• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what is the consensus on Quantum Break here?

SonicSleuth

I thought it was fantastic... the only downside was the boss battles for me. Great game, great multimedia interaction. I wish M$ had the sense to keep making these types of experiences, because right now they have nothing.

I thought it was great. In fact, I just started replaying it last week (this time on PC though). Great game, and very underrated IMO.

Great game, really good, especially if you like Remedy games. I played on PC, and I suspect the hate was due to poor performance issues etc on the PC port at release (as well as the Windows Store exclusivity iirc?). In any case, I got to play it over the Christmas break, and didn't experience any technical issues.

The story is fun, the powers are fun, the TV episodes are fun (but a bit long-winded at times). I'm hoping for a sequel, but not sure how it did sales-wise.

Filben

Right after Max Payne 3 and Vanquish the best shooter mechanics a TPS has to offer: It's not cover-based, it offers you many abilities to survive in open fire without cover, it's fast-paced, animations look gorgeous (although not quite Max Payne 3 tier). Besides, visuals are great and highly stylized:
VillainousScornfulAstrangiacoral-max-14mb.gif

Enemy waves and "spawns" are authentic, sometimes one encounter is just two or three enemies – you don't fight horde after horde. After all, there are many quiet moments, with great atmosphere, and many dialogs and many notes and readable items to be found.

These collectables, notes and laptops reduces the overall pace, but are entirely optional and give you more background; it's not necessary for understanding the story, though. The story itself is pretty straightforward for a time travel story and it's a quiet different approach I haven't seen before. It's intriguing and keeps you wanting more.

The live action episodes are mediocre, but, again, just adds further background to characters and their motives. It's not necessary for understanding the story.

Play time was quite high, and higher than I expected from a TPS. Took me fifteen hours to beat it.

Last edited:

Alx

These collectables, notes and laptops reduces the overall pace, but are entirely optional and give you more background; it's not necessary for understanding the story, though.

I'd say Beth's diary is the only must-read in the game. Even if the story is understandable without it, it really makes you understand the motivation of two of the three major characters, which is where all the depth of the story is.
Some memos towards the end can give you a bit more insight on "mysterious" elements towards the ending, but they still remain mysterious anyway.

This thread has convinced me that I should check it out sooner rather than later. A lot of the posts in here (both negative and positive) are highlighting gameplay and story mechanics in QB that I enjoy in other games. Did they end up fixing the graphical issues/glitches with the enhanced update for the X?

Last edited:

Filben

Did they end up fixing the graphical issues/glitches with the enhanced update for the X?
I haven't encountered any issues on PC. Doesn't have to mean anything for the Xbox version but I'd be surprised if there are still frequent issues.

I'd say Beth's diary is the only must-read in the game. Even if the story is understandable without it, it really makes you understand the motivation of two of the three major characters.
Yeah, for that collectables are quite important because not every character's motivation is clear and I do recommend to collect those pieces, for it simply expands on the game's story. To understand the plot, why things happen, it's not really mandatory.

highrider

Banned
Story was a bore. Characters possibly even more of a bore. I enjoyed the combat and using powers, but it was so sporadic and quick that I never felt satiated by it as an action game. I still haven’t finished it. Epitome of average in every way.

BizarroPete

This thread has convinced me that I should check it out sooner rather than later. A lot of the posts in here (both negative and positive) are highlighting gameplay and story mechanics in QB that I enjoy in other games. Did they end up fixing the graphical issues/glitches with the enhanced update for the X?
I played the first chapter again a few days ago and it still had the same glitches. I wish they'd fix them because the game does look really good besides those bugs.

Storm1672

Neo Member
Overall I was disappointed, I expected something better from Remedy.
This exactly.

Sam Lake and Remedy had given great examples of amazing stories, best shooting mechanics and great experiences overall with Max Payne and Alan Wake. QB was just good. Characters were not so great, nothing quite memorable, easy game to finish in a couple of days and most importantly the "TV Show" aspect was nothing more than live video extended cutscenes. The "choice system" was really shallow and there is not much to do in the game besides the shooting galleries. The time manipulation mechanics were severely underused. It has great combat, but not Remedy-level.

Have they fixed the XB1X flickering bug?

PooBone

its a game that doesn't really get talked about, it seems like it was just released and then not really talked about after it

I am a big fan of Remedy, and i recently bought a Xbox One X and the game, what is everyone's thoughts on it
I freakin loved it. Price is low now. If you like remedy it’s no ala wake or Max payne but i’d certainly recommend it.

Lort

Banned
I had this game on my wishlist until i saw Angry Joe's review... might be worth checking that review out.
If your going to listen to his review then you should prob read the reviews of his review...

Once again most people really enjoyed the game and some did not

sertopico

Well, as much as I like his reviews most of the times, in this case Angry Joe focused almost exclusively on aspects that in my opinion weren't compromising for the whole game experience, yes, the platform sections are clumsy and mabe not needed, you can't jump/climb anywhere, but we are not talking about a platform game (i.e. these were not the core mechanics), yes, there were a couple of Nissan ads inside it, but also here, should it be so compromising? And again, the episodes were a bit prosaic, too long and didn't add much, but I think that was Sam Lake's idea in the first place. All of his games are often referrable to some b-movie plot with many cheesy or ridicolous moments, maybe with the purpose of breaking the tension... Some people like it, others simply don't. Probably he was expecting smth completely different, but personally I have found everything I was looking for in a Remedy game.

Filben

I had this game on my wishlist until i saw Angry Joe's review... might be worth checking that review out.
I would put it right back there on the wishlist.

I know people often critize the decisions, but once you finished the game it makes sense why they actually 'don't matter'; it could be seen as the very premisse the game begins with and constantly reminds you of. I also wouldn't play a TPS with such great shooting mechanics for decisions.

Max Payne 1 and 2 had some platforming elements, too. Doesn't mean they couldn't be better, nor it is a justification for 'bad' platforming, it's just their way to break up the gameplay a little bit. And as my former poster stated, it's not a core mechanic. And because it sparsely use throughout the game it's actually not a big deal. You definitely shoot and interact with characters way more often.

Alebrije

Had the same fate of Prey , underrated game. Not as good as expected from a Remedy game but fun while playing on hard. A 6/7 game for me.

Woffls

Couldn't stand it. I really like Max Payne 1/2 and Alan Wake, but this just didn't feel like Remedy. I didn't enjoy the combat, hated the 'puzzles' (read: look around until you see the thing and remember what powers you have). I kept with it in case the story got good, but I never cared for any of it and it remains entirely forgettable to me. Most disappointed I've been in a game in a long time.

isoRhythm

Banned
I started playing it and have almost beat it. The gameplay is extremely fun, using the time stop and shooting an entire mag into an enemy and watching them all hit at once never gets old. But for every minute of fun gameplay there's like 5 minutes of boring movement, interactions, and cutscenes. The whole episodes thing is pretty neat but sometimes it can get boring, especially near the end. Graphics, sound, and music are also pretty good.

A step down from Alan Wake.
Next on the list is Control and that should be much better.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i thought the game was underwhelming, saw some reviews, doesnt seem good

I had a great time with it. Great graphics, rock solid game play and a decent story that I actually got emotionally invested in. Not sure why it gets so much hate. But there you go.

oldergamer

Great game. Wished more of the cutscenes were in engine with a better balence to gameplay. I liked not having to run for cover in a shooter.

It also felt like it ended 1 level too early. Needed a level after time stops.

Last edited:
Weakest game that Remedy has put out in the last 20 years or so. They were coming off back to back bangers in Max Payne 1+ 2, Alan Wake..and then they put out QB. While fundamentally it was just ok, the writing, the gameplay just straddled the line of mediocre to me and the story was just plain bad not even counting the AWFUL TV episodes. I still think that last boss fight was some of the worst shit they've EVER done. I was very disappointed as I'm a huge Remedy fan. But they came back hard with Control and knocked that out of the park and I'm pretty optimistic for the future of the studio.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I liked the whole experience. To be honest I forgot it's existence until now

Last edited:

BigLee74

I thought it was great. Got right into it, and even enjoyed the tv shows.

Much better than Control, slightly better than Alan Wake, but not quite Max Payne levels of greatness.

MadPanda

Banned
i thought the game was underwhelming, saw some reviews, doesnt seem good

Maybe you should play the game and then form your own opinion instead of bashing the game based on reviews. How could you even think it's underwhelming if you haven't played it?

I liked the game ans just don't understand the hate it got. Graphics were good, gameplay was innovative and fresh and TV episodes were novel for the time. It's not the greatest game of the generation but it's a great game nonetheless.

I remember how everyone was bashing it for having a low resolution but in reality if it weren't for a digital foundry analysis noone would've noticed as the games has excellent post processing. Remedy shows how misleading those so called technical analyses can be misleading.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I really enjoyed it and along with Sunset Overdrive it was one of the most underrated games of last gen. A shame they were never patched for Series X. QB is stunning looking.

Maybe you should play the game and then form your own opinion instead of bashing the game based on reviews. How could you even think it's underwhelming if you haven't played it?

I liked the game ans just don't understand the hate it got. Graphics were good, gameplay was innovative and fresh and TV episodes were novel for the time. It's not the greatest game of the generation but it's a great game nonetheless.

I remember how everyone was bashing it for having a low resolution but in reality if it weren't for a digital foundry analysis noone would've noticed as the games has excellent post processing. Remedy shows how misleading those so called technical analyses can be misleading.
Disagree on the gameplay aspects entirely. The combat was ok, but could be cheesed to easily with essentially 1 power.

The enemy A.I. was braindead.

The combat just didn't have that je ne sais quoi that all 3 of Remedy's previous games had. And the story was full of holes and inconsistencies. Some of the level design too was just all over the place, you could only jump over certain objects, which became inconsistent, when you could jump up this head high wall, but not THIS one because it's not part of the story. The time mechanics were also inconsistent in their implementation in regards to environmental puzzles. It just felt unsatisfying to play and the story(depending on the branch you go) was sequel bating hard or felt flat and underwhelming.

It's not an outright bad game, and I do think it's graphics are pretty good, it was heavy on the post-processing, but most of Remedy's games kind of are like that and they do an excellent job with their tech. But still, worst Remedy game they released in 20 years. Def. felt like most people at the time were only talking about the graphics though(console warring), which is par the course for first/second-party games, but the game more than had it's fair share of issues.

Last edited:

yamaci17

i give it a 9/10 because i adore such stories

graphics were very good for its time

gameplay was just enough for this genre. it might've gone full detroit become human route, and more people would probably appreciate, instead they wanted to add weird gunplay but that works too, i guess

i wish they did more games like this. idea of time travel is very fun and i would say underutilized in games, for now

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It's good game to play with GF, she can give you BJ while you playing, because game is piss easy and watch the TV show with you.

Top Bottom