• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Someone posted on reddit a picture of their cousin that just had a cyst removed

Status
Not open for further replies.

OraleeWey

exactly what part of his body that is? the reddit link says it's above his ass, but my mind can't comprehend where exactly it is. are those his legs at the bottom of the pic?
No, those are his ass checks. The cyst grew just above his ass checks on his lower back.

It made me think back to Predator, when Jesse Ventura got carved out like a bowl.

It's gross, but I can't help but think about getting some cereal now.

Mariolee

As an aspiring pre-med student, this is the stuff I look forward to.

It's so cool. I mean you could literally eat a bowl of cereal on there.

As an aspiring pre-med student, this is the stuff I look forward to.

It's so cool. I mean you could literally eat a bowl of cereal on there.

image.php

Good God man! haha

Amagon

My favorite subject because I have a few in the back of my neck/head area and had surgery 2 times but it still won't go away. :( I fucking hate it.

MisterHero

Jesus Christ

Wiki said:
One proposed cause of pilonidal cysts is ingrown hair. Excessive sitting is thought to predispose people to the condition because they increase pressure on the coccyx region. Trauma is not believed to cause a pilonidal cyst; however, such an event may result in inflammation of an existing cyst. However there are cases where this can occur months after a localized injury to the area. Some researchers have proposed that pilonidal cysts may be the result of a congenital pilonidal dimple Excessive sweating can also contribute to the cause of a pilonidal cyst. Moisture can fill a stretched hair follicle, which helps create a low-oxygen environment that promotes the growth of anaerobic bacteria, often found in pilonidal cysts. The presence of bacteria and low oxygen levels hamper wound healing and exacerbate a forming pilonidal cyst.

The condition was widespread in the United States Army during World War II. More than eighty thousand soldiers having the condition required hospitalization; the average length of these wartime hospital stays was 55 days. The condition was termed "jeep seat" or "Jeep riders' disease", because a large portion of people who were being hospitalized for it rode in Jeeps, and prolonged rides in the bumpy vehicles were believed to have caused the condition due to irritation and pressure on the coccyx.

Stay active bruhs

Raxious

I had something like this but then pretty much right above my butthole, wound ended up being 7cm long and 5cm deep. Went into surgery 3,5 years ago, it still isn't closed :(

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Glad I have a job where I stand all day and I practice good hygiene. Sounds like my roommate is at high risk though.

o_O

omg...is there a before pic? How could one let a cyst get that big?

Again, the size of the cyst isn't determined by time - the person who had that surgery didn't "let it get big". Those fuckers sneak up on you over the course of 2-3 days. The hole is not the size of the cyst, either. They have to take away the affected tissue AND tissue surrounding it, because otherwise it might get affected as well - if they didn't, there would be a big risk of developing another cyst. The one the OP posted is a really big one, hence they had to cut down to the bone.

I should not have clicked that link.

How does one avoid getting one of these ?

There's no way of completely avoiding it. There's only ways to minimize the risk.
Risk factors include overweight, poor hygiene, lots of hair in the region, sitting all day/a lot, and sweating.

Also, shaving the area can also be as much of a risk factor as not shaving, because when the hair grows back, there's risk of it growing in and infecting.

Close to a decade ago, I had a similar procedure done to remove pilonidal cysts that had developed in that area. They cut them out and let everything grow back together naturally.

I expected to be in a ton of pain, based on what others on the Internet had described, but I was surprised by how little it actually hurt. I used the painkillers (Percs) for maybe 4 days, then stopped.

Guess I was lucky. The pain they caused while sitting and the smell that came from them being gone was a relief.

I wasn't going to click. I read the thread and then clicked. Weekend ruined.

Like others have asked, how the hell does this even heal? I really want to know.

I had a decently sized (But nowhere near THAT size) one surgically removed last year, and it's no fun. I was confined to my bed for two weeks and had a weird rubber pad I wore on my back for that whole time. I still have the scar from it.

The dangers of being hairy.

Raxious

I wasn't going to click. I read the thread and then clicked. Weekend ruined.

Like others have asked, how the hell does this even heal? I really want to know.

it's a fairly simple healing process.

You'll clean it with water. ( usually under the shower )
Fill it completely with bandaging gauze.
repeat it every day.

The thing about these wounds is that a doctor usually prefers it to keep it open, because of the flesh that's removed the wound needs to heal from the inside. If u were to simply put a bandage on it will still close, however just because the skin has healed doesn't mean that what's under it has healed as well. Also, by keeping it open and cleaning it, you actually have less chance of infections then you could have if u were to close it up.

McBryBry

That was......no words.

I've had two cysts in my life, neither left anything THAT bad. One on my neck, which was removed and there isn't even a scar anymore. And one on my arm, which was very recent so it's still healing up some. But it isn't THAT. No, it looks like a normal, small stitched together incision. Not......that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom