• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So My 360 Just Died, But At Least I Get 25% Off The Repair!

Oni Jazar

Damn I guess the phone rep wasn't kidding when he told me that I was lucky because my warranty expired on THE DAY THAT I CALLED

gkryhewy

AZ Greg said:
Also, even if you were already charged and you call now and speak with a supervisor you should be able to get the difference between the original charge and the $32.50 credited back to you card. :)

Thanks. When I called, it was talking to a supervisor that got me the 25% off thing. But like I said, since then the xbox has been fine. But if it does go to crap again, I'll certainly note the 32.50 price when I call them back!

reaver18

mashoutposse said:
Just called MS about my 2nd replacement 360. They agreed to give me a truly brand new 360 (not the usual 10/31/05 refurb) and compensated me with another game (got Kameo a couple of weeks ago; opted for PGR3 this time). I am officially impressed with MS customer support.
I'm going on to my 4th 360 and I haven't gotten shit for free. If it breaks again, I'm going to ask for 3 free games.

My 4th replacement is going to be here on the 5th. I hope this one isn't a piece of shit like the last and lasts me longer than a DAY.

big_z

Has microsoft ever commented on what was causing 360 deaths?

I remember back in the early ps1 days if your system broke sending it back cost nearly as much as buying a new one.

mj1108

big_z said:
Has microsoft ever commented on what was causing 360 deaths?

Do you really think MS is going to openly admit that there's a lot of defective units? That would be a helluva lot of bad PR right there.

mj1108 said:
Do you really think MS is going to openly admit that there's a lot of defective units? That would be a helluva lot of bad PR right there.
reeve.jpg

EGM92

AZ Greg said:
I called back and explained that I wasn't happy with the repair price I had been told earlier and the customer service person told me they couldn't do anything. So I asked to speak with a supervisor and they said ok. The first thing the supervisor said was I'm looking at what you were charged and you were charged too much. He then said he would only charge $32.50 for shipping and give me a two year extended warranty for $40.

One funny thing he said when I asked him if this has been a big problem (Even though I know it is, I just wanted his answer) he said yeah and especially in the last few days to couple weeks. He said it's almost like a check engine light and everybodys is coming on right now! :lol

Also, even if you were already charged and you call now and speak with a supervisor you should be able to get the difference between the original charge and the $32.50 credited back to you card. :)

Good for you man, tell that bitch who's boss, don't ever let them **** around with you. They've tried to **** me over so many times in the past, it's good they're changing their tone. And the comment may by the supervisor, ouch, :lol

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
AZ Greg said:
One funny thing he said when I asked him if this has been a big problem (Even though I know it is, I just wanted his answer) he said yeah and especially in the last few days to couple weeks. He said it's almost like a check engine light and everybodys is coming on right now! :lol

That guy is screwed if the tape of your phone call pops up in a QA check.

AniHawk

It's so weird. We've had like three people that I know of come in and replace their 360s (since they bought a warranty) in the last week or so.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
reaver18 said:
I'm going on to my 4th 360 and I haven't gotten shit for free. If it breaks again, I'm going to ask for 3 free games.

My 4th replacement is going to be here on the 5th. I hope this one isn't a piece of shit like the last and lasts me longer than a DAY.

Find something about your situation and complain about it. In your case, it should be quite easy -- harp on all of the downtime that you've had to experience. So far, I've managed to get a free game each time I've had to request a replacement (I had valid issues with the handling of the repairs each time).

If your case is especially compelling, they will also agree to send you a brand new, retail box, non-refurbished console. These units have a special classification in their system, so you won't get it unless a supervisor specifically tells you that your next replacement is coming from that stock.

EGM92

mashoutposse said:
Find something about your situation and complain about it. In your case, it should be quite easy -- harp on all of the downtime that you've had to experience. So far, I've managed to get a free game each time I've had to request a replacement (I had valid issues with the handling of the repairs each time).

If your case is especially compelling, they will also agree to send you a brand new, retail box, non-refurbished console. These units have a special classification in their system, so you won't get it unless a supervisor specifically tells you that your next replacement is coming from that stock.

You say retail box, a core pack?

My X360 is still on the fritz when playing DVD's I've contacted an agent that gave me his personal number but it seems he went on vacation... or just choosing to ignore my calls. I want to reguest a brand new console that no one has ever touched before outside of the manufacturing process.

reaver18

mashoutposse said:

Thanks for the info.

If this one breaks I'm going to ask for a supervisor right away and request a new console and free shit. But hopefully, this one will be good.

llTll

Banned
" i dont get why my thread got locked so i am going to post it here. and if mods want to lock this, then fine by me. but please, say at least a reason why you are locking it.

"i decided to get another xbox 360 around 2 weeks ago because i figured i already have money saved up for PS3. so why not have fun with next gen gaming. however yusterday, while i am changing the HDD with my friends' one to download stuff over Live, i got the 3 red sh*t. i turned the console off, un-plugged everything and plugged them back. it worked... at that moment i started to sh*t on my pants. after 20 mins i changed the HDD back to my orginal one and it did the same. i was like wtf?. un-plugged everything and plugged them back. but this time, it didnt work anymore. i figured maybe the HDD problem or not plugged well.. so i took it out and the same results.

honestly, FU MS for this. i am going to sell this one, and i am not buying any of this crap anymore. you want to win the console war by selling shit systems. fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. i hope you lose " this" war and get the ^$%$ out with your shitty products.

i was so happy i bought the nyko cooler and 2 controllers and i was really having fun. but #$@# this"

I thought I was alone till I read this thread...

I got the red ring of death on Saturday.

Called MS.

My warranty expired. $129 song and dance.

I'm like screw it.

I'll just sell my games and chalk up the $400 hit to experience.

I'm DEFINITELY not buying PS3 at launch now. I'll wait till they sort things out.

This is ridiculous.

This is the first game machine I've ever had break on me, going back to Colecovision.

Pissed doesn't even begin to describe how I'm feeling...

AZ Greg

ryutaro's mama said:
I thought I was alone till I read this thread...

I got the red ring of death on Saturday.

Called MS.

My warranty expired. $129 song and dance.

I'm like screw it.

I'll just sell my games and chalk up the $400 hit to experience.

I'm DEFINITELY not buying PS3 at launch now. I'll wait till they sort things out.

This is ridiculous.

This is the first game machine I've ever had break on me, going back to Colecovision.

Pissed doesn't even begin to describe how I'm feeling...

Call MS back and ask to speak with a supervisor. Explain your situation and they'll drop the price of repair to $32.50 (Shipping) and give you 2 years warranty for only $40. If you bitch some more you may be able to get a game or some marketplace points. Don't just take the loss.

AZ Greg said:
Call MS back and ask to speak with a supervisor. Explain your situation and they'll drop the price of repair to $32.50 (Shipping) and give you 2 years warranty for only $40. If you bitch some more you may be able to get a game or some marketplace points. Don't just take the loss.

Is that what you did?

If so, how long did it take to get yours back?

Have you had any further problems?

Thanks!

Danthrax said:
No, they both basically mean the same thing.

I don't know if they have that exact meaning everywhere, but in Germany warranty is what the laws offer you. So you have a 2 years warranty on a X360 for example. Guaranty on the other hand is something offered by the producer of the product (i.e. it isn't offered by law, it's a service [that may cost you money] by the producer).

AZ Greg

ryutaro's mama said:
Is that what you did?

If so, how long did it take to get yours back?

Have you had any further problems?

Thanks!

Yeah, I called just like you and the first person I talked to said $129. I called back later and asked to speak with a supervisor. Ths supervisor said I had been charged too much and the charge should really be $32.50 which is for shipping. He then said to call once I got my new console and they would give me a two year extended warranty for $39.99.

I haven't gotten mine back yet, I haven't even sent it out yet! :lol This all happened last Thursday or so and with the weekend and holiday its only been a few working days since they sent the box. I should have it tomm. (Wed.) and then I'll send it right out and should have it back mid to late next week.

And if I do have further problems I'm gonna start demanding more stuff! :)

Anyanka

I am on my 3rd. It's beyond frustrating. If this third one breaks I am not paying anything, not even shipping. I don't care if it's past warrenty. This is ridiculous.

I never got a free game or anything like that. It's cool they do that if you bitch but you shouldn't have to. There is obviously a major problem, they should be fixing all of them for free. I can't believe you have to talk to a supervisor to get a free game or a free replacement. It almost seems like fraud or something, like they're only saying it's 130 to get it fixed because most people will just accept it.

AZ Greg said:
Yeah, I called just like you and the first person I talked to said $129. I called back later and asked to speak with a supervisor. Ths supervisor said I had been charged too much and the charge should really be $32.50 which is for shipping. He then said to call once I got my new console and they would give me a two year extended warranty for $39.99.

I haven't gotten mine back yet, I haven't even sent it out yet! :lol This all happened last Thursday or so and with the weekend and holiday its only been a few working days since they sent the box. I should have it tomm. (Wed.) and then I'll send it right out and should have it back mid to late next week.

And if I do have further problems I'm gonna start demanding more stuff! :)

Sounds good.. BTW, When I said I'd just take the hit, I meant on principal alone I wasn't giving them $129.

Anyway, thanks for your help. I'll try that.

EGM92

You guys should add your stories to the X360 defects thread, it's pretty big. You think 3 is bad? :lol you ain't got nothing on me! Not like thats a good thing.

They never offer you anything upfront, at least not to me and a couple of other people I know who've had to deal with them. I had to request compensation and even then they were jerking me around saying "I'm not sure we can do that I'll have to ask my supervisor" etc.

Arne, our local MS PR agent has been very helpul with my problems. He even got people who know what they're talking about to contact me and help me, not some worthless punk who reads off a sheet of paper and is stumped if my situation isn't listed in his handbook.

llTll

Banned
Anyanka said:
I am on my 3rd. It's beyond frustrating. If this third one breaks I am not paying anything, not even shipping. I don't care if it's past warrenty. This is ridiculous.

I never got a free game or anything like that. It's cool they do that if you bitch but you shouldn't have to. There is obviously a major problem, they should be fixing all of them for free. I can't believe you have to talk to a supervisor to get a free game or a free replacement. It almost seems like fraud or something, like they're only saying it's 130 to get it fixed because most people will just accept it.

You are in your third but i cant i aceept it and isecond died [ not repair. totally new console. the date of the last one was made in frigging April. ]

i am sorry but while the xbox 360 is a good system. its not like WOW amazing that push me [ force me ] to get another console. its just a good system.

now if MS trying to get 10 millions out by frigging dead consoles, then sorry, i am not intrested. and i wish i learned from my first mistake. but thats it.

flash news MS, Xbox 360 is not a PS2 where WE have to buy the system again. and its NOT a PS3 either.

tasos

llTll said:
i cant accept this i am sorry. you are in your third but i cant i aceept it and my second died [ not repair. totally new console. the date the last made was frigging April. ]

i am sorry but while the xbox 360 is a good system. its not like WOW amazing that push me [ force me ] to get another console. its just a good system.

now if MS trying to get 10 millions out by frigging dead consoles, then sorry, i am not intrested. and i wish i learned from my first mistake. but thats it.

flash news MS, Xbox 360 is not a PS2 where WE have to buy the system again. and its NOT a PS3 either.

OK we got it , you won't get another X360 . Goodbye then , you'll be missed.

Well guys, my launch 360 just died. Going to give MS a call and go through the whole song and dance routine to get the price of the repairs reduced. Wish me luck.

I have a question: I bought my Core 360 from Wal-Mart about a month after it launched, is there anyway I can still buy the extended warrenty?

Top Bottom