• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Songs famously attributed to the wrong artist

Status
Not open for further replies.

antitrop

In the wonderful world of early 2000's MP3 file sharing programs many songs were famously mistitled and the mistakes seeped their way into public consciousness. What are some that you remember?

To this day I still think more people think the reggae version of "Red, Red Wine" is done by Bob Marley than actually know it was done by UB40. This can probably be said about reggae as an entire genre, though.

And of course the classic System of a Down Zelda song that was actually done by The Rabbit Joint.

Patryn

"All Along the Watchtower" is a Bob Dylan song. Hendrix just did a cover of it.

"Nothing Compares 2 U" is not originally by Sinead O'Connor, and was originally a song by a Prince side project, The Family.

EDIT: Oooops. I misunderstood this thread.

New Order's Blue Monday?

Covered by Orgy

This may not have surprised anyone else, but A Perfect Circle's The Nurse Who Loved Me is a Failure song.

Edit: Wow, totally misread the OP.

In that case: it always bugged the hell out of me when I searched for "I Melt With You", and it said The Cure sang it....

In the wonderful world of early 2000's MP3 file sharing programs many songs were famously mistitled and the mistakes seeped their way into public consciousness. What are some that you remember?

To this day I still think more people think the reggae version of "Red, Red Wine" is done by Bob Marley than actually know it was done by UB40.

And of course the classic System of a Down Zelda song that was actually done by The Rabbit Joint.

I don't think I've ever met anyone who doesn't attribute red red wine to ub40

Jacob

To this day I still think more people think the reggae version of "Red, Red Wine" is done by Bob Marley than actually know it was done by UB40.

I think most people assume that all reggae songs were done by Bob Marley. I see the same thing with "Bad Boys" all the time.

Rapstah

It's not really what the thread is about, but a close female friend of mine until recently thought Behind Blue Eyes was actually an original Limp Bizkit song.

antitrop

There's a really great black metal cover of Iron Maiden's "Fear of the Dark" that everyone thought Cradle of Filth did, but it was actually the infinitely more awesome Graveworm.

And yup, doing a Youtube search, plenty of people still attribute it to Cradle of Filth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llYNTcvBo1o

Makes sense since Cradle did a fucking badass version of "Hallowed Be Thy Name". It's one of the only Cradle songs I like.

Martian

Story of a Girl

not by 3 Doors Down, but by Nine Inch Nails (if I'm not mistaken, I still have it under 3 doors down)

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Life Is a Highway was covered by Rascal Flatts for the movie Cars. The original song is by Tom Cochrane, released in 1991. The original sounds better as a song, while the Rascal Flatts version is funnier as a joke. I didn't know about this until a few weeks ago when I looked up the song on Wikipedia.

I feel like there might be some people around that think Smooth Criminal is an Alien Ant Farm original.

"I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston. Originally by Dolly Parton.

Doesn't matter because it's Whitney's song now.

Enron

Banned
The Gourds' cover of "Gin and Juice" was attributed to Phish for a long while back in the late 90s/early 00s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom