• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some Youtuber you don't know: Bungie's Marathon is not interesting

Kurotri

According to this gentleman, there was an event for Marathon that Bungie held where they invited Escape from Tarkov players and asked them for their opinions, and it seems that none of them were thrilled after their play sessions. As you might know, Marathon is supposed to be an extraction shooter similar to Escape from Tarkov. Timestamped at 8:30:

Edit: Welp, video's private.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'm not interested either. I popped into this thread to tell everyone that.

giphy.gif

I've noticed that Apple isn't exactly well loved around here. Marathon was an Apple thing. So I expect this title is already poison on Neogaf. They need to change the name. The antidote is changing the name.

LordOfChaos

I just want a damn linear single player Bungie campaign where I don't need to arrange 6 adults with their own jobs and families time to unlock all the content or play an arena err extraction shooter

Their gunplay: Great, still some of the best in fact. Everything else around it is just frustration to me. So much of Destiny is just junk management, is that a positive addition to the gameplay?

Last edited:

Muffdraul

OG Marathon was the game that made me a Bungie fan back in 1995, and after finally giving up trying to enjoy Destiny 1 and 2 and swearing I'd never play another Bungie game unless it had a robust solo campaign, I was soooo fucking stoked when they announced the new Marathon. Only to have my heart broken again a few seconds later.

MiguelItUp

The only extraction anything that I dig is Dark & Darker, cause for me, it's been different enough than Tarkov and other modern day/shooting ones. But taking the Marathon IP, only to reskin it as something that's unrecognizable, and making it an extraction shooter sounds... like not the best idea. Fans of Marathon were not happy, meanwhile others were like, "WTF is Marathon?"

I always thought it was a weird choice, maybe a, "Hey we own the IP, might as well do something with it" situation. To me it just felt like them trying to get a slice of that extraction shooter pie while it's still "hot."

trikster40

I wasn't planning on getting it either. Come on Bungie, just give me a solid single player game with some crack MP. I think you've got some experience in that genre.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
If this was a game revealed by team Xbox it would be the second coming for the green rats, so please spare us your hypocrisy it’s getting old 😜

Nah. Unless you're calling every person in this topic saying the same thing a green rat too. :messenger_squinting_tongue:

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I've noticed that Apple isn't exactly well loved around here. Marathon was an Apple thing. So I expect this title is already poison on Neogaf. They need to change the name. The antidote is changing the name.

Bullshit there are plenty of apple fanboys here. Also nobody under 50 remembers the original marathon

Neon Xenon

Was anyone excited about it when it was announced?

They should have just made it a single player game in that universe, with a multiplayer mode sure.
I wasn't excited, just more cautiously interested with the first Marathon announcement trailer, because I was also recalling the then-rumors from months prior about Marathon being rebooted as an extraction shooter. My stance was, "Nice trailer, very good aesthetic, but I'm keeping all my expectations in check until actual gameplay is shown."

Now? With all of Bungie's issues regarding Destiny 2 alone? Now I'm just cautious. Marathon is getting delayed to 2025 for a reason.

Don’t understand the hate

Let’s wait and see
You're probably one of the lucky ones who dodged a bullet and didn't bother with Destiny or D2. They started out fun, but slowly turned to shit with the greed, virtue signaling, inability to find a clear direction etc. and now the cracks are finally showing, and it's all falling down like a house of cards.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
It takes a certain type of masochist to play Tarkov, believe me, I’m one of them so I have no idea what Bungie was expecting inviting Tarkov players to a play test. You could tell from the reveal trailer what the gameplay would be like and it’s nothing like Tarkov.

Top Bottom