• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM 4 |OT|

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
beast786 said:
just started the sp with move. is it just me or the sp grapics looks really nice.

They do indeed. It's a quite good looking game.

On a side note, bare in mind that (for some reason) tweaks and modifications to the Move controls and other stuff introduced with some early patches only apply to MP.

What you are missing now are basically the new camera (pulled back and with a 20% increase of field of view) and a more sensitive cursor (less latency).

CatPee

bdizzle said:
I don't have the game, but I heard it's Uncharted 2 level. Is that true?

When it comes to textures on the character models, yea. However, the faces look like crap and the art style isn't anything to write home about. I will say that the game loads extremely fast for both SP and MP though.

W1SSY

bdizzle said:
I don't have the game, but I heard it's Uncharted 2 level. Is that true?
I don't know about Uncharted 2 level but they do look pretty good.

I amthinking about picking up the move tomorrow since it is on sale at Best Buy. I may give it a go on SOCOM to see how it plays if I do pick it up but I do not expect I will stop playing with my DS3 anytime soon.

Aaron

W1SSY said:
I don't know about Uncharted 2 level but they do look pretty good.

I amthinking about picking up the move tomorrow since it is on sale at Best Buy. I may give it a go on SOCOM to see how it plays if I do pick it up but I do not expect I will stop playing with my DS3 anytime soon.
Make sure you try it with the gun shell. Compared to just holding the move in your hand is like night and day. Personally, I have no wish to go back to the DS3. Headshots are so much more satisfying when they're not a result of auto-aim. Also, running across a field mowing guys down with a machine-gun feels total badass.

panda21

europe is automatically in socom pro right? or is there some code i need to enter?

can't wait to get home and try some classic mode.

the maps in this are fantastic. i take it there are no snow maps since there were no snow environments in the game? i <3 snow maps.

panda21 said:
europe is automatically in socom pro right? or is there some code i need to enter?

can't wait to get home and try some classic mode.

the maps in this are fantastic. i take it there are no snow maps since there were no snow environments in the game? i <3 snow maps.

Europe is automatically in Socom Pro, yes.

There are no snow maps unfortunately.

The game looks pretty good, though is rough around the edges. The character models and shadowing can be pretty weak and effects like fire and explosions look awkward, but it is a pretty good looking game overall.

W1SSY

Razor 81 said:
http://www.socom.com/en-us/Blog/Post?id=421

It really takes way to long to mod a gun in MP now. I agree that it was somewhat to fast in the beta but holy sheeet!! What a difference! Sweet spot should be somewhere between how it was in the beta and now.
I would like it faster but if you plan on playing this game for a long time then it can give you something to work for I guess. In reality I will probably only pick one gun of each type and mod all the way.

bob page

I was on vacation for a week and just found out that PSN is back. Definitely looking forward to heading online again tomorrow.

Sethos

Banned
I guess we have to endure the initial surge of Call of Duty tards? I was playing Classic Suppression, i.e not respawn and all camping gameplay and you get fucking messaged by little tweeners "lol camper", "lol try run&gun" :| Are you kidding me? SO many game-modes to choose from, even modes that fit their ADHD style of gameplay and they join my game and start messaging me.

Fuck off.

Sethos said:
I guess we have to endure the initial surge of Call of Duty tards? I was playing Classic Suppression, i.e not respawn and all camping gameplay and you get fucking messaged by little tweeners "lol camper", "lol try run&gun" :| Are you kidding me? SO many game-modes to choose from, even modes that fit their ADHD style of gameplay and they join my game and start messaging me.

Fuck off.

Haha, what twerps. In classic suppression even if nothing is happening you're not supposed to run and gun, you're supposed to creep forward being as unnoticeable as possible.

In classic bomb squad you're even supposed to camp, more or less. I had an awesome game yesterday on Von Heine Express where it was down to just me and the enemy bomb tech, who had close to full health. I had to shoot him a little from behind and hide somewhere else, so I was running a circle around him. All the while he was constantly saying "Where did he go? Where is he?!" :D

I haven't yet decided if I'm most comfortable running up to a bomb tech and knifing him while he's defusing or just laying into his head from a distance. If he's a noob, you'll be fine knifing him, but a better player will feint or turn around in time and own you with his shotgun.

Sethos

Banned
Giriath_89 said:
Haha, what twerps. In classic suppression even if nothing is happening you're not supposed to run and gun, you're supposed to creep forward being as unnoticeable as possible.

In classic bomb squad you're even supposed to camp, more or less. I had an awesome game yesterday on Von Heine Express where it was down to just me and the enemy bomb tech, who had close to full health. I had to shoot him a little from behind and hide somewhere else, so I was running a circle around him. All the while he was constantly saying "Where did he go? Where is he?!" :D

Haha, that's what makes these slower paced game-modes so much fun, you get to toy around with the enemy and when you pull it off, it's so damn satisfying. It seems most people know the 'rules' of the Classic modes but it's those new players that venture in and are completely oblivious to the settings and what comes with the little magical word, "Classic".

Oh by the way, what's the requirement for getting MVP in suppression? Played a few matches and some of them I completely annihilated the enemy team and was above and beyond everyone on my team in K/D ratio and kills, yet I was sitting in the middle of the scoreboard and some random player got MVP. I was expecting a mode about killing would give the people with the highest kill-count the MVP but I assume there's other factors in play?

Greg

Sethos said:
Haha, that's what makes these slower paced game-modes so much fun, you get to toy around with the enemy and when you pull it off, it's so damn satisfying. It seems most people know the 'rules' of the Classic modes but it's those new players that venture in and are completely oblivious to the settings and what comes with the little magical word, "Classic".

Oh by the way, what's the requirement for getting MVP in suppression? Played a few matches and some of them I completely annihilated the enemy team and was above and beyond everyone on my team in K/D ratio and kills, yet I was sitting in the middle of the scoreboard and some random player got MVP. I was expecting a mode about killing would give the people with the highest kill-count the MVP but I assume there's other factors in play?
Classic Suppression is pretty awful right now until they implement some kind of guns hot again. The series has always been camping-friendly, but these maps take it to another level. The other classic modes are pretty balanced though in terms of being accepting of multiple playstyles/allowing you to force campers out.

And I never figured it out the MVP system. I know you have to be on the winning team to get MVP, but beyond that it's not clear. Also, the 'scoreboard' isn't an ordered list, so don't pay too much attention to that.

Sethos

Banned
Greg said:
Classic Suppression is pretty awful right now until they implement some kind of guns hot again. The series has always been camping-friendly, but these maps take it to another level. The other classic modes are pretty balanced though in terms of being accepting of multiple playstyles/allowing you to force campers out.

And I never figured it out the MVP system. I know you have to be on the winning team to get MVP, but beyond that it's not clear. Also, the 'scoreboard' isn't an ordered list, so don't pay too much attention to that.

I'm enjoying it right now, the only problem I have is the 'Call of Duty' feel you get when it comes to snipers, Christ you don't want to be exposing an inch of your body anywhere or you'll be punished. I have this thing for really slow pace, just sitting around waiting until I get old and the feeling of every kill matters, i.e the no respawn part.

Normally I don't care much about the scoreboard, I just want that nice little MVP +exp bonus, that's sometimes 40%+ of what you made the entire match.

But the game has so much potential, it reminds me so much of my old darling, Rainbow Six: Vegas (1, not 2 ), a game I played for years and I just couldn't put it down.

Lyonaz

Game is €39.99 at my local gameshop same with Killzone 3, Bulletstorm and Motorstorm Apocalypse.
Combine that with the Get 3 Buy 2 sale they're having, I'm getting this tomorrow.

Just in time since the PSN went online again.

panda21

i wonder what the content to make up for the downtime that they announced will be.

free maps? that would be so boss

i wonder if there is any reason this doesnt support custom soundtrack, and is that something it is possible to patch in later? because playing a lot of this game (or any MP game) and hearing the same music all the time is not great.

I wouldn't expect more than a double xp period or something for the downtime. Free maps would be awesome, but I fear that lost sales from the outage will have them trying to recoup through dlc possibly...

Greg

Yeah, I highly doubt it's going to be content - maybe an XP bonus or something similar. I think any content that comes in the near future they're going to save for the Pro membership so that they can get that out of the way and start rolling out the paid DLC.

And I immediately turn the music off on any SOCOM game online. The audio design isn't as good as Confrontation, but the music is only a distraction from directional cues. I guess custom soundtracks would be fun though for respawn - I usually have my music playing in the background anyways.

Yea the gun sounds are pretty weak in this game, and lot of the sounds seem recycled from MAG which was not the best sounding game. Confrontation had some fantastic sounding guns and used real recordings of firearms from what I remember.

GodofWine

BattleMonkey said:
Yea the gun sounds are pretty weak in this game, and lot of the sounds seem recycled from MAG which was not the best sounding game. Confrontation had some fantastic sounding guns and used real recordings of firearms from what I remember.

I never understood how the gun sound quality would go from Socom Conf. (great) to MAG (airsoft weak)...every game should sound as good as S:C's guns.

BeeDog

GodofWine said:
I never understood how the gun sound quality would go from Socom Conf. (great) to MAG (airsoft weak)...every game should sound as good as S:C's guns.

Easy, different developers.

Greg

Yeah, the sound design on that game was amazing - easily my favorite from this gen so far. You could hear gunshots across the map and distinguish the specific gun and area the shots came from. There were tons of unique surface sounds for footsteps and sound filters based on location and surroundings - and it also applied to the proximity chat.

I'd say 95% of the clans we played in its later months were filled with people that had nice headsets/headphones.

mr stroke

This is now back on sale at Amazon. May have to re buy again.

Are the servers full and community back(easy to find a game)or is the game empty?

Greg

You won't have any issues finding a full game - the map on socom.com was lit up the night PSN went back up, and that was like 3 or 4AM EST when I was on.

JCreasy

I would just like to state here for the record that back in 2009 I had a crazy idea that no one paid attention to . . .

JCreasy said:
Sony, SOCOM needs a real reboot. People need to respect that brand again. That game has to command respect the way God of War 3 does.

Wow us at E3 2011 with a brand new SOCOM game, third-person, Uncharted 2/God of War 3 level of graphics, character models and detail, awesome gun detail and texture like Killzone 2.

Oh, and call it SOCOM: Seal Team Six or SOCOM: DEVGRU. It's gotta be about the ELITE Navy Seals, the DELTA counterparts.

Ok, go . . .

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16371061&postcount=1

Imagine if Sony would have actually launched the game I imagined here . . .

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
is there an online pass to redeem for this game? My friend wants to buy it and I cant remember if there was one. If he cant get online with PSN store down he will just wait...

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Trin3785 said:
is there an online pass to redeem for this game? My friend wants to buy it and I cant remember if there was one. If he cant get online with PSN store down he will just wait...
There's one for NA copies of the game, but you don't need it to play online. It's kinda like ME2's Cerberus Network, i.e. free future content. You can actually redeem it right now via the Account Management site since you don't actually download anything to your system and it just ties itself to your PSN account services.

Greg

I just got my first weapon to Mod 5... and the stat page says 546 kills with the gun(not sure if stats have updated yet). My weapon on the other side just hit 4 and it's around 400 kills, so it looks to be the same across the board.

They should change the requirements back to how they were initially set in the beta - 550 kills is a bit overboard for most people.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Alright, Socom 4 Elite is getting very annoying. Got 4 missions left to do and they're getting tougher and tougher. Some of them I'd be stuck on 1 checkpoint and I can't quit because there's no mid-mission save. Duuuumbbb

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Wario64 said:
Alright, Socom 4 Elite is getting very annoying. Got 4 missions left to do and they're getting tougher and tougher. Some of them I'd be stuck on 1 checkpoint and I can't quit because there's no mid-mission save. Duuuumbbb
That last section in the second to last mission is ridiculously frustrating.

Raoh

JCreasy said:
I would just like to state here for the record that back in 2009 I had a crazy idea that no one paid attention to . . .

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16371061&postcount=1

Imagine if Sony would have actually launched the game I imagined here . . .

I posted a similar comment on the socom forums. Such a missed opportunity. A real socom game out at the time of the announcement of osama being killed by a team of navy seals could have relaunched the marketing campaign. give out free copies to the military, create new skins based on the team.

etc etc etc......

the old single player missions also felt more like a military operation, socom 4 story felt like .. a bad stage play production of a made for tv military movie...

moai

so i finally opened my copy and played the first mission. then i fired up multi and saw a huge spoiler:

general that "dies" at the beginning as a skin for the insurgents

am i right or just seeing things?

W1SSY

moai said:
so i finally opened my copy and played the first mission. then i fired up multi and saw a huge spoiler:

am i right or just seeing things?
Yea that kind of gives it away.

Top Bottom