the moment for a cheap price, or they might be the late adopters who want to find out what they missed. You've got to consider everybody with the way you release your software

Anbec7

I still see a lot of them in Mexico and they have the day one edition with Bayo 1 if you live near the border you could do one quick trip :p

Neoxon

I will never understand why Nintendo does this, you're potentially losing a bunch of customers if you have a choice is between the expensive second hand copies and the digital copy.

Same thing happened with Xenoblade, firstly people had to absolutely beg for it to be released in the first place, then they limit the amount of copies so you ended up paying twice as much for it and Nintendo got nothing for it anyway. It's not like they're cartridges that are expensive to make either.

The bargain bin gamer is an important part of the broader scene. They might become a lifelong fan of a company or a franchise after picking up something spur of the moment for a cheap price, or they might be the late adopters who want to find out what they missed. You've got to consider everybody with the way you release your software
To be fair, Nintendo likely had no reason to believe that either Bayonetta 2 or Xenoblade would be big sellers. And in the case of Bayonetta 2, they were right until recently (thanks to Smash). As for Xenoblade, that ended up being a cult hit in the west that gave way to a new franchise, something that Nintendo later capitalized on with Xenoblade 3D & Xenoblade X. From the looks of things now, Smash 4 gave (& will continue to give) Bayonetta the shot-in-the-arm that she needed in terms of public awareness.

To be fair, it's more complicated than that. In retrospect, Xenoblade Chronicles ended up selling roughly less than 500,000 copies world wide. That signals that the game is reaching niche market territory, rather than the mainstream appeal that people expected. In that case, it makes sense to have a limited print run of the game. You never want to print more copies than necessary since you run the risk of saturating the market with games sitting on a shelf and being virtually unsellable. That being said, if the game becomes a hit, then you can always have secondary print runs. It's also a double-edged sword since we live in a time where data is easily gained with respect to a game's print run, resulting in people taking advantage of the scarcity for profit.

fernoca

whoa!

dammit Nintendo!
Why blame Nintendo...again? :p

EU retailers that stopped selling games and hardware, did so because said items were not selling.

Multiple places reported ones like ASDA doing it over 2 years ago (without notice). Followed by official statements from them later (like how ASDA would carry games only on their website.

In here is the same.
Wii U is not selling, software isn't selling, retailer barely order items, those still not sell, so they don't order more.

Why would a store order 10 more copies of Bayonetta 2, when they still have stock from 2014. And even if one particular store wants more copies, they would just transfer from another store that has them.

Retailer 101. :p
This is not Nintendo's fault. Granted, their blame lies on them not making a product that satisfy or targets customers desires or needs, but that has nothing to do with retailer and items out of stock. The fact that since 2014, stores still had copies of Bayonetta 2, goes to show that Nintendo shipped more than actual demand.

Clive

Are there any worse publishers from a consumer perspective than Nintendo? Their games are always expensive and never drop in price. In some cases even get rare. I never have these issues with any other publisher.

I love Ninty for the record and I'm one of those crazy people with ~30 retail Wii U games but I really hate when they publish something that isn't expected to sell hundreds of thousands of copies year after year after year.

SalvaPot

Are there any worse publishers from a consumer perspective than Nintendo? Their games are always expensive and never drop in price. In some cases even get rare. I never have these issues with any other publisher.

I love Ninty for the record and I'm one of those crazy people with ~30 retail Wii U games but I really hate when they publish something that isn't expected to sell hundreds of thousands of copies year after year after year.

Why would Nintendo drop the price if people keep on buying them for full price? If anything this thread shows that people are willing to pay $60 for the game if there is a risk of paying more. When the game (Bayo 2) was $35 it stayed that way for weeks, so you can't say the demand was there.

If anything Nintendo expected to sell X number of copies and now that is rare it sold X number of copies at $35/$60.

Looks like I wont be getting the game unless something magical happens and I can get it for less than $90.

(Don't say eShop. I prefer physical games.)

Wait so do you hate Nintendo for not dropping the price of their games (even though retailers do deals with them anyways) or the fact that they publish niche games and the public doesn't buy it in droves.

Why blame Nintendo...again? :p

EU retailers that stopped selling games and hardware, did so because said items were not selling.

Multiple places reported ones like ASDA doing it over 2 years ago (without notice). Followed by official statements from them later (like how ASDA would carry games only on their website.

In here is the same.
Wii U is not selling, software isn't selling, retailer barely order items, those still not sell, so they don't order more.

Why would a store order 10 more copies of Bayonetta 2, when they still have stock from 2014. And even if one particular store wants more copies, they would just transfer from another store that has them.

Retailer 101. :p
This is not Nintendo's fault. Granted, their blame lies on them not making a product that satisfy or targets customers desires or needs, but that has nothing to do with retailer and items out of stock. The fact that since 2014, stores still had copies of Bayonetta 2, goes to show that Nintendo shipped more than actual demand.

Your explanation totally makes it sound like it's Nintendo's fault, not the retailers' xD :p

Tons of niche Japanese games only get small print runs and wind up super expensive.

If you want those kinds of games you have to buy them near launch, it's not like it's a new thing.

Soul_Pie

To be fair, Nintendo likely had no reason to believe that either Bayonetta 2 or Xenoblade would be big sellers. And in the case of Bayonetta 2, they were right until recently (thanks to Smash). As for Xenoblade, that ended up being a cult hit in the west that gave way to a new franchise, something that Nintendo later capitalized on with Xenoblade 3D & Xenoblade X. From the looks of things now, Smash 4 gave (& will continue to give) Bayonetta the shot-in-the-arm that she needed in terms of public awareness.

The thing is, they should know from past experiences that these games can often become massive cult hits. Once again, it took ages for a niche little game called animal crossing to make its way to PAL territories and arguably the original never got the success and attention it deserved because of Nintendo's unwillingness to give it the promotion it needed. They'll never give Mother a chance to take off because they won't release them properly despite the characters being in Smash games for well over 15 years and despite the likes of other series that never had a western presence like Fire Emblem taking off. They just constantly hamstring themselves and the developers who want to find as many people as possible with their games. You have to at least give your games the chance at success and when you put up barriers to people finding your games you're gonna have a bad time.

As someone in a PAL territory the way Nintendo has released games has always been a massive sore spot though so I'm probably a bit blinkered in that respect.

This was one of the reasons I bought it last holiday. It was a awesome looking game and I was afraid it would be a rare one at the time.

Games like Devil's Third and Rodea definitely seemed like they'd be rare too and worth picking up, but I had to ask myself if I actually wanted the game to PLAY or just to collect dust in my collection, haha.

Target had one copy and I thought about snagging it. But I already own it and hope someone looking for it will pick it up. That's worth it more than me snagging a 30$ profit.

Clive

Why would Nintendo drop the price if people keep on buying them for full price? If anything this thread shows that people are willing to pay $60 for the game if there is a risk of paying more. When the game (Bayo 2) was $35 it stayed that way for weeks, so you can't say the demand was there.

If anything Nintendo expected to sell X number of copies and now that is rare it sold X number of copies at $35/$60.

I'm not questioning their motives, I'm simply saying that I don't have to put up with watching prices like a hawk to get them for less than $60 from any other publisher. There really isn't a single game I can think of from this gen that has shot up in price above $60 from any publisher but Nintendo.

Wait so do you hate Nintendo for not dropping the price of their games (even though retailers do deals with them anyways) or the fact that they publish niche games and the public doesn't buy it in droves.

I hate that I have to pay more for their games than comparable products from other publishers. I would have loved if the Xseed rumors about Devil's Third had been true because then we wouldn't have to pay $100 on eBay right now.

They don't do a good job of publishing niche games from a consumer's perspective because we overpay. Better than nothing can still be the worst.

Games like Devil's Third and Rodea definitely seemed like they'd be rare too and worth picking up, but I had to ask myself if I actually wanted the game to PLAY or just to collect dust in my collection, haha.

I bought B2 (and really, a Wii U) cause Bayonetta 1 is in my top 3 games of last gen.

I had a preorder for the SE of the new Fatal Frame, but like with Devil's Third and Rodea, I don't think I'd ever play it, so cancelled that as well.

Idk... I mean I'm interested but at the same time I'm not.. I saw a thread a week ago comparing the w101 to this.. And many chose w101. I played it and just couldn't get into it.. So makes me feel turned off from this game... I never liked dmc as some people have losely compared bayo2 too

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
The thing is, they should know from past experiences that these games can often become massive cult hits. Once again, it took ages for a niche little game called animal crossing to make its way to PAL territories and arguably the original never got the success and attention it deserved because of Nintendo's unwillingness to give it the promotion it needed. They'll never give Mother a chance to take off because they won't release them properly despite the characters being in Smash games for well over 15 years and despite the likes of other series that never had a western presence like Fire Emblem taking off. They just constantly hamstring themselves and the developers who want to find as many people as possible with their games. You have to at least give your games the chance at success and when you put up barriers to people finding your games you're gonna have a bad time.

As someone in a PAL territory the way Nintendo has released games has always been a massive sore spot though so I'm probably a bit blinkered in that respect.
Earthbound is doing fine as far as taking off and Mother 3 has basically been mentioned and teased so much that its basically a question of when instead of if.

I'm not questioning their motives, I'm simply saying that I don't have to put up with watching prices like a hawk to get them for less than $60 from any other publisher. There really isn't a single game I can think of from this gen that has shot up in price above $60 from any publisher but Nintendo.

I hate that I have to pay more for their games than comparable products from other publishers. I would have loved if the Xseed rumors about Devil's Third had been true because then we wouldn't have to pay $100 on eBay right now.

They don't do a good job of publishing niche games from a consumer's perspective because we overpay. Better than nothing can still be the worst.

But they're a business, no? If I was running a publisher, I'd do exactly what they do. Print only enough copies that I think would sell so I don't have to absorb restock costs later. If there's a demand for a game later still, I'll have time to think and calculate enough if the demand is actually worth me reprinting.

I'll obviously be wrong sometimes (like the amiibo craze this time last year), but I'd honestly rather be wrong and undersupply more often than oversupply. I can fix undersupply, I'm screwed with too much stock.

I'm no economist but I imagine this strategy keeps them financially healthy. I'd rather publish 1000 copies of Devil's Third, sell them all, than print 10000 and sell maybe 2500.

Of course I'm not accounting for inflating prices in the gray market. But my potential loss of sales there won't bother me as much as the potential restock costs of overproducing, so it's not my problem. I've sold my stock.

There's a balance and science to making sure supply meets demand, and I'm sure BusinessGAF can let me know how this is a terrible idea, but again on the surface, given a choice, I choose Nintendo's way, however ice cold it appears. And I'm surprised more companies don't do it (except for the whole 'when everyone zigs, Nintendo zags' thing).

Paying more only applies to games that haven't reduced their prices over time. Initial launch pricing is pretty comparable save for a few differences.

As for publishing, they're doing just fine. You can't expect them to print more games and run the risk of overproducing and underselling, that's a terrible business model. Niche games are niche games for a reason.

Idk... I mean I'm interested but at the same time I'm not.. I saw a thread a week ago comparing the w101 to this.. And many chose w101. I played it and just couldn't get into it.. So makes me feel turned off from this game... I never liked dmc as some people have losely compared bayo2 too

I never got into DMC and really loved bayonetta. Actually bayo was the first action game I dug into and fully understood. They're different in my mind.

Zekes!

Glad I had the girlfriend buy me a copy for Christmas as my gift. It's gonna sit in my backlog a while, but I know I'll come back to it, maybe over the school year if I play it in small increments.

SalvaPot

Not to argue, but I don't agree. Bayonetta 1 was heavily promoted and it performed bad (From SEGA´s perspective). Bayonetta 2 was heavily promoted too (For a Nintendo game), they always featured front and center on the Nintendo Directs and even got commercials on TV and it still had tons of copies just sitting on the shelf and no restocks.

You know what is a game they did not promote? Wonderful 101. That game was an afterthought and it dropped in price fast.

Honestly this always happens with Nintendo releases. Always. When the first reports come in that its getting rare then that is when people actually care to get a copy, because Nintendo games are a worthy investment and rarely go down in price.

See Star Fox 64 3DS. It sold ok but not that great, then Amazon got rid of their extra copies that got stuck on their storage for $9.99, then other retailers did the same. Then word spread that the game is hard to find and now everyone and their Mother wanted to get the game, and now you are lucky if you can find it under $40.

By now its part of the NIntendo fan culture. You get the games you really want to play, you wait for the first meaningful discount (That do happen, even Devil's Third was heavily discounted on preorders) and get it, if you don't like it or had your fun you can always sell it back and chances are you will get what you paid for it or even more.

Monocle

Glad I had the girlfriend buy me a copy for Christmas as my gift. It's gonna sit in my backlog a while, but I know I'll come back to it, maybe over the school year if I play it in small increments.
Bayonetta 2 is probably better than most or all of your backlog, just saying.

Zekes!

Bayonetta 2 is probably better than most or all of your backlog, just saying.

Yo, this I don't doubt. I'm just trying to knock out some other games that are more of a time commitment. The mission structure of Bayonetta would make it good as something to play for a bit in the evening after work and/or school.

Clive

Paying more only applies to games that haven't reduced their prices over time. Initial launch pricing is pretty comparable save for a few differences.

As for publishing, they're doing just fine. You can't expect them to print more games and run the risk of overproducing and underselling, that's a terrible business model. Niche games are niche games for a reason.

Yes, most games launch at $60. I pay on average maybe $20 for my video games from other publishers than Nintendo. I like that as a consumer.

I don't give a crap about their business models. As a consumer I want to pay as little as possible for my video games. Their financials are of no concern to me. Therefore, Nintendo is the worst publisher of video games to me as a consumer.

No denying they are successful and it doesn't hurt them financially that people have to pay $80+ for Pikmin, Devil's Third and Bayo 2. It hurts me who prefer to pay as little as possible for my video games though.

Monocle

Yo, this I don't doubt. I'm just trying to knock out some other games that are more of a time commitment. The mission structure of Bayonetta would make it good as something to play for a bit in the evening after work and/or school.
I hear that. It's true, the game gives you a lot of natural stopping points to work with when you have limited time.

ramparter

Banned
It'll be interesting. Moreso than even the Gamecube, I suspect the Wii U is a system that a lot of people will realize they shouldn't have slept on until it's too late and all the good games are stupidly expensive.
At least there's a chance these games will be available for download in NX like Wii games now.

Neoxon

At least there's a chance these games will be available for download in NX like Wii games now.
That's only the case because the Wii U uses PowerPC like the Wii did. The NX Platform likely won't be the same case & will probably opt for either ARM or x86 (if Iwata was literal about the console & handheld being "like brothers", it'll probably be the former).

Yes, most games launch at $60. I pay on average maybe $20 for my video games from other publishers than Nintendo. I like that as a consumer.

I don't give a crap about their business models. As a consumer I want to pay as little as possible for my video games. Their financials are of no concern to me. Therefore, Nintendo is the worst publisher of video games to me as a consumer.

No denying they are successful and it doesn't hurt them financially that people have to pay $80+ for Pikmin, Devil's Third and Bayo 2. It hurts me who prefer to pay as little as possible for my video games though.

$20 is below average when it comes to launch, so we're talking possible discounts or buying games much later than usual. It's advantageous to pay less of course, but it's not exactly a tenable expectation given the market average, unless Nintendo Selects is a thing.

Maybe you care less as far as being the consumer is concerned, but the business models of publishers have a direct impact on your ability to get the game. For instance, one of the purchasing philosophy I have is that, if I know a game is going to be niche/hard to find down the road, I prioritize that game ahead of other stuff. Say, I'd buy Xenoblade Chronicles X first before any Mario platformer because I know I'll still be able to find tons of Mario games later. Obviously, everyone has a different way of doing things, but it helps to be aware of publishing habits.

Also, you're not forced to pay that much money for games. The secondhand market is the worst when it comes to being a purchasing option for games because of how much it's based on people wanting to make a quick buck. I don't think Devil's Third has a digital option, but the digital market is there for games like Bayonetta and Pikmin (whether you like digital vs. physical copies is another argument entirely).

I don't even disagree why you would be upset. But you (presumably) still pay $60, even if you're pissed off.

But if we stopped paying full price for their games, that'll change their minds. But we don't. So we can hurl insults at them all we want but unless their bottom line gets hurt by us not buying them, why should they change? On the surface, that almost seems irresponsible. As a business, they're not here ultimately to do favors, they're here to make money.

Sticks and stones and all that, but we still pay them top dollar so not sure why it would bother them.

It's easy to see how the first week sales of AC Syndicate was a result of the loss of trust consumers had in the franchise after AC Unity. So sales figures can have an effect. Reviews and bad press can theoretically have an effect as well, but it's gotta affect sales.

Not to add more clichés, but money talks. Everything else to them is just noise.

All games are available at the eShop. If somebody absolutely wants a physical version he must pay for this luxury like someone who prefers vinyl records.

Neoxon

All games are available at the eShop. If somebody absolutely wants a physical version he must pay for this luxury like someone who prefers vinyl records.
But unlike vinyl records, physical discs are still relevant. And as long as internet connections aren't as stable & widespread as they should be, physical media will remain the standard for many as far as console gaming goes.

SalvaPot

I don't think Devil's Third has a digital option, but the digital market is there for games like Bayonetta and Pikmin (whether you like digital vs. physical copies is another argument entirely).

Devil's Third is available for download. Hell, its featured in my Miiverse Wara Wara Plaza right now.

Nintendo: We will surely make our investment on bayonetta 2 back in over a year from now because it's probably gonna be a cult classic. Let's ship 2 million instead of a predictive number based on the niche market base and have most of them sit on shelves and not make any revenue for most of the year and we're gonna make the big bucks. This is a good business decision.

Their business model is exactly what makes it possible for them to be the company they are today (free online play, loads upon loads of vanity projects that have zero chance of making their money back, support of niche titles, extremely fair DLC).

The money to keep the lights on has to come from somewhere, you are just paying it upfront in contrast to the vast majority of publishers who make like 30% of their money off the back of DLC and microtransactions.

There is beeing savvy with your money and then there is expecting 2 GOAT character action games for 20 bucks.

mjc

But unlike vinyl records, physical discs are still relevant. And as long as internet connections aren't as stable & widespread as they should be, physical media will remain the standard for many as far as console gaming goes.

Yup. Until the internet is literally treated like a utility and everyone can get it, physical media will still be sought.

Hylian7

To actually own a Wii U.
I don't understand what the holdup has been for people over like the last year or so about buying a Wii U. It's had plenty of games for a while now, some of which being the best games for replay value. Other than the sales figures, I don't get where these things about it being a console with nothing comes from.

Clive

There is beeing savvy with your money and then there is expecting 2 GOAT character action games for 20 bucks.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002I0J8FI/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ZK696O/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007TYC8MI/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ZK9QCS/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001YHX4B0/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R9NWTQO/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P297EI/?tag=neogaf0e-20
and
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DC7G1WE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Regardless of "reasons", Nintendo is the only publisher where I have to pay $60 or above. I don't understand how anyone can see this as a good thing. With Scalebound I will be able to pay a premium if I want it at launch and less if I wait longer. With Bayonetta 2 it is entirely possible the price will rise even further.

entremet

I hear that. It's true, the game gives you a lot of natural stopping points to work with when you have limited time.

The main game of Bayonetta 2 isn't even that long.

The time sink happens when you start going for Pure Platinums.

But if you want to beat, it's relatively short, which I appreciate. I'm getting tired of 20 plus hour games.

Play it, people!

I know you've played it, Monocle. I was speaking generally.

Top Bottom