• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So why isn't little big planet 1/2 a more popular game?

Quite popular I'd think. Sackboy is all over. I ended up laughing my ass on during the multiplayer with some friends, and some of the levels were down right evil. But its still a platformer and outside the Nintendo cult, those don't resonate with the forum masses so well.

The floatly complaints seem silly, but whatever gets people through the night.

* Did the skateboard level in 1 for hours without realizing how long we were at it. Just completely carefree fun. Having folks join in at random was great too. Game probably didn't get enough praise for its online.

I definitely agree with that last point about it's multiplayer. That is where the game really shines; by playing with others. I feel it should be a requirement for platformers to have local/online multiplay like rayman origins and lbp. It just makes the game more fun.

The complaints don't come from having difficulties playing the game with those controls; I'm perfectly able to understand and predict how the character moves around the environment. So it's perfectly playable.

It just feels off, though. There's no fun to be had with those mechanics.

This gen have so many better platformers it's not even worth putting time into some mediocre - yet artistically impressive - game like LBP.

stop playing it like mario

That's not the point. Besides, I tend to play all platforms like Sonic. xD

I always thought it was because it was a PS3 game, and not a Nintendo title.

Actually, this is my opinion as well.
I mean, it doesn't have to be a Nintendo developed title, but I think it would have done better if the game came out on a Nintendo console/handheld.

But actually I couldn't care less if LBP would have been on PC, Wii, 360 and/or PS3. I would have overlooked it regardless, of that I am sure.

Teknoman

The cool thing about created levels is that you can sorta tweak the gravity, so if you find someone out there thats into platformers, and not just creating some artistic masterpiece, you can find some decent platforming/action shoot/platforming level sets.

jett

D-Member
The cool thing about created levels is that you can sorta tweak the gravity, so if you find someone out there thats into platformers, and not just creating some artistic masterpiece, you can find some decent platforming/action shoot/platforming level sets.

You can only tweak it in LBP2, right?

jorgeton

Love the level editor. I think it's one of the best things on the ps3, but really dislike the game's aesthetic. It's too precious for me. Too cute. I love Stephen fry, but hate the narration. The single player campaign is far better than LBP1. Overall, it's a great game but the whole look and vibe turns a lot of people off. And yeah, floaty jumps. At least you have a grappling hook in this one.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
It is the floaty jumps. Media Molecule should really change it for the next iteration. IT is the number one thing that keeps the series from greatness.

Khezu

I always thought sackboy was really creepy looking, like a soulless little puppet monster, trying to act cute so you let your guard down, and then it rips out your jugular vein.

Shiloa

So much dislike for the game makes me sad. It's been one of the standout experiences for me this gen. One of the few games that have actually made me smile. It's just so...lovely. The campaigns ooze charm and creativity and in multiplayer (either through the campaign or messing about creating together) has produced some of the funniest gaming I've had. Slapping a friend into a burning pit, or making a penis-rocket with active jizz function - such fun.

The jumping and planes are a bit weird, and I hated them at first too, but I got used to it and it's not nearly as much of a problem.

But its still a platformer and outside the Nintendo cult, those don't resonate with the forum masses so well.
Sales numbers certainly paint a different picture where the majority of people buying games prefer Ninty's platformers or, at least, stuff greatly informed by them, AFAICT. Certainly, the Mario franchise is inescapable from a sale-success point of view, but Mario games are still the best-selling platformers in the current generation by many miles and even still greatly disproportionate when weighing things by userbase size differences. It isn't just gaming nerds who prefer tighter, more satisfying platformer controls.

The floatly complaints seem silly, but whatever gets people through the night.
Hardly. The control and jump floatiness is the single most common complaint I've heard about LBP 1&2, period. The control matters completely and it has be fun in of itself while enhanced by the level design and challenges built to tax the player's skill and encourage greater mastery over that control. On the other hand, the challenges in LBP's single-player campaigns seem to more effectively reveal the weaknesses of the core control and design, IMO.

If it had been marketed more it probably could have a been a bigger hit. I'm still surprised they didn't push it as the PS3's big "family" title.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Anyway, if this isn't the best platformer of this generation what is?
You ask that like this hasn't been a fantastic generation for platformers.

Mario Galaxy
Mario Galaxy 2
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Super Meat Boy
Braid
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Limbo
Trine
Mirror's Edge

just to name a few.

jman2050

If it had been marketed more it probably could have a been a bigger hit. I'm still surprised they didn't push it as the PS3's big "family" title.

Marketed more? really?

Sony's been shoving these games down everyone's throat from day one. Whether the marketing was effective or not I can't say for sure, but it certainly wasn't from lack of trying.

Mario Galaxy
Mario Galaxy 2
Super Meat Boy
Braid
Limbo
Trine
Mirror's Edge

just to name a few.

and SM3DL too

but see, none of em is LBP

jman2050

Mario Galaxy
Mario Galaxy 2
Super Meat Boy
Braid
Limbo
Trine
Mirror's Edge

just to name a few.

I admire the restraint at not even touching the handhelds. Cause then it'd be even worse.

LQX

Have to agree on those controls. Just never felt like a tight platformer. Don't know why but Sony's two biggest European games controls seemed so drastically off of the norm. Like what were they going far. I have seen some try to praise this but I think its more of a failure.

Sylver

Banned
I bought the first one and I was little disappointed, so I didn't buy the sequel. The concept was kind of awesome but I think it was bad executed.

Mxrz

I see the physics as part of the overall feel of the game. It just fits the silly, creative dream-world. There was a level where four of us were running and jumping hurdles, and after a point it felt more like we were just flowing together instead of running alongside. That is pretty unique in my book. Different physics would've probably screwed with that and a lot of other moments.

It is also part of the reason I wanted to play around in the levels rather than try to rush to the end. Just so many parts of the game where I got distracted with some otherwise menial bits but I was having too much fun to care, the wheel, the sled, the drag race, etc.

JDSN

Banned
So, I just got a ps3 a couple of weeks ago and started playing little big planet 2. It is really fun and really unique as a platformer unlike many others that I have played or seen in generation. I'm just wondering why this franchise isn't more popular? Do people not like it or something?

Anyway, if this isn't the best platformer of this generation what is?

Edit: Sales comparisons-

LBP - 4.5 million+
LBP 2 - 1.5 million
Mario Galaxy - ?
Mario Galaxy 2 - 6.36 million+

Rayman Origins - ~50k

Interestingly...I commented in another thread about never complaining that there is too much content in a game.

However...I'm not a "creative". So I found the content in LBP 2 and all the options available a bit overwhelming.

However, in the end...it's controls. Platformers need tight controls.

Sadist

Being able to create your own levels is amazing and the Sackboys are awesome.

The core gameplay? It's just not that good.

Mario Galaxy
Mario Galaxy 2
Super Meat Boy
Braid
Limbo
Trine
Mirror's Edge

just to name a few.

and SM3DL too

but see, none of em is LBP

And Rayman Origins, probably the best 2D platformer on PS360. And guess what, its floaty too. LBP's controller issues goes beyond just being floaty.

Meier

Terrible controls and I frankly didn't find the original compelling in the slightest. I did select it as my free download later though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I like how the OP is just fishing for a fight. C'mon, have a little self respect.

SMG sold about 6.5 million copies.

I don't get thet floaty complains... Freaking Mario has floaty controls and it's only the most famous platformer ever.

You need to play any Mario platformer again and then play LBP. "Floaty" isn't exactly a super-accurate term but I think it's safe to say LBP controls are not as precise or seemingly responsive for what a platform game is expected to have.

Cipherr

But its still a platformer and outside the Nintendo cult, those don't resonate with the forum masses so well.

Dont be ridiculous. Super Meat boy, VVVVVVV, Rayman Origins, Bit Trip Runner, Mirrors Edge and Braid especially have been fucking SPLOOOOOGED over this gen by Gaffers on this very board, especially Braid. Seriously, leave the strawmen at home, this has been an amazing gen for platformers, and theres been no shortage of praise for the best of them that didnt have "Nintendo" stamped on the side of them.

You need to play any Mario platformer again and then play LBP. "Floaty" isn't exactly a super-accurate term but I think it's safe to say LBP controls are not as precise or seemingly responsive for what a platform game is expected to have.

There's movement after I stop pressing the controls, and a delay when turning the other way. That's what I consider to be floaty, it's what people are complaining in LBP and it's what happens in SMB as well as many other platformers.

I like how the OP is just fishing for a fight. C'mon, have a little self respect.

SMG sold about 6.5 million copies.

How so? Because I didn't post SMG sales? I just looked through wikipedia and couldn't find it. If you mean defending LBP, then I don't see a problem with defending a game that I like.

RetroGreg

This is one of those games that I wanted to like more than I did to the point where I tried to talk myself into it. Everything looks amazing and looks like it will be so much fun, but the gameplay just didn't do it for me. Too floaty like everyone has already said.

I can't get passed the controls, everything feels super loose and limp. I'm floating everywhere. I'm pressing buttons and Sackboy isn't jumping on the spot, like it's not registering properly or the timing is off. There's some weird inertia at play. I'm getting lost in the depth of the stages. And I hate the physics. Everything about the controls are just sloppy.

I love the visuals of the game though. I pop in the game just to look at it.

Good editor, bad platform.

I thought the opposite. I thought the levels were pretty fun, and many had some pretty complicated platforming. Some of the longer custom levels were some pretty awesome gameplay.

But I just found the editor overwhelming and a lot to do just to build something worth caring about. Like I needed to devote hours just to make a workable level.

Top Bottom