• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

somebody needs to explain the Animal Crossing appeal for me

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It's nowhere near as in-depth as The Sims, and The Sims is hardly in-depth. It's just a mindless chillout game where you pick apples and buy chairs and whatnot.

I never really got it, either, but it's sure as shit gonna keep my girlfriend busy when Doom Eternal drops on the same day.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Saying it's like The Sims is a bad comparison - in The Sims you have to manage stuff like your character's appetite and bathroom needs, career goals, etc.

I'd say the more apt comparison would be that Animal Crossing is more like Harvest Moon or Stardew Valley. You move to a new town, you trade items with the town's residents and chat them up to make them like you more, you buy a house, you collect items via various means which you can sell and trade, you pay off your home loan (zoomer fantasy role play elements), attend organized town events and celebrations, dig for fossils, etc. There are multiplayer elements that usually involve you visiting other player's towns or trading with them instead of the NPCs. The new game has an island getaway theme that introduces a crafting system - think casual mode Minecraft.

It's a "hard work gets rewarded" type of game. You can eventually upgrade your house to be luxurious, and fill it with tons of cool stuff you've found along the way (the original even had playable NES games!).

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
It’s a social/rural living game, designed around building friendships with the animals, living your life however you please with tons of options, and having an awesome house that’s customizable from thousands of pieces of furniture, wallpaper, carpets, size upgrades, etc.

If the Sims is about playing god, but has similar subject matter, this is about being a regular person, and much better done, imo.

I would say it‘s relaxing, and very fun to build up your world, house, interact with the animals, and take part in all the things in the world, like a museum (with user contributions), dance club, coffee shop, fishing, etc. etc. etc. etc.

it’s essentially a gamification of a completely romanticized version of life.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It's a game for people who like chores and being in debt.

(that's basically what is sounds to me, never played it)
Call of Duty is a game for people who like taking orders from their commanding officer and killing other people.

(that's basically what is sounds to me, never played it)

Pejo

It's basically the "C.H.U.D. II" of environmentally dynamic resource management.

Hope that helps.

dorkimoe

I tried animal crossing on the ipad, i know its not the same thing, but wasnt really my thing. My time at porita cured that itch

It was interesting and chill back in the day. Nowadays you got a ton of games especially on mobile with the same concept just minus the animals. Its that collect resources genre type of game.

Animagic

Banned
It’s a chill game where you collect things and sell them and buy things at the store and setup your house how you want and meet npc animal characters that may have quests and things for you. Also as you play, slowly things open up and are unlocked over time, so there is always something new to see.

It's the Sims, but you're an animal, and owe a ton of money to a loan shark who forced a loan on you and you have to struggle through life trying to pay it back but when you think you've paid it off, Tom Nook forced more debt onto you!

Sounds like real life lmao

Griffon

I see it has a conflict-less and story-less RPG.

You furnish your house, go fishing, dig up stuff, do gardening, speak with villagers and do some simple fedex quests for them.
It's basically all of the side activities of an MMO.

No big story, no battles, just chilling.

Last edited:

Codes 208

bbc5bf73860aded8e0c3b156e5256585.jpg

this thread

You furnish your house, go fishing, dig up stuff, do gardening, speak with villagers and do some simple fedex quests for them.

More or less, this game is basically the original minecraft.

Last edited:
It's more comparable to Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons than The Sims. It's an easy going game, the main objective is collecting shit and talking to your neighbors. The main appeal is that the whole thing is quirky, the dialogues are usually funny and the collectibles hit the sweet spot in that they're plentiful, but don't force you into being anal about them like a Ubisoft game.

It's not for everyone, but keep in mind that a lot of negativity comes from people who haven't played any game in the series. You can't bond with a father figure and/or solemnly walk in snowy forest areas talking tumblr sarcasm to yourself, so it's not exactly in line with what people have come to expect from big exclusives. It's not a "flashy" title, but it's fun as fuck. Even if it doesn't sound appealing, give it a shot. What do you got to lose?

Jooxed

Gold Member
It’s a social/rural living game, designed around building friendships with the animals, living your life however you please with tons of options, and having an awesome house that’s customizable from thousands of pieces of furniture, wallpaper, carpets, size upgrades, etc.

If the Sims is about playing god, but has similar subject matter, this is about being a regular person, and much better done, imo.

I would say it‘s relaxing, and very fun to build up your world, house, interact with the animals, and take part in all the things in the world, like a museum (with user contributions), dance club, coffee shop, fishing, etc. etc. etc. etc.

it’s essentially a gamification of a completely romanticized version of life.

by the way your giving me animal crossing lessons since you essentially talked me into pre ordering it.

TheTurboFD

You dont find the appeal of going into crippling debt to a damn raccoon when you could be investing those shells and getting a 10% return a year so that you're rich af when you're 65 years old and sleeping with 25-30 year old cat ladies in your big shell YACHT?

jshackles

seems like its harvest moon but without the farming/selling aspect.

more collecting/foraging, building relationships, and consumerism.
But in Animal Crossing you can plant fruit trees, then harvest the fruit and sell it. Big money maker.

With the new crafting system, it may be possible to like combine said fruit with jars or something to make jam that sells for even more? Who knows!

Last edited:

cireza

This series is about wasting time doing pointless things. If you play video-games to have "meaningful" experiences (story, skill etc...), then this cannot be for you.

-Arcadia-

Banned
This series is about wasting time doing pointless things. If you play video-games to have "meaningful" experiences (story, skill etc...), then this cannot be for you.

Who defines what a meaningful experience is? This kind of thinking will restrict us to a handful of genres for all eternity.

Your comment would be better served deconstructed and rebuilt to say, as someone who finds story and tests of skill meaningful, this isn’t for me.

StormCell

The big story is your day-to-day visits to the village. Things happen. Sometimes things happen as a result of your actions. Sometimes completely random things happen. Every day is something new. You don't need to stress about things, because it's completely your own story and your own thing.

tassletine

it’s like gardening. The game mechanic forces you to play for short periods over a long period of time. it’s very
relaxing seeing things grow at a slow pace — but it’s not for everyone.

MiguelItUp

I wish I could give more then one reaction to a post

jshackles jshackles and -Arcadia- -Arcadia- I salute you both

I play Animal Crossing to relax, and I love that the world feels so alive and “stays awake” even when I’m not playing. These games allow for a fresh sense of creativity that I get a kick out of.
Agreed, best breakdown I've seen in this thread IMO. To add, much like any piece of entertainment, it certainly isn't for everyone. So if you're curious but don't feel like purchasing previous games for yourself, then just look up a few YouTube videos. Honestly I think it'd pretty easy for someone to justify whether or not it is worthy of their time.

Personally I played Animal Crossing the most on GC, the DS version was my runner-up. It was always a fun game to get into when you felt like decompressing and playing SOMETHING. Mind you , this was several years ago and I feel like gaming has changed quite a bit since then. Not to mention we've seen a lot of other games come out over that time doing the same thing, or something similar. I think I just kind of lost interest in the series, but I still respect it!

Last edited:
Animal crossing reminds everyone how shitty life is with debt and menial tasks. It has cut e animals instead of people and great mindless music that creates happiness when playing. Animal Crossing is what you do before going to bed so that you end up positive instead of going to bed sad because of the long meaningless day of performing meaningless tasks starts to grind into your soul.

Animal Crossing is Nintendo's $60 I hate my life therapy session.

I cannot wait till it releases. Gotta get those bells for that asshole raccoon so he can get off my back about my home loan.

VertigoOA

Banned
Just a life simulator of some kind. I never enjoyed it but the only reason I got the GameCube one was for the nes roms. No interest in ever seeing what it is now... looks the same tho.

mcjmetroid

I haven't played one since the DS version but I remember enjoying it to a point. There's something very relaxing about it. It's a very hard game to explain.

I am hoping this game blows me away though. Graphically it doesn't look all that so far but I'll watch the direct and see.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
It's a social game where you explore an island that you own and customise to your liking, chat to NPCs and even chat to other people who wanna visit your island. There's a lot to do and it's just relaxing and easy going. Big part of it - it runs on real time so stuff only happens or is open or closed at particular times of the day, or even the year! I absolutely love it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom