• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So no rumble eh? How big of an impact is this? Does it depend on the genre?

No, this is not the 233,923rd 'let's hate on sony' for not having rumble in.

That's not the point of discussion. Rather, I'm more curious as to how this will affect your personal tastes when it comes to games, and which genres will suffer the most?

I think the biggest hits will obviously come in the racing and fps genre -- two genres might I add that seem to be the hardest to incorperate tilt function into (compartively spoken, to lets say a flight game).

Reason being is because a lot of the time when playing games in those genres you are more pressing and holding a button rather than tapping it. And in a game where you are constantly tapping and swithing buttons (a fighting or action game) that natural kinetic motion of constantly tapping the buttons sort of simulates a rumble in-itself. Obviously nothing is 'rumbling' -- but the constant tapping provides an analagous, physical movement. Certainly (at the least) more so than pressing and holding a button and only occasionally altering the direction via the analog stick.

And the next thing to inquire -- is how much does rumble matter? I'm sure this topic has been raised before but now that we've had the chance to see some ps3 games in motion and actually have had a few GAFFers have hands on time with the controller / the games, I think it's more of appropiate time to ask this. Does rumble matter to you? When you look back at it , is rumble more of a thing that sure, you notice -- but you really don't care for. Or is it going to be one of those things that you never noticed / cared for, but now that you'll start playing games without it you'll begin to miss it more than anything?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I played PS3 at TGS, and I had a few concerns about the controller. First, without rumble, the controller is HELLA LIGHT now. It feels too flimsy and breakable. It was akin to the original Creative Labs Rio mp3 players that used flash memory. No weights in the unit made it felt cheap and flimsy.

I was playing Front Mission 5 last night, and noticed I cringed when a missile hit one of my mechs, and the controller shook. Granted, shit like this has been going on for YEARS, but it came to my attention that soon, playstation games would no longer have that tactile feedback when something happens.

I don`t need it, but it made a pretty big different when I played Heavenly Sword. I didn`t feel like I was really controlling the game. Lack of rumble in each slice ftl.

MrPonx

Rumble is good.. but it didn't stop me from using my WaveBird...

still... I never played Metroid with a WaveBird for the same reason

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
MrPonx said:
Rumble is good.. but it didn't stop me from using my WaveBird...

still... I never played Metroid with a WaveBird for the same reason

Hmm, that`s true. I play all my Gamecube games with a wavebird. Guess it`s not as important as I had thought....

Kangu

Banned
This topic is destined to utter, miserable, and complete failure.

So I suggest we talk about the Dreamcast! It was pretty awesome and it LIVES!

Aaron

I won't play a brawler without rumble.

For a quick example, play Dead Rising and do the jump kick, first slamming into the skull of a zombie, and then just hitting dead air. Better yet, do it with the sound off. The animation is the same for the kick, but that little jolt of the controller makes it feel so different.

Bearillusion said:
I will play GT5 with a wheel that has rumble.

_1448651_gt3creator_300.jpg

Gigglepoo

The soul stealing in Unknown Realms looks fantastic. I think it would be even cooler if the controller rumbled. I'm crossing my fingers that Sony will straighten this out in the next month.

Aaron said:
I won't play a brawler without rumble.

For a quick example, play Dead Rising and do the jump kick, first slamming into the skull of a zombie, and then just hitting dead air. Better yet, do it with the sound off. The animation is the same for the kick, but that little jolt of the controller makes it feel so different.

Or a Free Throw in 2K7.
Or a Line Shot in Table Tennis.
Or play Uno and read a book at the same time.

I mean, really, there are eight zillion rumble applications. When it's available, its impact is immesurable. The question is how much do you miss it when it's gone. Probably, rarely.

Pretty much depends on how it was use in the game.But for sure i'll miss how it was in the MGS series for example.Or how they can clue you when your in search of something with a small rumble.Or simulating a heartbeat was also kinda cool with it.Pretty much,I like the feature.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
The first game I ever really noticed how awesome rumble was was the first MGS. The thought of MGS4 being designed without it makes me more than a bit sad.

Angelcurio

To be honest, rumble was a good part of the controllers that ended up being badly used in most games.

I can recall that i really enjoyed rumble in games like Metal Gear, Gran Turismo and Shadow of the Colossus. On the other hand, for the vast majority of games i had to turn down rumble.

Well, rumble ins't obviously strictly necessary, like 5.1 sound or having an HD set, but it adds more feeling to the game. You can do without it, but with it you get a more immersive experience. I think it's much better having it.

adg1034

Well, I haven't played it on a console, but from what I've heard, the Indonesia level in Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow relied on rumble to indicate where the land mines are. If true, too bad for catch-up gamers.

Aaron

BenjaminBirdie said:
I mean, really, there are eight zillion rumble applications. When it's available, its impact is immesurable. The question is how much do you miss it when it's gone. Probably, rarely.
Maybe I'm the minority, but I'm sure to miss it, and notice when it's not used much in a game, or used improperly. To me, it's actually more important than 5.1 sound because it brings the game experience closer to something tangible.

Aeana

I started actively turning off rumble in games. It is used far too liberally in many PS2 games, and it drives me up the wall. There are times in games when I had to put the controller down because the rumbling was making my hands numb.

I cannot think of any instances where it is actually necessary, but in some games it is nice to have some feedback, I guess.

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
Calling it rumble is stupid. It's vibration. Vibration is stupid. I always thought it was the most useless, overused gimmick in videogames and frankly, I'm glad to see the PS3 omit it. Now if they'd get rid of the motion sensors, things would be swell.

my general feelin toward it is an "aww, haha, aww.."

we can live without it, tho i'd still want it in my scary games like fatal frame.

----

Banned
Bearillusion said:
I completed PGR2 with rumble switched off. I will play GT5 with a wheel that has rumble.

Will developers continue to program rumble support into their games if the official controller does not support it?

If the developer doesn't program the force feedback into the game a controller can't just add it.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
There are rare times when rumble was used well, and it was cool. (Metal Gear Sold 2 comes to mind immediately) But for the most part it was wasted and annoying.
It's also nice in things like Uno on XBLA where it "buzzes" you to let you know your turn.

---- said:
Will developers continue to program rumble support into their games if the official controller does not support it?

If the developer doesn't program the force feedback into the game a controller can't just add it.

Are you doubting that PD will support the next Logitech wheel? I'm not.

---- said:

Yes

gthd01.jpg

It became known through GT4's development that they were designing the game for the wheel first and controller second. I'd imagine this will be no different. That's how it should be for all games instead of having to have racing fans wonder if devs will even support a wheel for their game.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i like rumble in racing games -- it can communicate the traction of your wheels if it's done right. but if i notice it anywhere else, i usually find it annoying. the other day i was playing sf2 with a pad on my 360 cos i was too lazy to plug in my joystick, and that really brought out how silly and pointless most games' rumble implementations are.

pilonv1

Rockstar Presents Table Tennis is the BEST implementation of rumble I've experienced yet. I wonder how you'd convey it as well otherwise - it's such a fast game that audio/visual clues might not let you react in time, but the vibration in the controller works brilliantly.

Uno and Poker are other good examples, but nothing will beat the usage in Table Tennis.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
SolidSnakex said:
It became known through GT4's development that they were designing the game for the wheel first and controller second. I'd imagine this will be no different. That's how it should be for all games instead of having to have racing fans wonder if devs will even support a wheel for their game.

But most racing game players, and I mean the vast majority, play with a controller. So I would argue that equal merit should be given to how it plays with a pad. Elite players should be accomodated, but not at the expense of the majority.

I like rumble in shooters - not for guns, but for hit detection. It lets you know when you're taking fire in certain scenarios, and even from which direction - and it can be huge.

Stinkles said:
But most racing game players, and I mean the vast majority, play with a controller. So I would argue that equal merit should be given to how it plays with a pad. Elite players should be accomodated, but not at the expense of the majority.

My point is that the controller is never going to be neglected. It's always going to be supported with every single racer, while with each new racing games its always a question of whether or not they're going to support a wheel. And often times the answer is no. So making it a priority really wouldn't hurt the players that use controllers. GT4 worked fine with controllers, but if you had a wheel you got a different experience.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
SolidSnakex said:
My point is that the controller is never going to be neglected. It's always going to be supported with every single racer, while with each new racing games its always a question of whether or not they're going to support a wheel. And often times the answer is no. So making it a priority really wouldn't hurt the players that use controllers. GT4 worked fine with controllers, but if you had a wheel you got a different experience.

Then sir, I'm afraid you leave me with no choice but to agree with you.

Kangu

Banned
Stinkles said:
I like rumble in shooters - not for guns, but for hit detection. It lets you know when you're taking fire in certain scenarios, and even from which direction - and it can be huge.

But you know many of the best shooters are on the P...C... aw **** it. who cares.

Grayman

I'll play my serious racing games with a wheel. Something like motorstorm could be a problem but really good sound design and settings could communicate traction and collision well enough.

I think tilt could be great for motorbike games as a pro-mode setting. Car racing, not so much, futuristic racing it could be used just like flight games. Action games? well God of war has the wave the stick around to shake off enemies, that would be better as tilt!

I'll miss well used rumble like MGS but otherwise I hardly notice the stuff. If I turned off my rumble in most games I wouldn't notice, especially since everyone toned it down after that kid who played GT1 15 hours a day sued for losing feeling.

On the note of FPSs, I want a PC keyboard with pressure sensitive WASD keys and FF on them.

Sho Nuff said:
Resistance felt VERY lacking without the rumble at TGS, especially with the bitchin guns you get to carry.

This was what I was afraid of.

In a way, I have a gut feeling Sony is going to put rumble in.

I don't know, it's like -- people backlashed at the crazy banana controller design. Sony changed it back. People complained no HDMI in the shitty pack, Sony changed it. People complained PS3 too expensive, Sony changed it (well, at least in Japan), and now you can't go without one interview where people bitch about a lack of rumble.

Without a doubt, I'm sure we'll see 3rd party controllers with vibration features, and considering it shouldn't be too difficult to incorperate vibration into games, developers (at least not those working on launch games) could put it in.

Another reason is that considering more and more games are going multi, to not have rumble is yet another incentive for a consumer to pick up the 360 vision (considering the visuals will and most likely be identical.)

C- Warrior said:
This was what I was afraid of.

In a way, I have a gut feeling Sony is going to put rumble in.

I don't know, it's like -- people backlashed at the crazy banana controller design. Sony changed it back. People complained no HDMI in the shitty pack, Sony changed it. People complained PS3 too expensive, Sony changed it (well, at least in Japan), and now you can't go without one interview where people bitch about a lack of rumble.

Without a doubt, I'm sure we'll see 3rd party controllers with vibration features, and considering it shouldn't be too difficult to incorperate vibration into games, developers (at least not those working on launch games) could put it in.

Well there hasn't been anywhere near as much backlash against rumble as the issues you mentioned. Well unless you include all the complaining Immersion has done, but Sony's probably getting a kick out of that.

SolidSnakex said:
Well there hasn't been anywhere near as much backlash against rumble as the issues you mentioned. Well unless you include all the complaining Immersion has done, but Sony's probably getting a kick out of that.

Yeah, that's true.

...false hope indeed. Don't let me down Sony.

Kangu

Banned
SolidSnakex said:

How do you figure? Immersion is definitely making the PS3 look bad in the eyes of some consumers, and the multimillion dollar lawsuit to go along with the FUD campaign certainly isn't anything to be getting a kick out of.

Top Bottom