• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So My 360 Just Died, But At Least I Get 25% Off The Repair!

AZ Greg

I think I'm gonna call back tomm. and complain until I get it fixed for free or only have to pay for shipping.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
I think my 360 was blessed by Jesus himself, because it was manufactured on 9-27-05, bought it at launch and I've had no problems with it so far. Good thing too, because I didn't buy a warranty. Damnit. I probably just jinxed myself.

newsguy

AZ Greg said:
I think I'm gonna call back tomm. and complain until I get it fixed for free or only have to pay for shipping.

Be grateful they gave you that! I just got mine back which I paid full price for, I wish this thread would have been available back then. It isn't my 360 either, it looks and smells brand new but it was manufactured in 10/05 so I'm guessing it's a refurb unit.

TheGrue

mosaic said:
Mine refuses to boot-up on the first attempt, but works fine thereafter. I know my days/months are numbered... but at least I won't be paying to fix it or ship it to-from.

Mine did that, too, but I sent it back to them and they replaced it. The new one doesn't do that.

gkryhewy

I posted a couple of weeks ago about this. 360 from December, suddenly started with freezing/red lights of death, MS wanted $129 but generously offered 25% off.

Doing some research online, I found this procedure (LINK) for some diagnosis of the red light cause.

My code of doom was 0020, which another google search revealed might be associated with a power source (not PSU, but source) issue. I left the 360 unplugged and PSU unplugged for 24 hours and when I reconnected it, I did so directly to the wall rather than the cheap power strip I'd been using. It's been about two weeks, with not a hint of problems! Haven't had to pay MS' ransom.

I bought an intercooler for good measure.

I also learned that VISA automatically extends factory warranty coverage to double the original length for most banks' cards. I think it's called VISA warranty manager. Didn't help me, as my failure happened like 3 days beyond 6 months (i.e. double the factory 3 months). But it might be useful for someone else.

Piper Az

Is the 360 the most faulty console in the history of videogamig? It may be so.

They should seriously have at least 1 yr warranty on these guys.

ibu said:
1 yr European warranty FTW

having to live in Europe FTL.

anyway, im glad i got the 2 year warrenty. Only $50 which, on a $400 purchase, isn't that bad. Its good to know i'll be set for the next 2 years if anything happens. And its much better than the MS policy in that its a REPLACEMENT plan. If it f*cks up i just take it into the store and they give me a new one, instead of having to deal with sending it off for repairs and waiting on it to be sent back.

AZ Greg

gkrykewy said:
I posted a couple of weeks ago about this. 360 from December, suddenly started with freezing/red lights of death, MS wanted $129 but generously offered 25% off.

Doing some research online, I found this procedure (LINK) for some diagnosis of the red light cause.

My code of doom was 0020, which another google search revealed might be associated with a power source (not PSU, but source) issue. I left the 360 unplugged and PSU unplugged for 24 hours and when I reconnected it, I did so directly to the wall rather than the cheap power strip I'd been using. It's been about two weeks, with not a hint of problems! Haven't had to pay MS' ransom.

I bought an intercooler for good measure.

I also learned that VISA automatically extends factory warranty coverage to double the original length for most banks' cards. I think it's called VISA warranty manager. Didn't help me, as my failure happened like 3 days beyond 6 months (i.e. double the factory 3 months). But it might be useful for someone else.

Thanks for the link.

I get 0102 "unknown error - littereally means the console does not know what is wrong." :lol

Kittonwy said:
Is there anyone whose xbox360 hasn't broken yet? Are you guys crossing your fingers?
Mine sometimes has to be turned off and on three or four times to get it to actually boot up, but it hasn't completely crapped out yet.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
acousticvan said:
X360:
-------------$399
-------------$200(4-year live service)
---------------$50(1-year extended warranty x4 if want it to last 4 years)
-------------$100(HD-DVD)
Total------- $749

Stop crying about PS3's price.

Seriously mate stop further tarnishing the other junior members.

****in Moron

P.S my 360 is fine but it is Australian launch so only 3 months old, I think most of the kinks have been worked out.

Sucks if you got an old system because the refurbished unit you would get as a replacement if hardly going to be reliable. IMO this is why some people had 3+ systems.

acousticvan said:
X360:
-------------$399
-------------$200(4-year live service)
---------------$50(1-year extended warranty x4 if want it to last 4 years)
-------------$100(HD-DVD)
Total------- $749

Stop crying about PS3's price.

Why is this here?

Somebody ban him.

Spike

I won my 360 in that Pepsi contest, and haven't had any troubles. *knocks on wood* But, then again, I hardly ever use it.

It's been getting a workout over the past few days as I've been playing Hulk and Winning Eleven 9 on it nonstop. Hope it holds out...

Anyways, I did contact MS about purchasing extended warranty in February and was told that my warranty had been extended until August 1, and that I could call back anytime before then and purchase the warranty at that time. They better not give me any trouble, because lord help whoever gets to deal with me. I always get what I want.

Honestly though, there should be a class action lawsuit against MS about this issue. Hell, there should have been one after the Thompson DVD fiasco with the original Xbox. Look what happened when Sony was sued and lost. They started offering 1 year warranties for the PSP and PSTwo...

gkryhewy

AZ Greg said:
Thanks for the link.

I get 0102 "unknown error - littereally means the console does not know what is wrong." :lol

Well, it was worth a shot! I'd try the 'leaving disconnected' thing anyway (can't hurt).

bill0527

Spike said:
Honestly though, there should be a class action lawsuit against MS about this issue. Hell, there should have been one after the Thompson DVD fiasco with the original Xbox. Look what happened when Sony was sued and lost. They started offering 1 year warranties for the PSP and PSTwo...

http://ps2settlement.com/

Here's the attorneys that handled it. Somebody needs to contact them and get this shit straightened out and stick their asses on Microsoft before my launch unit dies.

Plaintiffs’ Attorneys for the United States:
Philip A. Tortoreti, Esq.
Tortoreti Tomes & Callahan, P.C.
150 Tices Lane
East Brunswick, NJ 08816

Web: www.TTCLawyers.com
Tel: (732) 257-9100

Jonathan Shub, Esq.
Sheller Ludwig & Badey, P.C.
1528 Walnut Street, 3rd Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19102

Web: www.Sheller.com
Tel: (215) 790-7300

Plaintiffs’ Attorneys for Canada:
Harvin D. Pitch, Esq.
Stevenson and Associates
70 Bond Street, Suite 200
Toronto, Ontario
M5B 1X3

Tel: (416) 865-5310

Kevin D. Sherkin, Esq. and Morris Barmheriz, Esq.
Levine Sherkin Boussidan
4211 Yonge Street, Suite 200
Toronto, Ontario
M2P 2A9

Web: www.lsblaw.com
Tel: (416) 224-2400

Flo_Evans

I've had mine for a month without serious problems. Fight Night did lock up on me once (scarry!) but I don't know if it was the game or the 360 :p

Jeez. These threads really bum me out. I want a 360 very much, but it seems to be having more widespread problems than any console I've seen thus far... possibly worse than the PS2. I'm trying to hold out for a hardware revision or two...

Nutter, what's Costco's deal with warranty's? I have one near me, but I've never shopped there.

Anyone calling with a problem concerning their 360 should see how far they can get first, if MS won't budge, then mention everything in Bill0527's post.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Lord Helmet said:
Jeez. These threads really bum me out. I want a 360 very much, but it seems to be having more widespread problems than any console I've seen thus far... possibly worse than the PS2. I'm trying to hold out for a hardware revision or two...
I'm not sure if these things are failing as much as early PS2s did, but it's certainly happening a lot faster, on average. 360s are dying after just a few months, whereas it was about a year after launch that the DRE stuff with PS2s got really bad. Seriously, for those of us lucky enough to not have any problems, is it just a matter of time? I'm glad I got that warranty.

Barnolde

Banned
Hopefully MS learns not to rush their next system. 360 = PS2, lots of hardware faults, software droughts, blah. My replacement 360 has been pretty iffy.

X26

Banned
Lord Helmet said:

It's not all bad

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6148098.html?page=9

Hopefully these units, when availiable, will have none of the problems that are so common now

6 months is too short for a warranty.
My original xbox broke after the warranty ran out. Everytime I would plug it in, sparks would come out and it wouldnt turn on. The solder on a point on the power supply was burnt away. Luckily, I was able to simply resolder the point and it worked again perfectly.

Lord Helmet said:
Nutter, what's Costco's deal with warranty's? I have one near me, but I've never shopped there.

basically, as long as you have a reciept, you can return anything whenever you want for almost any reason. The only problem might be that Costco regularly sells videogames in bundles (system + controller + a few games) Don't know if this is currently the case with the 360, but if they do, and your 360 breaks down a year and a half from now, they might ask for EVERYTHING that came with the system back if you want to return it.

JB1981

Lord Helmet said:

Anyone calling with a problem concerning their 360 should see how far they can get first, if MS won't budge, then mention everything in Bill0527's post.

Lifetime warranty on all products. No questions asked return policy. Seriously. It's true. Not some cruel e-joke. Hopefully it's where I'll be buying a PS3.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
These initial 360s are worthless. We have two in the household; both have had to be sent in for repairs (one multiple times). I hate that they replace your recent build model with something manufactured a month or two before launch.

psy18

I'm planning to buy one, but I'm quite worried because there's no official Xbox360 support in my country (or any other consoles).

Nearest 360 support from my place will be around 1.5 hours flight. :lol

Well, maybe I'll just wait for MS to revise the 360 hardware (I've heard about it somewhere) and see how well it is....

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I had read about the change to a 65mm process chip a while back... only problem is that we won't really see those units until sometime in early to mid 2007 I believe, and I'm not prepared to wait that long. I've made it this far... some good games are down to $30-40, and some great stuff is coming out for the holidays (gotta get my next gen hockey fix). I'll end up picking up a 360 soon, as well as a Wii (at launch) with Zelda and Metroid. I'll hold off on the PS3 until a price drop, and some AAA games hit.

I'll definately pick up a 360 at Costco. I don't mind a bundle as long as it comes with something useful...

In the 360's defense, I may not have read about the PS2 problems as much because I wasn't on the net nearly as much when the PS2 came out... I didn't even own one until about a year after launch. Since then I have sent my PS2 into Sony for repairs (once), and I ended up owning two PS1's... Either way, the PS2, and 360 problems are both rather excessive.

Foil

My launch 360 has started locking up more times than I can count in the past week, but still no 3 red rings. I've been hoping to see them asap so I can take this thing back and get a new one.

Barnolde

Banned
I just saw a 360 Premium bundle at Costco for $490; it came with an extra wireless controller and PGR3 and a play and charge kit (which is basically free).

EGM92

I just seen this thread.

As being the one member of GAF who's on his 7th console, I'd like to welcome you personally to the "family".

Bitch bitch bitch till you get it repaired for free.

AZ Greg

A little update. I called back and instead of paying full price for the repair they are only charging me a small amount for shipping and they are giving me a 2 year extended warranty for about $40.

Not bad I guess. :\

Foil

:lol

Well, just went to go turn my 360 on to download the Prey demo, and I was greeted with the 3 red rings of death. 7 months it lasted, and there were stretches where I didn't even touch the system because of being in another city for weeks at a time.

Ah well, off to EB tomorrow. First time I've been screwed with a launch system.

-Rogue5-

AZ Greg said:
A little update. I called back and instead of paying full price for the repair they are only charging me a small amount for shipping and they are giving me a 2 year extended warranty for about $40.

Not bad, but still kinda BS. I mean, sure it's awesome that MS is replacing it for $40 with the 2year warranty, but the hassle of having to replace a $500 console still isn't cool. I only bring this up because there are people like EGM92 who are on their SEVENTH console... that's just retarded. What's worse is that MS still say the failure ratio is still within acceptable limits. Out of the six of my friends that bought a 360 so far, four have failed. While that obviously that isn't the norm, it still paints a pretty bad picture. In my (admittedly limited) experience, there is no way the failure rate of the 360 is only 3-5%.

EGM92

AZ Greg said:

If you're getting the red lights of doom you should bitch till you get it for free, don't take no for an answer and keep calling till you get your way.

JB1981

-Rogue5- said:
Not bad, but still kinda BS. I mean, sure it's awesome that MS is replacing it for $40 with the 2year warranty, but the hassle of having to replace a $500 console still isn't cool. I only bring this up because there are people like EGM92 who are on their SEVENTH console... that's just retarded. What's worse is that MS still say the failure ratio is still within acceptable limits. Out of the six of my friends that bought a 360 so far, four have failed. While that obviously that isn't the norm, it still paints a pretty bad picture. In my (admittedly limited) experience, there is no way the failure rate of the 360 is only 3-5%.

Seventh? I'd have given up after the first.

Nick

Thread is seriously depressing. I knew it was smart to wait for the 360. It felt SO freaking rushed. I was right. :)

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Just called MS about my 2nd replacement 360. They agreed to give me a truly brand new 360 (not the usual 10/31/05 refurb) and compensated me with another game (got Kameo a couple of weeks ago; opted for PGR3 this time). I am officially impressed with MS customer support.

Az987

all good things
Had mine since dec. with no problems so far and considering I ****ing waited in line a full day to get it, if this POS breaks im going to like blow up bill gates ****ing house if they try to charge me 130$

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I got mine on launch day and it hasn't had an issue yet, but if it goes....I don't know, but I am gonna get it repaired free. I can bitch with the best of them over the phone.

I haven't had any problems except like 2 freezes while playing Oblivion. Hopefully it stays that way. I love my 360 and use it all the time.

btw, does watching movies on the 360 shorten the life by any enormous amount of time?

Angelus said:
I won't touch a new console without a protection plan. Too many times I've been left with this terrible sinking feeling after an electronic device has died. I would rather have peace of mind by having the component covered than to go through that shit early on in its life.

seriously. i wouldnt even consider a psp or 360 purchase without this.

Seth C

X26 said:
Is this GameFAQs? The whole "people just pretend to own faulty 360's!!!" argument is over-used by xbox fanboys, and the fact is there is that there IS an issue with the quality of the launch 360's. How big an issue, well who knows, but it SEEMS significant.

Or the people with faulty ones complain more. Yes, there is a problem with some of them, but for all the complaining, I can also say that I know 4 people at work with 360s, aside from myself, and none of us have had problems with them.

gkryhewy

AZ Greg said:

Is there anything in particular you said to get a better deal? I'd love that deal if mine's resurrection turns out to be temporary.

AZ Greg

gkrykewy said:
Is there anything in particular you said to get a better deal? I'd love that deal if mine's resurrection turns out to be temporary.

I called back and explained that I wasn't happy with the repair price I had been told earlier and the customer service person told me they couldn't do anything. So I asked to speak with a supervisor and they said ok. The first thing the supervisor said was I'm looking at what you were charged and you were charged too much. He then said he would only charge $32.50 for shipping and give me a two year extended warranty for $40.

One funny thing he said when I asked him if this has been a big problem (Even though I know it is, I just wanted his answer) he said yeah and especially in the last few days to couple weeks. He said it's almost like a check engine light and everybodys is coming on right now! :lol

Also, even if you were already charged and you call now and speak with a supervisor you should be able to get the difference between the original charge and the $32.50 credited back to you card. :)

Top Bottom