• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM 4 |OT|

LevityNYC

Banned
Is anyone else online having mic issues. I can hear people, but they can't hear me. When i press the talk button on the dpad, my name does not pop up...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
1 more mission to complete on Elite and I'm almost done with the plat. I don't look forward to playing it tomorrow. It's the 2nd to last mission :/

sleepykyo

LevityNYC said:
Is anyone else online having mic issues. I can hear people, but they can't hear me. When i press the talk button on the dpad, my name does not pop up...

There's a talk button, I always thought it was universal open channel? What are the dpad assignments online?

LevityNYC

Banned
I figured out the issue. Tap to Talk doesn't work with the Move. It works fine with the controller, but not the move.

Zipper needs to patch that ASAP as the Move really is pretty cool to use for this game

Its UP on the D-pad, but it doesn't worth with the Nav controller or the regular controller if you are using the Move.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
gibration said:
While I was in a match a pop up came up saying they were going to have server maintenance in 5 minutes so that's most likely why.

Yeah, I saw that. I couldn't connect for a while before that tho.

How long does it usually take for the servers to be back up after maintenance?

LevityNYC

Banned
Yeah, you can't use tap to talk with the sharpshooter, the move, or any other non default control options in Classic mode.

On the Socom forums, Zipper claims to be working on a fix but with no timetable.

I appreciate Zipper acknowledging the problem and working on a fix, but how they heck does that slip past QA anyway? People apparently complained about this in the Beta. If you are going to have a Beta, how don't you have a fix ready soon after launch?

I know nothing about video game programming, but this seems like one of those things that shouldn't happen, especially if you are going to release a product specificially used for the game you are releasing.

magicaltrevor said:
Any word on a fix for the flawed cover system?
If so, then I might buy this game after all.

How is it flawed?

LevityNYC said:
Yeah, you can't use tap to talk with the sharpshooter, the move, or any other non default control options in Classic mode.

On the Socom forums, Zipper claims to be working on a fix but with no timetable.

I appreciate Zipper acknowledging the problem and working on a fix, but how they heck does that slip past QA anyway? People apparently complained about this in the Beta. If you are going to have a Beta, how don't you have a fix ready soon after launch?

I know nothing about video game programming, but this seems like one of those things that shouldn't happen, especially if you are going to release a product specificially used for the game you are releasing.

Always stuff in betas that get reported dont get fixed right away, often there just isn't enough time to fix everything they have to work on or do. The downtime for PSN and having to update the SDK is also delaying any further game updates which makes it worse.

LevityNYC said:

Don't get me going on QA. So many games have some retarded design and issues that shouldn't be possible to miss even at the early stages of development.

Ugh. The HS-36 is only accurate when you get the foregrip and ACOG scope, but fully upgraded it is the best insurgent AR by far in my opinion. It just takes so long to get there. :(

The FDO-11 only has 20 bullets in a magazine and no scope or silencer but it has great stopping power at close- to mid-range.

The IW-80-A2 is a dream when staying hidden in a place with great vision of the map. You can stay prone or behind cover, pop out and be confident that your first bullet will be a headshot.

One guy running around flanking with a DK2 inspired me to start leveling it as my secondary AR for Spec-Ops, on smaller maps like Sacrifice with lots of places to hide.

W1SSY

Giriath_89 said:
Ugh. The HS-36 is only accurate when you get the foregrip and ACOG scope, but fully upgraded it is the best insurgent AR by far in my opinion. It just takes so long to get there. :(

In the beta my roommate loved the 36 but I just couldn't deal with the inaccurate fire. I usually rock the AK myself.

panda21

is there a mute all option in this? in europe often at least half the people you come across using mics arent speaking english, and its really annoying having to mute them all one by one.

W1SSY

panda21 said:
is there a mute all option in this? in europe often at least half the people you come across using mics arent speaking english, and its really annoying having to mute them all one by one.
I don't believe so sadly.

Greg

Giriath_89 said:

The FDO-11 only has 20 bullets in a magazine and no scope or silencer but it has great stopping power at close- to mid-range.

The IW-80-A2 is a dream when staying hidden in a place with great vision of the map. You can stay prone or behind cover, pop out and be confident that your first bullet will be a headshot.

One guy running around flanking with a DK2 inspired me to start leveling it as my secondary AR for Spec-Ops, on smaller maps like Sacrifice with lots of places to hide.
Yeah, the ARs don't really show their potential until they're modded up a bit. It's unfortunate that some people will sink a couple hours into a gun that doesn't quite suit their style in the end.

Greg said:
Yeah, the ARs don't really show their potential until they're modded up a bit. It's unfortunate that some people will sink a couple hours into a gun that doesn't quite suit their style in the end.
That's why having to unlock stuff sucks. They should've just me put some scopes, silencers, handgrips and lasers on any gun I want, like in Confrontation and other socoms...

Greg

Yeah, I'm not going to touch 95% of the guns now. I have an SMG on each side modded to 5, and I don't see a reason to start over from scratch in hopes that I find a better fit.

The mods should unlock for entire classes of weapons instead of having to mod each weapon individually - especially considering you have unique weapons on each side and switching sides between matches doesn't always work. I'm sure it's too late to change anything but the kill requirements now though.

Exactly what I'm thinking. That's the least they could do, make it category wide instead of indidividual gun unlocks. Oh well, I have M4A1 on one side, and IAR 556 or something like that on the other. Will probably keep it that way.

Also, the scoreboard in the HUD should display how many players are still alive instead of how many rounds each team has won, imo. That's way more important when you're not sure to risk your life or not to win a round.

Biff

Why can't we get a PS3 SOCOM that's ready on Day 1?

Confrontation took like 6 months of patches to be acceptable.. S4 had a much better launch, but there are still so many bugs and flaws.. The game's fun, don't get be wrong, but I hate feeling like I'm supporting lazy developers.

No shoulder switch is ridiculous.
Start-of-round freezing is ridiculous.
Weapon mod time is ridiculous.

The fundamentals of the game, like weapon balance, map design and hit detection, are all really good. It's the polish that is completely missing. It really makes (at its core) an excellent game look below average.

And the fact that they had 3 weeks of downtime without worrying about servers to have all hands on deck working on a patch just makes this even more frustrating.

W1SSY

ChefRamsay said:
And the fact that they had 3 weeks of downtime without worrying about servers to have all hands on deck working on a patch just makes this even more frustrating.
They still have to test the patches and I would imagine that they still use PSN for testing. Without it they couldn't make any tests. I am sure they worked on fixing things but without PSN we will not be see any of that any sooner. It could mean that the next patch has more changes in it.

demolitio

ChefRamsay said:

Confrontation took like 6 months of patches to be acceptable.. S4 had a much better launch, but there are still so many bugs and flaws.. The game's fun, don't get be wrong, but I hate feeling like I'm supporting lazy developers.

The fundamentals of the game, like weapon balance, map design and hit detection, are all really good. It's the polish that is completely missing. It really makes (at its core) an excellent game look below average.

Definitely some problems, but the core gameplay appeals to me a lot as always. But the funny thing is that they did patch the weapon mod time. They actually made it take LONGER in the first beta patch which was stupid since it was perfect. So now you just have people that might not be too good have an incredible weapon while someone who plays just an average amount a day has a mod 1 rifle and has to rely solely on not getting caught up in a run 'n' gun battle where the enemy will have the advantage with less recoil and spread..

It was good where it's at because now it's pretty much limited me to using only one weapon instead of getting a good feel of them all.

sleepykyo

Greg said:
Yeah, I'm not going to touch 95% of the guns now. I have an SMG on each side modded to 5, and I don't see a reason to start over from scratch in hopes that I find a better fit.

The mods should unlock for entire classes of weapons instead of having to mod each weapon individually - especially considering you have unique weapons on each side and switching sides between matches doesn't always work. I'm sure it's too late to change anything but the kill requirements now though.
So mp5 for spec ops and which one for insurgent?

Greg

ChefRamsay said:

Yeah, they already commented on the patch situation - there was only so much they could test internally while the network was down, and the patch couldn't be submitted for the final approval until it was back up anyways.

The small problems I have with the game aren't performance-related, and that's the biggest killer of online communities, so I'm pretty happy with the state of the game going forward. This is the first game in the series that wasn't plagued with lag, unstable framerate or hit detection issues upon release. It might be the most stable game I've played on the PS3 in that regard.

LevityNYC said:
weapons should rank up faster in classic mode.
Well, technically they do because it's experience-based and you get more experience for kills in Classic. I know what you mean though... I've only been playing respawn for that exact reason, and it's definitely a pain.

sleepykyo said:
So mp5 for spec ops and which one for insurgent?
PDW. With the way I play and aim, I think the rate of fire is more important than the damage/range boosts that the other SMGs have.

Das-J

Law of the West
BobTheFork said:
Great game Bagelbeard. We absolutely smkoed them in classic bomb squad.
Ha yeah thanks - I was playing like sh*t, but it was fun watching you run around and clean up! :)

panda21

i really don't like how long the weapons take to level up, it forces you to pick one and stick with it.

i do like the whole persistent levelling thing, but its much more fun for me if you can try a variety of weapons.

also hope there are some new maps soon, that arent just assets taken straight from the game.

does anyone else get 'can't join game' errors if you try to join anything other than supression? even supression small maps i cant get into.

ChefRamsay said:

I don't know if one would say that shoulder switching or the weapon mod time is a polish issue, it can easily be by their design. I wouldn't be surprised if they never put in shoulder switching.

Biff

BattleMonkey said:
I don't know if one would say that shoulder switching or the weapon mod time is a polish issue, it can easily be by their design. I wouldn't be surprised if they never put in shoulder switching.
You might have a point with shoulder switching.. If it's by design then they aren't lazy - they're just stupid :lol

Weapon mod time however, is something I would argue has to do with polish. The only testing time they had was during the beta, where the mod times were left unchanged during its duration (correct me if I'm mistaken). Only when the game launched did they tweak the mod time.

That's where my problem is.. They should have tested the current mod times in beta. They would have gotten instant feedback that it's way too long, and could have toned it down for launch.

Greg

ChefRamsay said:
You might have a point with shoulder switching.. If it's by design then they aren't lazy - they're just stupid :lol

Weapon mod time however, is something I would argue has to do with polish. The only testing time they had was during the beta, where the mod times were left unchanged during its duration (correct me if I'm mistaken). Only when the game launched did they tweak the mod time.

That's where my problem is.. They should have tested the current mod times in beta. They would have gotten instant feedback that it's way too long, and could have toned it down for launch.
Nah, they tweaked the mod times during a patch in the beta - the same patch they made XP tweaks/changes to the requirements for character levels. They said both during the beta and during game shows when they had the game out on display, so many of the weapons were maxed out in such a short period of time. They wanted people to stick with a gun and really work for it. Oh, and blame the guys that got to level 100 in 2 weeks during the beta and others that complained it was too easy to level.

As for the lack of shoulder switch, I think the repositioning of the camera will help a lot in terms of general visibility once they patch it - however, in its current state, it's a pretty big oversight during combat. I think the emphasis they put on the cover system was probably one of the reasons why it was overlooked or left out.

Here's the thing, I really though the aiming switched automatically when you were moving. Isn't that what the ambidextrous bonus is for? It feels like it moves the reticle whne you strafe left and right, but it's locked when you are in cover. I do think there have been a few cases of me being shot by people who I can't hit and look like they are still around a corner.

Sethos said:
The unlock times are bad but holy shiznit it'll take 15 years when all you play is Classic Suppression, damn.
just be glad there is no trophy for it. Although, they made the trophies stupid easy this time. you don't even need to play online for more than an hour to get them.

Rawker

if we got mod bonuses with our rank increase that we could choose which weapon they were applied to it would make the modding less labor intensive.

Sethos said:
That's for switching to secondary and killing your target I believe.
Maybe, I don't pay attention to what happen when I get it, everything is so fast.

I think they need to up the XP for objective back to where is was in the beta. Sure just getting kills can be cheap but it's damn hard to pull off some of those objective, you should get a big bonus for it.

Sethos

Banned
BobTheFork said:
just be glad there is no trophy for it. Although, they made the trophies stupid easy this time. you don't even need to play online for more than an hour to get them.

I don't care one bit of trophies, so that's no problem :p

BobTheFork said:
Isn't that what the ambidextrous bonus is for?

You get that when you have killed an enemy with both your primary and secondary weapon without dying. I'm not sure what you need to do to get the 'lucky magazine' bonus. Maybe get 2-3 kills without reloading.

vilmer_ said:
Anyone else getting a server error when trying to view the leaderboards/your own personal stats?

Yes, it's been like that all day.

edit: It's up now. Is the efficiency medal bugged for everyone else? I get all three tiers if I get 10 kills, but you're also supposed to get 1, 2 or 3 kills per minute for the the different tiers.

Just had a great game of Bomb Squad again, I think it's my favorite mode. I go thte MVP just by holding Bravo with a group of people. We mauled them for 5 minutes straight from a defensive position.

enewtabie

I've been trying to get people at work to get into this game. Everybody plays 360 there ,but this game is addictive. I'm really enjoying it. I'm just not that good to play the classic stuff.
My only problem with the game is I hate the stealth sections,but overall it's a lot of fun.
Good job.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Dear random SOCOM 4 player,

Here is a revelation for you: English is not the only spoken language in the world. Nor is it some sort of an "official" SOCOM 4 one.

SOCOM 4 is an online game people from all over the world can enjoy. And people from all over the world happen to speak different languages (go figure!).

If you enter a public match in which a few people coordinate in languages other than English don't deride them and/or bitch about it.

Either accept it, mute those responsible for the "offending" chatter or get the fuck off.

Also, learn the difference between Italian, French and Spanish. You keep mixing them up!

Thanks

----

I miss the regional servers.

^I've never had a game where someone berates someone speaking a non-english language (at least not in a language I know). I do tend to get irritated when a few people constantly chat in a language I don't understand (or even when I do, sometimes), but then I can simply mute them or leave the game and find another.

When there are no regional servers, no server list and no party-only voice chat feature, what are they supposed to do? I wouldn't expect or tell anyone to shut up just so I don't have to take a few seconds to mute them.

I gave up on the HS-36 by the way. It feels way too inaccurate and does too little damage even at mod level 3; I like the FDO-11 better even at mod level 1. I might try out the ATAC2000 because it has 40 bullets in magazine, which would make it easier to get 2-3 kills in a row if it is accurate and has some stopping power.

Top Bottom