• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Someone are porting Street Fighter 1 to Sega Genesis/Mega Drive

Mauro Flores

Neo Member
I assume you guys are Brazilian - Brazil has a long and storied tradition of porting SF games. Tec Toy's "demake" of SF2 from the Genesis to the Master System was an amazing feat:

hqdefault.jpg

The game played like ass but at least, you know, you could finally play it in a 8-bit console.
A true to tell for you guys, brazilian people really love oriental people and their culture!

Kazza

There was always that one povo kid who still had a master system and had to play the 8bit sonic/street fighter

Surprised they even attempted it

While the 8-bit Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat games were undoubtedly just inferior versions of their 16-bit brothers (however impressive the coding skills behind the port), I think the 8 bit Sonics (along with the Mickey Mouse games) were good games worth playing in their own right. I had a lot of fun playing them on my Game Gear, even though I already owned the Megadrive versions.

Respect to Mauro Flores Mauro Flores for undertaking this port btw.

Kazza

If I ever have the coding skills and time to do so, one Megadrive port I would love to do is port the two Game Gear Shinobi games to the Megadrive. I suppose you could use palette-swap versions of the Revenge of Shinobi sprite for the different coloured ninjas, but I guess the rest of the graphics would have to be completely remade from scratch.

SALMORE

hopefully someone makes bootleg carts out of it on Aliexpress so i can finally add the " original " to my collection

v1oz

I assume you guys are Brazilian - Brazil has a long and storied tradition of porting SF games. Tec Toy's "demake" of SF2 from the Genesis to the Master System was an amazing feat:

hqdefault.jpg

The game played like ass but at least, you know, you could finally play it in a 8-bit console.

In China they did similar things. Making bootleg versions of Street Fighter 2 and Aladdin on the NES.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
hopefully someone makes bootleg carts out of it on Aliexpress so i can finally add the " original " to my collection
That's what I was saying.

Before releasing the ROM, we will request permission for CAPCOM. We don't want to contribute to piracy
While your intentions are noble there's no way they would let you. Besides they have the original version in the latest Street Fighter collection anyways. Also technically you can't pirate something that never existed in the first place. If it was a bootleg copy of the Turbo CD version of Street Fighter 1 then it would be piracy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought about it a bit and figured that what I would really be impressed it is a port of any variant of Street Fighter II - using the Genesis' higher resolution instead of a port of the that uses the SNES assets with less colors, that could be interesting.

Mauro Flores

Neo Member
For stages and sprites Paulo Ferreira (Linkuei hacker) riped stages from arcade rom and other versions, so he edited the png files in Photoshop to make new binary with Imagenesis. Paulo also got from the arcade rom the musics and voices, and he is remaking then because just a fast conversion is not enough.
I am using my Genesis Fight Engine, a source code I wrote by zero in Second Basic compiler, for SF I edited a lots the code creating what I called of Genesis Fight Engine 2. Alexsandro Vinícius (Journey to Oblivion's developer) gave a hand with a code for a new hud, using sprites, and also made the opening animation. I create the animations for characters in the fight and edit its sprites with Photoshop and SGTD, Paulo does gameplay and the feedback.

Last edited:

Kazza

Those are all great hacks, but SF2 for the SMS was an officially licensed product - Tec Toy somehow managed to convince CAPCOM to approve the port.

The CEO of Tectoy covered that in an interview a few weeks ago:

- convincing Capcom to allow a Street Fighter 2 port on the Master System (they had to trick one of the Capcom execs by plugging a Megadrive controller into a hidden Master System and letting them play their 8-bit version)

Apparently the young executives at Capcom wouldn't have known what a Master Sytem was, so would have rejected it if they hadn't pretended it was a Megadrive game.

Wonko_C

Besides the audio, this is extremely good.

Mauro Flores Mauro Flores
How are you porting this?
Are you using the original game's data in some way or are you using ripped art as source?
Are you using c/c++ or assembly?
BTW: Don't tell Capcom.

"BESIDES"!? The audio is the best part! Clean sounding sound effects ripped straight out of the 32-bit Mega Man X games, voice samples from Rockman X4's VA Kentarou Itou, and the music... those drums pack some serious punch. Hopefully they port the whole game some day.

Vitacat

I can't believe we went from that to the legendary SFII. Literally from zero to hero.
It is amazing, isn't it! SF2 was a monumental achievement, literally changed the industry. SF1 was just OK for its time, with good graphics but ultimately a poor game overall.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
It is amazing, isn't it! SF2 was a monumental achievement, literally changed the industry. SF1 was just OK for its time, with good graphics but ultimately a poor game overall.
I remember my best friend had Fighting Street on the TG16 growing up and how blown away we were when we saw SFII for the first time at the pizza place. Even back then SF1 was shit.

I loaded it on the SF collection for about a minute. And it‘s still shit.
I never knew SF1 existed until a few years ago. Of course it's obvious it should exist since SF2 has 2 in it, but I only questioned the existed of the first one recently. Tells you how dead and non-existent that game is.

When I first saw videos I couldn't believe it's the same game. I thought maybe no one spoke of SF1 because it's basically just a barebones SF2, but hell no.

SF2 was the only arcade machine that had lines and lines of people waiting. Until Mortal Kombat was added to our arcades. It was still very relevant of course.

Caffeine

it seems like the inputs are actually registering I know in the sf collection the original rom u had to spam a hadoken for it to come out lol. this is really some great work at revitilizing something that was just an origin game to something great.

Mauro Flores

Neo Member
can you add two control modes? One for original arcade perfect controls (For people that like it that way) and one updated version that feels more like Street Fighter II (So more people can enjoy it).
Actually I know how to do that, the SF1 programers probably didn't leave delay time between the command inputs, but I leave 6 frames (times), so it is very easy and comfortable to make shoryukens or hadoukens.

Zeusdaz

Neo Member
Hi Mauro, I just wanted to say I wish you all the luck on this, I am the biggest SF1 fan out there, I know the game inside out more than anyone,...and I even dare say more than the programmers of the arcade original, and would also be happy to be a playtester for you on this project in you need someone.

Back in the day (early 1988) everyone was waiting in line to play this at our local arcade (6-buton version), I mastered it quite quickly to the point I used to get watchers to tell me to what move to perform and when just to prove I could do the special moves and it wasn't down to luck, I even own the actual 6-button arcade machine which sits in my living room from 1991 when I bought it.
I hated SF2, it too easy like all the spin-offs and sequels (completed on my 3rd go,...felt very disappointed), too slow, crap tunes and Sagat was a puppy in it compared to his killer side in SF1, I just found it so boring whereas the actual arcade machine of SF1 (not the choppy ugly uploads on the internet) ran so quick, great tunes and it had a killer instinct/sudden death feel about it,...at a blink of an eye a round could be lost if you didn't know the special moves especially at the hands of Birdie, Eagle or Sagat.

I really hope you see this Megadrive version through to the end, by the looks of it you're doing a great job so ignore the SF1 haters mate, there are a large amount of us SF1 arcade fans out there that learnt how to play this game back in 1988 and not start off playing the easier slower sequel, so this project is certainly interesting to us.

Can I just ask Mauro, if you plan to hopefully make it as close to the arcade original as possible, why have you changed the energy bars and timer?! please make them the same as the original please, also I hope you plan to redo the music as I have to be honest it sounds terrible for the Megadrive sound chip, very tinny and weak compared to the arcade original.

Feel free to contact me for any advice on the game or help playtesting it :-D

Mauro Flores

Neo Member
The first engine that I wrote running in 15fps, but for SF I made a new one that reached 22fps, it was good but I got an unsolved misterious bug in the A.I., but at same time I made a new improvements on first engine that allows it runs between 25 to 35 fps, with medium 30fps, that I am using for Insane Pain and Fight for Revenge, so I decided use the new one to SF.
The musics are remastered by Linkuei hacker Paulo H.G.F., soon as possible we will continue SF with all news features from my newest engine.

Zeusdaz

Neo Member
The first engine that I wrote running in 15fps, but for SF I made a new one that reached 22fps, it was good but I got an unsolved misterious bug in the A.I., but at same time I made a new improvements on first engine that allows it runs between 25 to 35 fps, with medium 30fps, that I am using for Insane Pain and Fight for Revenge, so I decided use the new one to SF.
The musics are remastered by Linkuei hacker Paulo H.G.F., soon as possible we will continue SF with all news features from my newest engine.

Do you have a Megadrive rom of the latest version of SF1 you can send my way so I can have a play at it?!

Zeusdaz

Neo Member
But it is a public version of same old engine, but not the official release, just different a bit the resolution and some collisions and stages.

Hi, downloaded the only SF1 megadrive rom I could find on discord but it only allows me to get to the character select/map screen, I cannot progress any further nomatter what button I press on the controller, can you link me the latest rom you have that is playable please, cheers.

Mauro Flores

Neo Member
Hi, downloaded the only SF1 megadrive rom I could find on discord but it only allows me to get to the character select/map screen, I cannot progress any further nomatter what button I press on the controller, can you link me the latest rom you have that is playable please, cheers.
Are you using Android Emulator to Play if yes please use Retroarch with core PicoDrive, if you are using Fusion on Windows please open Options / Set Config / Controllers / 6 Btn Pad, enable it please, in Retroarch first you need open the game so open the menu to enable similar option. Or if you are using Krikzz X7 it also will have problems with data transfer emulation system of the Card, all will runs fine one X3 or X5.

yurinka

Almost finishing a playable Sagat.
ipW1QCV.png
The game is looking great so far Mauro, big props. Specially having extra playable characters. From these screenshots and info posted the only thing I'd improve it would be the HUD. I'd make it like in the original one, but if you change it I'd make almost the same one seen in SF2.

Top Bottom