• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM 4 |OT|

sleepykyo said:
Someone in the psn is down thread posted that weapon levels don't carry over to mp. Do the unlocks carry over at least?

Not sure if i understand your question but in MP you got to rank up your weapons just like in SP. Nothing carries over. You unlock the same stuff it just takes you like 10 times as long at least.

Greg

sleepykyo said:
Someone in the psn is down thread posted that weapon levels don't carry over to mp. Do the unlocks carry over at least?
Yeah, what Razor said.

SP/co-op weapons and mods carry back and forth to each other, but MP are separate.

I never got a chance to mod one of my weapons fully from the time that MP was up in retail, but going from the beta when they changed the requirements, it's somewhere between 400 and 500 kills to mod a weapon to 5.

btkadams

mr stroke said:
Just had three days off to poop sock this multiplayer and its still not up AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Giving Sony until next week, after that I will be trading this in for Witcher 2 and Sony can eat my butt
they already have your money. well, i guess they lose a sale if someone buys your used copy.

sleepykyo

Greg said:
Yeah, what Razor said.

SP/co-op weapons and mods carry back and forth to each other, but MP are separate.

I never got a chance to mod one of my weapons fully from the time that MP was up in retail, but going from the beta when they changed the requirements, it's somewhere between 400 and 500 kills to mod a weapon to 5.

Noooooo~I guess that shouldn't be too bad given how I'll be playing the noob modes.

This has to be the worst SP experience I've had in a shooter in a long time. Maybe not as poor as Homefront, but close.

I'm on the frigate level, playing on Hard, and I have no idea what to do. I step out, the thing shots and kills me. Every time I send my teammates, they get ambushed and die. Sometimes I make it to the end, only to have the screen suddenly cut to black because I guess the frigate (or another ambush from nowhere) got one of my teammates at the last second. Following the waypoints also seems to be a sure fire way to die as well.

When people talk about a game wasting time and resources on SP and it then hurting MP because of it, this is the game they are talking about.

Jtrizzy

Enemy ai is pretty good, while the teammates are bad. The 3d effect is really nice in this game though. It makes the single player much more fun.

W1SSY

CartridgeBlower said:
This has to be the worst SP experience I've had in a shooter in a long time. Maybe not as poor as Homefront, but close.

I'm on the frigate level, playing on Hard, and I have no idea what to do. I step out, the thing shots and kills me. Every time I send my teammates, they get ambushed and die. Sometimes I make it to the end, only to have the screen suddenly cut to black because I guess the frigate (or another ambush from nowhere) got one of my teammates at the last second. Following the waypoints also seems to be a sure fire way to die as well.

When people talk about a game wasting time and resources on SP and it then hurting MP because of it, this is the game they are talking about.
I beat the game on hard and at no point did I get completely stuck. I did have a couple times when I died multiple times but after awhile I figured out what I needed to do.

I have never really heard a complaint about a game having single player and taking focus off of the multiplayer, it is almost always the other way around and I am glad that they did have a single player game because without that I would have got little to no play time with SOCOM yet. I feel like a multiplayer only game is a hard sale really can limit the number of people that buy the game.

demolitio

W1SSY said:
I beat the game on hard and at no point did I get completely stuck. I did have a couple times when I died multiple times but after awhile I figured out what I needed to do.

I have never really heard a complaint about a game having single player and taking focus off of the multiplayer, it is almost always the other way around and I am glad that they did have a single player game because without that I would have got little to no play time with SOCOM yet. I feel like a multiplayer only game is a hard sale really can limit the number of people that buy the game.
After S:C, there's no way Sony wasn't going to have a SP campaign once Zipper was back in charge since they got a lot of criticism for it even though it was more of a budget title with a small developer new to console gaming and was seen as a quick fix and not a true number in the series. To go without a SP in S4 would have been stupid since that's a big part of drawing in new players to the series and it's always been a part of SOCOM with most of them having great campaigns. This one was only average to me but I knew it was their way of trying to appeal to the mainstream market while slowly adapting them to MP with the standard mode to appeal to the more casual crowd and then hope they move on up to classic mode once they're familiar with the game and how to play as a team.

I never had a problem in the campaign either besides maybe 4 retries or so trying to perfect a small section of a level. Other than that, it definitely wasn't hard and I liked how it only took a few bullets to die which made it more tactical than most shooters out there. It's funny how glad I am that SP existed since I only had pretty much one night to play MP. It sucks to wait that long through a big delay just to have it taken away from you once you finally got your hands on it.

I just feel really bad for Zipper and other devs that had a game just come out. I can't imagine how shitty it must feel to have PSN go down and affecting the sales of your game that you make a living off of, especially a game like this that has a harsh fanbase that will use these stats against them on the forum as if it didn't sell as well due to the changes and not even account for PSN being down. The forum is a joke with many assholes that don't even like the game supposedly but stay on there night and day to make negative comments and argue with people as if they have some sort of agenda or something instead of moving on. I'm hoping that since some of them can't post on the forum that they'll finally move on by now and go back to what gaming is supposed to be about...Having fun! We all know most of the guys there will play this game anyway and I know a few that even have alternate accounts just to keep their "street cred" on the forum.

demolitio

Jtrizzy said:
Really wish you could toggle off the ads. Does anyone anctually prefer that?
It's helpful for long-range engagements but it's not something I care is there or not, but I don't see it being too big of a deal after they patched the normal accuracy which is all that mattered to me as a run 'n' gunner. As I see it, it's there for people who want to use it and those who don't want to don't have to. I use it to help me out for picking off people a mile away and that's it.

Smokey

Fucking Sony.

Bought this game and Portal 2 during the week that PSN went down. Now I have a new gaming PC that I built and my desire to play Socom 4 is now pretty much gone :/

Greg

Until the PC has SOCOM, the desire will never be gone.

Even though I'm sure you have quite the backlog to work through if this is your first recent PC, at least you can take comfort in knowing a bulk of the community won't leave this game until the new SOCOM.

Greg

Game is a bit laggy at the moment. It ran perfect on launch, so I'm assuming it's just the relaunch that's getting to it.

Got 2 matches in, but it's 3 AM here and time for sleep. Good to be back though.

demolitio

God have I missed this game. Now the hard part is reviving my clan since this probably took away what recruits I did manage to get on the first night. :(

I really wish they didn't even touch the weapon mod system in the beta since it's going to take forever to even get mod 3 on my gun let alone all the guns I use. It basically favors those with one playstyle that plays a lot while the multirole players like myself are left with unmodded weapons. It's going to take some serious playtime, but my first few games I was 20-9 and then 39-10 so at least I'm doing well. I just wish more points are rewarded for objectives and that they can go towards your weapon too.

Anyway, add me on PSN if you need a buddy. PSN: Demolitio

Edit: I didn't experience any lag tonight, but it might be that you got in a bad room since I doubt there's that many rooms up right now so you could be playing against people on the other side of the world, lol. Hell, I waited 20 minutes to get enough in a queue to get in a classic game but then just gave up and did standard. So not many classic rooms were up right away.

Persona7

Banned
plainr_ said:
Finally!

55mb update.
Is that just the update that has been available since the game launched?

I didn't get a prompt.

god damn those two matches I just played felt so good

I kind of miss harvester though

Greg

demolitio said:
God have I missed this game. Now the hard part is reviving my clan since this probably took away what recruits I did manage to get on the first night. :(

I really wish they didn't even touch the weapon mod system in the beta since it's going to take forever to even get mod 3 on my gun let alone all the guns I use. It basically favors those with one playstyle that plays a lot while the multirole players like myself are left with unmodded weapons. It's going to take some serious playtime, but my first few games I was 20-9 and then 39-10 so at least I'm doing well. I just wish more points are rewarded for objectives and that they can go towards your weapon too.

Anyway, add me on PSN if you need a buddy. PSN: Demolitio
Yeah, mods are going to be a pain. I'm ~400 kills into one two different SMGs, and it's only about halfway through mod 4 into 5.

Going to send you a friend request right now before I sign off though. I'll probably just be in random respawn rooms until the party system is patched in and I can play with my clan, so I'm sure you'll see me around.

EDIT: Your friend list is at max, so I'll catch you another time. I need some sleep.

Persona7 said:
Is that just the update that has been available since the game launched?

I didn't get a prompt.
Yeah, no prompt for me, so he was probably getting the launch one.

Vega

I've never been much of a online gamer but, I started playing this morning. God, am i terrible. These fuckers are destroying me within seconds. :(

Jtrizzy

I like the co op for sure, the MP is growing on me even I prefer fps. The quick play mode is decent, but too CODish. Tonight I will try the other modes. Psn is jtrizzy.

Jtrizzy

Vega said:
I've never been much of a online gamer but, I started playing this morning. God, am i terrible. These fuckers are destroying me within seconds. :(
The main thing I forget is that even with the changes, this is still SOCOM, which I haven't played in years. I don't mean this in a bad way, but SOCOM is about camping, playing slowly, and using cover. I like that personally, but it requires patience.

panda21

damn this game is so good. playing standard to get back into the feel of it but i love it.

are SMGs really the best? which one is the most useful?

LevityNYC

Banned
Its fucking great. Little to no lag at all....only issue is not that many people are using mics. Can we set up mic only ranked rooms?

Greg

panda21 said:
damn this game is so good. playing standard to get back into the feel of it but i love it.

are SMGs really the best? which one is the most useful?
They're all pretty well-rounded once you mod them, but I stick with the PDW/KP5 because of the firerate boost once you hit Mod 3. The recoil is crazy on the PDW's ADS, so I'd keep OTS for the alternate view. The KP5 doesn't have much recoil at all, so ADS is fine.

I think the weapons are balanced enough that they all have their place, but I mainly rush, so SMGs are a good fit. You should win any firefight at a relatively close distance, and they're effective enough at mid-range if you get the jump considering you have a silencer.

LevityNYC said:
Its fucking great. Little to no lag at all....only issue is not that many people are using mics. Can we set up mic only ranked rooms?
Yeha, it's running great already in the other games I played this morning. The lag I commented on yesterday ended up being a connection issue on my part.

Raoh

Slow Clap for those that beat Socom 4 on Elite.

WOW...

I'll try Elite on another run, definitely not my day for it.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm doing Socom 4 elite right now. It's not that bad but not being able to save mid mission is stupid (unless I'm totally overlooking something)

Also using this run to pick up the collectibles because I'm crazy like that

Sethos

Banned
Tried joining some Classic Suppression matches, kept getting vote-kicked or, the vote was initialized but never went through, same happened with a few other players. Why, is it fun to constantly start a vote to kick random people or what the hell is going on?

Greg

Raoh said:
Slow Clap for those that beat Socom 4 on Elite.

WOW...

I'll try Elite on another run, definitely not my day for it.
Just find a decent position for your squad and spam the target marks. I didn't realize how terrible my teammates aimed unless I specified a target. You can do almost no work as long as they have targets.

If the enemies are more spread out, tag them separately for each team (yellow gets some, blue gets some) - if the enemies are close together you can assign both teams to the same target.

Wario64 said:
I'm doing Socom 4 elite right now. It's not that bad but not being able to save mid mission is stupid (unless I'm totally overlooking something)

Also using this run to pick up the collectibles because I'm crazy like that
Nope, no saving in the middle.

And you're probably already aware, but when you're collecting the taroccos you only have to get them once and they save. It threw me off because I would pick one up, die before a checkpoint, and then it would spawn again.

Sethos said:
Tried joining some Classic Suppression matches, kept getting vote-kicked or, the vote was initialized but never went through, same happened with a few other players. Why, is it fun to constantly start a vote to kick random people or what the hell is going on?
Until the party system is in and/or they add a penalty for repeated failed votes like in Confrontation, I don't see that changing any time soon.

Jtrizzy said:
I want to like this, but the lack of party system and the inability to toggle zoom make it hard.
You've mentioned it before, but what exactly is your issue? I think I'm misinterpreting.

While you're holding L1, R3 will toggle between OTS and ADS zoom (if your gun has an attachment for ADS). The next time you press L1 your most recent selection will be the default. While playing online the default view gets switched back to OTS every game.

Persona7

Banned
output-969x440.jpg

Sethos said:
I know that in Confrontation and earlier Socoms it meant: "TURN THE FUCK AROUND THERE's A GUY BEHIND YOU!!!" So you could turn around and pop his head.

Trevelyan

Banned
Just jumped into some games online... and I'm doing a lot better than I thought I would. Team came out victorious a majority of the time, I had a positive k/d, and even won MVP, haha. I really wanna try the co-op though, see how that is.

So uh.. what are the recommended settings for Move players? Finally played my first MP game today and didn't do too well (still won, though), so any configuration tips are appreciated.

Cheech

Now that PSN is finally back up, I'm looking forward to getting some actual impressions.

Are there any classic SOCOM 1 maps with the game? That's really where I made my bones with this series. I played a little bit of SOCOM 2, but only a fraction of the amount of time I put into SOCOM 1.

Don't really care about a lobby or anything. I really just want an updated SOCOM 1, which I certainly did not get with Confrontation. What a shitfest.

Jtrizzy

Greg said:
You've mentioned it before, but what exactly is your issue? I think I'm misinterpreting.

While you're holding L1, R3 will toggle between OTS and ADS zoom (if your gun has an attachment for ADS). The next time you press L1 your most recent selection will be the default. While playing online the default view gets switched back to OTS every game.
When I zoom in, then click R3 I wish it would reset to the over the shoulder the next time I press L1 instead of the sights still being up. I don't like having to click R3 to unzoom.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, it seemed to be this way online as it was the same.

Greg

Jtrizzy said:
When I zoom in, then click R3 I wish it would reset to the over the shoulder the next time I press L1 instead of the sights still being up. I don't like having to click R3 to unzoom.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, it seemed to be this way online as it was the same.
Ah, I see what you're saying. I actually like how it saves because rarely do I need to use OTS unless my gun doesn't have a scope, or the recoil is so high (most SMGs) that's it's ineffective to use ADS. Firing from the hip is just about as accurate as OTS, and on top of that you don't sacrifice your aim speed while using it.

I can definitely see how someone would like the option for it to reset though.

W1SSY

Just jumped into my first game since it came back online and I really just love this game. I cannot wait for them to roll out the planned patches for the game but this is a solid release and a good foundation for them to build on.

demolitio

This is like Christmas to finally play this game again. Nothing's worse than spending $60 on a game you've been waiting this whole generation for just to only play it 1 day before PSN goes down...It was like they were toying with us.

I'm bummed that this not only pushes some of the patches back, but I'm sure the first free SOCOM Pro DLC will be delayed quite a bit too which is a damn shame since I miss my M16. The AK47 should be interesting to see how different it is from the other Merc guns. I wonder how similar to the 74 it will be....

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Cheech said:
Now that PSN is finally back up, I'm looking forward to getting some actual impressions.

Are there any classic SOCOM 1 maps with the game? That's really where I made my bones with this series. I played a little bit of SOCOM 2, but only a fraction of the amount of time I put into SOCOM 1.

Don't really care about a lobby or anything. I really just want an updated SOCOM 1, which I certainly did not get with Confrontation. What a shitfest.
Never played any other SOCOM, but I think the only classic map in the game is Abandoned (Gamestop pre order only). You can view flythroughs of all the maps over at socom.com.

W1SSY

Killthee said:
Never played any other SOCOM, but I think the only classic map in the game is Abandoned (Gamestop pre order only). You can view flythroughs of all the maps over at socom.com.
Yea Abandoned is the only original map. But from the new maps I have played so far they all seem pretty good.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Revolutionary said:
So uh.. what are the recommended settings for Move players? Finally played my first MP game today and didn't do too well (still won, though), so any configuration tips are appreciated.

You need to adjust to the Move first, and that takes a few game sessions. But anyway, reduce the normal and gameplay deadzones to minimal (leave the scope one as is). The sooner you turn the better. Then, increase camera speeds to the max and the cursor sensitivity to almost max (5 or 6 tabs below top is what I use).

If you are using the Sharpshooter, detach it and put it back in the box. Use the Move alone. SOCOM 4 vanilla Move implementation is already less optimal (and less novice friendly) than the KZ3 one as is. Using the Sharpshooter makes it even more difficult to adjust to the different control system.

At the beginning of this video there are other tips about how to hold the Move (it's KZ3 related, but it applies to SOCOM 4 as well): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWF0yZCmpNo

Top Bottom