• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So why isn't little big planet 1/2 a more popular game?

Roto13

It isn't just having online multiplayer, it is having a good local/online coop integrated into the game.

First, I've never said that SMG isn't a good game, but nintendo really needs to bring their 3D mario game into the modern era and add the ability to play full on coop local/online in the story mode with luigi or something. Ever other modern platformer has it and it is what keeps me from saying it is the best platformer of this gen. That goes to Rayman Origin or meatboy.

Mario Galaxy has some sort of halfbaked 2 player local multiplayer option which was seemed to be tacked on at the last minute. LBP on the other hand is a totally different game. It has a fully fleshed multiplayer that is intergrated into the gameplay. The point of LBP isn't to play through it by yourself, but to play with others. That is what makes the game fun. You obviously don't understand that and I doubt you have played through the entire game, if you have even played it, to figure that out.

Also, the game plays just fine. The "floaty" jumps might be legitmate complaint for some, but it in no way keeps anyone from enjoying the game.

Anyway, I like what I like, you like what you like. It won't change that fact that LBP is a successful platformer which will probably be around for a while.
People like you are so bad for gaming. You're why Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood had about a quarter as much content as II.

I've been playing LBP2 with my son, even though he loves playing it with me it can be frustrating for both of us because of the large difference in platforming skill between us. That's probably the biggest thing limiting my enjoyment.

is 1.5-2 million copies low for you?

I don't know a soul who hasn't heard of LBP, and most of my friends don't "game".

It's not low. It's not high either. It's decent.

It's a reasonable point that a first-party sequel based on the same technology may be quite profitable at 1.5-2 million... but it's still not great. Besides, Sony presumably paid a pretty penny to buy MM themselves between LBP and LBP2. That's an expense in itself.

"Hearing" and buying are two different things. Hearing has nothing to do with anything.

pixelbox

This thread made me replay LBP2 and although people are complaining about the floaty controls, I believe it really is the pacing that people have a problem with. Unlike other platformers LBP requires the flow to be interupted at any given time. The nature of the game is a hybrid of different games, you're not always platforming on every level. Sometimes you're just shitting about, playing with the levels objects, throwing shit. The game doesn't take platforming seriously because it's not just a platformer. It's whatever you want it to be in a 2D plain and yes it does share plattforming traits. But tell me, if they pitched it just as a platformer wouldn't that limit the potential UGC to just platforming? Take the game for what it is: a 2D Muti-genre game.

Arnie

Because it's a shit platformer.

Simple.

Anyone who thinks an arty creation system makes up for this, or that the game should be popular on merit is illogical. The game just doesn't work from the grounds up as a platformer. Not to mention the platforming genre as a whole isn't very popular nowadays, so to demand an audience's time you have to be up there with the best of your craft (such as Super Meat Boy). LittleBigPlanet is just a bad platformer with an excellent creation system.

LBP1 had a much more fun campaign than LBP2. 2's campaign was basically "hey guys, let's show off all our awesome new technology" but without any really meaty, lengthy stages to get the most out of that.

And yeah, the game is too floaty and the 3 plane platforming was a bad idea. It's level sharing system also still requires too much of the player to dig out and find levels actually worth playing, though 2 is a bit better about that. What it needed, and several people I've asked all agree, is an auto-generated campaign; you select that it and builds a custom LBP world for you out of like 20 user levels with the highest ratings, along with, perhaps, user recommended playlists like you see on iTunes. Let the expert LBP players ferret out the truly great levels and suggest them for a campaign.

As it stands, LPB is an amazing bit of technology and box of ideas that's actually over-engineered as a game. 3 plane platforming absolutely should have been nixed, it shouldn't feel so floaty and mushy. I think it still could have worked with 2 plane platforming and a better system of determining what plane you're on, such as switch gates. I'm actually shocked in the level editor that they never created a setting to automatically confine the character plane to 2 or 1 rows... that turns level creation into more of a chore than it should be because you can't just rough out a level easily. You have to constantly search for z-depth errors where Sackboy will get confused and fall behind the scenery or switch planes at the wrong time.

Proof that engineers and nerds made the game, and didn't seriously test it with regular people; or didn't listen to all the feedback they got.

Why not just rough your level out constantly using the full three planes?

VanWinkle

I can see why people don't like the platforming, but I love it. LittleBigPlanet 2 is one of my favorite games ever made, and I never created a level in the history of the two games.

Jaeyden

Shame people wrote this game off because of the platforming controls. There are well over 4 million levels on the servers and it's easy to find shit TONS of different stuff to play that has nothing to do with jumping. When Gevurah22 and I set the world records in New York last year we played well over 20 different genres of levels and that was just as LBP2 launched. Arcade games, pinball games, shooters, racers, puzzles, machinima..the list goes on and on. There is sooo much quality content to play from the community. The game has changed so much from LBP1 and is still changing on a daily basis. Free games every day, all day long. Not a bad deal IMO.

Gustav

Banned
I found the levels to feel rather generic, the 3 planes thing unnecessary and the whole artstyle/world they created very unappealing and characterless.

jman2050

This thread made me replay LBP2 and although people are complaining about the floaty controls, I believe it really is the pacing that people have a problem with. Unlike other platformers LBP requires the flow to be interupted at any given time. The nature of the game is a hybrid of different games, you're not always platforming on every level. Sometimes you're just shitting about, playing with the levels objects, throwing shit. The game doesn't take platforming seriously because it's not just a platformer. It's whatever you want it to be in a 2D plain and yes it does share plattforming traits. But tell me, if they pitched it just as a platformer wouldn't that limit the potential UGC to just platforming? Take the game for what it is: a 2D Muti-genre game.

The game is even worse at being everything else than it is at being a platformer.

You're not helping its case.

Boss Man

The real selling point of the game is the level editing concept, which is still just a little bit ahead of its time I think.

AwRy108

Shame people wrote this game off because of the platforming controls. There are well over 4 million levels on the servers and it's easy to find shit TONS of different stuff to play that has nothing to do with jumping. When Gevurah22 and I set the world records in New York last year we played well over 20 different genres of levels and that was just as LBP2 launched. Arcade games, pinball games, shooters, racers, puzzles, machinima..the list goes on and on. There is sooo much quality content to play from the community. The game has changed so much from LBP1 and is still changing on a daily basis. Free games every day, all day long. Not a bad deal IMO.

But keep in mind, other than the experience of seeing what others have created, what's the over-arching goal here? I think the game's biggest issue is that it began life by being advertised as a platformer, and it's not a very good one of those; and while it certainly has evolved way past being strictly a platformer, I think the game is still contending with the original perception of it being one. Keeping this in mind, there's much better options, and said options have a cohesive set of goals, settings, and controls, versus just playing a variety of levels created by a community.

I think the idea and execution of LBP is fantastic; but I also feel that the concept needs to be re-skinned, re-branded, and then re-marketed if it wants to appeal to a new, bigger audience. Also, if future iterations are going to carry the same physics, then MediaMolecule needs to avoid it being billed as a platforming game from the out-set.

SkylineRKR

Even though LBP adds levels on a daily basis, I'd rather work to a goal and play the likes of Rayman or Mario Bros instead. They look more appealing to me (LBP actually looked kind of foggy and soulless), and have gameplay that I would rate as being much better. In the end the gameplay decides if a game is fun or not.

The majority of UGC is shit. That goes for all games. In Modnation I also ended up playing a lot of tracks I just didn't enjoy at all. Ending up on a track that was better than the stock ones was rare.

Sullichin

I only played LBP1, and I love the visual style but like others have said I don't like the floaty controls at all. I also always felt like I was just messing around in the game and not really accomplishing anything. I know I was unlocking new levels and stuff but for some reason the game lacked a sense of progress for me.

Enco

Loved the first one to death but:

1. Too floaty
2. Not many great levels online
3. It got kinda boring
4. Too floaty

ScOULaris

All of the reasons why LBP wasn't more successful have been covered and reiterated ten times over in this thread already. The creation tools were first-rate and introducing local 4-person multiplayer to the platforming genre was an important decision, but when you get right down to it the game wasn't very fun to play. People would spend days/weeks/months crafting levels, and then people would play them once before moving on to the next custom level among the disorganized mess that was the online mode.

People who say "if you expect it to play like Mario, you're doing it wrong" are missing the point. A platforming game needs to be fun to control/play. Running, jumping, and navigating obstacles are the entire core of the gameplay. All of those things should feel tight and responsive, especially when being played from the 2D perspective that LBP uses. In the end, New Super Mario Bros. Wii took the 4-player concept and created a MUCH more enjoyable multiplayer platforming experience than what we got with LBP. Slapping each other's Sackboys is fun for the first five minutes, but Mario's tight gameplay and fresh challenges around every corner give it legs.

Muffdraul

I was really, really excited about LBP when it was announced, and I couldn't wait to play it. I remember it eventually came out on a Saturday, I ran out and bought it, raced home and started playing. I played it for a few days and then stopped and went back to Dead Space, which had come out about a week earlier and I'd already played from beginning to end a few times. I never did go back to LBP. I didn't dislike it... it just didn't grab me like I thought it would. I played with the creation tools a bit, that sort of thing isn't my cup of tea. I bought LBP2, but it's still sealed. Someday I'll go back and "finish" LBP1 and crack open LBP2.

Gaogaogao

because there is still a hold breath/ pop function, because there is so much inconsistency and weirdness in the fundamental platforming mechanics that stuff goes wrong for no reason. I dont think these physics belong in a platformer.

Polyphony

I absolutely loved LBP. It was a really refreshing take on platforming with all the creation and sharing tools. I never minded the floaty mechanics, it made the game feel different to the likes of Mario. It also made the characters feel like animated puppets, which I think is what MM tried to convey. I was more impressed with the integration of the physics to 2D platforming elements than the jumping mechanics.

Many fun times were had with a group of friends. It's a hilarious game to play with others, I still remember the first time I whacked my friend into a fiery pit.

turnbuckle

It just wasn't very fun. Loved the visuals, tried convincing myself that I'd like it if I kept playing. It never clicked with me, and once I started playing the new MLB, Contra, and Portal 2 I never bothered to look back. I remember picking up 3D dot game heroes at the same time and that scratched an itch I was having while LBP did nothing for me at all.

Jaeyden

But keep in mind, other than the experience of seeing what others have created, what's the over-arching goal here? I think the game's biggest issue is that it began life by being advertised as a platformer, and it's not a very good one of those; and while it certainly has evolved way past being strictly a platformer, I think the game is still contending with the original perception of it being one. Keeping this in mind, there's much better options, and said options have a cohesive set of goals, settings, and controls, versus just playing a variety of levels created by a community.

I think the idea and execution of LBP is fantastic; but I also feel that the concept needs to be re-skinned, re-branded, and then re-marketed if it wants to appeal to a new, bigger audience. Also, if future iterations are going to carry the same physics, then MediaMolecule needs to avoid it being billed as a platforming game from the out-set.

You have a good point. This thread proves that its still perceived as just a platformer with floaty controls. Personally I think the controls are great, but then again I have played the game for years so I don't fault anyone for feeling that way. It's an amazing game that appeals to a broad audience. It's a very social game. It's extremely creative and always a different game from day to day. The editor is unbelievable and quite simple for the depth that it carries. I don't need goals to enjoy playing the community levels, I just love the exploration of finding inspiring stories, awesome gameplay, original music, machinima, original mini games and yes..even the platforming.

I play LBP2 with my kids. It's fun, and there are times that the platforming is too frustrating for them, but they love it.

For me, I do like it, and I love the creative aspect of it, but the actual platforming is pretty terribad. It's slippery, floaty, and has poor hit detection.

Still fun though.

Coverly

Floaty, and the rest of the controls felt terrible. It just wasn't fun.

As to why it isn't popular, don't know. All my friends that have ps3s bought the first one but only one person bought the second game. Once I saw that the default controls were still there for the sequel I didn't bother. Such a shame too, some of the user created levels for the first game were really good.

Piggus

Do people realize you can do other things in LBP2 that isn't platforming? Some of the most awesome levels have nothing to do with platforming and are great to play with friends.

I've rarely had a problem with the controls either way. It's floaty, yes which is different but for me it's not frustrating. If you want your game to control like Mario, play Mario.

Special J

Banned
buyer's remose, sequels do poorly when buyers get a game they didnt expect. LBP was well marketed as a game that is everything to everyone turns out its pretty niche.

remnant

Banned
Do people realize you can do other things in LBP2 that isn't platforming? Some of the most awesome levels have nothing to do with platforming and are great to play with friends.
So i should buy a platformer and expect not to enjoy the platforming, but what other people made online?

I've rarely had a problem with the controls either way. It's floaty, yes which is different but for me it's not frustrating. If you want your game to control like Mario, play Mario.
If you want your games to control well, go play games with good controls.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
It's mediocre as a singleplayer(or co-op) platformer which is what most people probably bought it for. Playing user-created content isn't for everybody, let alone actually making it.

StuBurns

Banned
Beyond the mechanical issues, which are plentiful, they never got the user made shit right. The second you boot LBP2 you should be met with a daily playlist picked by MM, five or ten user made levels, zero effort on the user's part to find quality content.

There's lots of great stuff, but I don't care enough to look for it, I want it presented to me like I would any other content.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I love the LBP series.

I'm not very far in 2, but I find the series fascinating and enjoyable.

I don't particularly have a problem with the floaty controls, and find that it gives the game a uniqueness in the world of platformers that are often aping (and failing to do so), Mario Brother's controls.

I love the visual and audio presentations of both games (and the PSP one was great as well), and the complexity of the editing tools are staggering for a console game.

It's a series that is understandably not for everybody, but that goes for pretty much every game and franchise in the industry.

hoos30

User Generated Content looks great on a Powerpoint slide.

It is not so great in real life. No one outside of a gaming forum actually wants to do it.

beril

It isn't just having online multiplayer, it is having a good local/online coop integrated into the game.

First, I've never said that SMG isn't a good game, but nintendo really needs to bring their 3D mario game into the modern era and add the ability to play full on coop local/online in the story mode with luigi or something. Ever other modern platformer has it and it is what keeps me from saying it is the best platformer of this gen. That goes to Rayman Origin or meatboy.

Mario Galaxy has some sort of halfbaked 2 player local multiplayer option which was seemed to be tacked on at the last minute. LBP on the other hand is a totally different game. It has a fully fleshed multiplayer that is intergrated into the gameplay. The point of LBP isn't to play through it by yourself, but to play with others. That is what makes the game fun. You obviously don't understand that and I doubt you have played through the entire game, if you have even played it, to figure that out.

Also, the game plays just fine. The "floaty" jumps might be legitmate complaint for some, but it in no way keeps anyone from enjoying the game.

Anyway, I like what I like, you like what you like. It won't change that fact that LBP is a successful platformer which will probably be around for a while.

Eh what 3d platform games has had proper co-op? I cant think of any? And why are you comparing SMG to LBP and meatboy? It's totally different genres. There was however this other Mario game a few years ago that was 2D and did have fantastic multiplayer. While it wasn't online, neither was LBP in practice until 6 months and a 100 patches after release

Jaeyden

Beyond the mechanical issues, which are plentiful, they never got the user made shit right. The second you boot LBP2 you should be met with a daily playlist picked by MM, five or ten user made levels, zero effort on the user's part to find quality content.

There's lots of great stuff, but I don't care enough to look for it, I want it presented to me like I would any other content.

Dude..you do get this. Its like three button presses from the game start. Levels picked by Mm for their quality and 1000's of the highest rated levels from the last few years to present another button or two away. You don't have to search for quality content in LBP2.

mik

mik is unbeatable
User Generated Content looks great on a Powerpoint slide.

It is not so great in real life. No one outside of a gaming forum actually wants to do it.

I'll be sure to give my daughters a stern talking to about this. Thanks.

Satchel

Banned
That would be pretty awesome if LBP3 had that style.

Yeah, I agree with this. Also as I said in this thread the game is actually a pretty good success. I just didn't recognize how much it sold before I started the thread. I fully expect LBP2 to hit 3+ million like the original LBP which would put it in the top tier sales for platformers this gen.

As I said to you earlier. Pack ins.

In terms of actual stand alone sales, I don't think LBP did as well as those who support the game think. Hence why it became a pack-in so quickly (I know this rule doesn't apply to all games that get packed in).

I really REALLY doubt we'll see a LBP 3.

.GqueB.

Banned
I've been playing LBP2 with my son, even though he loves playing it with me it can be frustrating for both of us because of the large difference in platforming skill between us. That's probably the biggest thing limiting my enjoyment.

Do better. Stop slowing the boy down you bumbling buffoon.

Top Bottom