• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So My 360 Just Died, But At Least I Get 25% Off The Repair!

AZ Greg

I've had my 360 since the end of December and it just died. Called up customer service and was told my warranty expired about 2 weeks ago. :| And in her cheerful voice the customer service lady said the repair is only $129, but she could get my 25% off! WHAT A DEAL! :(

Just as I was nearing the end of Ninja Gaiden Black too. :(

mosaic

go eat paint
Probably the only console I've ever felt 100% thrilled with dropping $50 on the extended service plan.

Mine refuses to boot-up on the first attempt, but works fine thereafter. I know my days/months are numbered... but at least I won't be paying to fix it or ship it to-from.

Mrbob

AZ Greg said:
I've had my 360 since the end of December and it just died. Called up customer service and was told my warranty expired about 2 weeks ago. :| And in her cheerful voice the customer service lady said the repair is only $129, but she could get my 25% off! WHAT A DEAL! :(

Sucks dude. :(

Mrbob

BudokaiMR2 said:
Can't you at least throw out some spinnage to make him feel better bob? ;p

For the price of fixing your 360, you can buy a PS2 and get the best version of Madden 07 available?????

:thumbsup

:cries

Sometimes I love paying the high european taxes. All the bad X360s go to the USA, they don't even dare to sell bad systems to a region with 2 years of mandatory guaranty. Microsoft knows how to earn $529 for each system :lol

I already have a perfect Xbox 360, a 5-year-and-still-no-prob PS2 and a PSP-NDS Lite duo with zero dead pixels each one :D

Jeff-DSA

sp0rsk said:
seriously, whats the ratio of 360s that break to ones that dont?

I don't know, but I'm on my 3rd and my friend is on his 4th. Out of my friends we're the only two that have them but our experiences alone have scared the rest of them off from picking one up yet.

$129 is WAY too much to repair something that is known to be faulty in high percentages. If they try and hit me for the much when it breaks the next time I'm going to raise hell.

X26

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:
I don't know, but I'm on my 3rd and my friend is on his 4th. Out of my friends we're the only two that have them but our experiences alone have scared the rest of them off from picking one up yet.

$129 is WAY too much to repair something that is known to be faulty in high percentages. If they try and hit me for the much when it breaks the next time I'm going to raise hell.

I'm one of those fearful people too, which is why I'm waiting until the 'new' (more effiecient) 360's start being made and sold till I even CONSIDER buying one

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
If mine ever breaks and i have to pay for it, im just gonna trash it and I wont buy another one.

Vaandaviii said:
Sometimes I love paying the high european taxes. All the bad X360s go to the USA, they don't even dare to sell bad systems to a region with 2 years of mandatory guaranty. Microsoft knows how to earn $529 for each system :lol
Yeah. Our 2 year warranty rocks! Costs a bit more, but it's worth it.

_Angelus_

Banned
I won't touch a new console without a protection plan. Too many times I've been left with this terrible sinking feeling after an electronic device has died. I would rather have peace of mind by having the component covered than to go through that shit early on in its life.

my harddrive failed this morning. called customer service and was told my warranty expired 6 days ago. but then the guy just told me he'd give it to me anyway. whew.

sorry to hear about your loss.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wow, that sucks.

Sony (and I'd say Nintendo, but their record speaks for itself) has to guarantee that the PS3 does not break on this kind of scale....

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Bought mine at launch and haven't had a problem, but I am glad I dropped $50 on a 4 year service plan.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Christopher said:
PS3s better not die...it better not.

...it better not
Your PS3 will give you many years of entertainment, especially considering Sony's previous track record!

Nutter

Costco guys Costco.. The only place worth buying any electronics*

*that is if they carry what you are looking for.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Archie said:
Your PS3 will give you many years of entertainment, especially considering Sony's previous track record!

At least sony gives a one year waranty on their products now

Kittonwy said:
Is there anyone whose xbox360 hasn't broken yet? Are you guys crossing your fingers?

So far so good surprisingly
I don't use it everyday though

reaver18

My 4th xbox 360 should be back to my house in a couple days. Just got some new speakers so I can't wait til it gets here.

PipBoy

Banned
sp0rsk said:
seriously, whats the ratio of 360s that break to ones that dont?
Make two threads:

#1 Who bought an X360 ?
#2 Did your X360 broke ?

I'm pretty sure you'll have more replies for thread #2, which means the ratio is higher than 100%: GAF can bend logic.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
It's funny, I sent Microsoft the extended warranty thing with a money order and they sent it back with a letter about the serial number being wrong...Even though it wasn't. So I spelled out each number and sent it back. Still haven't gotten a confirmation letter or anything yet...Oh boy...

X26

Banned
PipBoy said:
Make two threads:

#1 Who bought an X360 ?
#2 Did your X360 broke ?

I'm pretty sure you'll have more replies for thread #2, which means the ratio is higher than 100%: GAF can bend logic.

Is this GameFAQs? The whole "people just pretend to own faulty 360's!!!" argument is over-used by xbox fanboys, and the fact is there is that there IS an issue with the quality of the launch 360's. How big an issue, well who knows, but it SEEMS significant.

AZ Greg said:
I've had my 360 since the end of December and it just died. Called up customer service and was told my warranty expired about 2 weeks ago. :|
What? The US warranty is six months? I thought it was only three. Bought mine in feb, and I'm now pretty sure there's something wrong with the video chip. Shrubs keep flickering in Oblivion. Thought it was just dodgy code, but when I checked out the Tomb Raider demo last month, I get loads of short horizontal lines dropping out on Lara's flesh. Then the new Kameo demo, loads of bits of foliage flickered on and off in the trees, in exactly the same way as Oblivion. Figured I was well out of warranty, but if it's six, not three, then... what's that number again?

Nintendo has always given 1 year.
Sony started giving one year with PSP and PStwo.
Whats the deal MS?

I wonder if PS3 will have 1 year, or might mysteriously go back to 3 months...

X360:
-------------$399
-------------$200(4-year live service)
---------------$50(1-year extended warranty x4 if want it to last 4 years)
-------------$100(HD-DVD)
Total------- $749

Stop crying about PS3's price.

reaver18

There's no way you should have to pay for a fault that was caused by Microsoft. You should have asked to speak to a manager and caused hell until they waived the fee.

Syb

acousticvan said:
X360:
-------------$399
-------------$200(4-year live service)
---------------$50(1-year extended warranty x4 if want it to last 4 years)
-------------$100(HD-DVD)
Total------- $749

Stop crying about PS3's price.

Lozl,..@!1

_Angelus_

Banned
060604fortmason_foodfight3.jpg

That sucks. I just sent in my 360 to be repaired. December purchase, just failed, also out of warranty. I pushed them until they agreed to drop the $129 price tag down to $30, to cover the shipping in all the various directions.

In case anyone else's goes soon, remember to push them on the phone, ask if there's anyone else you can talk to, etc.

Only console I've owned that has died on me is the 360.

First one gave me dirty disc errors and wouldn't play any 360 games right out of the box. I was able to play Halo 1 for some strange reason, though.

Went with a 3 year warranty from best buy, and exchanged it the next day for a new one, which has been working fine for me since.

Also, Oblivion and PGR3 are awesome.

Service agreements FTW!

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
I'm on my second 360. I didn't get the replacement plan from best buy this time. I think it's ****in stupid that I have to pay them 50 bucks for a replacement unit everytime one messes up. Hopin it holds up :(

_Angelus_

Banned
sefskillz said:
I'm on my second 360. I didn't get the replacement plan from best buy this time. I think it's ****in stupid that I have to pay them 50 bucks for a replacement unit everytime one messes up. Hopin it holds up :(

You have to renew the plan each time out?
If so thats really bad. I thought only GameStop pulled this stunt, but if all retailors now do this.:(

ibu

AZ Greg said:

1 yr European warranty FTW

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Vaandaviii said:
[OT] What's the difference between "warranty" and "guaranty"? Am I saying something badly? :lol [/OT]

No, they both basically mean the same thing.

guar·an·ty 1. An agreement by which one person assumes the responsibility of assuring payment or fulfillment of another's debts or obligations.
a. Something given as security for the execution, completion, or existence of something else.
b. The act of providing such security.
a. A guarantee, as for a product or service: a new refrigerator still under guaranty.
b. A guarantee to perform something in a specified way.
4. A guarantee serving to assure a particular outcome or condition.
5. A guarantor.

war·ran·ty 1. Official authorization, sanction, or warrant.
2. Justification or valid grounds for an act or a course of action.
3. Law.
a. An assurance by the seller of property that the goods or property are as represented or will be as promised.
b. The insured's guarantee that the facts are as stated in reference to an insurance risk or that specified conditions will be fulfilled to keep the contract effective.
c. A covenant by which the seller of land binds himself or herself and his or her heirs to defend the security of the estate conveyed.
d. A judicial writ; a warrant.
4. A guarantee given to the purchaser by a company stating that a product is reliable and free from known defects and that the seller will, without charge, repair or replace defective parts within a given time limit and under certain conditions.

</end thread derailment>

Top Bottom