• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM 4 |OT|

Biff

smh at patch ETAs.

Just because you have our cash now doesn't mean we can't hold it back from you when you release DLC. When people bought the game based on a promise of a party system, you have to push yourself to keep that promise in a reasonably timed fashion.

Yeah, it's pretty lame they even launched the game without the one feature people wanted most. Not being able to get it in withing a few months afterwards makes it kind of embarrassing. It's a shame the PSN outage is taking such a heavy hit on the game, I just hope they don't think that's the only reason for the games sales when they looks back on it.

Greg

LittleTokyo said:
Wow, some of you people... an entire MONTH delay on a patch? WOW, the sky is falling.

My God, patience is a virtue folks.
With as much appreciation and praise I have for the game/series, forgive me for being pissed that a key promised feature (and a reason why lobbies were scrapped) hasn't made it into the game yet.

If you make a community-driven game based entirely on matchmaking, a party system should've been one of the first things on the list while in development.

Seventy5

mr stroke said:
can anyone tell me what the party system does?
It brings you closer to god. And it lets you play with a group of people from match to match, instead of matching a bunch of randoms every time.

Raoh

LittleTokyo said:
Wow, some of you people... an entire MONTH delay on a patch? WOW, the sky is falling.

My God, patience is a virtue folks.

I'm 50/50

I can wait. But then again, Sony themselves should be working on a unified party system that all their first parties online games could use and maybe even a system that they can request third party publishers use for ps3 games.

There is also no reason for an developer of an online game to not begin to implement a party system at the beginning stages of development.

They wanted to do something different. Fine.
Stray away from traditional socom. Fine.
Tweak the game as the community builds up after release. Fine.

But as someone who is pretty much Pro Socom 4, I do think this is a major misstep on zipper's part.

Match Making.
Friend Invites.
Join existing friends in game.
Mic System.
Lobbies.
etc etc etc.

I can't see how an online game developer would wait for the last minute to implement these things.

I can deal with it but I can definitely appreciate everyone else's frustration with this.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
mr stroke said:
In matchmaking, I think it makes it easier for your friends/group to stay together and on the same team.

LevityNYC

Banned
panda21 said:
is there no way to play with your friends currently? doesnt bother me but that seems like a bit of an oversight

Of course it wasn't an oversight. It was a way that Zipper tried to intentionally screw the hardcore Socom crowd that they hate so much all while they refuse to make a REAL Socom game.

:sarcasm:
:ihatethepeopleontheofficialsocomforums:

Greg

mr stroke said:
No specifics on features/how it's going to be implemented, but in general it will allow you to play with friends and clan mates outside of the clan challenges.

panda21 said:
is there no way to play with your friends currently? doesnt bother me but that seems like a bit of an oversight
Right now you have to manually try to get into the room your friends are in by using your friend/clan list, and coupled with how fast matchmaking refills the rooms once there are spots it's tough to get people in. And then on top of that, once you're in the room with your friends there's no way to easily switch teams so that you're on the same side.

J-Rzez

Zipper really has disappointed me here this time. I'm shocked an innovator in console online gaming from last gen, and who has a party system in their other flagship game this gen, can not get this party-system out there. We shouldn't have waited until June, we shouldn't have had to wait a few weeks after launch. This should have been there DAY ONE. It's one of the single-most important features to have in the game, and there's no excuse, none, to overlook it.

Between this patching stuff and the PSN disaster, S4 is probably not going to do too hot this time around. Which is a shame as outside of the party system non-sense, it's a brilliant game. But no party system + not being able to play the game = hurt on sales.

mr stroke

Greg said:
No specifics on features/how it's going to be implemented, but in general it will allow you to play with friends and clan mates outside of the clan challenges.

Right now you have to manually try to get into the room your friends are in by using your friend/clan list, and coupled with how fast matchmaking refills the rooms once there are spots it's tough to get people in. And then on top of that, once you're in the room with your friends there's no way to easily switch teams so that you're on the same side.

you mean the room resets with randoms every match?(Like Halo or COD)
I thought this was like previous Socoms were the rooms stay the same and the people I am playing with(friends or not) stay put until they leave?

Greg

mr stroke said:
you mean the room resets with randoms every match?(Like Halo or COD)
I thought this was like previous Socoms were the rooms stay the same and the people I am playing with(friends or not) stay put until they leave?
No, it doesn't reset. Once you're in a room you'll play the same people until they leave, and then matchmaking/people manually trying to join will fill the slots as it happens. The issue is that matchmaking usually keeps the rooms full before you can gather everyone you want to play with. The party system will cut out the need to manually join rooms and allow you to play as a group instead of a bunch of individuals trying to make their way in one at a time.

The one big plus for the lobby system in previous games was that it allowed you to find an empty room (or create one) and fill it with who you wanted to play with.

Raoh

There is some good news to consider with the psn down time (glass is half full). Many of the people that don't like socom most likely will not be returning. Their time to hate on the game in game will have passed I hope and they will go back to playing other games.

Hardcore fanatics will probably return but may be more open to playing socom 4 than before. Some will just be happy to be back like the rest of us.

So for the most part, I do expect that the majority of the people to play socom 4 are those that like it and less of the haters from before.

With that said.

PSN ID: LordRaoh

Invite me to the clan.

I just want Zipper to bring back custom taunts

"Don't run, You'll Only Die Tired."

Guess you guys can start with me, traded in my copy and paid off 'Brink'. S4 personally wasn't my cup of tea. My ID is MemoryCure. You can kick me out of the clan (obviously).

Sporran

the iront of this game is since its inception, start at Socom i have never played the SP, honest guv. For me socom was always about the online and team play.

Since PSN has been down, guess what, yes im playing the SP :D

It aint that bad!!

This sucks, played the MP for a day and was loving it. The SP isn't bad but it isn't anything special and has lots of issues, but damnit I bought this for MP.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Sporran said:
the iront of this game is since its inception, start at Socom i have never played the SP, honest guv. For me socom was always about the online and team play.

Since PSN has been down, guess what, yes im playing the SP :D

It aint that bad!!
Socom 3 had a good SP, probably the best in the series

have'nt played 4 yet so.

I dont get the issues with the friends thing, zippers other game mag is fucking perfect in every aspect of playing with friends and clan mates.

Persona7

Banned
I love the Trophy thumbnails.

I wish Zipper would have thought about implementing a way to just play on a multiplayer map without any enemies for the sake of exploring and tactics. Like a training mode that loads a map you want and you can select if you want to play alone and explore or bring in some bots.

Also, Harvester would be awesome in Socom 4.

UFRA

Finished the campaign in about 6ish hours. Overall it was cool and pretty fun. I wish there were better opportunities to issue commands to your teammates. The maps were a little bottlenecked usually and meant spreading your team out wasn't that easy. The stealth missions were cool at first but then got a little cheesy later on IMO. Either way, it felt nice to play a full-fledged SOCOM game again instead of the online-only Confrontation.

Can't wait for PSN to be up so I can spend the rest of my days in multiplayer. :D I put like 20 hours into the beta, which is more than I ever put into a beta...I'm addicted!

Persona7

Banned
mr stroke said:
grabbed this off Amazon last night for $40. Hopefully PSN comes back ASAP
Oh wow, they dropped the price by 10 bucks and my friend literally bought it the day before at full price.

they gave him a 10 dollar gift credit, that was quick

it seems the page updated again, weird

Persona7 said:
Oh wow, they dropped the price by 10 bucks and my friend literally bought it the day before at full price.

tell your friend to contact amazon, they might honor the new price if he bought it the day before the change.

*edit* just checked, the price is $45.99, not $40

mr stroke

Cheech said:
When was this 40?? I checked the last two days, and it's 54.

Check the new Amazon 3rd party sellers. They have been at $40-47 for the weekend, price has been going up and down. Nabbed one at $40 late last night

Jtrizzy

Really enjoying the single player. Its a nice blend of Rainbow Six, MGS4, and Uncharted control schemes. Is there a way to disable the zoom from staying up every time I aim?

3d is well done in this game too. Is it possible to share the missions you create?

W1SSY

Jtrizzy said:
Is there a way to disable the zoom from staying up every time I aim?
Do you mean going into red dot when you zoom? If so hit R3 and then it will go to an over the shoulder instead. Any time you hit R3 and go into red dot it will go into that view when you zoom unless you hit R3 to back out of it. Slightly annoying at first but after awhile you learn how to deal with it.

Ashes

Banned
What is up with all these casualties on this page?

edit: mystery solved. It's from the other thread, is my best guess.

Jtrizzy

W1SSY said:
Do you mean going into red dot when you zoom? If so hit R3 and then it will go to an over the shoulder instead. Any time you hit R3 and go into red dot it will go into that view when you zoom unless you hit R3 to back out of it. Slightly annoying at first but after awhile you learn how to deal with it.
I wish you could disable that...is that supposed to make it more realistic somehow?

I just wish they would give us custom controls...no one does it in console games and it fucking annoys me. X would be better as the prone button too...you hardly use the jump/vault button anyway.

Greg

Jtrizzy said:
I wish you could disable that...is that supposed to make it more realistic somehow?

I just wish they would give us custom controls...no one does it in console games and it fucking annoys me. X would be better as the prone button too...you hardly use the jump/vault button anyway.
Nah, I doubt it's for realism - probably just the easiest way they thought to combine 2 views to a single button. Using the OTS view is pointless in SP, so it's probably best to have the sights on as default anyways.

I definitely agree with the custom controls though. The jump button mapped to X makes sense when you're playing online because it's used frequently, but I'd love to remap the run button off L3. For how often you have to use the button, constantly pressing it seems to ruin the sticks.

Jtrizzy

I would love to hear why devs can't just give us the pre sets, but also allow for re mapping. It used to be in sports games and shooter, but now you never see it...so frustrating...I hate aiming and having to click out of my sights most of all...let us toggle that please Zipper!

Jtrizzy said:
I would love to hear why devs can't just give us the pre sets, but also allow for re mapping. It used to be in sports games and shooter, but now you never see it...so frustrating...I hate aiming and having to click out of my sights most of all...let us toggle that please Zipper!

I too think it's stupid that developers don't give us fully customizable controls anymore. They can still stick to developing the game with certain pre-sets in mind. Of course many configurations you could make will make playing difficult, but people won't be retarded and make those.

Bradach

Almost finished the single player campaign on normal and i have to say the AI is really good. I find myself being pushed back by flanking or rushing enemies regularly. sometimes i just panic, run off into the bushes and get shot in the ass :)

mr stroke

I just got this and its been sitting all week since the single player blows. I am itching to play multi WTF SONY! :(

Sony should consider making Socom PC and PS3 from now on. Let SOE handle the online for PC. Its only more money in their pockets.

plainr_

mr stroke said:
I just got this and its been sitting all week since the single player blows. I am itching to play multi WTF SONY! :(

Sony should consider making Socom PC and PS3 from now on. Let SOE handle the online for PC. Its only more money in their pockets.

I would pay loads for this.

LevityNYC

Banned
Game beaten... love the combat missions...I really liked the first and the last mission.

I prefer the game had small missions for you and your team, or at least non controllable friendly AI. Its kind of ridiculous that your team of 5 can take on an entire army at times.

Hate hate hated the stealth missions though...too many of them...slowed the game down and if you were spotted, it was fucking game over.

mr stroke

At what point does everyone bail out of waiting for multiplayer? If Sony takes another week or two will there be any community left outside of the hardcore?

mr stroke said:
At what point does everyone bail out of waiting for multiplayer? If Sony takes another week or two will there be any community left outside of the hardcore?

Good question. Probably there will be considerably less players, especially if any good shooters release soon or have released during the PSN downtime.

Greg

The sad thing is that they made a ton of changes to cater to a new audience, and those are the same people that are going to ditch the game once the next big thing comes out. It wouldn't be an issue if they attracted enough attention soon after the game's launch, but the PSN being down really cut into the time they could capitalize before some other titles released.

I'm sure anyone who purchased the game already is pretty excited to get back online regardless of how long PSN stays down, but they definitely missed out on some people that were on the fence.

Raoh

mr stroke said:

It's a hard call to make.

If it were killzone 3, call of duty, resistance, mag, etc.. people might have bailed already..

But looking at it from another perspective. There aren't many games like socom to enjoy. The traditional socom or the new one.

mr stroke

Just had three days off to poop sock this multiplayer and its still not up AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Giving Sony until next week, after that I will be trading this in for Witcher 2 and Sony can eat my butt

Top Bottom