• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So why isn't little big planet 1/2 a more popular game?

So, I just got a ps3 a couple of weeks ago and started playing little big planet 2. It is really fun and really unique as a platformer unlike many others that I have played or seen in generation. I'm just wondering why this franchise isn't more popular? Do people not like it or something?

Anyway, if this isn't the best platformer of this generation what is?

Edit: Sales comparisons-

LBP - 4.5 million+
LBP 2 - 1.5 million for less than a year.
Mario Galaxy - ?
Mario Galaxy 2 - 6.36 million+
Rayman Origins - ~50k

Edit 2: NVM, LBP is actually pretty successful when you look it. It is one of the top selling platformers of this generation. Didn't realize that it sold as much as it did.

Super floaty.

First post nails it as usual.

The premise is great, the tools are awesome, the platforming itself is boring, it just feels off, to the point where I have no interest in playing more than 30 seconds of the game.

Really a shame, because I really wanted to love the games, since everything else is stellar.

Cipherr

To much create/share, and not enough platformer.

And thats not meant to be a diss either, its amazing at what it does, but I really wanted a fantastic MP platformer, and it just doesn't deliver in that way the way it does with its create-content side.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Retail plattformer which doesnt star a fat plumber always tend to get overlooked by the mainstream. The PSP version was a flop sales wise.

I absolutely hated the level design in LBP1 story mode and I wasn't a big fan of the floaty jumping.

LBP2 level design I liked really way much more and was able to have fun with the game, but still that floaty jumping madness, I do not like at all.

So, I guess the games just aren't for me.

The bigger question is why it was not even considered in anyone's game of the year awards? I mean what the hell, everyone forgot about it....

bill0527

The platforming was mediocre for me.

And I don't give a shit about creating my own game. That's what I give companies my $60 for.

dralla

It's hard to sell a game when the 'hook' is UGC and creativity. The physics based controls also seem to be divisive. I feel like the first game did the series a disservice. It was a platformer with poor platforming, LBP2 is such a bigger, more expansive game that does a lot within its boundaries. I don't like LBP1, but LBP2 is one of my favorite games on PS3 for the single player alone.

kuroshiki

It's a platform game, but it fails so miserably on the more important part.

jump mechanic.

Unless sony fixes this LBP will never be a big franchise. But media molecule is too proud of themselves to realize this.

The game is cute, funny and nice to look at.

It's also incredibly complicated for casuals. The platforming leaves a lot to be desired.

I don't really mind the floaty jumps. Seems to fit the style of the game which I like too.

Anyway, if this isn't the best platformer of this generation what is?

reminder

I love both games, especially 2 since i played it with my gf. She felt in love with the game from the very first second ("omg soo cuuuute") and we had so much fun playing together. Don't know why it isn't more popular, though. Not enough advertising maybe?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yeah, I don't think it has anything to do with the actual mechanics. Lots of popular games have been clunky or floaty or impenetrable mechanically, but I think the concept doesn't really connect well with casual audiences. Creation is never going to be as popular as destruction, even accepting that there's more to LBP than creation.

That said, the games are still pretty successful.

DaBuddaDa

The series is extremely popular with kids and has sold multiple millions of copies. It'd be hard for it to do any better than it has IMO.

The Lamp

lol @ floaty gameplay complaints. Stop trying to play it like Mario. You have to take realistic physics into account when you play it, otherwise the levels wouldn't be able to be created the way they are. Also, you can completely edit jumping or movement physics in LBP2.

Anyway, I love LBP1/LBP2. I don't have enough time to make levels now that I'm out of high school, but it was really intuitive and it's easy to find good levels, particularly with LBPCentral.

I don't care if it's popular or not, people miss out I guess. lol

I really enjoyed the games. But, the controls were floaty and the hit detection was off. For a game that requires precision that hampered my experience with it.

Dead Man

The floaty jumps don't bother me, they are consistent and predictable, which is all you really need for a platformer.

I bought little big planet 2 because I thought my girlfriend and I would enjoy it so much together. She doesn't play a ton of games, but played Nintendo/Super Nintendo stuff. Her take on why she didn't like it: too floaty.

Now she didn't say it like that, but you know. Why isn't it more like Mario, why doesn't my guy move like he should, damnit missed _____ again, etc.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Because it isn't a very good platformer and is just awkward to play? The fun comes from building levels not actually playing them. These kinds of games that rely on user generated content are almost always niche, being a colourful, whimsical game on the PS3 probably didn't help either.

I tried the LBP2 demo and was seriously enthralled by how great it looks, I'm a big fan of the style they chose. Too bad the game itself didn't seem all that fun.

Himself

because people realized that creating their own levels is much less fun than actually playing a full game

This too, but playing other people's levels is probably more fun than playing the ones in the game. There are some levels you can tell people put an immense amount of care/work into and it's easy to get lost trying out all the wacky stuff people put up.

Dead Man

It just doesn't feel right though.

I think many people expect all platformers to feel like Mario. It is not the only way to set up a game. I get it is not for everyone, but there seems to be a lot of people who just don't want anything other than Mario style platforming.

Himself

I tried the LBP2 demo and was seriously enthralled by how great it looks, I'm a big fan of the style they chose. Too bad the game itself didn't seem all that fun.

It's a hell of a lot more fun with other people to play with.

People looking at LBP for a challenging single player platforming experience a la Super Meat Boy or DKCR are going to be disappointed.

Top Bottom