• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So no rumble eh? How big of an impact is this? Does it depend on the genre?

comrade

I've been testing NBA 07 on PS3. I honestly don't even realize their isn't any rumble. Main thing I do realize is how light the controller is, not really in a negative or a positive way though. It's just light. I like the new L2/R2 buttons though.

cvxfreak

C-Warrior, what's your take on rumble in the DMC series?

For the RE series (and I guess survival horror in general), I think it's important and while it may seem drastic or unnecessary to some people, I hold the firm belief that if RE5 is virtually the same on both platforms with rumble being the basic difference, then why would I want to play the game on the PS3? I think rumble helps. I'll never forget the first stair sequence in RECV that just isn't as good without rumble. Likewise, it's pretty hard for me to play the original RE1 and RE2 due to lack of rumble; thankfully Capcom re-released those, and I was hoping REDS would support the rumble pack, though it didn't. (And no, adding a half-assed shaking motion isn't going to make up for it).

i was playing saint's row last night, and i was driving in the wooded area near the airport and realized the ps3 wouldn't rumble, and then i started to notice just how much i loved rumble again...

MGS on PSX sold me on rumble, sony is retarded for taking it away... well, at least the PS3 has an ethernet port, amirite?

the #2 reason i skipped the wavebird: no rumble.

multiplatform games will automatically be 360 for me due to rumble...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
th only genre i think i'd really miss it in would be racing... thankfully i have a DFP :)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
AniHawk said:
Remember how the N64 went with carts?

This is worse.

:lol

I <3 you, Anihawk.

cvxfreak said:
C-Warrior, what's your take on rumble in the DMC series?

For the RE series (and I guess survival horror in general), I think it's important and while it may seem drastic or unnecessary to some people, I hold the firm belief that if RE5 is virtually the same on both platforms with rumble being the basic difference, then why would I want to play the game on the PS3? I think rumble helps. I'll never forget the first stair sequence in RECV that just isn't as good without rumble. Likewise, it's pretty hard for me to play the original RE1 and RE2 due to lack of rumble; thankfully Capcom re-released those, and I was hoping REDS would support the rumble pack, though it didn't. (And no, adding a half-assed shaking motion isn't going to make up for it).

The more the game demands from you (more buttons to press, more things on the screen) the less impact the lack of rumble has.

C4Lukins

Rumble impacts me in this way. I will buy a PS3, but any game that is cross platform and comprable graphically and gameplay wise between the 360 and PS3, I will buy for the 360. I was playing with my Wavebird the other day and realized how lifeless the controller felt without the functionality. It is strange how much immersion a vibrating controller in your hands can add, but it is there.

gbovo said:

Well, that's just how I figure it. If your playing an action game (as CVX, asked -- DMC for instance) you're dodging, shooting, slashing, jumping, rolling etc., which is a lot of kinetic movement which initself might as well be rumble considering how much impact your making on the controller.

But for a FPS, where your moving with small, percesion based movements via the analog sticks and mostly pressing and holding the trigger button to shoot, that's not a lot of kinetic movement so any 'self-induced' "rumble" won't be as impactful as playing an action game.

It's worse felt for racing games imo.

C4Lukins

C- Warrior said:
Well, that's just how I figure it. If your playing an action game (as CVX, asked -- DMC for instance) you're dodging, shooting, slashing, jumping, rolling etc., which is a lot of kinetic movement which initself might as well be rumble considering how much impact your making on the controller.

But for a FPS, where your moving with small, percesion based movements via the analog sticks and mostly pressing and holding the trigger button to shoot, that's not a lot of kinetic movement so any 'self-induced' "rumble" won't be as impactful as playing an action game.

It's worse felt for racing games imo.

Racing and FPS games are definetly where the lack of rumble is going to take away from the experience. With an RPG or action game, it isn't going to be such a big deal. Racing and FPS games though are the genres where the feedback actually lends itself to the game, and actually gives you non visual cues that can help you out. Feeling a drift, feeling the wheels starting to leave the road, feeling acceleration. Feeling yourself being shot from behind, or feeling the guns you are shooting as you shoot them.

Tony HoTT

Banned
Rumble in the PS3 controller should really be a no brainer. While not exactly the same, the WarioWare Twisted gyro gameplay would just not be the same without that feedback. It really felt like nothing I've ever experienced in a game before. Just the combination of gyros and vibration stimulating my.... oh my.

*splat

But seriously Sony should've taken another cue from Nintendo since their controller has tilt functions.

gbovo

C- Warrior said:
Io be honest, I tried playing a bunch of PS2 games recently with vibration switched off to see if I would miss it. If I didn't think about it's absence, I didn't miss it; if I did think about it's absence.......

...... I still didn't miss it :lol What can I say, rumble just isn't a selling point for me. If a game is good, the presence/absence of rumble isnt going to change that, and vice versa.

gbovo said:
Io be honest, I tried playing a bunch of PS2 games recently with vibration switched off to see if I would miss it. If I didn't think about it's absence, I didn't miss it; if I did think about it's absence.......

...... I still didn't miss it :lol What can I say, rumble just isn't a selling point for me. If a game is good, the presence/absence of rumble isnt going to change that, and vice versa.

I get where you're going.

I was playing some Doom over XBLA today, and it took me about 3 hours of play to realize the controller wasn't vibrating -- for some reason, I always thought IT WAS vibrating, like my mind was pulling some scyzo shit on me and imagining it rumbling. But the funny thing is -- when I realized that it wasn't vibrating it was all I could dwell on and it really began to piss me off :lol

Cronox

Banned
I feel sorry for the people who will be playing Ninja Gaiden Sigma without rumble, considering how well used it was in the original. And during the cutscenes too.

Sho Nuff

Banned
C- Warrior said:
I get where you're going.

I was playing some Doom over XBLA today, and it took me about 3 hours of play to realize the controller wasn't vibrating -- for some reason, I always thought IT WAS vibrating, like my mind was pulling some scyzo shit on me and imagining it rumbling. But the funny thing is -- when I realized that it wasn't vibrating it was all I could dwell on and it really began to piss me off :lol

I noticed the lack of rumble as soon as I fired the chaingun!

At my last company I designed all the rumble effects for a game, it was actually pretty fun. You have a decent amount of control over controller kick.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Anyone who has held a PS3 controller will likely agree with me: the lack of heft in the PS3 controller only exacerbates the issue. The feather light controller only reminds you that there`s absolutely no rumble.

At least the Wavebird and 360 controllers have some weight to them.

Here`s hoping Sony adds some weights into the controller.

rastex

Banned
Rumble can be an integral part of gameplay as demonstrated in Table Tennis. The game just wouldn't work without rumble. However, there are very few games like that, just like I think there will be very few games where motion detection is a requirement.

Anyway, I personally really like rumble and feel that it adds to the overall experience, but I don't think it's a huge loss in the long run.

I love rumble when it's used as a form of notification. Like in stealth games when it tells you if you are about to be detected or Uno when it tells you your up. But I don't need rumble to tell me I'm getting my ass kicked or I just fired a weapon.

jax (old)

Banned
dunno. I don't hear many pc gamers complaining about unrumbling mouse + keyboard or cinema goers complaining about how their seats don't rumble. I personally don't mind it, but I don't miss it either. I play a lot of DS games these days and there's no rumble and I'm fine. Maybe its not such a big deal.

SOLUTION? Buy more than 1 console so you won't miss it.

Games will be built without rumble now, that's it, they will differentiate between the two consoles with motion control or rumble. I've never been a big fan of rumble and don't believe it's necessary now with the visual fidelity we've seen recently in PS3 games, the way the screen shakes in NBA 2K and Fight Night is a lot better then the controller vibrating.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
SolidSnakex said:
It's probably a bit too late to add it to the initial batch of controllers. It'll probably be added eventually though.

If we're to believe Kaz (and his motivation behind the choice of dropping rumble), maybe they'll release an alternative controller somewhere down the line that's a bit more expensive but also includes rumble.

Heh, the levels of denial flowing around here are amusing.

There isn't one person here who, if there actually was a chance in this, wouldn't have preferred having rumble in the controller.

It's part of the evolution of gaming, once its been introduced and accepted as a standard you would expect it to remain.

ps4mf6.jpg

You know its coming...

Every PC game I ever played starts with a -2 rating off the bat. No rumble mouse :( . That's why PC FPS suck nuts and a controller is better than K/B mouse.

hyp

i don't think rumble is a big deal for me personally. what's important is visual impact and audio imo. i have logitech wireless controllers for my ps2 and xbox so i'd turn of vibrate to save batteries. can't say i missed rumble much.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It makes little difference to me as I rarely notice it anymore (until I set it on the table during a cutscene and it starts knocking like a jackhammer). It does add a bit of feedback to certain games, I suppose, but it shouldn't have a particularly negative impact in the end. I've played many a PC FPS without rumble and I can live with it on the console side as well.

Dahbomb

Just tried to play a bunch of PC/Arcade games with rumble turned off... oh wait funny how that worked out. :lol

Bojangles

Grayman said:
Sony will buy the rights to that vest sega had for the genises. I wonder if it worked.

The Aura Interactor.

It sucked. Sure as the day is long. But when I use it with my buddies in a psycho-entrainment weed session with some juju african drum beats (or my custom programmed Midi-BassDrum kick at 13Hz) and a Dream Machine, it ****ing RULES.

I'm dead serious

I wont miss rumble at all. It was a kids toy effect. Rumble added next to nothing in terms of adding to the gameplay experience. Not having it won't drastically change games at all . It has next to no impact.

Tilt is way more advanced and offers much more gameplay possiblities. This is an excellent swap IMO.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I use a wireless Logitech with my PS2, so immediately turn off the rumble in every game to help the battery life.

Didn't miss it this gen, won't miss it next gen.

I can't even tell you if the X360 racing games I have, have rumble in them, I honestly don't remember.

Mrbob

I don't know how much rumble will be missed. I mean, I personally would have liked it in the controller but if the option was tilt or rumble I'll gladly take the tilt feature.

I play most of my FPS games on my PC, which has really zero rumble sources. Keyboard + mouse ftw. So I don't know why playing a controller without rumble is a big deal. The tiny motors really don't make me feel like I'm immersed into a big battle. My 5.1 system does.

I've been trying to pay close attention to rumble sources with 360 games, and right now I really don't feel a huge benefit from the rumble in the controller. The one exception I would have to say is Quake 4. While being an average game, it has the best use of rumble in a game I've seen so far.

PkunkFury

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
\Tilt is way more advanced and offers much more gameplay possiblities. This is an excellent swap IMO.

The problem is, it didn't have to be one or the other. You could have had a controller which used both. And the motion sensing will make the lack of rumble even more obvious, since a free floating controller proivdes no tactile feedback when moved past the limits the game is programmed to observed. We've already heard some people talk about how nice it feels that the Wiimote rumbles a bit when you float your cursor over clickable icons in the OS, and many of us recall how the pulses in WarioWare helped keep the device turning at proper intervals. Tilt itself is simply more advanced when coupled with rumble, and in that sense the technology will be cheated a bit.

Mrbob

Instead of discussing the lack of rumble, I would like to know when we will get a true force feedback controller?

Rumble technology has stagnated since the dual shock, and is basically the exact same thing for 10 years. Let us advance the rumble technology to offer many different levels of vibration and maybe I'll get excited about rumble again.

ronito

I'm sorry but for $600 you'd better believe I'll miss it. Rumble is an important part of taking videogames beyond just playing a game into at experieince. Believe me I played MGS without the rumble first time through, the second time it was a completely different experience. I'd accept it if it was value priced, but the PS3 is not. At the price it is it'd better do everything that it used to do. To me it's like buying an expensive sleek beautiful fast car, with no radio or ac.

PkunkFury said:
The problem is, it didn't have to be one or the other. You could have had a controller which used both. And the motion sensing will make the lack of rumble even more obvious, since a free floating controller proivdes no tactile feedback when moved past the limits the game is programmed to observed. We've already heard some people talk about how nice it feels that the Wiimote rumbles a bit when you float your cursor over clickable icons in the OS, and many of us recall how the pulses in WarioWare helped keep the device turning at proper intervals. Tilt itself is simply more advanced when coupled with rumble, and in that sense the technology will be cheated a bit.

That's a good point. With the added functionality of the six-axis movement, it would seem there are more avanues for rumble to actually have specific gameplay benefits.

An obvious example would be for the controller to rumble when you're tilting it too far one way, or for the controller to rumble when you tilt the controller to smash your dragon into another one.

SonnyBoy

I wont miss it, I can't remeber it adding anything worthwhile to any experience. You eventually become numb to it. Im not too enthused about the tilt either.

Top Bottom