• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, uh, the crazy buttocks on a train (CBOAT) is back?

hawk2025

Breaking embargos is not prophesy. Nor does it require any particular skill or insight. Ultimately he is taking or being given information and leaking it, illegally and often erroneously.

And he isn't doing it for some noble or worthy reason. He's doing it for attention.

People, including nice people with kids and families and stuff, work super hard on this stuff and wake up in the morning to find some of their effort blown up.

It's not fun, and for what? So you can have a mildly interesting surprise 8 hours early and lacking context? Or get hyped or disappointed disproportionately?

Or get someone fired or someone innocent yelled at?

Ok. But it isn't prophecy, nor ultimately even important. It's annoying.

Stinkles, I'll say something similar to what I said on the actual Halo 5 reveal thread:

This is all well and good, IF these companies were completely forthcoming and honest with us.
But they are not. They obfuscate or straight up lie through PR, hide information, and coordinate on reveals in what many markets would be considered a form of collusion. I'll use your own example: Was there any reason to obfuscate that the 2014 Halo game wasn't Halo 5, but something else? Why do we have to be able to cut through the BS to get to the actual information?

It results in a large part of the press (but not all) being part of the game industry in a bad way, rather than actually doing their jobs when they have to.

So you'll excuse me if I don't shed any tears for information leaking early; This approach to the customer by the press and publishers is what generates the CBOATs in the first place, just like in every other industry. I'm not even defending his approach to teasing or the mistake he's made in the past -- but don't expect enthusiasts to not give attention to information they are really looking forward to. In fact, this should be a good hint to all devs and publishers that perhaps they are mismanaging how information spreads.

OldRoutes

I definitely hate it when people try to cut through the bullshit in this industry, I'm not a fan of transparency, or finding out details about anything gaming related until it's told to me in a press release. Think about their livelihoods for a change, not us Cboat.

Christ, how entitled can you be? It's not transparency. How about you're about to do a surprise party and some douche just announce it to everyone before.

It just sucks.

Zomba13

Did CBOAT post anything other than the GOTG+Iron Man picture in the Halo thread? Because that, on it's own doesn't really spoil much. It hints at some news coming and something to be excited about (which we kinda got with a proper announcement of Halo 5 but no pics or trailer or anything :( ). The most people would get from that is the next halo game will have the subtitle Guardians.

I can understand being pissed at him if he leaked more like the E3 trailer or screenshots or a plot synopsis but when all the announcement was is the name, box art(?), some concept art and a bit of text saying the devs are super happy to be working on this and they want it to be the best one yet I don't think CBOAT has done much harm apart from getting some Halo fans hyped up before the offical announcement hours later.

EvB

Stinkles, I'll say the same thing I said on the actual Halo 5 reveal thread:

This is all well and good, IF these companies were completely forthcoming and honest with us.
But they are not. They obfuscate or straight up lie through PR, hide information, and coordinate on reveals in what many markets would be considered a form of collusion. I'll use your own example: Was there any reason to obfuscate that the 2014 Halo game wasn't Halo 5, but something else? Why do we have to be able to cut through the BS to get to the actual information?

Do you live on this planet? it's called Marketing.

I worded it poorly, I was referring to halo. Obviously there have been plenty of 180s (forced due to Sony's actions and now being outsold by them) but with halo I don't think they have been forced to do something halo related now. Although I guess that depends what this is and what happens at e3.

Reasoning is, if this is halo 5, why not do something related to h2a which is (presumably) this year? Doesn't really make any sense to me.

Although that again depends on what this is

Understood. I can't say one way whether or not this announcement was planned to be released now or at E3, but it shouldn't matter since it's got people excited whether now or in the future.

Bobb

It's interesting to see how fast people here will champion him and other insiders when they leak something to their liking though... heh.

People love egging on something they don't like and vice versa. I don't see what's so surprising.

Christ, how entitled can you be? It's not transparency. How about you're about to do a surprise party and some douche just announce it to everyone before.

It just sucks.
I would not compare the kinds of things he was leaking to something pleasant like a surprise party personally.

Ishida

Banned
In fact, this should be a good hint to all devs and publishers that perhaps they are mismanaging how information spreads.

This. So much this.

In fact, I would give one my my kidneys to have a Square-Enix version of CBOAT (Regarding FFXV and Kingdom Hearts III information), or a true Sony CBOAT (Someone please leak something about The Last Guardian!!)

DC1

I dont think is from CBOAT, doesnt look like his cryptic style. I tried though:

Fanboy [banning?] thread this morning, silly post about MS. This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face.

The threads are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally [flow] over, all the vermin will drown.

The accumulated filth of all their post and fanboy drivel will [??? about their waist?] and all the fanboys and gaffers will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "LOL, No."

*edit* oh crap just notice this is basically Rorschach monologue from Watchmen, been a awhile since I saw the movie

Good job justified and you're right.

Stinkles, I'll say something similar to what I said on the actual Halo 5 reveal thread:

It results in a large part of the press (but not all) being part of the game industry in a bad way, rather than actually doing their jobs when they have to.

So you'll excuse me if I don't shed any tears for information leaking early; This approach to the customer by the press and publishers is what generates the CBOATs in the first place, just like in every other industry. I'm not even defending his approach to teasing or the mistake he's made in the past -- but don't expect enthusiasts to not give attention to information they are really looking forward to. In fact, this should be a good hint to all devs and publishers that perhaps they are mismanaging how information spreads.
Good post.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Breaking embargos is not prophesy. Nor does it require any particular skill or insight. Ultimately he is taking or being given information and leaking it, illegally and often erroneously.

And he isn't doing it for some noble or worthy reason. He's doing it for attention.

People, including nice people with kids and families and stuff, work super hard on this stuff and wake up in the morning to find some of their effort blown up.

It's not fun, and for what? So you can have a mildly interesting surprise 8 hours early and lacking context? Or get hyped or disappointed disproportionately?

No one thought he was a prophet. We just assumed he had certain insight to these things based on prior confirmation of his comments.

Nobel? Probably not, but considering no one knows who he is, and he is MIA for months on end, we can probably assume he doesnt do it for attention, but rather a genuine need and want to inform us.

In my opinion, he did every forum member a service by putting his ass on the line to inform us, and did it for absolutely nothing in return. The attention was the result of his past.

OldRoutes

I would not compare the kinds of things he was leaking to something pleasant like a surprise party personally.

I was simplifying things because you looked a bit lost about reality and stuff.

It's not banks hiding fraudulent transaction, it's a game company announcing something.

hawk2025

Do you live on this planet? it's called Marketing.

Right, and it generates leaks, and generates obfuscated information.

This is what happens in every single industry, is my point. There's nothing particularly novel about how it is on the gaming industry and people will always be interested in it -- my point is that of course it sucks that some guy will come out and ruin the surprise, but it's a byproduct of how information disseminates in the market. People want to know more, someone is willing to talk.

There's a difference between keeping something under wraps and obfuscating what is actually going on through a misleading or incomplete announcement. And the second case has the tendency to bring out a whole lot of leaks.

Barzul

Tbh while I see Stinkles point, I had no idea wtf cboats post meant. It's only now that we have the announcement that it actually makes sense. If Shinobi had no corroborated that is was Halo 5 related on twitter, I'd have been even more clueless.

It's not banks hiding fraudulent transaction, it's a game company announcing something.
You're right, it's not that serious, so hinting at something like the name of a game we already know is coming out, or giving details about terrible shit companies are doing behind the scenes shouldn't be much of a problem.

OldRoutes

You're right, it's not that serious, so hinting at something like the name of a game we already know is coming out, or giving details about terrible shit companies are doing behind the scenes shouldn't be much of a problem.

It's not, but it's fucking useless. You would understand especially if you worked in an industry with NDAs ; there are reasons. Things change, stuff looks bad before it looks good, decisions are taken and then changed.

It's the nature of any creative and techno logic industry.

You can't be transparent when 90% of your fan base runs to the hill when you announce something then back off it.

That's why they want to control when they do announce it.

Some Nobody

I read posts like these and I realize some have forgotten that people actually pay quite a bit of money for these games. And the companies expect us to---they aren't doing us a "favor" making them.

DC1

Oh god can you imagine ? That blog had me in bulk, I'll have to check to see if it's still going
It's going... I went out there a few days ago to express that it was a good thing that the K was decoupled from XBOX One. I was super respectful ..understanding that I was in a den of wolves. In short, I was quickly showered with multiple "F***Y**s" and "Up Yours"

That place is in a strange segment of the internet.

Skilletor

I really couldn't care less about the plans of these million dollar corporations and their plans to fleece me of more money. Any information is welcome. Bring on the leaks.

reson8or

The people negative toward CBOAT seem to be xbox champions who take his comments as personal attacks to their beloved company. This dude is legit and that no one can deny it.

d0nnie

Banned
Stinkles...

Ditto.

The people negative toward CBOAT seem to be xbox champions who take his comments as personal attacks to their beloved company. This dude is legit and that no one can deny it.

And this is true as well....I don't get "blind loyalty". If MSFT is screwing up, call them out on it (same with Sony...or an agency or politician or company...pretty much anything else).

OldRoutes

I read posts like these and I realize some have forgotten that people actually pay quite a bit of money for these games. And the companies expect us to---they aren't doing us a "favor" making them.

I'm not sure you paid to be VIP in a game development company, though.

You're a consumer, not the president of the US.

hawk2025

To be clear: My two posts are a bit Devil's Advocate to highlight the point. I absolutely understand and actually relate to the other side a ton, seeing as I'm also very protective of my own work -- but we also have to be cognizant of some of the consequences of being secretive.
In my job, it's losing credibility. In anything media-related, it's leaks and unfortunately also misinformation.

That's simply how information-starved people behave, for better or worse.

JaggedSac

Nice to see he is still in the loop. At least the loop that has access to materials a little under a day in advance of the general public, lol.

It's not, but it's fucking useless. You would understand especially if you worked in an industry with NDAs ; there are reasons. Things change, stuff looks bad before it looks good, decisions are taken and then changed.

It's the nature of any creative and techno logic industry.

You can't be transparent when 90% of your fan base runs to the hill when you announce something then back off it.

That's why they want to control when they do announce it.
I don't find it useless when control about the message is taken away from these companies, when they want to give us a 'share more details' later stance on info people are dying to hear, I like getting a peek behind the curtain.

It's going... I went out there a few days ago to express that it was a good thing that the K was decoupled from XBOX One. I was super respectful ..understanding that I was in a den of wolves. In short, I was quickly showered with multiple "F***Y**s" and "Up Yours"

That place is in a strange segment of the internet.

It has crossed my mind that the blog is a parody and the majority of comments are written by the blogger. If it's not then it's some of the strangest furiousness I've read.

tfur

It just sucks.

Yeah, Microsoft almost got away with giving us a "surprise party" with the excessive DRM etc. last year.

jaypah

Definitely.

Oh but there's another side to that coin too. Not sure if you knew or not.

Yeah that must be it. Notice how you said fuck all about those cheering him when he posts negative stuff about the platform. As bad as each other.

Ishida

Banned
Yeah, Microsoft almost got away with giving us a "surprise party" with the excessive DRM etc. last year.

tumblr_mah0mshvdJ1qk6wc3o1_500.gif

Yeah and we ruined it for them :(

If only they got the message out and controlled it the way they wanted to, we might have saw it their way!

OldRoutes

I don't find it useless when control about the message is taken away from these companies, when they want to give us a 'share more details' later stance on info people are dying to hear, I like getting a peek behind the curtain.

It's not about what you like, it's about how they want you to see.

There's a reason why there's a curtain. Figuratively and not.

CBOAT or leaks had nothing to do with it, the DRM was well revealed when the backlash happened.

GotG = Halo 5 Guardians, maybe you're part of a team of some sort like in Halo Reach.
Iron Man = Master Chief who makes a cameo in Halo 5 or joins the Spartan "Guardians"?

Either way, it looks like posting a pic of Guardians was his way of foreshadowing the reveal that Halo 5 is named Halo 5 Guardians. Perhaps there's more in there as well, perhaps not.

Pain

Banned

If someone feels Microsoft doesn't derve the respect then go ahead and leak.
It's called Karma.

Top Bottom