• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some guy has been going around NYC playing his Xbox on the subway

edbrat

I'd be shocked if he's playing there by choice, poor SOB is probably killing time till his bed / couch / bit of floor that he repairs to every night is accessible. Might be the safest place he knows.

I hope I'm wrong but chances are that guy is going through some kind of hell and that game time is the only thing which diverts his mind from all the shit he is going through. Hell a lot of people who aren't homeless sometimes use games the same way.

Pretty dumb comment because a lot of xbox and ps users shun Nintendo.

It's even a running joke on this forum.

8vwmr9n.png

The joke has nothing to do with console wars, you've completely missed the point. The joke is about people going to extraordinary lengths to make a console experience mobile. You can make the same joke about SEGA Nomad owners and it still has nothing to do with SEGA vs. Nintendo.

DirtyLarry

More power to him.
I would really love to know the story behind why he does it.
I instantly create a story that is not a very positive one, but who knows for sure.
There could be a million reasons as to why he does this.
Regardless of what they are, as I began with, more power to him.

entremet

Is there some back story I'm missing? Why are so many people in this thread assuming he has mental health issues or is homeless.

Because generally you don't find people lugging and playing consoles on mass transit.

It could mean he has no place of his own to do so and that he may not be getting help to get there.

Many homeless are mentally ill.

Calm Mind

Guys. The subway is in NYC is pretty safe and no one, no one wants to steal a 360, which can be had for 20 bucks at a thrift shop.

People use MacBook Pros, iPhones, and iPads on the subway on a daily basis and those go for way more.

NYC has been safe for many years.

why-you-always-lying-feat.jpg

Oblivious to the obvious are we?

What NYC do you know?
The real NYC?
I saw a woman get jacked at a gentrified park at 7am in the morning not 2 weeks ago.
I was shaking my head at that comment myself. There are less safe areas but the city is drastically better than the 80s and 90s. You can do so many things without getting messed with in more neighborhoods now.
Lol. Did you read that story about that 13 year old girl that was pushed down from behind and jacked in Bay Ridge, a predominantly white neighborhood?
Or how about the guy that was delivering food to the homeless in Borough Park, a Jewish neighborhood, when he was senselessly murdered for no apparent reason?
It's that kind of mentality that gets people robbed in this city. Always be on the alert; there a lot of nut cases in this city.
Or just continue thinking you're untouchable because "it's not as bad as it used to be" - whatever floats your boat.

Arsenic

The real NYC?
I saw a woman get jacked at a gentrified park at 7am in the morning not 2 weeks ago.

Lol. Did you read that story about that 13 year old girl that was pushed down from behind and jacked in Bay Ridge, a predominantly white neighborhood?
Or how about the guy that was delivering food to the homeless in Borough Park, a Jewish neighborhood, when he was senselessly murdered for no apparent reason?
It's that kind of mentality that gets people robbed in this city. Always be on the alert; there a lot of nut cases in this city.
Or just continue thinking you're untouchable because "it's not as bad as it used to be" - whatever floats your boat.

Youre picking stories that has major impact to you personally i believe.

"Predominantly white neighborhood"
"A Jewish neighborhood"

Something can happen always no matter where you are. You are not exempt.

That does not mean the city isnt far safer than what it once was. The stigma it has from the late 80s early 90s doesnt apply anymore.

In high school (15 years ago or so) you'd be nuts to display jewelry on the train.
Now you see everyone with their phones in their hands, macbooks out or other massively valuable items on them. I carry my phone in my hand. I stay aware of course, im not invulnerable, but my phone has more value than this kids Xbox 360 and tv. Besides, anyone trying to steal those bags will be caught, its just bulky.

The real NYC?

There are 8.5 million people in the city, three terrible things will always happen. Much more than three terrible things, even. And it will still be generally a very safe city.

No one's saying they're untouchable. No one's saying there aren't nutcases in the city. No one's saying you shouldn't be aware of your surroundings and not take stupid risks. Crime is empirically at historic lows, though.

People were just amazed that this guy hasn't been robbed, but it's not amazing at all. The fuck wants to haul off with thirty pounds of shit probably worth less than a phone?

Honestly, you rattling those stories off the top of your head makes you sound like you have a fearful or paranoid disposition. It's not healthy.

Does anyone know if that guy has a stable living condition? A flag of homelessness is carrying a lot of baggage around. Not saying the guy but it is a bit concerning that he decides to play on the train instead of at his place of residency.

I've seen his pictures before online so I don't know how long he has been doing this.

jaaz

Guys. The subway is in NYC is pretty safe and no one, no one wants to steal a 360, which can be had for 20 bucks at a thrift shop.

People use MacBook Pros, iPhones, and iPads on the subway on a daily basis and those go for way more.

What? Weren't people getting pushed in front of trains just a couple of years ago?

I'm not from NYC, but travel a ton there on business, and few people from our NY office dare to ride the subway. It surprised me, honestly.

When I lived in Houston there was a guy who used to play in the NFL who used to ride his bike around to a few of the local GameStops trying to sell his copies of Madden 2001 or 2002 or whatever on PS2. Because he was in them, so he said.

This was in 2007-2008, mind you. He would just go around to the same 3 or 4 stores over and over with the same ratty games in his shopping bag trying to get more that the garbage-tier trade-in value.

Oh, and he would also play the new Madden demos, according to the employees to see his old teammates.

So sad I almost cry just remembering it.

What? Weren't people getting pushed in front of trains just a couple of years ago?

I'm not from NYC, but travel a ton there on business, and few people from our NY office dare to ride the subway. It surprised me, honestly.

That's...wild to me.

I guess it depends where in the city you are and what time of day you're riding, but I can't imagine a bunch of people who work in NYC being scared to ride the subway.

jaaz

That's...wild to me.

I guess it depends where in the city you are and what time of day you're riding, but I can't imagine a bunch of people who work in NYC being scared to ride the subway.

I should clarify that the path trains they rode (like those coming and going from Penn Station), but not the subway. I've no idea why. They were bankers mostly, maybe that explains it. Haha.

When I lived in Houston there was a guy who used to play in the NFL who used to ride his bike around to a few of the local GameStops trying to sell his copies of Madden 2001 or 2002 or whatever on PS2. Because he was in them, so he said.

This was in 2007-2008, mind you. He would just go around to the same 3 or 4 stores over and over with the same ratty games in his shopping bag trying to get more that the garbage-tier trade-in value.

Oh, and he would also play the new Madden demos, according to the employees to see his old teammates.

That is pretty damn sad.

madmackem

First thought

u4kg840.jpg
You'd be surprised the amount of people who don't set up there TVs proper, I was playing bf1 beta with friends this weekend and they were complaining about the scoreboard being cut off at the top, they couldn't see the numbers where as on my to they are plain to see and there's a big gap between the edge of the scoreboard and the top of my screen, I was like urgggghhh every game your playing is being over scanned to bits man.

hbkdx12

Damnnnn. What train is this?

Edit: E Train apparently

I can't imagine anyone would be genuinely looking to steal it but i can easily see the wrong group of people fucking with him just to try to get a rise out of him depending on how he handles himself.

I imagine he's doing this super late at night/early morning. Somewhere between midnight and 5am or something assuming he does this often. Combine that with the weekend, Friday/Saturday straight from the club young 20 something crowd who's tipsy and turned up, there could definitely be issues.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

"Dare to ride the subway"?

Wtf is this. Everybody rides the subway. I don't think I've had a single co worker that didn't ride the subway unless they lived by the office.

Are these your coworkers:

jEPcDcycNH5b1_G1XIOldb7gRmflLmk9B8kVsGpgslk.jpg

barit

Feel bad for this fellow even if I don't know the story behind it. Seems not like he is doing it for the laughs like the one guy who had a PS3 and a video projector in his backpack and projecting the screen on huge walls or in clubs while he played Tekken live.

I should clarify that the path trains they rode (like those coming and going from Penn Station), but not the subway. I've no idea why. They were bankers mostly, maybe that explains it. Haha.

Oh, they probably wanted to avoid the shitshow that is Newark, NJ.

wildfire

Banned
8vwmr9n.png

The joke has nothing to do with console wars, you've completely missed the point. The joke is about people going to extraordinary lengths to make a console experience mobile. You can make the same joke about SEGA Nomad owners and it still has nothing to do with SEGA vs. Nintendo.

I concede I missed that connection. It's a better joke than I initially thought.

Drain You

Really hope this guy is doing this must cause he feels like it and not like other have suggested due to homelessness or something.

Also NY isn't as bad as some of you are suggesting. I live in Connecticut and anytime I went to the city I road the subways and never so much as felt threatened. Walked around super late at night and shit.

jaaz

"Dare to ride the subway"?

Wtf is this. Everybody rides the subway. I don't think I've had a single co worker that didn't ride the subway unless they lived by the office.

Are these your coworkers:

jEPcDcycNH5b1_G1XIOldb7gRmflLmk9B8kVsGpgslk.jpg

They worked for a bank. You know, the kind of people that don't generally get a "Douchebag" tag. ;)

Is that a snowflake millennial picture you posted? I suppose some might be called that. Point is, there really are some people that don't ride the subway. Especially after dark. Believe.

Ducktail

Someone from NY should try reach out to this guy and learn more about this situation. Maybe he's a gamer in need of something and we could help him.

sublimit

Banned

:(
It's a fucked up world man.

Someone from NY should try reach out to this guy and learn more about this situation. Maybe he's a gamer in need of something and we could help him.
This so much.Who knows maybe MS would care to do something.Would it be a bad idea if someone tweeted that to Phil Spencer?

They worked for a bank. You know, the kind of people that don't generally get a "Douchebag" tag. ;)

Is that a snowflake millennial picture you posted? I suppose some might be called that. Point is, there really are some people that don't ride the subway. Especially after dark. Believe.

Never mind your coworker, you don't sound like you know anything about NYC aubway.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
He prob just wants someone to play with him.

I personally love trains and when i'm holidaying in Japan with nothing to do I take long trips on my JR pass, then when I get to my destination I return.

The journey is the destination and the purpose.

Top Bottom